Photo

So What's the Deal with Death?

117 replies to this topic
Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

But why is it scary? It's not as if you're aware you're a decomposing corpse, slowly having your flesh being devoured by an army of maggots and other undesireables, until you're nothing but a collection of bone marrow lying in what's left of a box six feet under the ground. You're unaware, so what's so scary about that?

It's scary to think about while you're alive...

Scary? Ok, let us look at an alternative method to burial - cremation. You're not going to be aware that you're in a coffin or different type of container, with a 900ºC oven awaiting you. You're not going to be aware as you're sliding into this oven like a vegetable making its way along the food processing factory conveyor belt. You're not going to be aware as your once active, full of life body is being blow-torched from all angles until there is nothing left but a fine sand-like texture of mess. You're not aware of this, so why be scared?

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

But why is it scary? It's not as if you're aware you're a decomposing corpse, slowly having your flesh being devoured by an army of maggots and other undesireables, until you're nothing but a collection of bone marrow lying in what's left of a box six feet under the ground. You're unaware, so what's so scary about that?

Scary? Ok, let us look at an alternative method to burial - cremation. You're not going to be aware that you're in a coffin or different type of container, with a 900ºC oven awaiting you. You're not going to be aware as you're sliding into this oven like a vegetable making its way along the food processing factory conveyor belt. You're not going to be aware as your once active, full of life body is being blow-torched from all angles until there is nothing left but a fine sand-like texture of mess. You're not aware of this, so why be scared?

It's not the post death stuff that people are afraid of, it's the passing from life to not life.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

It's not the post death stuff that people are afraid of, it's the passing from life to not life.

If you go in your sleep/peacefully you won't even notice it. Think of it as an eternal nap. 

• Rougarou, WhatsStrength and Lucchese like this

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

Seriously, is the irony of my last few posts going right over everybody's heads here?

*backs the f*ck out, and runs the f*ck away

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

If you go in your sleep/peacefully you won't even notice it. Think of it as an eternal nap. 

I have enough trouble sleeping as it is, so thanks for this nice addition!

lucid121
  • lucid121

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Before I was born, I didn't exist. So why should I have a problem now?

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

I agree. I would prefer to die in my sleep.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Be proud that you fear death. The way I see it, all your fear means is that you've got something worth clinging onto.

I've realised this recently myself. I never wanted to keep living, but now I've got some good work to complete that could maybe make other people happy :)

I don't want to die right now, and that's a pretty wonderful feeling.

• Failure and Nah Tso Gud like this

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Before I was born, I didn't exist. So why should I have a problem now?

I think that's a bit silly but I can appreciate the abstract thought. Thinking about it, going from nothingness to existence is pretty amazing, so I think it's fair to say that, going from existence back to nothingness could be, at the very least, disappointing. 

I mean, I'm fine with my financial situation as it currently is, but if I was fortunate enough to win the mega-millions this Tuesday only to have it all taken away from me shortly afterwards returning me back to my current financial situation, should I be OK with that? Personally I would be PISSED, haha. 

Since I am currently able to think, I find it a bit sad that I won't get to see what will happen in the future: seeing the lives of my loved ones unfold, what humans will eventually achieve, what we will find out about ourselves, what will we find throughout the universe..

Nudg3r
  • Nudg3r

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Sometimes I thought of having an eternal life would be boring. Im really interested what would happen aftef death.

Not say I want to die now. We will all see!

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

?

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:10 AM

I have no fear, I have curious to see if there is light and darkness between two roads called heaven and hell, visit these places and choose to live an eternal life would be fun.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:20 PM Edited by Wolfhuman, 18 December 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Don't even bother to make a new topic when you didn't answered my GOD topic lol..

hooma
  • hooma

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

We're so used to being (it's all our consciousness can comprehend, actually) that this is at least a foreign concept to all of our experience. And yes, it can be frightening.

