Photo

Why do you think Rockstar hasn't put a good fighting system into a

44 replies to this topic
MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

Over 8 inches BPEL of meat.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:40 AM Edited by MonsterCockDude, 31 December 2013 - 09:42 AM.

They have made brawlers before, and they have had some decent ideas in past GTA games, or in Red Dead Redemption, but they haven't managed to fully put it together yet.

Also, I'm a big fan of these games, so I'm not trying to hate on them, but I think we can all agree that with the great attention to detail Rockstar puts into the series, that the hand to hand combat itself is lacking still.

Here are some things they did in past games they had made that should have been put in, that could have  made for a better fighting system.

1) Bring back the push or the shove button from GTAIV, yes you can shove in this game but it's a lot harder to do as you have to run into the person and it doesn't work that often and it doesn't really work well in fights anyway, since you are punching with the trigger, why not have just made circle ( on the ps3 controller ) the shove button, imagine if a group of ballas were going to fight Franklin and you just ran at one and timed the shove right and pushed him to the floor and had the time to run back to your car.

2) Make it so people don't just die from a fight, but rather get knocked down, or out, or back off, they had this in GTAIV and yes the animation looked stupid when you punched a guy in the face knocked him down then 5 seconds later he gets up walking slowly hunched over holding his stomach, but it's better then having your guy punch a guy and it killing him, and it would also be better if the cops responded to this and tried to break up fights, or arrest both of you rather then seeing a fight and potentially shooting at you quickly if you try to run from it.

3) Why did they get rid of the blocking? Yeah the blocking in GTAIV wasn't good, but now people are fighting with their hands down almost all the time and it looks silly, how about making it so you hold the box button ( on the ps3 controller ) and your character will automatically try to block everything, however he now can be pushed or shoved, or tackled, or if the guy keeps throwing a combination eventually punched will come through and hit him.

4) Put in tackling, this was in Red Dead Redemption, and although it wasn't implemented well, how about if we could press triangle or something ( on the ps3 controller ) while in combat, and go for a tackle or take down, imagine if cops could try to enter a room or get behind you and tackle you to arrest you, or if you were in a 2 on 1 fight or a 3 on 1 fight with the ballas and one comes from behind and tackles you, or your in a stealth mission and you get behind a guy and tackle him then then restrain him.

5) Make the AI smarter and use all of these features. The AI fighter usually just does a 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 where they hardly dodge punches or slip them and just throw random punches at you, and they don't coordinate their attacks, imagine if you used Franklin and went onto a block with ballas and they tried to jump you, and they chased you down and surrounded you, and some threw punches from the front while another runs from behind, pushes you and then all start kicking you. Or imagine some pedestrian you fight with, is a good boxer, and actually blocks and weaves your punches and throws some good combinations and is a good challenge.

This could improve the game a lot, what do you guys think?

Edit: They didn't do the 5th thing in a previous game, but they should. Also this should apply to fighting with melee weapons as well, if you pull out a bat or a knife people should just run away or try to back up or be more afraid, also they should get rid of the glitchy sliding thing where you lock onto a guy and throw a punch from far away and your guy sort of slides over to him.

• Chaise, Xx-ADITYA-xX, Crimson Flam3s and 3 others like this

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

I think it's not possible for me to ignore your genuine points. I'd love to have most of it implemented. Yes, I agree and support.

• Tashan, IGhostUlt and matajuegos01 like this

Vanto
  • Vanto

Gangsta

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

I agree with you on the last thing. The IA is not smarter even in missions, like in Complications, when you fight Simeon.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Because A, this isn't a brawler focused game therefore B, not a lot of time is spent in fist fights when you have RPG's, shotguns and miniguns, and C, because much more time went into developing and fine tuning the driving mechanics/shooting mechanics/ flying mechanics and other things that people would actually spend considerable time doing in the game. 

Sure a more in depth fighting system would've been cool, but so would've a larger forest, or another city, or more guns, or more cars, or more shirts or shoes.. There's just a certain line that is unnecessary to cross when you really don't even need to cross in the first place.

razorsharkhead
  • razorsharkhead

Cockstar Employee

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

they were too busy implementing yoga. 

• Choco Taco, Xx-ADITYA-xX, Legomanarthur and 5 others like this

MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:11 AM Edited by MonsterCockDude, 31 December 2013 - 10:11 AM.

Because A, this isn't a brawler focused game therefore B, not a lot of time is spent in fist fights when you have RPG's, shotguns and miniguns, and C, because much more time went into developing and fine tuning the driving mechanics/shooting mechanics/ flying mechanics and other things that people would actually spend considerable time doing in the game. 

