SilentPatch

RW Released
4,822 replies to this topic
BlackScout
  • BlackScout

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by BlackScout, 4 weeks ago.

What if you replace vehicle lods with their HQ models so they're HQ all the way? Same as the pine tree lods...

Or block LOD loading of vehicles, or force normal quality vehicle models to be loaded (regardless of distance) with some random reverse engineered stuff...

Reyks
  • Reyks

Valar Morghulis

• Feroci
  • Brazil
  • Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Reyks, 4 weeks ago.

Nah, pretty sure it's not related to LOD models (there's 0 LOD cars in the pics I posted)... Even if you increase the vehicles draw distance to the point where LOD cars no longer show up, this still happens.

It's cleary something they made in an attempt to save memory, If I would have to guess this is probably a leftover from the PS2 version, that console only had 32Mb of RAM.

Nick007J
  • Nick007J

Crackhead

• Members
  • Russia

Posted 4 weeks ago

In addition to previous post regarding AI that follows player or car, I recorded a video of glitch I mentioned earlier and another one (exclusive to III though).

GTA III uses two ways of pathfinding when following a vehicle. First one, one with lower priority, is using node closest to target. Second one, which is used when possible, is using last building target collided with, and if it's treadable, then final node is the one from that treadable. This allows to avoid glitched calculation of closest node, however it doesn't work on foot (hence notoriously bad AI if player exits vehicle while on Bait) and also leads to additional glitch if player uses aircraft that moves without colliding with any buildings or treadables: followers drive to a node that player collided with last even if he is far away from it.

This is the video:

Demostration of glitch related to using aircraft is at ~0:25 (first follower stops and isn't moving anywhere, I tried to show that second one is also driving there but oh well :whuh: ) and demonstration of glitched closest node calculation at ~3:40 (when player last collided with treadable [road], target node is correct, when it isn't treadable, they drive down the dam).

I think that if closest node calculation is correct for following car (using correct Z coordinate), using last treadable isn't necessary. Probably it was made for some optimisation purposes, but it was removed in VC.

• Wesser, Silent and mirh like this

The Hero
  • The Hero

Into TheGame!!!

• Feroci
  • Germany
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by The Hero, 4 weeks ago.

Reyks: I hope I know what you mean. I think this is a problem of depth sorting... Some parts aren't drawn behind some transparent parts? Classic alpha problem. I've had an idea on how one could go about getting rid of many alpha problems: by first drawing all opaque MESHES (i.e. as opposed to atomics), then all transparent ones. This requires tapping into the pipelines so it should be relatively easy to fix this from within skygfx.
  • lpgunit and mirh like this

Reyks
  • Reyks

Valar Morghulis

• Feroci
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Reyks, 4 weeks ago.

Reyks: I hope I know what you mean. I think this is a problem of depth sorting... Some parts aren't drawn behind some transparent parts? Classic alpha problem. I've had an idea on how one could go about getting rid of many alpha problems: by first drawing all opaque MESHES (i.e. as opposed to atomics), then all transparent ones. This requires tapping into the pipelines so it should be relatively easy to fix this from within skygfx.

You should definitely give that idea a try, some objects still have the infamous alpha bug even with Two-Pass rendering.

But I'm pretty sure what I posted is not related to alpha issues, take this pic for example:

Spoiler

As you can see the back bumper is gone when looking at the car from far away, and there's no transparent parts covering it at all. Same goes for the right door, ofc there is an transparent object covering it in this case but that's not what caused the door to disappear, the game itself removed the door and the bumper to save memory, some sort of Occlusion Culling going on I believe.

This happens with pretty much any car part including the interior, both doors and bumpers, and even the peds driving them (as shown in my pics in the previous page), it all depends on the camera angle and the distance.

When moving closer to the car both parts (right door and back bumper) are being rendered just fine, this proves my point:

Spoiler

Sure this was most definitely done for optimization purposes and 10 years ago it made sense, but now it's just pointless since pretty much any computer can play this game just fine...

So my suggestion is (if possible): Making an .ini toggle for this car parts "Occlusion Culling" (or whatever it is), in either SilentPatch or SkyGfx or any other mod really.

• Davve95 likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Fixing Officer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Best Script/Plugin 2014 [SilentPatch]
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Map 2013 [ViceCityStories PC Edition]
    Best Vehicle 2013 [III Aircraft]
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Silent, 4 weeks ago.

Today I was on the road somewhere and I saw the car that was crushed by the monster truck.

I walked away and returned and I saw the same cars. But surprisingly at that time I have seen not only these cars. I bet the guys driving another car were laughing, when they saw the car that has been crushed and then... they drove into the lake and drowned.

3MxYlHEl.jpg
  • Jestic, Blackbird88, Tomasak and 18 others like this

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Today I was on the road somewhere and I saw the car that was crushed by the monster truck.

I walked away and returned and I saw the same cars. But surprisingly at that time I have seen not only these cars. I bet the guys driving another car were laughing, when they saw the car that has been crushed and then... they drove into the lake and drowned.

3MxYlHEl.jpg

Why would you copy from someone else? It's ridiculous.
  • Ss4gogeta0 likes this

miclin
  • miclin

old stager

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 4 weeks ago

3MxYlHEl.jpg

are you saying that silent's awesome experience with the monster truck isn't real? :O 

• Blackbird88, Tomasak, Mega and 7 others like this

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by fastman92, 4 weeks ago.

are you saying that silent's awesome experience with the monster truck isn't real? :O

No. The point is Silent should better come up with something new, instead of replicating what he has just seen on the forums.