Epicurius said it simply but pretty well. "When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not"

So basically don't worry about it? You can never know death. You can only know being. Likewise, death can never know you.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yep

What is death? the end of life the time when someone or something dies

What is beyond death? Maybe Heaven, maybe hell, maybe reincarnation, Maybe we will be ghosts maybe noting. Maybe our consciousness we not be there anymore, we won't experience literally nothing. Maybe we will drain in the emptiness of the universe like there is nothing that has or has been ever existed.

If there is nothing beyond death and death is inevitable, what is the point in life? The point? Well maybe there is no point maybe evolution has gone wrong. Maybe we even shouldn't be alive. Maybe we weren't supposed to exist. The universe maybe also shouldn't have existed. Nothing would be here because nothing exist. And when there is nothing, there is nothing.

If there is something beyond this life, then what is the point of doing anything in this life? No one knows, just make the best out of it.

If there is something beyond this life, what is the purpose of this life? A test? Deity amusement? If God exist, then maybe it is a test. Or maybe not. Why would God test us? What is the purpose of testing? Is the test a test itself? But what if the test does not exist. Then why did God has put us here. Or did God put us here? What if God has not put us here? What if we put ourselves here? But how can we put ourselves near when we first have to be created before we can move? Did someone else put us here? Purpose, maybe there is no purpose. Maybe we are here without a reason. But if we are here without a reason, then still who or what has put us here?

What do you think? Does the notion of death and possible eternal nothingness scare you? If it is nothingness, then no. Maybe we won't have the consciousness to experience it.

Or are you okay with this? Yep

Or do you reject this idea and believe in a form of existence beyond this mortal coil? Don't know, can't tell..

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

YOU DONT LIVE FOREVER SO WHY SHOULD YOU DIE FOREVER?

FOLLOW ME!

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

http://www.icr.org/law-conservation/

I don't believe there has to be a god for there to be some kind of afterlife.

Energy carries on.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think about the time before I was born, and realize there´s nothing to fear about the idea not to exist.

Not existing is peace.

Death is the only democracy that works. No matter what You have here, You gonna face the inevitable. Everyone becomes same.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

going from existence back to nothingness could be, at the very least, disappointing. 

if death is "nothingness," then it's impossible to be disappointed.

you have to be alive to feel the feeling of disappointment. if you're dead, you wouldn't even know it let alone feel bad about it.

heer
  • heer

I like girls

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm an atheist.I dream about dying a lot.Whenever I know I am about to die, I am terrified. My heart quickens at the thought, as though it were trying to escape my body before it fails. I scream, and every bit of me begins to strain itself. A sudden tension.
But the milisecond before death relieves my body of its tension and of its life, everything is fine. A calm comes over me. Where the spirit passes, darkness consumes. I do not see it fade to black so much as I feel it happening.

I notice that there was once a constant prickle in my brain, because it is no longer there. I realize there had once been a fine, constant awareness to my skin, because I no longer feel it. Everything is gone.

There are only thoughts and they fade too, except for the notion that everything is dwindling down to the pit of my stomach. The visual of a translucent body comes to my sleeping mind, and I am reminded of plums (always, of plums). In the middle of the body, where the naval sits, is the glowing aura of what I assume to be my soul. But this image is fleeting, and lasts for only the blink of an eye.

I am dead for no more than a second. And then I wake up in my dream. And death wasn't so bad. The plum in my naval blossoms once more, and I live again.

would love to hear your thoughts since this is an awesome community

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 31 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

It's really hard to discuss death, sure it happens at every second/minute/hour of the day but what happens afterwards?

Is it an eternal darkness?

Is there an actual after-life?

Is there an actual god?

Who knows.. all I know is that I embrace death and when my time comes, I'm ready. I've seen shows where people had a 'glance' into some sort of life/after-life prior to being brought back to life.. but I'm still skeptical. I really don't know what may come, as an atheist, I've had dreams actually come to life to where it's actually more than just Deja vu.. It's actually happening. Is it some sort of psychic ability or does everyone experience this phenomenon? I don't know. I just hope that death either has more life when I'm gone or an existence of nothing. That way I never knew or just lie there in an infinite of nothing. Perhaps we all actually reincarnate? Would be cool.. but hopefully not something useless as a car tire or piece of coral. 

