So What's the Deal with Death?

117 replies to this topic
Venom
  • Venom

Zpider-Man

• Zaibatsu
  • England

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

I saw this GIF somewhere, it's like a train racing towards you, with the instructions to close your eyes just before it ends.. like you die..There's a strange relief when you do, quite weird.

I do not believe there is life after death.

I'm not scared of death, more-so annoyed by it. I guarantee there'll be something I haven't finished or wanted to do and then my ruddy ol' death gets in the way.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

amplifier worship

• Mongolia

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

I appreciate the thought OP put into the first post, so I'm going to merge this with the slightly older thread.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Lux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

Near-death experiences don't prove the existence of an afterlife, and they don't give you a glance of what happens after death, because you're not actually dead. It's "near-death" not "death". It's also very likely that those dream-like experiences are influenced by the person's beliefs (it would explain why some nonbelievers don't have this sort of experience when they are in critical condition).

Nobody has ever died and come back to life.

Actually, there are people who have been clinically dead but brought back to life. If I remember correctly some of them reported seeing "light" or a glance of some sort of afterlife.

Clinically dead ≠ dead. Also, there are people who report not having these types of experiences, being unconscious the whole time.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Hmm?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 31 December 2013 - 04:59 PM

Clinically dead ≠ biologically dead. It's obvious that you can't come back from being biologically dead so clinically dead is the closest you can get and you choose to believe them or not. Then we can argue back and forth until the end of time about our own beliefs but the simple truth is no one will ever know.

Also, being unconscious is no where near being dead so I'm not sure why that has anything to do with this.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Lux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

You misread my post. I said that there are people who were also declared clinically dead (I posted a link before to a video of Daniel Dennett, whose heart was stopped in order to perform a heart operation) and they report being unconscious, not having the experiences other people describe. If the explanation for NDEs is that your soul wanders out of the body, then why doesn't it happen to all people? This suggest that those experiences are causally linked to the person's beliefs, which would mean that they aren't real (they are dreams). Also, if you're religious, these experiences shouldn't even make sense because your soul is not supposed to wander around.

I'm not saying that there is no afterlife (though I have reasons to believe there isn't, think of cases of brain damage, that's incompatible with the belief in a soul that possesses all your memories after death). I'm saying that NDEs don't prove anything.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

We're robots of nature. Our consciousness exists only because of the brain in our head. There's no f*cking way for an afterlife once the brain stops functioning. As long as it is working, it's all cool.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Lux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

^ I don't think we know everything about consciousness and the human mind to guarantee something like that. I don't expect an afterlife either (I even find the idea of one troublesome, though I find transhumanism interesting), but we simply don't know what happens after death.

milkmansun
  • milkmansun

Detective

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

I saw this GIF somewhere, it's like a train racing towards you, with the instructions to close your eyes just before it ends.. like you die..There's a strange relief when you do, quite weird.

1XLVtJg.gif

• universetwisters likes this

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

c.r.e.a.m

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:20 AM

I'm frightened as f*ck about death. Like others have said, it's the whole idea of non-existence. I truly, 100% believe that the TV just turns off. Blip. Done. And that's scary as h*ll. Not because I've worked for stuff, or a career or anything silly like that. I just want to be.

I can't believe a fairy tale. Believing in heaven is like believing in Snow White. I'll be happy as anything if there really is a tunnel and my old man is there waiting for me. But, like I said, I think the TV turns off.

I think this post sums up the topic, in my opinion. It actually brought tears to my eyes.

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:40 AM

Death is not natural as scientists say. However, I do feel a bit relieved knowing that I won't have to live forever.

What do you mean it isn't natural? I know you posted over a month ago, but really, I'm curious.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Death is inevitable.. no matter how it happens.. embrace it.

Instead, live your life to the fullest.. that way when the time comes, you've done all that you can be in the ARMMMYYY. 

Tyler
  • Tyler

we can build you

• Unknown

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

Death is not natural as scientists say. However, I do feel a bit relieved knowing that I won't have to live forever.

What do you mean it isn't natural? I know you posted over a month ago, but really, I'm curious.

