Quantcast

» «
Photo

9/11 - What about the new "One World Trade Center"?

55 replies to this topic
Hangover
  • Hangover

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:32 PM Edited by Hangover, 29 December 2013 - 08:54 PM.

Hey guys. I know this is a gaming forum, I registered here for GTA, but now I saw that there's an Off-Topic section. Hope I can post that here because I want to discuss.

A friend of mine was in New York back on September 11 2001. He was there on vacation. He was near the North Tower... He first heard it, then he looked up and saw the first plane (flight 11) coming and smashing into the WTC with his own eyes.. Minutes before he wanted to visit the North Tower for the first time. He called us then and told us he was ok and he distances himself from the burning tower. It was horrible for us who where watching it on TV and knowing he was there, and it was even more horrible for him because he saw EVERYTHING live.... I can't imagine myself standing there back in 9/11, my body shivered just from watching TV.

He was down on the street, watching the burning towers and he told us that many people jumped from the upper floors. Then, can't remember where he was, he was on the phone with us again, had a clear view on both towers... immediately he was screaming, he saw the 2nd plane coming in and crashing into the South Tower... we told him to go far away, we were incredibly worried.

Can't imagine how people felt when their loved ones were in the towers (or on the planes or on the pentagon.. dont forget that!)... and how the people above the crash site suffered.... it was horrible.

After that, airport security increased DRASTICALLY (more, more careful and better safety-checks, air-marshalls, etc.), everyone has learned from these attacks.

What I wanna ask: There is the new "One World Trade Center" in New York, people will work there, it will be opened in 2014 I think.

The height until the roof is 417 metres according to Wikipedia.

Am I the only one who thinks that this could be another target for attacks like 911? Terrorists could still figure out how to hijack a passenger jet cleverly and aim for the "OWTC". If they really want to do that fanatically like Atta and co. back then... they would be able to do a plan.. I'm afraid that this new building will provocate terrorists to repeat 911 the same way.. and calling it a World Trade Center again... well.. don't you think that's provocative to idiots like Atta? :( It's a punch in the face of those f*cking terrorists, but on the other hand I think it could provocate them...

I pray to god this will never happen again... but I'm afraid there's always a possibility that f*cking terrorists could repeat that thing and crash a large passenger jet into that tower, killing thousands of people and - perhaps - causing the building to collapse again.

That makes me so angry.

What do you guys think? Hopefully this will NEVER EVER happen again, but there's always a risk..

One of the reasons why I tell and ask you all these things is because I want to travel to New York in one or two years and visit that beautiful new building, but I'm scared as hell. Those moments back then were shocking for me and my friend. For all of course, but I still can't handle it..

Did they increase the security aspects in the building? Fire prevention, better and more stable steel, etc.

R.I.P. to the victims of 911.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE: NO STUPID WANNABE-SCIENTIFIC CONSPIRACY THEORIES HERE!

Don't ruin this thread please!

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

~

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

There's nothing to worry about, doubt it's ever going to happen again.

Tritium
  • Tritium

Special Agent

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

That's what they all say.

IDK about you but I'm gonna pack a parachute whenever I plan on going to a tall building.
  • Osho likes this

Hangover
  • Hangover

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

I hope you are right, but people thought that too, back then when there were bomb attacks at the WTC. :(

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

IDK about you but I'm gonna pack a parachute whenever I plan on going to a tall building.

it's not tall buildings you gotta' worry about.

it's pretty much just New York City.

if the "terrorists" decided to pull another 9/11 style attack, they wouldn't really go anywhere outside of the Eastern seaboard.

all their favorite targets are between New York state and Washington DC, of course.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

yeah, that's what they said before 9/11 too...

Marwin Moody
  • Marwin Moody

u in da mood?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:08 PM

I love the new WTC, mainly because it serves as a giant "f*ck you!" to terrorists :)

• 2281 and Hangover like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

I'm trying to summon GrandMaster Smith but my conjuration is only 60 and 75 is required.