Sure a more in depth fighting system would've been cool, but so would've a larger forest, or another city, or more guns, or more cars, or more shirts or shoes.. There's just a certain line that is unnecessary to cross when you really don't even need to cross in the first place.

Yeah but, they built a more realistic and in depth world, and have been trying to put in more realistic game mechanics this generation, I would prefer, if they didn't put in miniguns had the rocket launcher maybe only at one part, and put in these mechanics, because they would also make for better stealth and heist missions as well.

What if you had a heist where you would sneak into a place, and then not use a gun, but instead tackle people and try to restrain them and tie them up and cover their mouth and hide them and not get spotted, it would have fit in better in my opinion then having heists where you are 3 people fighting against 50 while you have a guy use a rocket launcher, or a heist where you shoot down an attack helicopter, or take on 50 or so trained soliders.

• MagzGTA and IGhostUlt like this

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

they were too busy implementing yoga. 

haha lol.This is the first time i would agree with a thread critizing GTA 5 flaws,I love GTA 5 to death but the fighting sysem is fake.although it a good change for this series auto-aim fighting system.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

Coded. Not stirred.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'd rather them focus on a perfect shooting system than hand-to-hand combat.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yeah but, they built a more realistic and in depth world, and have been trying to put in more realistic game mechanics this generation, I would prefer, if they didn't put in miniguns had the rocket launcher maybe only at one part, and put in these mechanics, because they would also make for better stealth and heist missions as well.

What if you had a heist where you would sneak into a place, and then not use a gun, but instead tackle people and try to restrain them and tie them up and cover their mouth and hide them and not get spotted, it would have fit in better in my opinion then having heists where you are 3 people fighting against 50 while you have a guy use a rocket launcher, or a heist where you shoot down an attack helicopter, or take on 50 or so trained soliders.

I think you're missing point which that sort of gameplay you're proposing only really suits your 'what-if' hypotheticals rather than what R* actually ended up putting in the game..

R* didn't add an in depth fighting system because they didn't see it to fit the story or that it was just very needed. IMO I actually think hand combat is still rather good especially considering it being GTA; you have punches, kicks, dodge and counter punches along with melee weapons as well.

Tanks, jets, fast cars, miniguns, machine guns, RPGS, grenade launchers and big explosions > punching someone in the gut because you hit a 4 button combo

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

When playing GTA V melee fights have not changed too much ( in comparison to GTA IV ) and that's the whole point regarding melee.

We need some changes to the melee system, if not better.

BumpyJohnson
  • BumpyJohnson

Original Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:43 PM Edited by BumpyJohnson, 02 January 2014 - 07:53 PM.

I feel your pain.  I hate when ppl claim its still good.  Those ppl clearly don't use it much bcuz theyre too busy blowing sh*t up so they don't care how lame it is.  If you don't care about the mele combat please stfu about it bcuz you're wrong.  It suks really bad.  Its a HUGE step backwards.  Here is a thread I made suggesting how to make it better and it can be done in a patch.

http://gtaforums.com...he-mele-combat/

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

if you want a GTA styled brawler then play Sleeping Dogs. GTA is for rampages with big guns not fist of fury.

although i do agree that the brawling in the game is down right terrible. even when i push the punch button they will kick. annoying

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:54 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's a lot better?

I mean, sure blocking isn't there. But what good is that gonna do me when I'm fighting 3 guys at once and Niko has the multitasking ability of a banana?

And about knockouts. When someone's knocked out, he may take hours to wake up... While I'm sure they won't get up if you literally wait hours around a dead body in-game, but you can't expect him to get knocked out and get back up during the time it took you to make a punch.

• Xx-ADITYA-xX likes this

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Personally, I thinh they should make it so when you aim, each button is an individual punch.

Like A is a left hook B is right hook, X is jab Y is cross, XandA at same time is left uppercut YandB is right uppercut, like the fight night series. That way we are actually controlling the actions instead of using terrible animated combos.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:50 PM

Agreed with all of them. I think it's the best it's ever been on a GTA, but that's not saying much. I really wish they would take a number from the Arkham games like Sleeping Dogs did, which turned out great. Or at the very least, they could implement a system like Bully: simple, fluid, and fun.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Agree. Also they should remove being able to punch someone without aiming at them so we can't punch anyone from 10m (the character gets scripted speed boost to punch, like police to ram your back)

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

This fighting system is probably the best there ever was in any GTA (IV fighting was too slow and sloppy). And still it is bad, it's probably the weakest feature in any GTA so far. At least in 3D era everyything was arcady so it could fly.. but it's bad compared to the rest of the game.

