Quantcast

» «
Photo

Does everyone in life contemplate suicide at least once?

139 replies to this topic
Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:58 AM

Out of interest yes.
Death has always fascinated me.
If You put some thought to it and give it a time, he can be your friend too.

Back in the teen years I killed myself with substances.

And once I met an Angel and wished I never wake up.

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

I love this theme song and it's relevant. I have no idea what it means but I never saw it as an actual endorsement. Most likely ironical.

Suicidal thoughts I believe are more common when you're younger. Change can be a bitch. If you need help, reach out to friends, family, or a professional. It's pretty permanent so take my advice: if you feel like killing yourself do it tomorrow after you've slept and thought about it. If you still feel like dying, repeat this process.
  • Sting4S likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:17 PM Edited by Audiophile, 27 December 2013 - 02:18 PM.

^

It's funny because in my family the opposite is believed! If you are young then you have absolutely nothing to be depressed about!

Try and explain that it's one of the most difficult stages of one's life because it's when you're expected to sort yourself out, get yourself into a career and all in all lay the foundations for the remainder of your life.

It's astonishing to me that they, having gone through this, do not agree. It can't just be me, can it?

But then, I suppose when they were in their 20's the majority of them were engaged or married. My parents had me at 21 and 20, for example. I suppose compared to them, yes, it would be easier in comparison.

But then I could say they always had it easy compared to starving children in Africa. Can't just say "my life was harder therefore you have no right". There are always people out there who are worse off than someone and to use that against someone in order to dismiss their feelings isn't right.

• PaletoChickenCapo and heer like this

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:32 PM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 27 December 2013 - 02:33 PM.

Every single day. It's a wild roller-coaster ride everyday. 

Sometimes I feel great and I want to kick life right in it's ass then a few minutes later and I will be sitting in the ER waiting to get life's boot removed from mine. I can change from being super positive and on top of the world to being really negative and down in the dumps in a matter of minutes. It's as if my whole personality changes from the "good" me to the "terrible" me. It really sucks because sometimes it's hard to see who the "real" me actually is.    

That's how it goes with me too.
Yes, I've thought of suicide at times but there was always a hope that things will somehow get alright. Hope's the dope.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

I doubt "everyone" contemplates suicide.

but I'm sure it's a lot more common than many people are willing to admit.

I never took it seriously, but I once considered whether my parents would be better off had I not existed. this was some time shortly after finishing high school, before any of the colleges I applied to had accepted me (or not) and my head was in a weird place. probably didn't help that my first serious relationship came to an end around the same time.

so it wasn't really contemplating suicide either.

more like daydreaming about the world without me... like A Wonderful Life or something.

No, but I do after reading these replies...

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

I never took it seriously, but I once considered whether my parents would be better off had I not existed. this was some time shortly after finishing high school, before any of the colleges I applied to had accepted me (or not) and my head was in a weird place. probably didn't help that my first serious relationship came to an end around the same time.

so it wasn't really contemplating suicide either.

more like daydreaming about the world without me... like A Wonderful Life or something.

I went through the same sort of thing.

It's funny, if you work your arse off in high school, it just adds on the pressure. Even though I had decent grades, I felt shattered as I only got into my second choice university (very petty I know). In all honesty I just wanted to join the army then as seeing all of the lay offs of highly skilled workers and office jockeys made the whole "rat race" look fickle. With that said, seeing soldiers being laid off made me realise I'd probably have the best chance going for it at university. I think all of this underscores that certainty and stability are tantamount to contentment--without those things, it's hard to grasp a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

Nudg3r
  • Nudg3r

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

No, suicide is for pussies.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yes, I've thought about committing suicide for many years now. I haven't been happy for a long time, since my youth at best. To be honest, I'm miserable as hell. When I'm at my girlfriend's house and her friends are over there and all of them are all jolly and making jokes, I pretend to laugh and smile. It hurts. I'm scared of death. I can't get my head around the fact that nothing will exist and it will stay like that forever.

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Returning Member 2013
    Best Member in a Group 2013
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:26 PM Edited by Panz, 27 December 2013 - 03:30 PM.

Oh yeah, I thought about it a bit back when I was younger when my family started falling to sh*t.  It's still sh*t now, but a much more predictable and organized sh*t.  I always threatened that I'd do it during arguments with my mother, which probably wasn't the best idea because then she just threatened to ship me off to an insane asylum or something dramatic of the sort.

We're such a loving family.

But yes, it's tough when you're a kid. You have the problems of school bullies or, in many cases, parents are getting divorced, and you have obnoxious siblings or drugs or money problems that you wish you could help out with but can't.  As a kid, you feel helpless because there's no sense of power in your life, and you can easily start to feel meaningless.  I think that's why so many people can admit that they thought about it moreso as children than as adults. 

