Should I get L.A. Noire?

23 replies to this topic
Funkjunky
  • Funkjunky

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

I absolutely loved Mafia 2(played the campaign 7 times). It looks like L.A. Noire is similar in terms of time period and such. Should I pick it up?

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

Well they're completely different games. Mafia 2 is more action oriented and more like GTA, while LA Noire is more of a detective game where you investigate crime scenes, interrogate people etc.

LA Noire is excellent IMO though, but I know some people didn't like it.

GTA 360
  • GTA 360

LIVE WITH IT OR DIE FROM IT.

• Members

Posted 29 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

It's a great game, go pick it up.

It almost doesn't go alongside any genre. I like mainly racing games but I love LA Noire.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

Soviet Connection

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yes. Just don't expect it to be a 1940s GTA like some people did.

• mikeinthahouse, IDredMan and SwingingSpidey like this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

It's more linear than open world. Like, you can free roam where you like but the game does pressure you to stick to the story. 

Honestly, if you're a fan of 1940's L.A and crime from the laws POV, you would love the game. 

• TheOtherRyan likes this

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

It's a beautiful game in terms of it's graphics, acting, and overall attention to detail. In my opinion however it just doesn't really grab my attention well. So much, in fact, that I had actually forgotten that I had bought it until I read this topic. If you have the money to burn i'd say go for it.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

It's brilliant until you have to get into a car. There's this chase scene and it's so bad it's funny because of the horrible driving mechanics.

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Decent game.

The homicide case drags on far too long, so be prepared.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

Honestly, it was one of the best games I played.

Not a console generation defining game, but definitely the closest thing to it.

I think the Homicide case was just fine, except for the ending which was super dark, I could barely see anything.

Don't worry about the driving mechanics, you get used to em.

At least ...I did.

Felt a bit ...Off at first.

Funkjunky
  • Funkjunky

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Hmm alright I might pick it up then. It's been out for awhile so I could pick it up pretty cheap. Thanks guys.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:10 PM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 29 December 2013 - 06:12 PM.

It was a good but flawed game the cases did get rather tedious and repetitive during the later stages of the game but i still enjoyed it for the most part it was An Interesting game i would suggest checking it out but  i just feel there are better and more Enjoyable  open world crime games.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 29 December 2013 - 06:32 PM Edited by ShadowDog94, 29 December 2013 - 06:32 PM.

It's not bad but not too exciting. The driving is pretty crappy and boring so I always just used fast travel to get wherever I was going. The cases are repetitive but can have interesting storylines, and there's not a lot to do after you finish the game except collect film reels and solve random crimes which just consist of shooting and chasing people. If you liked Mafia 2, which I found not as good, then you'll probably like LA Noire.

cidamelo
  • cidamelo

RIP Amy WINEHOUSE!GRANT RODIEK is back to the EA GAMES!&

• Members
  • None
  • Comedian of the Year 2010

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:09 AM

Hi friend I have the same doubt as you!! I looove GTA and I'm playing Mafia 2 and loving it! I wonder if I would like L.A. Noire too!

Osho
  • Osho

Old School RPG'er

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

The game has very low replay value. But it's a solid game in it's own right and a quality product. 

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

I'm not a huge fan but I admire what it was trying to do. Its definitely worth a try.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

Decent game.

The homicide case drags on far too long, so be prepared.

Those were my favorites though.

The dialogues between you and your partner are one of the most fun things in the game.

SwingingSpidey
  • SwingingSpidey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

My favorite game of all-time. :D

Like the others have said, as long as you know what type of game it really is before you play it, you should really enjoy it.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

SwingingSpidey, on 30 Dec 2013 - 5:13 PM, said:

My favorite game of all-time. :D

Like the others have said, as long as you know what type of game it really is before you play it, you should really enjoy it.

Yes, imo this is the perfect detective game, I know some people would say the Batman Arkham series but I disgress, this is what Dick Tracy should have been on the NES without the gorgeous graphics and facial animation of course .

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:29 PM Edited by theadmiral, 30 December 2013 - 05:30 PM.

LA Noire is a must have, but do not expect it to be action packed. The open world aspect is utterly lacking and it is driving from crime scene to crime scene, but it is one of the most unique, interesting games you will ever play.

You definitely will not play it again after playing it through once, but it is a fun story.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

Yes, you should. A brilliant game and another game produced by Rockstar. A little bit complicated (I used the YouTube videos to get all interrogations 100%.) A great game nonetheless.

Graven
  • Graven

Boss

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2014
    Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 30 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

L.A. Noire is excellent game, the interrogation system becomes little repetitive by the end imho. And if I´m being really honest, the facial emotion thingy, that´s bullocks.

I mean human face has thousand(s) of muscles, and when You grin, smile, cry etc, all those tiny muscles are in use. Personal computers, less to say consoles simply can´t handle that.

You can´t read the emotions and body language like a psychiatrist would do in real life.

But the story, cut scenes and mechanics are great. Many people, mainly IV kids brag about the handling. I have no license but I would think cars were bulky in 40s & 50s.

Kiffster
  • Kiffster

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

This thread made me start LA Noire again, so that's what I'm playing at the moment. Man, I forgot how much I suck at trying to guess if I should choose "doubt" or "lie" during interrogations lol! And I try to do them without spending intuition points...

I just finished the pink slip case, but it was so far the only one I didn't do so good in. I messed up pretty bad during the last interrogation :(

Still a great game though!

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:57 AM

the graphics on the faces are superb, unfortunately that doesn't make it a good game.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

the graphics on the faces are superb, unfortunately that doesn't make it a good game.

You're absolutely right.

All the other content makes it a good game.

• Fireman and Travís. like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users