They definitely need a few improvements, more fluid combat, better reaction from AI and no single punch kills.

MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

Am I the only one who thinks it's a lot better?

I mean, sure blocking isn't there. But what good is that gonna do me when I'm fighting 3 guys at once and Niko has the multitasking ability of a banana?

And about knockouts. When someone's knocked out, he may take hours to wake up... While I'm sure they won't get up if you literally wait hours around a dead body in-game, but you can't expect him to get knocked out and get back up during the time it took you to make a punch.

Yeah but I think it would be better if your character wasn't able to easily win fights with 3 guys at once, also when fighting groups of people usually only two guys attack anyway ( or atleast that was how it was in GTAIV while the rest stand back ), so with one on one fights having blocking would be much better.

Also part of the issue is that this game treats a knockout as if you killed the person, you should be able to knock people down for a bit, so you have time to leave before the time they get back up, or knock them out for a bit, or knock them down and have them get scared off or not want to fight anymore.

It would also be cool if how people react to fights is different, the game reacts to winning a fight similar to if you shot the guy, instead it would be cool if for example...

you were Franklin fighting some ballas, if during the fight random people on the street pulled out a phone to record it similar to when you drive around in a nice car and people do that to react to your car, while screaming a parody of world star hip hop or something, or to have some people call the cops, or to have people try to get between the guys fighting and break it up.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

BOX BUTTON?

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Playa

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:15 PM

I agree with you OP! you made some good suggestions 

lets hope Rockstar realizes this because the fighting system has always been pretty bad in all GTA games

I thought with GTA IV there were going into the right direction but they dumbed it down in V

I would have preffered a better fighting system over freaking yoga and golf anytime

carl turtle
  • carl turtle

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

true dat, nobody fights like that, for example i fight like this

tumblr_maw3dluxwq1ra8x0no1_500.gif

esato
  • esato

Playa

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

They have made brawlers before, and they have had some decent ideas in past GTA games, or in Red Dead Redemption, but they haven't managed to fully put it together yet.

Also, I'm a big fan of these games, so I'm not trying to hate on them, but I think we can all agree that with the great attention to detail Rockstar puts into the series, that the hand to hand combat itself is lacking still.

Here are some things they did in past games they had made that should have been put in, that could have  made for a better fighting system.

1) Bring back the push or the shove button from GTAIV, yes you can shove in this game but it's a lot harder to do as you have to run into the person and it doesn't work that often and it doesn't really work well in fights anyway, since you are punching with the trigger, why not have just made circle ( on the ps3 controller ) the shove button, imagine if a group of ballas were going to fight Franklin and you just ran at one and timed the shove right and pushed him to the floor and had the time to run back to your car.

2) Make it so people don't just die from a fight, but rather get knocked down, or out, or back off, they had this in GTAIV and yes the animation looked stupid when you punched a guy in the face knocked him down then 5 seconds later he gets up walking slowly hunched over holding his stomach, but it's better then having your guy punch a guy and it killing him, and it would also be better if the cops responded to this and tried to break up fights, or arrest both of you rather then seeing a fight and potentially shooting at you quickly if you try to run from it.

3) Why did they get rid of the blocking? Yeah the blocking in GTAIV wasn't good, but now people are fighting with their hands down almost all the time and it looks silly, how about making it so you hold the box button ( on the ps3 controller ) and your character will automatically try to block everything, however he now can be pushed or shoved, or tackled, or if the guy keeps throwing a combination eventually punched will come through and hit him.

4) Put in tackling, this was in Red Dead Redemption, and although it wasn't implemented well, how about if we could press triangle or something ( on the ps3 controller ) while in combat, and go for a tackle or take down, imagine if cops could try to enter a room or get behind you and tackle you to arrest you, or if you were in a 2 on 1 fight or a 3 on 1 fight with the ballas and one comes from behind and tackles you, or your in a stealth mission and you get behind a guy and tackle him then then restrain him.

5) Make the AI smarter and use all of these features. The AI fighter usually just does a 1 on 1 or 2 on 1 where they hardly dodge punches or slip them and just throw random punches at you, and they don't coordinate their attacks, imagine if you used Franklin and went onto a block with ballas and they tried to jump you, and they chased you down and surrounded you, and some threw punches from the front while another runs from behind, pushes you and then all start kicking you. Or imagine some pedestrian you fight with, is a good boxer, and actually blocks and weaves your punches and throws some good combinations and is a good challenge.

This could improve the game a lot, what do you guys think?

Edit: They didn't do the 5th thing in a previous game, but they should. Also this should apply to fighting with melee weapons as well, if you pull out a bat or a knife people should just run away or try to back up or be more afraid, also they should get rid of the glitchy sliding thing where you lock onto a guy and throw a punch from far away and your guy sort of slides over to him.