• AceRay, Killerdude8 and Mr. House like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

I'd watch what you say. As long as there's tall buildings and airplanes and terrorists, we might have another attack on our hands.

Didn't the government find out that Osama wanted to bomb the trains on the 10th anniversary of 9/11 or something?

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

I agree with the OP. They should have built something like the Gateway Arch...

• Finn 7 five 11 and Shah Sam like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

if the "terrorists" decided to pull another 9/11 style attack, they wouldn't really go anywhere outside of the Eastern seaboard.

all their favorite targets are between New York state and Washington DC, of course.

I don't know. L.A. and Boston could both be possible targets. 

To the OP: It's highly unlikely you will be killed in a terrorist attack if you're visiting 1WTC. The planets would have to be aligned just right. 

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

I love the new WTC, mainly because it serves as a giant "f*ck you!" to terrorists :)

As much as I would like it to be a huge f*ck you to the terrorists it isn't because the terrorists didn't want to just destroy it they wanted to send a massege.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:07 PM Edited by iiConTr0v3rSYx, 29 December 2013 - 11:07 PM.

Nothing to fear.

9/11 was the most "luckiest" terrorist attack in history.

And I doubt an attack on that scale will ever happen again in our life time.

BTW- The observation deck on 1 WTC won't open until 2015.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed by a falling piece of furniture than you are by a terrorist attack in the US.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Tritium
  • Tritium

Special Agent

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

As much as I would like it to be a huge f*ck you to the terrorists it isn't because the terrorists didn't want to just destroy it they wanted to send a massege.

I need a massage.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

Controlled demolition. Thermite. Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth. Bohemian Grove. Cancer in the water supply will kill most of us and the rest will be executed in the FEMA death camps. Bilderberg Group. Remember Building 7, totally not an office fire I swear to God.

It's all true because Alex Jones has the "government documents" to prove it. INFOWARRIORS UNITE.

Hangover
  • Hangover

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:35 PM Edited by Hangover, 29 December 2013 - 11:40 PM.

Controlled demolition. Thermite. Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth. Bohemian Grove. Cancer in the water supply will kill most of us and the rest will be executed in the FEMA death camps. Bilderberg Group. Remember Building 7, totally not an office fire I swear to God.

It's all true because Alex Jones has the "government documents" to prove it. INFOWARRIORS UNITE.

And here it begins. Even a 15 years old schoolkid has better knowledge of physics and statics than those "Architects", trust me. My dad is engineer, and I'm studying that at the moment. ;) And thermite has been debunked already, many times. It's technically impossible. So stop that - like I said - wannabe scientistic nonsense. There has never been _any_ unbiased evidence for that, and there will never be.

But that thread wasn't meant to discuss that, open a new one. ;)

But after I've read that thing with the water I think you must be joking. Sry if your post was sarcasm ;)

Back to topic now.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:49 PM Edited by iiConTr0v3rSYx, 29 December 2013 - 11:51 PM.

The south tower collaspe  shows that no controlled demolition was used.

You can see east/north side column of the building bend inwards as it collaspe.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:07 AM Edited by 018361, 30 December 2013 - 12:08 AM.

Well, i'm more concerned about them using some kind of nuclear bomb in a major city or something. It may not be a likely situation concerning the enhanced security, but seeing as it would be much more devastating than a normal transit station bombing they would probably put their best minds on the planning of the job to make it work. They're like mice, you have a door as a security measure and despite that they are able to slither right through it. 

The thing about them trying to send a message is that after the first one is received anything less threatening or intimidating becomes simple rhetoric. This causes a situation where in order to send a message that will grab their attention you have to make it more intimidating than the last one. They will have to keep doing more drastic measures to get their message across which can only lead to assured disaster. 

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

I can't believe you missed whatsstrength's sarcasm, I know parody doesn't come across as easily in text but that was obvious.

Anyway, as someone said, you're more likely going to die by slipping and falling or getting hit by a car than in a terrorist attack. Think about all the people who visited the WTC before 9/11 and weren't killed.

