Photo

Clash of two communities?

153 replies to this topic
sportbikepilot369
  • sportbikepilot369

member QotD

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:41 PM Edited by sportbikepilot369, 27 December 2013 - 02:42 PM.

After reading some comments yesterday I started to wonder if allot of the problems between people over the hacked money is a clash between two different gaming communities/gaming styles.

On the one have you have people playing GTAO like an MMO. Roleplaying bank heists. Asking Cockstar to give them pets (oh for f*cks sake, can you imagine the threads on the forums "Some a-hole shot my dog! Boo hoo hoo!"). Bitching on and on about some non existent in game "economy". They are used to a slow style of game play, used to and actually enjoy the slow grind for xp and cash.

On the other hand you have the old school GTA/FPS players that just want to kill other players, create chaos, f*ck sh*t up. (as in blow up cars, not as in hack the game). 

I belong to that second group. I have always tried to level up as quick as possible in any game. I want that advance rifle damnit. It sucks ass getting into a firefight against a mini-gun and all you have is a sawed off shotgun.

I have only played a couple of MMOs. I tried WoW and I can not convey how much I f*cking hated that game and never understood it's popularity. I played Star Trek Online for awhile, jaded by the experience. I kept waiting for the developers to fix the glaring problems with it and quit when they switched to the free to play/micro-transaction model.

I remember a comment from someone on here saying how Cockstar meant this game to be played. How they were enjoying the arduous grind from lowly street thug to kingpin. How they look back fondly on their first apartment, still had their first car. And I kept thinking "What f*cking game are you playing!? I'm playing GTA.", GTA 4 on steroids is what I bought the game expecting, and how I have approached playing.

Is this a clash between two different play styles and are they even compatible in the same sandbox? Thoughts?

• PandaLambpaws likes this

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:47 PM Edited by LBxFinalDeath, 27 December 2013 - 02:52 PM.

The cold hard truth is Rockstar's vision was to appeal to those who want a more MMO experience who want to get money and such slowly so they feel like they accomplished something when they get what they want.

If it wasn't GTAO would be a clone of GTA IV with updated graphics and money would have no purpose at all other than just wasting space like in GTA IV...no jobs and such.

Rockstar intends on GTAV keeping the 360 and PS3 alive for at least a couple years..thats why it takes so long to get money and such without glitches..hence why its not going on next-gen or PC in the seeable future. 

I mean even the name GTA ONLINE insinuates a more MMO feel.

Those who prefer the mindless killing playstyle without any problems of GTA IV should just go back to GTA IV if thats all they want or get a PC and play San andreas online.

• MikeNielson616 and GrottiCollector like this

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

Asking Cockstar to

And now I officially don't take this thread seriously.

• TreFacTor, Drajonu, seventonblade and 14 others like this

Themonsterhunter
  • Themonsterhunter

Bounty Hunter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

You mean the hackers vs the non-hackers? 

• dtsmucker likes this

mrmarcd
  • mrmarcd

Prankster

• Members

Being a player that grinds nothing but missions, loves firefights, but doesn't mind getting into a bit of role play at the same time, I don't see why they can't co-exist.

I consider myself a part of both groups.

• Judas0ne, SlingShotUK, dtsmucker and 2 others like this

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Cyber Multiculturalist

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:54 PM Edited by Yogogamer, 27 December 2013 - 02:55 PM.

After reading some comments yesterday I started to wonder if allot of the problems between people over the hacked money is a clash between two different gaming communities/gaming styles.

On the one have you have people playing GTAO like an MMO. Roleplaying bank heists. Asking Cockstar to give them pets (oh for f*cks sake, can you imagine the threads on the forums "Some a-hole shot my dog! Boo hoo hoo!"). Bitching on and on about some non existent in game "economy". They are used to a slow style of game play, used to and actually enjoy the slow grind for xp and cash.

On the other hand you have the old school GTA/FPS players that just want to kill other players, create chaos, f*ck sh*t up. (as in blow up cars, not as in hack the game). 

I belong to that second group. I have always tried to level up as quick as possible in any game. I want that advance rifle damnit. It sucks ass getting into a firefight against a mini-gun and all you have is a sawed off shotgun.

I have only played a couple of MMOs. I tried WoW and I can not convey how much I f*cking hated that game and never understood it's popularity. I played Star Trek Online for awhile, jaded by the experience. I kept waiting for the developers to fix the glaring problems with it and quit when they switched to the free to play/micro-transaction model.

