74 replies to this topic
cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

Black & White and Eddie said it because the woman corrected him, because he thought astrology was astronomy, so he was very mad because a woman was clever than him! RoadRunner71, yes the game runs very smoothly!! The graphics are better than GTA IV's and the game doesn't lag!! I hope GTA V is like it...

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

Black & White and Eddie said it because the woman corrected him, because he thought astrology was astronomy, so he was very mad because a woman was clever than him! RoadRunner71, yes the game runs very smoothly!! The graphics are better than GTA IV's and the game doesn't lag!! I hope GTA V is like it...

What? I am not even disagreeing with you. I am defending Mafia 2. I'm on your side.  :lol: If Eddie wasn't drunk, he wouldn't of said that. He had far more respect while he was straight and off the alcohol.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Black & White yes I know, I was just thinking that he was very mad because a woman corrected him, he probably thought women were stupid and could not know more than him :catspider: 

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Right.

The "Moolies" were a black African-American gang. They wore sport jackets because it was traditional in the gang. Like the signature uniform of the gang. Also - from the player' perspective, you could recognize them by what they wore. I'm sure black African-American citizens without any actual legal work or without anything "real" in the life of crime could afford well tailored suits. The African-American gang members did indeed live in poverty. They were new to America and were split up from the white division. It was the same during the 1950s. Almost every absolute black person lived in poverty. 

No, you've missed my point. My point wasn't that there weren't gangs like this, the point is that the game seems to favour these . I do admit though that the moolies weren't really that stereotypical or racist compared to others.

Hmm.. how were "all" of the Jewish people loan sharks? There was only one Jewish loan shark named Bruno. Bruno is probably based on Meyer Lansky, whom was a known Jewish associate to the five families of New York. The term "Yids" is a common expression towards Jewish people.

Yes, at the same time, there were no Jewish characters who weren't loan sharks which is a stereotype of greedy. You're also forgetting Bruno's henchmen as well. The game itself doesn't portray this as bad, the game seems to side with the racist attitudes of the charcters, that's the problem

Women in the 1950s were seen as unimportant and below the male gender, especially hookers. Eddie was drunk when he he said "you Cum dumpster". That still happens these days too. If you walk too close to a lady, she'll start swearing or basically ask Vito to f*ck off.

Yeah, I know that these times were sexist, and I have no problem with the characters being sexist or treating women terribly. The point I was making is that the game supports the viewpoints of these people. Vito and Joe's sexism isn't really shown as bad or contemptable, the game seems to also laugh in the face of women as well.

And so what if you go up to random women on the street and they tell you to f*ck off? It doesn't make it any better that this random just offered Vito sex when he got her car. The point is that whenever a man does something for a woman, his reward is sex, and this isn't played ironically, its presented as being something awesome.

Really, I have a much bigger beef with the writing and story, as there really isn't one. Vito just follows Joe around and does petty crime, then halfway through goes to jail because he sold food stamps, that's the height of crime in this game. That's the plot. Sure, you have some big mafia family turnover in the last half, but the game only establishes this through rushed dialogue with Joe in the car "these are the somethingettis, they're going to betray the Falcons and the other gang before this guy does this..." we never got to know or care for these gangs because it was Joe who was working with them, Vito is just tagging along and sees only a couple of people, so we as the player don't care either. That's not even getting into the terrible pacing with boring missions and lacklustre open world which is more of commute than anything else.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

I think Mafia II definitely had great potential, yet lacked some of the qualities it promoted. Still, a fun game.. though the lack of free roam really ruined it for me but the story was decent and the missions, though repetitive, kept you playing. I still own Mafia 1 from original Xbox but if I had to rate, I'd say Mafia II is definitely better and not only due to newer components but Mafia II had a more immersive campaign than he first as well as a more emotional back drop.

If anyone here hasn't played it, it's definitely worth a playthrough and I believe it's like $15-20 bucks on Xbox right now. 

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

The story was pretty basic, just as good as any of the GTA's (which yean, is kind of bad considered the game focused on storyline more than on sandbox (unlike GTA), but still a decent story).

I can't argue with Vito being the most flat protagonist ever though, but I wouldn't say the same about Joe, I actually liked Joe at some point in the game, which I could never say about Vito, 'cause he didn't do anything.

WOT DE FUK?!?!

• AceRay and Th3MaN1 like this

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

Fireman yes, Vito might be hot but he is flat :lol:

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:57 AM Edited by cidamelo, 01 January 2014 - 04:00 AM.

I've finished the game!

