Photo

Mafia 2! Who likes it?

74 replies to this topic
cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:29 AM

Hi friends, I'm playing Mafia 2 and I'm loving it! It has great city, good songs, hot guys, good story, nice cars... I just wish it was more open world, thought!! :catspider: It should have a free roam mode! I'm almost reaching the last chapter, and I'm sad because in chapter 13

Spoiler
I'm digging the story, but one thing I think it's weird is that Vito shows no remorse when
Spoiler
Who also liked the game?? :beerhat:

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

hot guys

What?

I preferred the first one, the story was better, but yes I did enjoy mafia 2.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ´-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:06 AM

I like it. I just hate the ending.
  • AndrewDeSanta likes this

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:09 AM Edited by 018361, 30 December 2013 - 04:10 AM.

I still love this game. It's setting, music, and detail are phenomenal. it does have it's flaws though. One of my favorite pastimes is to free-roam in Joe's adventures and drive around with the radio on. I honestly really don't understand why this game often gets so much abuse. It is simply magnificent and I am really looking forward to Mafia 3 if they plan on making it.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

I Think its the Most Underrated   game this Gen. 

• Apex. and Mr Oraange like this

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:10 AM

I love Mafia II, it's an excellent game. But for me personally, the first one was just slightly better.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

I've never understood the hate for it really. Amazing game IMO.

• Dutch Psycho likes this

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:32 AM

I think Mafia 2 is one of those games that doesn't get the appreciation as it deserves because of the lack of side activities for free roam.

Mafia 2 was really story driven and focused on chapters. I appreciate the story and loved how it was told. Having a story where several months go by and maybe a few years in a video game kind of shows the rank the protagonist has obtained in the Mafia.

Obviously lot has happened, and you are curious what happened during the time they skipped, but the curiosity and big time gap lets you see the contrast between before and now.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

It sucks. I'll find some of my old posts in the main thread to repost here (if I care enough)

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

I was really captivated by the story, the gameplay was also likeable in my eyes. But I have the same complaint as others, the lack of activities. Take the game Godfather 1 for example. It's a pretty average game, but I liked it's side-activities.

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

Yeah, here it is

http://gtaforums.com...2/?p=1061025593

Personally, Vito was an idiot because he hung out with Joe, who was a massive slob and an idiot. In fact, he barely actually did anything without Joe. He just followed him blindly.

The narrative was really bad but the actual gun fights was pretty good. I really liked gunfighting. But the problem was that there's so much tedious driving and lifting crates. Seriously, every chapter is like Drive across city, lift some crates, drive across city, have fist fight and then you MAYBE have a small to medium gun battle. Seriously, I'm halfway through the game and I'm cleaning freaking urinals??? But the actual gunfighting was strong, which is about the opposite of the original game.

I don't mind that its more scripted. Its raining? Fine. Frankly, comparing Mafiyawn 2 to GTAIV is like comparing the first one to GTAIII. If you compare it to the original mafia, its faults show more often.

The thing is though, that you're still doing the same thing over and over again. The whole game is basically petty crime following petty crime. Vito apparently rises through the ranks but what happens in the game never changes. You're still sorting crates and doing petty thefts right until the very end of the game.

Not to mention how the game kind of fails at giving motivation for Vito. There's his family, but frankly, Vito doesn't give a sh*t. He basically contributes to his mother's death and assume his way of approaching crime was wrong and goes back to Joe, showing he's an idiot. He keeps his sister in a shame of a marriage and when she doesn't want anything to do with him, his motivation changes to "I WANT MOAR STUFF." Its like he doesn't care, which is true, cause he's characterless. What made Mafia 1 work well was Angelo and his relationship with everyone around him, while this just doesn't have this. You could argue that we're playing a bad guy here, who doesn't care about those around him, but he still has to be interesting. Vito isn't, he's a coat hanger.

Sequel to this, this game has a serious problem with racism and sexism. I get that its a racist time, and I'm fine with that, its that all the minorities are all stereotyped horribly. The "Moolies" ie Black people wear sport jackets and hang around the ghetto causing trouble. The "Micks" or Irish all hang around bars, are drunk etc. The "Yids" or Jews are all debt collectors because all Jews are good at maths, right? I don't mind that Joe is racist or whatever, but can't the game be a bit more realistic?