Edit: For any adult here that is thinking about suicide, you have the ability to turn your life into something you want it to be.  Don't be a lazy sh*t.  Work your ass off and do something for yourself that you can be proud of.  Your life will turn around eventually, but you have to work towards a goal and keep yourself driven.  As for the kids here, life will get better. Childhood can be tough at times, and just know that everyone goes through it and that there are plenty of people to talk to who can offer you advice if you're feeling down. I'm sure we've all been through our fair share of sh*t, but you can't just give up over a bump in the road. 

• Failure and PaletoChickenCapo like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

But yes, it's tough when you're a kid. You have the problems of school bullies or, in many cases, parents are getting divorced, and you have obnoxious siblings or drugs or money problems that you wish you could help out with but can't.  As a kid, you feel helpless because there's no sense of power in your life, and you can easily start to feel meaningless.  I think that's why so many people can admit that they thought about it moreso as children than as adults. 

I am thirteen but I've never contemplated suicide even once. Sure I feel helpless at times but It has not gone to an extent where I'd want to commit suicide. As a child you are mostly carefree and can't be bothered with things such as suicide, it's quite rare to find a child contemplating suicide. I personally feel it is more common among 'younger adults'.

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

True. To clarify, I really meant child as anyone through the age of 18, and you're right, it does seem to occur in those pre-teen, teen, and young adult phases. For me, I was talking about when I was 14 or 15.

Waldie
  • Waldie

Dickensian Mockney

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:57 PM Edited by Waldie, 27 December 2013 - 03:57 PM.

I don't recall ever contemplating suicide, even though I'm fairly certain I've been living with depression for a number of years. As far as I'm concerned, this is our only life, so why throw it away?

And frankly, I have no sympathy for these suicidal people. Unless your severely disabled or living in constant physical pain, I see no good reason to kill yourself.

But hey, if you really don't want to be here, then by all means, go for it. Stop using up everyone else's resources. Just make it clean and discrete, alright? No jumping in front of trains and sh*t, that f*cks up everyone else's day. In fact, I reckon Futurama's got the right idea with those suicide booths.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:31 PM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 27 December 2013 - 05:35 PM.

Anybody who expresses suicidal thoughts or intentions should be taken very, very seriously. Do not hesitate to call your local suicide hotline immediately. Call 800-SUICIDE (800-784-2433) or 800-273-TALK (800-273-8255) -- or the deaf hotline at 1-800-4889. Or contact a mental health professional immediately.

Warning signs of suicide include:
Thoughts or talk of death or suicide
Thoughts or talk of self-harm or harm to others
Aggressive behavior or impulsiveness

Previous suicide attempts increase the risk for future suicide attempts and completed suicide. All mention of suicide or violence must be taken seriously. If you intend or have a plan to commit suicide, go to the emergency room for immediate evaluation and treatment.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

Soothe us with sweet lies...

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:33 PM Edited by Audiophile, 27 December 2013 - 05:33 PM.

This is the theme song of this thread.

Let us all get our lighters out.

• Mister Kay likes this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:05 PM Edited by Typhus, 27 December 2013 - 06:08 PM.

As far as I'm concerned, this is our only life, so why throw it away?

Well...

And frankly, I have no sympathy for these suicidal people. Unless your severely disabled or living in constant physical pain, I see no good reason to kill yourself.

Yeah. Sorry. It's not much of a life if people like you are always there to tell us that our suffering isn't severe enough to complain about.

You have the empathy of a f*cking trout and still wonder why people find living in this world intolerable?

• PaletoChickenCapo likes this

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

just because you can't handle this world doesn't mean it's intolerable :beerhat:

Waldie
  • Waldie

Dickensian Mockney

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:33 PM Edited by Waldie, 27 December 2013 - 07:35 PM.

Yeah. Sorry. It's not much of a life if people like you are always there to tell us that our suffering isn't severe enough to complain about.

You have the empathy of a f*cking trout and still wonder why people find living in this world intolerable?

Well if not getting any sympathy from people like me can drive a bunch of whiners to suicide then they truly are pathetic. Chances are, the people not crying about life have had to deal with just as much hardship - quite possibly a lot more and therefore have a hard time caring about a bunch of angsty teens and people crying about comparatively trivial things.

You're right though, I'm not especially empathetic, but I don't really see that as such a bad thing. :cool:

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:29 PM Edited by orbitalraindrops, 27 December 2013 - 09:30 PM.