I remember a comment from someone on here saying how Cockstar meant this game to be played. How they were enjoying the arduous grind from lowly street thug to kingpin. How they look back fondly on their first apartment, still had their first car. And I kept thinking "What f*cking game are you playing!? I'm playing GTA.", GTA 4 on steroids is what I bought the game expecting, and how I have approached playing.

Is this a clash between two different play styles and are they even compatible in the same sandbox? Thoughts?

Agree with everything except this

GTA/FPS players that just want to kill other players, create chaos, f*ck sh*t up. (as in blow up cars, not as in hack the game). Yes, It's Gta, You can and are encouraged to do such, However, I don't necessarily agree with blowing up people's cars (Personal Vehicles) As that's kind of like working hard for something and then having someone erase that in 1.2 seconds

sportbikepilot369
  • sportbikepilot369

member QotD

• Members
  • None

The cold hard truth is Rockstar's vision was to appeal to those who want a more MMO experience who want to get money and such slowly so they feel like they accomplished something when they get what they want.

If it wasn't GTAO would be a clone of GTA IV with updated graphics...no jobs and such.

Rockstar intends on GTAV keeping the 360 and PS3 alive for at least a couple years..thats why it takes so long to get money and such without glitches..hence why its not going on next-gen or PC in the seeable future. 

I'm starting to see that. Do you think the MMO play style is compatible with the GTA free roam sandbox? Do you think C* is falling on their ass in the implementation? Like blowing up PV -> goto BS server. Never understood this.

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:00 PM Edited by LBxFinalDeath, 27 December 2013 - 03:03 PM.

If it wasn't GTAO would be a clone of GTA IV with updated graphics...no jobs and such.

I'm starting to see that. Do you think the MMO play style is compatible with the GTA free roam sandbox? Do you think C* is falling on their ass in the implementation? Like blowing up PV -> goto BS server. Never understood this.

I'd say Rockstar was actually successful in making it a MMO since some people treat it as a MMO...now for if Rockstar can appease both sides? I think not, I mean think of it this way.. a soldier who doesn't care about orders and just wants to run into a warzone and shoot people gets put into a squad that only does things if carefully planned out tactics are used and prefers to take things slowly compared to the one soldier who only likes to do things fast....do you think they will be able to work together? I think not.  I used that as an example because the typical "classic gta player" prefers to haul arse around the map blowing everything up as fast as possible (some unintentionally grief other players) and demand to get everything handed to them as fast as possible and don't want to work to get things since they feel entitled...while the "MMO GTA" players welcome the slow grind to get rp and money and don't feel entitled simply because they made a character unlike the "classic gta" players..

Mixing the two together will always cause arguments and fighting because they feel their way of playing is right...and I don't see how Rockstar can appease both sides without a single problem.

• NuklerGhost101838 likes this

sportbikepilot369
  • sportbikepilot369

member QotD

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:03 PM

GTA/FPS players that just want to kill other players, create chaos, f*ck sh*t up. (as in blow up cars, not as in hack the game). Yes, It's Gta, You can and are encouraged to do such, However, I don't necessarily agree with blowing up people's cars (Personal Vehicles) As that's kind of like working hard for something and then having someone erase that in 1.2 seconds

You bring up a good point. I have never understood the consequences for blowing up PV. It's GTA for f*ck sake. Plus I pay the insurance. The player gets their PV back within minutes. No loss, no foul, just fun mayhem. I was surprised at how attached to these imaginary digital items people were getting. So do you think these two play styles are compatible in a GTA style free roam?

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

IM OLD SKOOL and i don't play GTA to cause chaos.  I never did.

Not in any GTA game i've ever played has chaos or f*ckin sh*t up appealed to me.

I enjoy GTA for the CRIME and the driving.    Not the chaos.  

• saintsrow, robban, mambonutz and 5 others like this

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:04 PM Edited by LBxFinalDeath, 27 December 2013 - 03:05 PM.

People feel attached to those imaginary digital items because they spent valuable time of Earth to get them and you destroy them in less than 2 seconds.

Its like winning a trophy and some dude just comes by grabs it and breaks it with a shovel right infront of you.

• Yogogamer likes this

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Cyber Multiculturalist

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:07 PM Edited by Yogogamer, 27 December 2013 - 03:09 PM.

You bring up a good point. I have never understood the consequences for blowing up PV. It's GTA for f*ck sake. Plus I pay the insurance. The player gets their PV back within minutes. No loss, no foul, just fun mayhem. I was surprised at how attached to these imaginary digital items people were getting. So do you think these two play styles are compatible in a GTA style free roam?