Don't get me started on women in this game. Unlike the first game, women in this game are there to be f*cked or to be on the other side of great lines such as "F*ck you, you f*cking cumdumpster!" Its not just that, its that they're almost want to be treated like that. I help a woman with her car and she immediately offers sexual favors as a reward. Its like they want to be treated that way. If that doesn't set the tone, then how about the fact that collectibles are Playboy magazines (quite anarchistic, they weren't published until 1953).

Oh, yeah, and there's the anarchism. Most of the 1951 cars and music came later in that decade. But I could be here all day.

Personally, Vito was an idiot because he hung out with Joe, who was a massive slob and an idiot. In fact, he barely actually did anything without Joe. He just followed him blindly.

There is something bro ship. He know Joe since his childhood and stood up for him. They did sh*t together. Personally it is Henry who is an idiot.

When you meet Joe at his apartment for the first time, he's in his underwear with two whores making wanking gestures at his land lady.

F*ck friendship, I'd have run a mile. Vito should have ditched him as soon as possible, hanging out with that slob was bound to make trouble. Not to mention he caused all the problem by killing the chinks (Chinese) at the end.

• Tycek likes this

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:08 AM

Its an awesome game, one of my favorites.

Osho
  • Osho

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

I liked the game except the cold modding community :-(

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:42 PM Edited by Fireman, 30 December 2013 - 12:43 PM.

Best part ever, dem voice actors.

• Barry Spock likes this

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

I've never understood the hate for it really. Amazing game IMO.

I guess people including media expected a gta with italian mobsters.for me the game was awesome but not as good as mafia 1.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

Mafia 2 was an amazing amazing game. I was truly blown away when I first played it. The story was great, much like the godfather, graphics were awesome and the gameplay was just superb. I don't understand the hate for the game, it was very very good.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:25 PM

I really want to give Mafia 1 a try seeing how good everyone says it is. Too bad they took it off steam or I probably would have bought it already. I'll see if I can get it somehow, but I would really rather get it on steam.

Los Santos Police Department
  • Los Santos Police Department

I'll be back...

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I liked mafia 2, but it is a shame that we can't free roam as Vito (free roam is in the DLC, where you can play as Joe or Jimmy)

The city and the music was amazing, and the game shown how much a city can change in just a few years quite well. (The DJ's voice changes dramatically from the 40s to the 50s.)

The missions were also good, especially when 

Spoiler

The only thing about the game I didn't like at all was the ending.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

The missions were also good, especially when 

Spoiler

The only thing about the game I didn't like at all was the ending.

I wish the mission would be not so obvious.

Spoiler

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

The game was ok but I don't see the point of such a big open world with absolutely nothing to do in it except go mission to mission. Still enjoyed the story. I probably got about one Saturdays worth of play out of the entire game.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Mafia 2 had potential to be a good game. Rather, it was a linear game trying to pass it off as a "sandbox" game. There's virtually nothing to do outside of missions, and no minigames or free roam sessions like in the original Mafia.

Gettin up
  • Gettin up

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

I liked it.

Why free roam? You can do achievements or just screw around while on a chapter.

Playboy magazines was a big plus. Collected them all after the story. :lol: 

Only thing i didn't like was car handling. Tuning your car at the garage helped a little.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

Hi friends! I would like if the game had more side-missions too... I like when games are more open-world than linear... But I love the city, the cars and the radio stations, the graphic is excellent too!!! The game doesn't lag in my computer, and I think the graphics are better than GTA IV's, don't you agree? I hope GTA V in PC reaches this level of optimization!

Stormingz hot characters are a big plus for me!! 018361 i wish we could free roam in base game too

AceRay many people could not like those parts like lifting crates, cleaning toilets, but I like!! It gives more imersion in my opinion.... I like when games take a more "The Sims" aproach, but I know many people don't like it. I think the gunfights are really cool! I love the movements, the dialogues, etc. I think Vito is one of the best looking characters in game's history, he's very hot... But I don't like his personality very much. Like I said, after he
Spoiler
Tommy Angelo for example was a great protagonist, but I felt Vito has not built a strong character... About the racism, I felt kind bad too, but I guess people were very racist in that time... and minorities many times were against other minorites, don't you think the irish called the italians 'guineas'? Unfortunately I think the racism was strong, so the game had to talk about that... Even the cops are racist, one day I was fighting a black man and the cop arrested him and not me!! :catspider:  I think that machism is the same thing... unfortunately the italian mafia was machist. :cry: And about this fix the car thing, it was the Joe's girl car, isn't it?? She was a prostitute, so I guess she was selling her product :orly: About the playboy magazines, even though I'm a heterosexual woman, I like it!! The photos were pretty in that time, the women too. I think they were very interesting! I liked Henry, I think he was classy and hot, but it seems
Spoiler
Ohhh on this wanking part I felt sooo gross about Joe!! Ewwwww :angry:Yes, Joe is a idiot, but Vito liked him because they know each other since childhood, and I know that this could make we do stupid things... Fireman yes voice actors are great!! Like in the first game!! Dutch Psycho Mafia 1 had an excelent story!! But because I'm a GTA lover, I would like if the game was more open, yes :p 018361 I played it long time ago, and I think it's excellent! Yes, you should play it! Los Santos Police Department I don't have DLCs... are they worth it? I haven't read your spoiler because I haven't finished it yet.....