Spoiler

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:15 AM Edited by Tycek, 01 January 2014 - 09:15 AM.

This is one of the many problems with Mafia II. Things happen there without any explanation and reason. Apparently Henry was working for the feds, but there is no proof and not even a single "What if he really is" situation. Game is telling us, "He's a fed" and we're suppose to believe it. Second time when it happened was with the dead guy buried in the forest. He was a fed too, but am I suppose to guess that? 

Story in the Mafia II is absolute garbage and it shouldn't even be called Mafia for the sake of the first part, which if course got its ups and downs, but story was really made in special way. 

• AceRay likes this

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

This is one of the many problems with Mafia II. Things happen there without any explanation and reason. Apparently Henry was working for the feds, but there is no proof and not even a single "What if he really is" situation. Game is telling us, "He's a fed" and we're suppose to believe it. Second time when it happened was with the dead guy buried in the forest. He was a fed too, but am I suppose to guess that? 

Story in the Mafia II is absolute garbage and it shouldn't even be called Mafia for the sake of the first part, which if course got its ups and downs, but story was really made in special way. 

I know what you mean but it was there. Once Vito and Joe killed Don Clemente and his goons, Henry probably struck a deal with the feds. Most of his friends were killed and he had nobody else to go with. Or even worse.. When Henry was shot in the leg in the distillery, he didn't visit Joe or Vito for around 6 years. By that time, Henry had everything which he wanted. He was inducted as a full-made member and had plenty of money. He lived the life and was beyond it. He could of seen it as a retirement plan or to redeem himself from his previous sins, as he was deeply religious.

About Frankie Potts - If you search him up on the internet, you can view all the documents he had on Frank Vinci, Alberto Clemente, Henry Tomasino.. etc..

Franki_files_ht.jpg

Franki_files_galante.jpg

Frankie_files_carlo.raw.jpg

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:50 PM Edited by cidamelo, 01 January 2014 - 05:50 PM.

Black & White this is interesting!! So Henry had a deceased wife :dontgetit: about him,

Spoiler

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Some more photos from the Frankie Potts files.

- - - - 

Frankie_files_eddi.gif

- - - - 

report.jpg

- - - - -

Farnkie_files_luca.jpg

- - - - -

Id_palmieri.jpg

- - - - 

Franki_files_vinci.jpg

- - - - 

Id_blank.jpg

- - - - 

2week_2.jpg

- - - -

week6_2.jpg

- - - - 

week1_2.jpg

- - - 

week6_1.jpg

- - - -

frankie_potts_screen_41.jpg

- - - -

Crim_id_balls.gif

- - - - -

id_pepe.jpg

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Look at Henry in the cathouse :lol: :lol: Those photos are very interesting!

Lazor Guns
  • Lazor Guns

Masked Felon

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Concept 2015 [GTA Online: Liberty City Expansion]

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

One thing that bugged me was how they constantly said the word f*ck. They're criminals without manners, I get that, but they used in almost every single sentence. The constant overuse of that word made them seem more like twelve-year-olds trying to be cool than edgy criminals. 

• AceRay likes this

*GREY_WOLF*
  • *GREY_WOLF*

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:48 PM Edited by *GREY_WOLF*, 01 January 2014 - 06:49 PM.

ps3-mafia-ii-special-extended-edition-pr

Story
Born the son of a poor immigrant, Vito is a beaten down Italian American who is trying to secure his piece of the American Dream. Looking to escape the life of poverty that consumed his childhood, Vito is soon swayed by the lure of power and wealth that a life of Organized Crime can bring. A petty criminal his whole life, Vito, along with his childhood friend, Joe, will descend into the world of organized crime. Together, they will work to prove themselves to the Mob as they try to make their names on the streets of a cold and unforgiving city.

Shopping for weapons in Mafia II
Explore the dark and unforgiving world of the Mob in Mafia II.
View larger.
Next-Gen 2K Czech game Engine
Powered by 2K Czech's next-generation engine built specifically for Mafia II, players experience the true evolution of the Mafia game that defined a genre. Gunfights, hand-to-hand combat and vehicular exploration feature new depth and dimension that allow players to experience the world of Mafia II in a way that will keep them coming back for more.