Woah, Woah, Calm down, I'm just saying, Most of the time people blow up my PV, I have to pay the insurance, And it happens to others aswell, Might just be a bug, Plus it's insanely annoying when you drive out of your garage only to be blown to bits by a sticky/tank (Happened to me as i was driving my brand new Bullet to LSC)

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

That was R* way of trying to curb retard actions.   Some people are stuck in tard mode.

Derp join GTA O ..Derp sticky bomb PVs.   This is their fans bases basic level of thinking.  

I mean i don't really like BS but i can see why R* added it.

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

That was R* way of trying to curb retard actions.   Some people are stuck in tard mode.

Derp join GTA O ..Derp sticky bomb PVs.   This is their fans bases basic level of thinking.  

I mean i don't really like BS but i can see why R* added it.

I prefer to be politically correct and call it "They still have the GTA IV mentality"

Watchman70
  • Watchman70

The posts I really like are wooden ones with signs attached

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm starting to see that. Do you think the MMO play style is compatible with the GTA free roam sandbox?

I think it could be but not in it's current format.

I definitely fit in the former of the two categories you suggested - I love the grind but can see how this would not appeal to others.

The simplest solution would be to create an area (not a token part but a large element of the city and surrounding landscape) on the map that chaos can rule and you enter at your own peril - no BS, PVs fair game etc. The rest of the map is free roam but weapons & melee disabled. Shops, LSC etc would be located in both zones

That way everyone could play the game they wanted Chaos freaks like your good self could battle hard in the 'war' zone and grinders could poodle away with out being griefed every 5 minutes in the Safe zone

I would also add various weapon stashes or drops in the 'War zone' to restock ammo etc and negate the need to have $billions gifted every time you enter a public session.

However, R* need to sort out the current situation and provide a stable platform first to prevent further hacking/modding.

• psilocybonaut likes this

sportbikepilot369
  • sportbikepilot369

member QotD

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

I'd say Rockstar was actually successful in making it a MMO since some people treat it as a MMO...now for if Rockstar can appease both sides? I think not, I mean think of it this way.. a soldier who doesn't care about orders and just wants to run into a warzone and shoot people gets put into a squad that only does things if carefully planned out tactics are used and prefers to take things slowly compared to the one soldier who only likes to do things fast....do you think they will be able to work together? I think not.  I used that as an example because the typical "classic gta player" prefers to haul arse around the map blowing everything up as fast as possible (some unintentionally grief other players) and demand to get everything handed to them as fast as possible and don't want to work to get things since they feel entitled...while the "MMO GTA" players welcome the slow grind to get rp and money and don't feel entitled simply because they made a character unlike the "classic gta" players..

Mixing the two together will always cause arguments and fighting because they feel their way of playing is right...and I don't see how Rockstar can appease both sides without a single problem.

Good points. I have mostly ignore missions, only raced to unlock mods, and have enjoyed free roam. I think free roam is where the problems are. You have the players who came in expecting GTA 4 just with more gun and customization, and the players expecting an MMO. In STO PvP only happened in certain areas that you had to choose to enter or during certain mission types. In open space you never fought against other players or had to worry about you precious starship getting torpedoed. In GTAO, your car will be destroyed, you will be shot repeatedly while trying to find the prefect outfit for you avatar. And while there is really zero consequences (save your precious k/d ratio) the MMO players find it hard for their digital selves to die or that car they struggled do hard to buy to get blown up. Should they have had separate servers for the two styles? Invite only just isn't the same thinig.

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Cyber Multiculturalist

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

People feel attached to those imaginary digital items because they spent valuable time of Earth to get them and you destroy them in less than 2 seconds.

Its like winning a trophy and some dude just comes by grabs it and breaks it with a shovel right infront of you.

My point exactly.

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:18 PM Edited by LBxFinalDeath, 27 December 2013 - 03:20 PM.

I'd say they should do what someone earlier suggested, make most of the game map FORCED passive mode but have areas in every environment of the map for PVP with ammo caches and what not so they can enjoy their chaos.

TDM and such would still have a purpose for those who wanna have those fabled GTA Crew battles...and make money.

Also I think if Rockstar was to do that they'd have to make it so if you're hit by a vehicle in the forced passive zones you are only shoved around rather than run over and killed that way..tanks do it a lot to those in passive mode, I've watched it happen before I snipe the tanker out of his tank and he leaves the server and sends me a msg saying Im a hacker.