theadmiral yes, that beautiful city should have been more explored!

universetwisters yes I would like it being less linear too...

Gettin up well, free roam is FREE! :happy: I love the freedom of a game... I would like if it was more sandbox. I think the car handling is fun, but kind hard to drive because I drive in simulator mode...

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Big Homie

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I like it.

But Mafia 1....that one I love.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:52 PM

Overhyped and overrated piece of game, who tried to be best game on the market, but became shame of former self and the previous part. 

I also completely agree with AceRay.

• AceRay likes this

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

In my opinion, Mafia 2 is a great game. You can perform shop robberies, customize your car and purchase nice suits. The storyline was awesome and made much sense. Henry's death was a shock. The ending was a great cliffhanger.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

AceRay
  • AceRay

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:13 PM Edited by AceRay, 30 December 2013 - 09:51 PM.

Tycek: I'm pretty sure that the only reason people are praising it here is because this is GTAF and they're naturally going to like GTA-style crime adventures.

In fact, just read the last few pages of the existing Mafia 2 thread to get a good read from different opinions of the game.

And here's another rant of mine of Mafiyawn 2, probably some spoilers:

http://gtaforums.com...s/?p=1061470315

No, people hate Mafiyawn 2 because its a racist, disgusting excuse of a game. And not because its set in the 40s/50s, oh no, I'm fine with some racist characters like Joe but the actual game is very racist and resorts to stereotypes. All the "Moolies" aka black people all wear sports jackets and hang around the poor parts, all the "Yids" aka Jews are all loan sharks because, hey, Jewish people are all greedy right? Don't even get me started on the "Chinks", they were the worst of all. I'm fine with racism like some guy saying but this game relies on sterotypes. Oh yeah, and the fact that all the women in this game are only there to be f*cked and be called "f*cking cumdumpsters", its actually kind of sickening. Again, these were sexist times, but the sick thing is that the women act like they like being treating like that, I think someone at 2K has got some serious issues. At least GTA has some female characters who don't whore themselves out, this is something else. The only character who doesn't do this was Vito's sister and she was soooooooooo bland that even Vito leaves the b*tch (probably because there's no version of her in a corset like nearly every other female character).

Not to mention that the game freaking sucks at its story. It tries so hard to be like great mafia movies it hurts. The characters are so two dimensional and bland, Vito has no personality at all. He's so eager to get into the crime life and get into crime that when he does refuse to do something late in the story, its extremely token as he committed much more heinous crimes that killing this one guy really doesn't matter. He's a psychopath, not through good writing but through his blandness, he just shows no emotion as he destroys his family and life that its so hard to root for him. Joe? He's a f*cking joke. When Marty dies, the game tries to make him three dimensional in one scene before he's back and fine in the very next scene and it isn't mentioned again for the entire game. He doesn't change or develop, neither does anyone else. Did I mention that the Robert Di Nero villain is in, like, one cutscene before the finale? He's just mentioned in a couple of pieces of dialogue and then he's the big bad. Not even LCS was this abrupt.

The missions are a MASSIVE drag. Seriously, the game would be an hour long if you didn't have to drive across the map in a feeble attempt at padding the game. But don't worry, you get to listen to "witty" dialogue between the two or three interchangeable characters  sarcasm.gif . That's another thing, Vito never actually does anything, he just follows Joe and Henry round like a little b*tch. We should have played as Joe or Henry cause they actually do sh*t and set up deals rather than sit on his butt the whole game.

GODDAMMIT, if I have to talk about Mafia 2 again after this I'm gonna shoot myself, I can't go two days before going into a giant rant about this piece of sh*t. I guess the paper thin "atmosphere" that this game apes to have can blind some people from some glaring flaws. I will admit that the city is greatly detailed and a fine backdrop and gunfights are pretty fun but they are very scarce considering all the boring tasks like picking coloured cigarettes and cleaning urinals. (Its pretty ironic the game lets you skip packing boxes early on and Vito's like "I want excitement and crime" but then the rest of the game has you picking up sh*t.)