Key Game Features

Gangster-Movie Experience - Through strong, authentic characterization and compelling narrative, the mature storyline will make you understand the pull and impossible escape of life in the Mob.
    Action-Packed Gameplay - Take part in car-to-car gunfights, hand-to-hand combat and gunplay, forming an intense and exciting experience.
    All-New Engine Powers the Next Generation of Mob Video Games - 2K Czech's next-generation engine, allows gamers to travel from outdoor environments to intricately designed interiors without the need for loading times.
    Authentic Script from the Writer of Mafia I - The writing team from Mafia I returns to deliver another powerhouse script that portrays a tale of survival, camaraderie and the pitfalls of pursuing the American Dream.
    Music as Environment - Players will be immersed in the Golden Era of America as Mafia II features tracks from some of the era's most influential artists.

Released 07/05/11

Includes two DLCs:
-Mafia II: Jimmy's Vendetta
-Mafia II: Joe's Adventures

Description:

Mafia 2: Director's Cut will take you to the streets of the criminal world of America after the Second World War. And overwhelm many dangerous adventures and interesting and exciting stories of challenging times. You will be Vito Scaletta, an immigrant from the island of Sicily, who is trying to create a name for himself and earn respect on the streets of Empire Bay. Along with his faithful friend and companion Joe Barbaro, he quickly joins the members of a powerful crime family.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:16 PM Edited by Tycek, 01 January 2014 - 10:46 PM.

Once Vito and Joe killed Don Clemente and his goons, Henry probably struck a deal with the feds. 

Probably it's good word here, because nothing in this game is backed up with any form of evidence. There are no trails for you to follow, no shadow of a doubts. Game is telling you "Henry was a rat" and you should be like the meme "okay." Theory about him being a undercover cop also sounds plausible, but there is no additional information in the game itself.

These bits of information can be found over the internet, but I am not playing the game to look for additional information elsewhere. What if half of the story presented in a book, was in another place (internet or music made by the author). Something like this breaks immersion of the game. What's the point of creating a wonderful world, when half of information regarding it is somewhere else. 

GTA IV is brilliant example how can you make something like this. You could run through the game without paying attention to details, but if you slowed down, stopped for a minute, you could actually find everything you may need via internet, dialogues with friends, emails, etc. It wasn't needed for the story, but it dragged you deeper into the minds of the characters and the city itself (Packie's abusive father, Dwayne's life as a crack dealer back in the '90s or Jacob's wishes for the future). 

Mafia is example of the other site, as they gave you beautiful city shallow like a piss creek only to put the information needed to understandment of the story (Frankie Potts, Henry) somewhere else. Things like these should be there, as a piece of dialogue, some paper, picture in newspaper or some image made by blink of an eye and not put God knows where only to boosts visits of your official page. Mafia II is example of absolutely atrocious way to write and tell a story, full of cliches and already played movie tapes. 

And if they will ever try to make Mafia III (I am not waiting for it, to be honest, because I can be tricked once), let's hope they will learn a lesson, because Mafia II could be great game if it wasn't so brutally butchered by the developers to make the quick buck on the poor addons. 

• AceRay likes this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

The problem with Mafia 2 is that you can see where the story was cut while you're playing it. It's not even polite enough to hide plot holes until you're done with it, like most games. Many questions remained unanswered because developers didn't have more time to work on the game.

• AceRay likes this

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:33 PM Edited by AceRay, 01 January 2014 - 09:42 PM.

The information needs to be in the actual game rather than supplementary material. The game itself should stand on its own feet. I shouldn't have to go looking at character sheets or pages or whatever to learn who these people are; they should be characterized in game, reading character sheets is little more than reading a synopsis or summary.

Its like the Star Wars Prequel trilogy, where character motivations are explained in books and not in the film. I shouldn't have to look up stuff for it to work, it should be a complete game/film/whatever that works on its own.

I mean, I shouldn't have google who the f*ck Carlo was. He was the big bad guy of the game and he's barely in it at all, that's just poor story telling. We know practically nothing about him. Same goes for many characters; they're introduced in like 2 seconds (or sometimes Joe just tells you flatly who they are while you commute across the map), then they disappear while you do more menial tasks and then you fight them. Derek is the only other example I can think of, and I'm honestly shocked that I even remember that name.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

Only reason why I remembered that fat f*cking prick was the "Sorry, Vito I don't have any work for you" repeated for the fifty f*cking time. Bastard didn't have any job for six f*cking years. What's the point in including dialogues regarding his jobs. Cut it out altogether and at least stop making a joke out of players. I can rant about that whole day, so I better leave it for another discussion. 