Used to think about it a bit I suppose. I wouldn't now though. Life is too precious. Like when you actually think about it it's mad. The fact that we're ever hear at this point is insane. Like how many things must have gone right for that to happen. The temperature of our planet being just right. Clean breathable air. A gravitational pull that keeps us routed and doesn't send us off into space. A planet rich in resources and life to allow us to thrive. The ability to communicate our thoughts using sounds and squiggly lines on paper. Right now we are the most intelligent species in the known universe and people want to end that. They want to end this beautiful experience that is life. I mean why am I here. How did I get to experience this. I can't remember anything before I was born. It's just a void. And then my consciousness bursts into frame. And there's so much going on. And it's scary and beautiful and utterly utterly crazy. Sometimes I think of all my flaws, how I'm a bad person, How I don't stand up alongside my peers. But then I remember that it's not all bad. I'm a white male in one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. I have the opportunity to change my current situation everywhere I go. Life is hard at times. There's things I struggle with, as does everyone. But it really is so so beautiful and I wouldn't want to end that for anything.

• Melchior and S5L3T0 like this

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

I've thought of Suicide, But never committing it, I just don't see why ending my life so young to be better than growing up and seeing the brighter side of things.

As inappropriate as modern society has made it, Yolo.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, contemplating is one thing and thinking it about it briefly is another. It occurs to most people, but a lot of them are too afraid to think about it too much. Also, involuntary thoughts in times of stress are meaningless.

I have never really thought about it in great detail. I did think how I could do it, but it seemed that there isn't an easy and sure way to do it (for me). Most of my contemplation on this subject was more about the aftermath, how my family would react. I think I used to think of that in order to remember the feeling of how terrible it would be for them to find my body. It made me feel so bad even thinking about it, I would never do that to them.

StormerBoy
  • StormerBoy

Tribe Leader

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

Clearly it is a sad and unfortunate state of affairs when someone has no other way out in life, other than to end their life. But suicide must also be the most basic human right of them all; deciding whether or not YOU want to live or die. If you can't control that, then what can you have a say over?

• PaletoChickenCapo likes this

Danz.
  • Danz.

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

If I helped people to commit suicide, would I be considered an assassin?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Clearly it is a sad and unfortunate state of affairs when someone has no other way out in life, other than to end their life. But suicide must also be the most basic human right of them all; deciding whether or not YOU want to live or die. If you can't control that, then what can you have a say over?

The problem is that we develop attachments and the love we have for our family and friends can become, quite sadly so, a form of slavery. We can live in misery, but do so purely out of a desire to help others. It's not nice, because you have no real purpose beyond sticking around for the gratification of those around you.

The very act of getting up every day and going through the motions is done for them - but if you were to do that one little thing that would make you happy, you'd forever be known as selfish, or a coward, or a pussy.

You can suffer your whole f*cking life and have all that silent struggling wiped away in a single moment. People really do expect us to live with our pain, never talk about it and magically get better. It's not enough that I live for my family - I have to be enthusiastic about it, I not only have to live, I have to live in a way which pleases them.

I doubt I could make any of you understand how awful it is to be trapped here simply because you love people too much to leave. It's like I'm a slave, that's how it feels.

• Audiophile and PaletoChickenCapo like this

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

5KΣΓ

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

The problem is that we develop attachments and the love we have for our family and friends can become, quite sadly so, a form of slavery.

Two can play at this game. If it is egotistic to commit suicide, it surely must be egotistic as well to have that sort of attachment towards people. One could argue that such attachments are involuntary and to some degree that might be true, but only because people tend not to pay attention to what they feel and how it affects them. I think that, ultimately, negative emotions that lead to suicide are in most cases just as avoidable as the kind of attachments people form for those close to them. Of course, this is easier said than done.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

Surely everyone must have done so at least one time when things have been so sh*t that they give it semi-serous 'thought'? Not necessarily anything more than just thought, but to at least have thought about it? For example teenage years can be very confusing and emotional.

I would say not everyone has a serious thought about it.
A lot of people give that line "it selfish to commit suicide" meaning they haven't a clue what it can mean to someone who has given it serious thought.

I have and I tried to act on it multiple times without anyone knowing until recently when I decided I need to get my life together rather than break it apart.
Turns out I suffer from a serious anxiety issue. Understanding that alone has helped me so much to the point I have gotten my first proper girlfriend, I can talk to people about my issues and I'm actually feeling happy for the first time ever.

It seems so stupid for me to say, but there is something you can do to help yourself out of it. But only you can do it.