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by BlackScout, 3 weeks ago.

EDIT: JESUS, LMFAO

Ty Dkluin

• dkluin likes this

dkluin
  • dkluin

GTA:Underground Developer

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 4 weeks ago

See this post:

http://gtaforums.com...r/?p=1069054682

• Mega, mirh and BlackScout like this

Davve95
  • Davve95

CJ - You wanna get back down so?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 4 weeks ago

3MxYlHEl.jpg

Right car to smash! It says "safety" on the hood.

El Dorado
  • El Dorado

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Brazil

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by El Dorado, 4 weeks ago.

No. The point is Silent should better come up with something new, instead of replicating what he has just seen on the forums.

You don't get it. The joke is actually mocking you.

• Blackbird88, Junior_Djjr, dkluin and 1 other like this

Inadequate
  • Inadequate

Midnight Emulator

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 3 weeks ago

You don't get it. The joke is actually mocking you.

He knows it.

pep legal
  • pep legal

Old but Gold

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nah, pretty sure it's not related to LOD models (there's 0 LOD cars in the pics I posted)... Even if you increase the vehicles draw distance to the point where LOD cars no longer show up, this still happens.

It's cleary something they made in an attempt to save memory, If I would have to guess this is probably a leftover from the PS2 version, that console only had 32Mb of RAM.

Probably the same happens to planes / helis as well...no matter if they're flying or taxiing on runway.

A really irritating bug. it needs some attention.

• Reyks likes this

The Hero
  • The Hero

Into TheGame!!!

• Feroci
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hm, almost looks like there's some problem with draw distances. Has anyone checked what happens on the PS2?
Also, please don't say this is to save memory, it isn't.

Ss4gogeta0
  • Ss4gogeta0

Spilled coffee on Laptop. no more mods

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

3MxYlHEl.jpg

hes just taking the piss out of you :p

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

What did he do to get busted? ^

Kind of moronic IMO, once you contributed to GTA modding community and then gets busted.

• Snoops27 likes this

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Fixing Officer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nice new topic name!

El Dorado
  • El Dorado

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago

what font do I need to get the joke? Or that IS the joke?

nzNmAXg.png

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

You should see cookie there, instead of that weird broken thing.

• BlackScout and Sweet Bellic like this

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

And it's gone...

Tomasak
  • Tomasak

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Nice new topic name!

what's so new about it Silent?

• Davve95 likes this

Reyks
  • Reyks

Valar Morghulis

• Feroci
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Reyks, 3 weeks ago.

This should be added to the main post IMO, it's pretty damn useful for heavily modded games, it surely did help me out a lot.

• Davve95 likes this

crspo2020
  • crspo2020

Obsessed with Modding

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

This should be added to the main post IMO, it's pretty damn useful for heavily modded games, it surely did help me out a lot.

Holy sh*t , i was searching for this tool for years. i never thought it would be here in one of the posts ._.

now i can use 4 GB of my RAM finally !

• Reyks likes this

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by SilverRST, 3 weeks ago.

Nice new topic name!

Name it CookiePatch topic.

The Hero
  • The Hero

Into TheGame!!!

• Feroci
  • Germany

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by The Hero, 3 weeks ago.

As you can see the back bumper is gone when looking at the car from far away, and there's no transparent parts covering it at all. Same goes for the right door, ofc there is an transparent object covering it in this case but that's not what caused the door to disappear, the game itself removed the door and the bumper to save memory, some sort of Occlusion Culling going on I believe.

This happens with pretty much any car part including the interior, both doors and bumpers, and even the peds driving them (as shown in my pics in the previous page), it all depends on the camera angle and the distance.

[blablabla]

I've taken a look at this and it seems like this is caused by skygfx. I'm just not quite sure why. I'm setting CVisibilityPlugins::ms_vehicleLod0RenderMultiPassDist to the ridiculous value of 100000000.0f whenever a vehicle is drawn as an attempt to increase the distance at which reflections are drawn. This was obviously a very ugly hack and for some reason causes the issue you mentioned. Now, whether these effects are drawn depend on visibility plugin flag 0x2000 (which is set and reset depending on distance to camera and the above mentioned multi pass distance). I don't know whether this flag is used for anything else or just this multi pass thing. In that case I could just ignore it in skygfx...
EDIT: i just increased the multiplier used at 0x73290A from 45.0f to 100.0f and it looks fine now.
  • pep legal, Tomasak, Reyks and 1 other like this

Reyks
  • Reyks

Valar Morghulis

• Feroci
  • Brazil

Posted 3 weeks ago Edited by Reyks, 3 weeks ago.

Nice! I never thought this was caused by SkyGfx, guess I should test stuff on vanilla more often before posting  :catspider:

kumaraguru
  • kumaraguru

Square Civilian

• Members
  • India

Posted 3 weeks ago

Hi Silent..

In SA if it's not possible to fix the "sun visible through CJ" bug, can u make an ini toggle to turn off the code/feature that triggers this bug in the first place..

Silent please, look at this..

Spoiler
  • Tomasak, BlackScout, TWIST_OF_HATE and 3 others like this

Silent
  • Silent

Chief Fixing Officer

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Poland
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2014
    Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2013
    Most Helpful [Mods] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure this happens in III, VC, SA PS2 too.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users