GTAV is good almost in everything... but I think that R* should have learned with United Front Games... Sleeping Dogs have the best Fighting System that I saw to a sandbox.

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:52 PM

I don't really care about melee. Who needs fists when you have a lot of guns at your disposal? :)

MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

I don't really care about melee. Who needs fists when you have a lot of guns at your disposal? :)

But that's the point, they made the game world more realistic, and tried to make other features more realistic and better, and they improved the level of detail... the game should have more fist fights, as opposed to just pure shootouts.

Imagine if at the start, Franklin would some missions where he would bail Lamar out of getting jumped, or they would have missions where they would have to enforce some sort of drug turf in the neighborhood and would have to have fist fights with guys as opposed to shooting them, it would have made sense in the story, and gave more things to do in the hood as well, along with making it so it seemed like Franklin was more small time as well, which would have made the heists later in the game feel more like something new for him.

Also you could have had Michael get into some fights for his kids early on as well, he could have had still been in retirement, but could have found hard drugs in one of his kids room, then followed them until he saw them buy them, then beat up the dealers.

MonsterCockDude
  • MonsterCockDude

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:35 PM Edited by MonsterCockDude, 02 January 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Imagine if the story started about a few months before where it started, and at the time Franklin was working repo jobs, and doing some low level hustling with Lamar, and Michael was with his family and retired but still dealing with the issues they had, and Trevor was involved in the meth and arms trade and was still somewhat friendly with the Lost and Aztecas, and could have been pimping as well.

We could have gotten a couple missions where Franklin prevented Lamar from getting jumped, they had to attack a group of guys selling drugs on their turf, they could have had a mission where they robbed someone's home, they could have had a mission where they rob a drug dealer.

Michael could have had missions where he got into a fight with Tracey's boyfriend, or with a guy who sold her pills or coke, or could have went into a party and had to beat up a group of guys to get her out of the party.

Trevor could have missions where he was pimping and protecting the women and driving them around, and could have had missions where he would personally be involved in selling meth to the Lost, and dealing guns.

All of these missions could have been low level, and with a good fighting system wouldn't have needed guns (edit the home invasion mission could be a stealth mission where the point is to not get spotted at all ), and would have been fun, and make sense in the story, and make the game seem more realistic, and longer, and give more things to do.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:45 PM Edited by cp1dell, 02 January 2014 - 11:49 PM.

I'd rather them focus on a perfect shooting system than hand-to-hand combat.

It's funny that you say this. The OP is talking about how the fighting is always lacking in GTA, but they've done it well in previous games.

Now you're saying you'd rather have a perfect shooting system. I find that funny, because they've done it before (Max Payne 3) but in V it's still not as good. This is one of the points the OP is trying to make.

A lot of you are saying "Who cares about melee? We have guns."

I bet if the fighting system in V was well put together, fun, and had some missions or activities centered around it you wouldn't bat an eye. It's just because it's pretty lackluster that no one cares about it.

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

I agree, fighting sucks in this game, i cant believe spent time in golf and yoga instead of making a fun fighting club minigame along with arm wrestling minigame.

Something simple with like 15 combos, blocking, a couple grappling moves and tackling would have been awesome.

Also thanks to scripted animations, fights online with more than 2 persons are laggy as f*ck.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 03 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

I agree, fighting sucks in this game, i cant believe spent time in golf and yoga instead of making a fun fighting club minigame along with arm wrestling minigame.

Something simple with like 15 combos, blocking, a couple grappling moves and tackling would have been awesome.

Also thanks to scripted animations, fights online with more than 2 persons are laggy as f*ck.

Have you tried that Rockstar Verified, user created DM at Bolingbroke Penitentiary? I accepted an invite to a forced fist fight only & it was absolutely awful. Can't believe R* chose that as one of their first verified DM's. 

Like others have said already. There are some improvements to melee combat, but like many revised & reiterated features, they giveth & taketh away in equal measure.

• Crimson Flam3s likes this

Crimson Flam3s
  • Crimson Flam3s

Live Free or Die Trying

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:07 AM

Yeah, it f*cking sucks, it's laggy as f*ck and you can't defens yourself, once someone punches you, your character stumles backward and you keep getting hit out of f*cking nowhere.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

The Libertonian grandmaster

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

I really think the only thing that makes melee better in GTA V compared to GTA IV is it's not quite as clunky. Other than that it's sh*t IMO. GTA IV has more combos and feels more natural.

I was hoping to see an evolution of what was in TBOGT at least. This new melee system sucks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users