Yao probably meant that organic life being killed off by outside forces isn't inherently natural and isn't technically inevitable. I would agree with this line of thought but add that programmed cell death is inevitable and is part of a healthy organic structure. This however does not mean that death itself is inevitable -- the maintenance of organic tissue through healthy cell reproduction and cycling means that the living creature in turn lives longer. So in that respect, death is somewhat intertwined with life, but not an inevitable fact for life itself.

Also he might have been referring to the technological movement of transhumanism which refers to organic death as more of an inconvenience than something that must happen to all living creatures.  

• F4L? likes this

MMC_BITW
  • MMC_BITW

Nobody Interesting

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

You see, every time I think about death, I want to see it for myself. I mean, so far my life has been an utter failure. So much of a failure that death is the only logical solution.

RedBull FM
  • RedBull FM

#BUCKLEUPBABY

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm not worried about dying, because you will become another person. But you will probably not know about yourself. Scary sh*t.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yao probably meant that organic life being killed off by outside forces isn't inherently natural and isn't technically inevitable. I would agree with this line of thought but add that programmed cell death is inevitable and is part of a healthy organic structure. This however does not mean that death itself is inevitable -- the maintenance of organic tissue through healthy cell reproduction and cycling means that the living creature in turn lives longer. So in that respect, death is somewhat intertwined with life, but not an inevitable fact for life itself.

Also he might have been referring to the technological movement of transhumanism which refers to organic death as more of an inconvenience than something that must happen to all living creatures.  

Pretty much what I meant.

However, then there's the example of jellyfish. Those f*ckers don't die of old age.

• Tyler likes this

nobum62
  • nobum62

douchebag who owns a chromed zentorno

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

your dumb.

*you're
don't call someone dumb if you spell like you are dumb.

OT: very interesting post.

I always wondered why religious people are afraid of death when they believe in heaven.

they think that if you die, you go to heaven. if you are sure this is true then why are you afraid of death? you are going to a f*cking paradise. you never have to go to school or work again, and you can get all the whores you want.

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Gangsta

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

B======|-)  - - - - -- -- - -  - ----------- -- - - --       (o(-|-- :blink:

Haha, I never really contributed to this forum, did I?

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

DEATH. MORTE. し.ぬ

THE VOOOOOOOOOID!

Many names are given for the act of not existing anymore, and for centuries philosophers, poets and religious leaders have discussed it. What is death? What is beyond death? If there is nothing beyond death and death is inevitable, what is the point in life? If there is something beyond this life, then what is the point of doing anything in this life? If there is something beyond this life, what is the purpose of this life? A test? Deity amusement? All very important, thought provoking and discourse creating questions. What do you think? Does the notion of death and possible eternal nothingness scare you? Or are you okay with this? Or do you reject this idea and believe in a form of existence beyond this mortal coil? Maybe you believe in reincarnation. Maybe you believe on a philosophical level that you never truly 'die' as we all live on in our genetics and our mark on future generations through actions or through art. So many intellectually stimulating possibilities to consider.

Great question, it's not that I'm afraid to die. It's I'm afraid of what's on the other side. Afraid of how my loved ones will handle my demise. If there is a God, big man, how ever you refer to a higher power I'm scared to have not lived my life right because if there is a place for reward (heaven) there is a place for punishment (hell). In late 2010 I had a blood infection (sepsis, and was in septic shock. After a pic line got some bacteria on the tip (the side that lead directly to my heart) I ended up with blood clots in my leg and lung. Thankfully they did not move to the brain or I would have surely died. Well actually my heart did stop they had to use a defibulator to resseitate me. Right before Inlost consciousness I remember thinking sh*t I did not get to tell my family good bye or that I loved them. Then I woke up in a icu with 6 IV lines going alive but barely I don't recall standing in front of any gates or feeling any burn but that does not mean anything. Anyway I do believe in a place for reward only because some of us lead such painful lives full of sorrow and suffering that my hope is that once I do kick the bucket I will have a place where I won't be in constant pain, and not have to worry about is today the day?

ivpanzer
  • ivpanzer

assassin

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

death is pure intelligence in a spiritual form

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:29 PM Edited by WhatsStrength, 04 February 2014 - 06:30 PM.