• thehomelessclown1 likes this

z0etr0pe
  • z0etr0pe

Grand Theft Horse

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

rockstar doesn't need to appease both sides and will never try to. this is what invite-only sessions are for. each type of player (and there are way more than just two) can play the game they want with the players they want. all the crying and moaning on this forum is pathetic noise.

• Toke and Miss Malevolent like this

Ibareny
  • Ibareny

Bananas <3

• Members
  • Cuba

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:20 PM

So you're part of the retarded community who all they want to do is bring a tank in the middle of the city and blow and spawnkill people 24/7 to no point. And yet you think you can insult the player base that is actually trying to play the f*ckING GAME HOW IT'S MEANT TO BE?

You're a complete idiotic dumbass. And if you're a girl judging by your profile picture. I'm sorry. But somehow I doubt that.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Should they have had separate servers for the two styles? Invite only just isn't the same thinig.

Yes... They should.  Like RDR friendly free roam.

Passive doesn't work...  They need a passive free roam for sure.

• dtsmucker likes this

Yogogamer
  • Yogogamer

Cyber Multiculturalist

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

rockstar doesn't need to appease both sides and will never try to. this is what invite-only sessions are for. each type of player (and there are way more than just two) can play the game they want with the players they want. all the crying and moaning on this forum is pathetic noise.

If you always play Invite-Only

You might as well be playing Single Player....

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

So you're part of the retarded community who all they want to do is bring a tank in the middle of the city and blow and spawnkill people 24/7 to no point. 

lol..

Thats what GTA is all about...

Just kidding..   Ya they are retarded.

• dtsmucker likes this

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:22 PM Edited by LBxFinalDeath, 27 December 2013 - 03:23 PM.

The problem with that is naturally only those on your friends list and those you know will be able to join and most players prefer to meet new people who share their interests..which rules invite only out imo.

AlienTwo
  • AlienTwo

Rocky Mountain Emperor

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

You mean the hackers vs the non-hackers? 

No, I am no ta hacker but I am a multi-billionaire. 

z0etr0pe
  • z0etr0pe

Grand Theft Horse

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

The problem with that is naturally only those on your friends list and those you know will be able to join and most players prefer to meet new people who share their interests..which rules invite only out imo.

yeah, so you enter public forums, meet like-minded players, then go invite-only and set up your own games. i started gta online with a new account and zero people on my friends list. now i have around 20 or so just from meeting cool players in public sessions. that's more than enough players to have fun with.

sportbikepilot369
  • sportbikepilot369

member QotD

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm starting to see that. Do you think the MMO play style is compatible with the GTA free roam sandbox?

I think it could be but not in it's current format.

I definitely fit in the former of the two categories you suggested - I love the grind but can see how this would not appeal to others.

The simplest solution would be to create an area (not a token part but a large element of the city and surrounding landscape) on the map that chaos can rule and you enter at your own peril - no BS, PVs fair game etc. The rest of the map is free roam but weapons & melee disabled. Shops, LSC etc would be located in both zones

That way everyone could play the game they wanted Chaos freaks like your good self could battle hard in the 'war' zone and grinders could poodle away with out being griefed every 5 minutes in the Safe zone

I would also add various weapon stashes or drops in the 'War zone' to restock ammo etc and negate the need to have $billions gifted every time you enter a public session.

However, R* need to sort out the current situation and provide a stable platform first to prevent further hacking/modding.

Great ideas. That would probably help both side to get all they want out of GTAO.

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:29 PM Edited by LBxFinalDeath, 27 December 2013 - 03:30 PM.

You're asking far too much of people though z0e, people for the most part have the mindset of "I'll meet cool peeps in-game." rather than "Let me go out of my way and go onto a forum and meet people."

This isn't the era of SNES man where people went out of their way to do things with games.

fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

Cockstar

As soon as I saw this, I stopped reading. Good luck with the rest of your opinion.

• Toke, Magick, Odesza and 3 others like this

StewNorth
  • StewNorth

Let's do it all over again, again.

• Members
  • China

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Im with you OP, im here to kill people and f*ck sh*t up.

Doesnt mean i hate nor despise the PVErs, although it's quite funny when I across (kill) one in freeroam...they just lose their sh*t lol, and either start shouting profanities and/or trying to kill me back repeatedly.

Like I said, PvP and PvE rarely mix well though. I'm sure they're much more proficient at playing missions and making cash than I am...but in freeroam I (or any other PvPer) pwn them. It's normal really, you get good at what you practice.

2 crowds ? Definitely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users