• Spider-Vice likes this

Hangover
  • Hangover

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think there's nothing after death. We don't exist anymore. We won't feel or see anything, our bodies will be just objects after we die.

We just don't know how it ... "is"... to be non-existend.

Did we exist before we were born? No. We don't know how it was before our birth, just because there was absolutely NOTHING of us. We did not exist. And we will not exist anymore after we die. There will be just a rotting body of us that once was alive.

Our whole identity is delivered by our living brain. When our brain is dead, we will be dead. Our personality will be dead. We won't see or feel anything anymore, we're gone.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:06 PM Edited by Criѕtian, 31 December 2013 - 02:06 PM.

Who knows.. all I know is that I embrace death and when my time comes, I'm ready. I've seen shows where people had a 'glance' into some sort of life/after-life prior to being brought back to life..

Near-death experiences don't prove the existence of an afterlife, and they don't give you a glance of what happens after death, because you're not actually dead. It's "near-death" not "death". It's also very likely that those dream-like experiences are influenced by the person's beliefs (it would explain why some nonbelievers don't have this sort of experience when they are in critical condition).

Nobody has ever died and come back to life.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Makes sense.. I still wouldn't mind being reincarnated to Panz' verginer.

Nordniedersachse
  • Nordniedersachse

Herr Lauch

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:19 PM Edited by Preusse, 31 December 2013 - 02:21 PM.

There's a universal law saying "energy cannot be created or destroyed", I hope the energy of my "soul" will remain as a thinking being and leave my body, and not be turned into a flame of a firelighter or be turned into a part of a supernova somewhere in the milky way or something like that. I actually believe the soul will live on after the body died. I'm afraid if this is not true, because I can't imagine to disappear completely and I find the thought of continueing life as let's say a ghost or in beyond pretty interesting. On the other hand living as a ghost might be very sad and boring in my imagination.

I hope there is more than our limited human lifes. You can't even fly or know why you and the universe are existing. You just can walk very slowly around on this planet with your nothing knowing brain. Everything seems very restricted and the humans not really to be free. I hope there is more in afterlife. I don't want to disappear completely and I want to be able to do what I can imagine.

Andreaz1
  • Andreaz1

Anything 80's

• Members
  • Sweden
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Near-death experiences don't prove the existence of an afterlife, and they don't give you a glance of what happens after death, because you're not actually dead. It's "near-death" not "death". It's also very likely that those dream-like experiences are influenced by the person's beliefs (it would explain why some nonbelievers don't have this sort of experience when they are in critical condition).

Nobody has ever died and come back to life.

Actually, there are people who have been clinically dead but brought back to life. If I remember correctly some of them reported seeing "light" or a glance of some sort of afterlife.
  • GunWrath likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

What? You wouldn't want to be a supernova? Dude, I'll blast out gamma rays as much as I could..

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

Lucky 38

• The Precinct
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yeah I already made a thread about this, it was pretty good.

• theadmiral likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

I get f*cking scared thinking about life after death. Will there even be an afterlife, as opposed to eternal nothingness? And even then, will the afterlife be worth waiting for, or will it turn out to be equally boring as eternal nothingness? Where you mingle with dead people for the entirety of eternity?

If there is life after death, though, and if heaven's such a good place it's made out to be, I'm sure there's gonna be enough model trains and happy hardcore to keep me entertained for eternity, I hope.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

I'm agnostic and my thought about death is quite uncertain. All I know is that it'll happen for sure, what happens afterwards is unknown to me. Will it just END?! That doesn't seem to make too much sense? Will there be an after life? We can't prove it.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

If reincarnation turns out to be true, it could be that death could be a blessing for some since you will get to start again in possibly a more enjoyable life. Who knows! Anything could happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users