• Hangover likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

What's to bomb in Boston? Sure, a lot of people live there, but it isn't really a place foreigners automatically think of when they hear "America".

I've compiled the following list for some highly likely terrorist hotspots in the next decade, according to foreigner's views on America:

*New York City

*Hollywood (just Hollywood)
*Texas

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

What's to bomb in Boston? Sure, a lot of people live there, but it isn't really a place foreigners automatically think of when they hear "America"

A marathon maybe?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

What's to bomb in Boston? Sure, a lot of people live there, but it isn't really a place foreigners automatically think of when they hear "America"

A marathon maybe?

Suppose they postpone next year's marathon, or better yet - move it to one of Boston's suburbs!

It's the perfect plan! It can still be called the "Boston Marathon", yet it's in one of Boston's suburbs, far away from the cultural/historical/economical structures, so if some dude does blow it up, worst damage will be taken on split-level houses and a couple minivans, at the most.

• 2281 likes this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

What's to bomb in Boston? Sure, a lot of people live there, but it isn't really a place foreigners automatically think of when they hear "America".

I've compiled the following list for some highly likely terrorist hotspots in the next decade, according to foreigner's views on America:

*New York City

*Hollywood (just Hollywood)
*Texas

I think anything that's considered a commercial center* is a potential target. The little town in the country isn't a likely target for foreign terrorism. Boston, Philadelphia, and New York are the three cities that come to mind when talking about America because of the cultural, economic, and historical significance of all 3. 

*http://en.wikipedia....ers_of_Commerce

• D- Ice likes this

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

But after I've read that thing with the water I think you must be joking. Sry if your post was sarcasm ;)

It was sarcasm. The sad part is that I used to buy into every last one of those claims but thankfully I moved past them.

• Hangover likes this

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:09 AM Edited by IM_YOUR_GOD, 30 December 2013 - 01:10 AM.

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed by a falling piece of furniture than you are by a terrorist attack in the US.

How many people died from "terrorist" attacks this year?

How many people died from "faling" furniture this year?
  • theadmiral likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:12 AM Edited by theadmiral, 30 December 2013 - 01:13 AM.

How many people died from "terrorist" attacks this year?

How many people died from "faling" furniture this year?

15,500 died in 8500 terrorist attacks (a record high in the past 40 years), but I cannot find any reference to anyone dying from falling furniture.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:13 AM

I don't know what terrorist would need to prove attacking a building. That won't cripple any American. Terrorists would need to cut off our resources and bomb some farms or coal mines.

Eris
  • Eris

Grill

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:15 AM Edited by Nipperkins, 30 December 2013 - 02:18 AM.

A marathon maybe?

Suppose they postpone next year's marathon, or better yet - move it to one of Boston's suburbs!

It's the perfect plan! It can still be called the "Boston Marathon", yet it's in one of Boston's suburbs, far away from the cultural/historical/economical structures, so if some dude does blow it up, worst damage will be taken on split-level houses and a couple minivans, at the most.

Why don't we all just go and live in reinforced concrete bunkers underground? In fact, why stop there! Lets ban cars, electricity, and sharp pointy objects! We can even enforce a mandatory flak jacket dress code, and have mean police to make sure everyone treats each other nicely! 

I don't know what terrorist would need to prove attacking a building. That won't cripple any American. Terrorists would need to cut off our resources and bomb some farms or coal mines.

Given the fact that 9/11 crippled international trade and greatly contributed to America's crazed paranoia over everything, I'd say it was fairly successful. 

• 018361 and DJ Arrt like this

Panz
  • Panz

• The Connection
  • United-States
  • Best Returning Member 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2013
    Hottest Member 2014
    ET Porn Endorser

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:01 AM

I don't think the city wants to live in fear anymore. They're moving on with their lives and rebuilding, regardless of what may happen in the future. Truth is, if planned carefully enough, these attacks can be impossible to avoid.  

We'll never know if NYC will be a target again in the future. It's one of the first things we think of when we think of America, so it'll always be considered a target. That doesn't mean everyone should be constantly preparing for the worst, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users