• Black & White likes this

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Tycek
Spoiler
Yes this is true, GTA IV has a deeper connection with the characters, through dialogue, internet, etc... But one aspect I think Mafia 2 is way better are the graphics and the optimization. The game looks amazing, I run everything at maximum, and it doesn't lag. GTA IV I run everything in maximum too (except for shadows and draw distance), but the game is very lagging and the graphics aren't as pretty as Mafia 2. Are the addons bad? I read they were good, I was thinking in buying them :*( AceRay yes, about Carlo, I thought this was weird too...
Spoiler
Yes, the characters were interesting but just a little of them was showed :/ Tycek I hated it too!!!! Every chapter I went to all those characters, like Derek, Bruscki, etc., and they never had work for me!!!! arrggh :devil:

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Only reason why I remembered that fat f*cking prick was the "Sorry, Vito I don't have any work for you" repeated for the fifty f*cking time. Bastard didn't have any job for six f*cking years. What's the point in including dialogues regarding his jobs. Cut it out altogether and at least stop making a joke out of players. I can rant about that whole day, so I better leave it for another discussion. 

Yeah, that was annoying too. Same with Derek. They had potential. I remember hearing that Derek and Mike were actually meant to dish out jobs but the game developers held it back. I don't know the reason.

With our previous debate.. Yeah, I agree with you. I was quite disappointed once I heard Frankie Potts didn't have a huge appearance in the game, although he did. He was an undercover police informant and held so much valuable information but yet the story of him in the game was mysterious and unknown.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:47 AM

Who doesn't love it???

It looks and sounds better than GTA5!!!

and it has better story and better characters, frankly.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

Misbegotten cad well I haven't played GTA V yet, but I think optimization and graphics of Mafia 2 are great... anyway, I think GTA IV had better story and characters

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

Who doesn't love it???

It looks and sounds better than GTA5!!!
and it has better story and better characters, frankly.

I don't like mafia 2. I'm glad I got it for free (PS+).

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

I got it for free too!! In a voting through Steam. But I think I'll buy the DLCs, are they good??

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 03 January 2014 - 07:48 AM

It bored me to tears. Too much driving around and the traffic laws were irritating. Way too short aswell I think. It's not terrible but I would rate it 5/10.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

I personally love to drive, it's perhaps one of the things I like to do the most in a game... I think the traffic laws were easy to avoid, cops didn't care for red lights like in the first game. Yes the game could be longer....

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

I got it for free too!! In a voting through Steam. But I think I'll buy the DLCs, are they good??

Hmm..  In Joe's Adventures, people have gave it negative feedback. The game includes new songs, new cars (fast ones), and new clothes. In the missions, Joe does some work for Antonio Balsamo, Marty and Giuseppe. He soon finds out Luca isn't the "real deal" and so he joins up with the Falcone crime family. He works closely with Eddie Scarpa, and one mission includes offering his protective services to Carlo Falcone as a rival family invades the Cathouse. Carlo gets shot once in the chest, but manages to survive. Vito meets someone named Rocco, whom is a Capo in the family, and does some work for him. As time passes, Rocco betrays the family and Vito is sent in to deal with him. The ending involves Rocco being thrown off a tall building and his body comes down crashing onto Eddie's car.

The Betrayal of Jimmy - Jimmy doesn't actually belong to a crime family. He is more of a gun for hire, a hitman. Jimmy has a few employers, most notably Sal Gravina, the head of the Gravina crime family, and Tam Brodie, the head of the Irish Gang. Both are determined to eliminate any competition in the criminal underworld of Empire Bay. To make some extra walking around money Jimmy also dabbles in vehicle thefts for some of Empire Bays less scrupulous car dealers. Sal Gravina is at an impasse with Elroy Tussle, leader of the Bombers, a two-bit gang who control the slums of Sand Island. Tam Brodie has his own bone to pick with Eddie Fu, leader of the Empire Bay Triads who operate out of Chinatown. Together they rely on the unique talents of Jimmy to carry out their plans of taking down both gangs and their interests. Always a professional, Jimmy accomplishes jobs big and small for both Sal and Tam, fighting their battles for them and cleaning up their messes as he goes. He ties up one loose end after another with deadly results, all the while failing to notice that there was one final loose end he was forgetting about himself. In the end, Jimmy takes care of the Empire Bay Triads for Sal Gravina and has stopped a war. Sal invites Jimmy over to house for a "meal" with his wife. Instead, Sal has teamed up with Tam Brodie and Judge Hillwood. Jimmy of course battles through Sal Gravina's guards and eventually kills Tam, Sal and the Judge.

I have to say - Mafia 2 has the easiest trophies.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

Why the hell did you spoil whole stories of the DLCs? 

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

:lol: :lol: I was reading but I've stopped when I saw it was spoilers

• Black & White likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users