I was purposely running my self into the ground until I'd no longer be able to take it once again and maybe finally do it. I went the other way and got myself diagnosed after 20 years of avoiding helping myself. My anxiety caused all manner of problems from suicidal thoughts to self harming and pushing most people out of my life.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

I used to, then I realized that people who commit suicide are nothing but selfish cowards who only care about themselves. Killing myself just so I don't have to deal with the problems of daily life and leaving behind a bunch of people to mourn me for the rest of their lives is one of the most selfish things I can imagine. I would basically be curing my own depression and passing it onto them. If my best friend was going through depression and decided to off himself, I would miss him, but I would also lose all respect for him as a human being. It would be his choice alone to leave this world and leave everyone he knows to mourn for him. This is how I feel about anyone who commits suicide. They don't deserve my sympathy, because they chose themselves to leave this world and forever scar their relatives rather than find the strength to carry on.

Bullying victims are the absolute worst culprits, especially this ''Cyber-bullying'' nonsense. Sorry if this comes off as blunt, but everyone gets bullied in school. And most don't kill themselves. They get over it. Heck I was f*cking bullied all the time and you don't see me committing suicide.

I could not finish your post. People who say that those who commit suicide are selfish cowards are just blatantly ignorant. I think suicide is a dumb desparate move but calling those who do it cowards? Really?
Perhaps in that moment when you are about to kill yourself it does take courage to decide if you are really gonna go through with it, but in no way does that make it right.

Maybe coward is a bit harsh but if those people chose not to commit suicide and deal with or seek help for their problems, their lives would improve eventually. It is much better than just ending your life on a whim. They would realize that their loved ones are always there for them, and the effects it would have on them if they were to commit suicide. There are people in this world much worse off than those who kill themselves, who would do anything just to be in the same situation as them. But suicide victims don't realize that and act as if their situation is inescapable when it really isn't.
Agreed. But what about those who don't really have any loved ones left, either died in a horrific way or just died off leaving said person alone for the most part?

They'll have to get one with life because suicide won't change anything. It's not like committing suicide will bring them back.
What? I doubt they're thinking suicide will bring loved ones back. They're just extremely hurt and dude I don't know if you realized, not everyone handles things the same way. Like some people grieve heavily when a loved one dies and some try to move on as soon as possible. Not everybody is the same.
  • Panz likes this

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:09 AM

Do you think that, if those who committed suicide had a chance to come back, they would regret it?  As said above, everyone handles hardship differently. Some bottle up their emotions and put up a hard shell and move on.  Others sob into the comfort of a loved one's lap for as long as needs to be done.  Others hurt themselves because they don't know how else to handle it.  

I don't condone suicide, but I don't think that anyone who commits suicide should ever be called pathetic or weak or a coward.  That was, sadly, that person's way of dealing with the hardship that he/she had to endure.  

A lot of us commit dramatic acts when we're experiencing overwhelming emotions.  Sometimes we punch walls, sometimes we get into car accidents, and sometimes we physically hurt other people because we aren't fully in control.  Similarly, some people commit suicide.  It's just another way, and obviously it's a very extreme decision, but there are people who would rather be dead than deal with the emotional pain.  Look, those who live in hospital beds or are dying of a physical illness are suffering, but so are those who are experiencing emotional pain.

We've all heard that the mind is a powerful thing, but it's quite true at times.  Mental pain can trump physical pain in many cases.

• Failure, Sting4S and D4 Damager like this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:13 AM

Exactly. Not everybody is the same. But the point is, you can be sure that most of the time they think Death might bring them to their loved ones. Of course misery and pain is one thing but I am quite sure that the motive I stated above is the reason for their suicide.

Also, woman are more prone to commit suicide than men. There are many reasons for committing suicide, debts and love affairs being the most common.

Panz
  • Panz

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Hottest Member 2014

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:25 AM

Is that really the case though? I know more young people who committed suicide than older people. Obviously that's anecdotal evidence, but still. If you're talking about loved ones who have already passed, then why would young people commit suicide if their loved ones are all most likely alive?

Where did you hear of that?

I guess we can't really ask them what the motive was, but to me, it seems to be more that they feel meaningless in the world and feel that no one would miss them. When I was depressed as a teenager, I thought about suicide briefly, never seriously, and it really only came to mind after I'd had a fight with one of my family members or whenever one of them insulted me.  It was one of those, "Fine, you don't like me. See what it's like when I'm gone then," type of things. Something like that. It probably varies from person to person depending on age, though. I was pretty young then.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:31 AM

Is that really the case though? I know more young people who committed suicide than older people. Obviously that's anecdotal evidence, but still. If you're talking about loved ones who have already passed, then why would young people commit suicide if their loved ones are all most likely alive?

I was talking about youngish people, early 30's. That's what it is like in India. We live in different countries so it can't be the same. (Although I'm guessing teens commit suicide in America more than the age group I stated. Ex: Amanda Todd) And almost all the time it's only woman and for some reason, they aren't from well-off families either. And most of the time they have a child who is quite young.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users