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

No, people hate Mafiyawn 2 because its a racist, disgusting excuse of a game. And not because its set in the 40s/50s, oh no, I'm fine with some racist characters like Joe but the actual game is very racist and resorts to stereotypes. All the "Moolies" aka black people all wear sports jackets and hang around the poor parts, all the "Yids" aka Jews are all loan sharks because, hey, Jewish people are all greedy right? Don't even get me started on the "Chinks", they were the worst of all. I'm fine with racism like some guy saying but this game relies on sterotypes. Oh yeah, and the fact that all the women in this game are only there to be f*cked and be called "f*cking cumdumpsters", its actually kind of sickening. Again, these were sexist times, but the sick thing is that the women act like they like being treating like that, I think someone at 2K has got some serious issues. At least GTA has some female characters who don't whore themselves out, this is something else. The only character who doesn't do this was Vito's sister and she was soooooooooo bland that even Vito leaves the b*tch (probably because there's no version of her in a corset like nearly every other female character).

Not to mention that the game freaking sucks at its story. It tries so hard to be like great mafia movies it hurts. The characters are so two dimensional and bland, Vito has no personality at all. He's so eager to get into the crime life and get into crime that when he does refuse to do something late in the story, its extremely token as he committed much more heinous crimes that killing this one guy really doesn't matter. He's a psychopath, not through good writing but through his blandness, he just shows no emotion as he destroys his family and life that its so hard to root for him. Joe? He's a f*cking joke. When Marty dies, the game tries to make him three dimensional in one scene before he's back and fine in the very next scene and it isn't mentioned again for the entire game. He doesn't change or develop, neither does anyone else. Did I mention that the Robert Di Nero villain is in, like, one cutscene before the finale? He's just mentioned in a couple of pieces of dialogue and then he's the big bad. Not even LCS was this abrupt.

The missions are a MASSIVE drag. Seriously, the game would be an hour long if you didn't have to drive across the map in a feeble attempt at padding the game. But don't worry, you get to listen to "witty" dialogue between the two or three interchangeable characters  sarcasm.gif . That's another thing, Vito never actually does anything, he just follows Joe and Henry round like a little b*tch. We should have played as Joe or Henry cause they actually do sh*t and set up deals rather than sit on his butt the whole game.

GODDAMMIT, if I have to talk about Mafia 2 again after this I'm gonna shoot myself, I can't go two days before going into a giant rant about this piece of sh*t. I guess the paper thin "atmosphere" that this game apes to have can blind some people from some glaring flaws. I will admit that the city is greatly detailed and a fine backdrop and gunfights are pretty fun but they are very scarce considering all the boring tasks like picking coloured cigarettes and cleaning urinals. (Its pretty ironic the game lets you skip packing boxes early on and Vito's like "I want excitement and crime" but then the rest of the game has you picking up sh*t.)

Right. 

The "Moolies" were a black African-American gang. They wore sport jackets because it was traditional in the gang. Like the signature uniform of the gang. Also - from the player' perspective, you could recognize them by what they wore. I'm sure black African-American citizens without any actual legal work or without anything "real" in the life of crime could afford well tailored suits. The African-American gang members did indeed live in poverty. They were new to America and were split up from the white division. It was the same during the 1950s. Almost every absolute black person lived in poverty. Hmm.. how were "all" of the Jewish people loan sharks? There was only one Jewish loan shark named Bruno. Bruno is probably based on Meyer Lansky, whom was a known Jewish associate to the five families of New York. The term "Yids" is a common expression towards Jewish people. Women in the 1950s were seen as unimportant and below the male gender, especially hookers. Eddie was drunk when he he said "you Cum dumpster". That still happens these days too. If you walk too close to a lady, she'll start swearing or basically ask Vito to f*ck off.

• Majestic81 likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

So I went from 'f*ck yes, Mafia II is dope as sh*t' to buying Call of Duty: Ghosts.. god damnit.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

I had the demo (which impressed me how well it performed in my pc) and played half or so of the storyline in my uncle's PS3. I really liked it and I wanted to buy the whole game but the dickwads of the game shop, even if I ordered it, never brought it.

Something I really enjoyed were the elements that could be used in the 'free roam' (I know the game without DLCs didn't have a properly called free roam), like bribing the police, kicking doors, wanted system, gas and such.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users