This Mark Twain quote is what helped me overcome my fear of death.

" I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."

gnad.1992
  • gnad.1992

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

What the f*ck.. I just checked the Piccolo day thread from OP..

anyway, I'm not scared of death.

TheGreenSadler
  • TheGreenSadler

I like the Dodge Coronet.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have a feeling there is something after death but, not totally sure what it is. Could it be a heaven or reincarnation? who knows. There has to be something, I mean how would you know that you're dead? Maybe when we die our spirit drifts into a spiritual realm with everyone else who has passed. Sounds ridiculous but, what else do you expect. Eternal nothingness also sounds ridiculous. Years of emotions and achievements just disappear forever and you no longer have feeling or thought. IDK, blanking out forever once you die just doesn't seem right. What? you die and suddenly you no longer feel anything or even know that you're dead for that matter. Maybe we'll never know until we die ourselves. 

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:16 AM

What the f*ck.. I just checked the Piccolo day thread from OP..

anyway, I'm not scared of death.

Excuse me? I didn't make that stupid f*cking thread.

Anyway yeah, death. Still terrified of the idea.

Nipperkins
  • Nipperkins

Lord of the Nipples

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Somalia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

We must pay our tributes to Piccolo lest he kill us all. 

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

death dealt the card when you were born, and only death knows what you have in your hand and what cards will be on the table. Some call it fate..

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:32 PM

I'm not convinced that people don't fear death. It's hardwired into us. It's easy to say that not existing any more ain't no thing when you're 20 years old and invincible with the world at your feet. When you're older and there's so much you could have done, I don't doubt there's not a one among us who wouldn't ask for just a little more time.

Anyway, I'm mostly agnostic really so my thoughts on the afterlife are a bit muddled. I don't really believe in a god so i expect death to be very much the last stop on the tour. I live my life trying to do the best I can by others, so if there is a god I'd like to think they'd judge me on my actions (and my intentions) and let me in to experience the good stuff. If they're a god who'll punish me for not praying five times a day/going to a specific building once a week/whatever despite being an okay guy, well, that's not a deity I want to do business with anyway.

What I'd really like in death is a little post-game report. A "game over lobby", if you like. I'd want to be able to look over all the statistics of my life from the mundane all the way up. Anything you could think of: distance travelled, number of different people met, number of hamburgers eaten, total amount of drugs taken/alcohol drank etc. It'd be nice if you could go over situations in a play-by-play style too, and ask questions. If you could ask "What was this person really thinking here? What would have happened if I'd done x instead?" Sure, you might find out a lot of stuff that would have been more useful at the time but what can you do about it? You're dead.

That nice little review lobby would be nice, with the option to say "That's it! I'm done here!" and check out once and for all. Yeah. That'd be nice I guess.

• universetwisters likes this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:45 AM Edited by Red XIII, 06 February 2014 - 12:58 AM.

I think of it like this - If we weren't conscious  before we were born why would we go somewhere when we die? death is just like before being born, we weren't anywhere and we're not going anywhere after we die. People like to believe in life after death because their scaredof dying on a sub conscious level. We like to have something to hold on too, the thought of us not existing scares us.

The only thing I'm scared of is the pain seconds before death. I really hope I die peacefully, preferably in my sleep.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:47 AM

What I'd really like in death is a little post-game report. A "game over lobby", if you like. I'd want to be able to look over all the statistics of my life from the mundane all the way up. Anything you could think of: distance travelled, number of different people met, number of hamburgers eaten, total amount of drugs taken/alcohol drank etc. It'd be nice if you could go over situations in a play-by-play style too, and ask questions. If you could ask "What was this person really thinking here? What would have happened if I'd done x instead?" Sure, you might find out a lot of stuff that would have been more useful at the time but what can you do about it? You're dead.

I wonder how many hamburgers I've eaten within my 17 years of existence.

OT: The thought of no afterlife terrifies me. Just the thought of not existing, either in material form or an afterlife form gives me the heebie jeebies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users