» «
Photo

Replacing CJ Player Model With Model of Drastically Different Shape

5 replies to this topic
UnknownToaster
  • UnknownToaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:17 PM Edited by UnknownToaster, 27 December 2013 - 08:23 PM.

Hello,

So I have very little experience with modding GTA, none to be exact.

My immediate goal was to replace the player model with something I made, and I wanted to turn CJ into a penguin.

I've been looking around for a resource on how to do such a thing and was about to try using a ped rig to match it up, but was gonna look for CJ's model and use that rig instead.

What I found out was that the player model is composed of separate pieces, which makes sense now, looking at the neck of the player model. But now I'm in a weird spot, not only do I know almost nothing, I have a very weird goal that may be lofty as well, and the one thing I was going to try went bust. So I decided I would ask instead of screw around for another couple days.

1. Is this going to be possible? To not only replace CJ with something of different anatomy, but of a drastically different size?

If so, I was hoping someone might try to detail what I might need to do (from what it seems, I'll have to cut my model into pieces for this) and even if it's going to be difficult, or effectively impossible for someone with such little experience, I would appreciate the understanding.

2. If not, is there any suggestions on ways to work around this problem? I mean, I was hoping to keep my model at the height I planned it to be, but I could scale it, but what I wouldn't want is to have to mess up the anatomy, because it's bad enough without having to distort my already distorted model.

Please, tell me what I should probably know and what I should/could do about this.

So you can see what the model is (I am willing to modify or re-do if necessary), here is the link.

This is in a 3D viewer online so you can see it in genuine 3D without programs, here. If that seems shifty, here's an image.

Anyhow, I genuinely appreciate you reading this far! Hopefully I can get some assistance on the matter, thank you!

Mark01
  • Mark01

It's nice to be nice but I wouldn't lie to be nice.

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Hi UnknownToaster,

I would suggest you to simply replace a ped model instead, as you say CJ model is assembled in parts so you'll have to replace his head, torso, legs and feet and cut your pinguin the same way as CJ and export them individually.

Or you can replace a ped model and get it in game in no more than 2 mins.

UnknownToaster
  • UnknownToaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

Hi UnknownToaster,

I would suggest you to simply replace a ped model instead, as you say CJ model is assembled in parts so you'll have to replace his head, torso, legs and feet and cut your pinguin the same way as CJ and export them individually.

Or you can replace a ped model and get it in game in no more than 2 mins.

Hey, thanks for the response!

Thing is, if I'm just going to make it a ped, I can do that, I'd say there's enough materials and sources around that I've seen that can show me how to do this, but what I really wanted to do was be able to play as said penguin if this is possible.

I found ala this thread thanks to Zaz about the parts of the character, he also mentions that it is possible via Cleo scripts to have a player model that's all one piece like in Vice City. With this, the two potential options I see are some how I have all the parts combined in some scale that allows all the parts to match that of the original model as far as heights and positions are, or I use the full model and get the rig to match.

If the first one is possible in any way, it seems like it would be complex, but with the alternative since SA's character isn't one rig, I imagine if I went the full model with a rig route, I'd bet I'd need to animate the whole model to match the animation sets of CJ.

Obviously I don't know enough if anything at all, so I can't say for sure either of those are accurate or really possible.

Thanks for the response  and hopefully more will help me understand some of this.

Mark01
  • Mark01

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

No problem ;)

Yes, you are talking about these scripts:

The one from ZAZ:

http://www.gtagarage...how.php?id=7482

Ryosuke:

http://hotmist.ddo.j...skin/index.html

CLEO:

http://cleo.sannybuilder.com/

Basically you can play as whoever you want in game whether it's a ped or other SA characters, you can also change CJ clothes etc...

So yep, in my view the best thing would be to use one of these scripts and rig your penguin as a ped, Ryosuke's skin selector loads peds/skins from a custom img file so you won't have to replace any characters from the game, simply install CLEO, Ryosuke skin selector, add your custom character in skin.img and you're good to go.

Then once in the game you have to hold TAB and use the scroll wheel up and down for next and previous skins.

----------------------

Here's a rigging tutorial From goin-god

http://gtaforums.com...-tutorial-ever/

For the animations, I don't think you'll have to create new ones if you can rig the penguin in a way that only some bones of the human skeleton are being used (hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say :p )

If you can create animations then that's even better however it would be more time consuming.

If you need some "guidance" for the rigging part then I would be glad to help or if you have any questions.

• UnknownToaster likes this

UnknownToaster
  • UnknownToaster

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

No problem ;)

Yes, you are talking about these scripts:

The one from ZAZ:

http://www.gtagarage...how.php?id=7482

Ryosuke:

http://hotmist.ddo.j...skin/index.html

CLEO:

http://cleo.sannybuilder.com/

Basically you can play as whoever you want in game whether it's a ped or other SA characters, you can also change CJ clothes etc...

So yep, in my view the best thing would be to use one of these scripts and rig your penguin as a ped, Ryosuke's skin selector loads peds/skins from a custom img file so you won't have to replace any characters from the game, simply install CLEO, Ryosuke skin selector, add your custom character in skin.img and you're good to go.

Then once in the game you have to hold TAB and use the scroll wheel up and down for next and previous skins.

----------------------

Here's a rigging tutorial From goin-god

http://gtaforums.com...-tutorial-ever/

For the animations, I don't think you'll have to create new ones if you can rig the penguin in a way that only some bones of the human skeleton are being used (hope you'll understand what I'm trying to say :p )

If you can create animations then that's even better however it would be more time consuming.

If you need some "guidance" for the rigging part then I would be glad to help or if you have any questions.

Wow! This is very useful! Thank you for posting and helping out, I really appreciate it.

I'll have to try this out, I had a few questions though.

Say I get this all working out fine for me. What happens when I want to share it with someone?

Now, the first thing is, will I be able to make it feel kind of seemless for the player? By this I mean can I set it so that this penguin model by default is selected without the user doing anything so it seems like it's completely normal? Or would it be like say the player selection in SA-MP where you scroll through and find it? Because while I can live with it, it would be great to have it automatically selected without the user knowing.

Furthermore, had I wanted to distribute this to friends, they would need to install Cleo and add in the script that I'm using in?

I know there are some major mods that require lots of scripts and such that don't require you to install things separate from the mod, I assume this is because they use an installer that will put in all such things already, and such an installer seems like it might be overkill. Is there an easy mode of distribution that would leave less work for the user?

I really appreciate your help and will follow your advice as told. Hopefully I can get it to work without too many hickups along the way, thank you again not only for the useful post, but I really appreciate your offer of assistance. Thanks!

Mark01
  • Mark01

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:53 AM Edited by Mark01, 28 December 2013 - 05:05 AM.

Right, so what you want is your penguin as the main protagonist, replacing CJ in the original storyline then you can stick to the idea of replacing his body parts, if you do that the only file your friends will have to replace is player.img which is easy to do, however I'm not sure if the cutscene models are inside player.img, it's important if you want your penguin in cutscenes.

Or

If you're not convinced of replacing CJ's body parts then rig your penguin as a ped model, create a CLEO script that replace CJ with the ped (your penguin) then send the whole CLEO folder to your friends and they won't have to do anything else but you'll have to create the script.

EDIT: Good news, that script already exist:

http://www.gtagaming.../cleo-mods/5844

I just saw your pm, I'll take a look :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users