Paleto Forest Discussion

632 replies to this topic
ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Same for the desert, I just don't feel alone with all the activity going on around.  R* is losing it, they make retarded decisions.

• B Dawg and mariana_dm1989 like this

Voggs
  • Voggs

Just like the white winged dove

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

Desert could have been better like SA's, with ghost towns, creepy things and stuff, but I care more for the woods, I loved exploring those areas on SA, they felt big, creepy and well made. The problem with the woods in V is that there are very few trees and a lot of roads, filling those areas with car noises and giving an urban feel to it. Some say it's console limitation or FPS, but when I see RDR's Tall Trees area I really doubt it, RDR is almost as big as GTA V, IMO they were just too lazy to put the trees back in there again while finishing.

Mountains are a major waste of space, and there's absolutely NOTHING interesting to do there, you can't climb on foot because your character will fall every time, those areas would have been perfect for a proper woods area, but no, "Let's put some boring ass mountains to fill the rest of the map and delete most of the vegetation in the areas we showed to our fans on official screenshots because we don't give a sh*t!".

• Official General, RoadRunner71, mariana_dm1989 and 2 others like this

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:42 PM Edited by ShinobiFixer, 09 March 2014 - 06:43 PM.

I'm more of a desert person than a wilderness fan, plus this is supposed to be Southern San Andreas.  There is more desert than wilderness, after all Los Angeles itself is a desert.  The desert should have been vast, it would have had that "spiritual" feeling of finding yourself.  A feeling of having to survive the harsh environment, plus it would have been better for off-roading except there are just too many roads.

The map is just poorly done.

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:12 AM

Lets also keep in mind that the game can and did change over the course of development time. For all we know, Paleto Forest could have initially been much more dense. But due to framerate/pop in issues, they had to remove alot of the trees. Which is pretty evident when comparing earlier shots of the game to the final product, it's pretty clear that they had to remove lots of trees and other small details to make sure the game was running as well as they wanted it to. Personally I'm surprised the game runs as well as it does considering how much you can have going on at once. I have yet to see any noticeable drops in framerate. We should be glad that they gave us as many varied environments as they did, even if they might not be as perfect as we might like. Just my two cents on the subject.

You're partially right
Partially because those beautiful forest screenshots were probably taken from a PC/ next gen version

Despite them being confirmed as taken from a PS3, like the trailers?

The trees were removed, to make things run better. Too many objects on screen would have punished the consoles, certainly in motion. Popping a camera into the world when there's nothing else going on wouldn't have been affected by performance. 

Whilst I would have loved a denser forest, I'm happier that the game runs smoothly on my playstation.

Was it Rockstar that "confirmed" they were taken from a PS3? Rockstar has the ability and advantage of lying. Just like every other human being.

Remember when they said LA Noire wouldn't be coming to PC? That was fun. 

Oh, and when they expressed fascination with how well GTA IV ran on PC, that it performed "beautifully"? That was a riot, as well. 

These are all PC-oriented issues, of course. And I'm sure I'll get shat on for coming in here with my scorned PC pride and ruining the fun. 

But hey, the simple point I'm making is just the fact that there is a possibility that Rockstar lied about those screenshots. Just a thought. An "opinion". If that saves me from the flame. 

If R* lies to you so much, why support them? I mean if you have no trust in what a company says, then why even do business with that company?

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:12 AM

Same for the desert, I just don't feel alone with all the activity going on around.  R* is losing it, they make retarded decisions.

Exactly. So many STUPID decisions. Makes me wonder what happened to the old team that designed old san andreas....

Desert could have been better like SA's, with ghost towns, creepy things and stuff, but I care more for the woods, I loved exploring those areas on SA, they felt big, creepy and well made. The problem with the woods in V is that there are very few trees and a lot of roads, filling those areas with car noises and giving an urban feel to it. Some say it's console limitation or FPS, but when I see RDR's Tall Trees area I really doubt it, RDR is almost as big as GTA V, IMO they were just too lazy to put the trees back in there again while finishing.

Mountains are a major waste of space, and there's absolutely NOTHING interesting to do there, you can't climb on foot because your character will fall every time, those areas would have been perfect for a proper woods area, but no, "Let's put some boring ass mountains to fill the rest of the map and delete most of the vegetation in the areas we showed to our fans on official screenshots because we don't give a sh*t!".

Evidence of rockstar's laziness is all over the place...............

I agree about the mountains. Rocstar could have removed that big turd josiah mountain, and given us a real forest.

• SCOOBASTEEB, ShinobiFixer and Voggs like this

DaveGrimes96
  • DaveGrimes96

Oh my bad, mister Gold Card!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

they should have added the grizzly bear into the forest, way may more deadly than an mountain lion

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

My opinion:

Real world Forest:

bosque.jpg

GTA V style "Forest":

600x6001321813561_ISA_Chile_Autopista_de

Real Life Desert:

arizona_desert-1218.jpg

GTA V style "Desert":

f5132104730061525291948.jpg

• universetwisters, coach_wargo, 2281 and 6 others like this

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

My opinion:

Real world Forest:

bosque.jpg

GTA V style "Forest":

Real Life Desert:

arizona_desert-1218.jpg

GTA V style "Desert":

Exactly

they should have added the grizzly bear into the forest, way may more deadly than an mountain lion

It is kind of weird how the only deadly animals on land are mountain lions and dogs. Even the coyotes are harmless. They are like kittens. I think rockstar knows themselves that they gave us a sh*t forest, hence why they excluded bears, as they know that bears won't live in a tiny strip of trees.(paleto forest)

• theGTAking101 and chaosbug45 like this

SingularSoul
  • SingularSoul

"Danger zonnnne".

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:50 PM

My opinion:

Real world Forest:

bosque.jpg

GTA V style "Forest":

Real Life Desert:

arizona_desert-1218.jpg

GTA V style "Desert":

Fellow Forum users; THIS.

• theGTAking101 and T-dog like this

TheGTAone
  • TheGTAone

Piβwasser Founder

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:52 AM

What happened to this....

official-screenshot-franklin-on-a-quad.j

official-screenshot-parachute-ride-along

• DaRkL3AD3R, Scaglietti, mariana_dm1989 and 2 others like this

Voggs
  • Voggs

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:07 AM Edited by Voggens, 11 March 2014 - 01:08 AM.

The shot that hurts the most... what. happened. to THIS!

gta-5-trailer-1-hikers-making-the-climb.

This place in the final game is a total garbage, it's just a half empty mountain compared to this beautiful background... since day one that I imagined myself playing and messing around in those forests... the only thing in this picture that still remains in the game is that tree trunk on the ground at the left. We don't know if that place was a full forest area but in the final game there's a highway between the hikers and Mount Chiliad, and with all the car noises it losts the feeling of being in the nature anyway.

• theGTAking101, DaRkL3AD3R, SCOOBASTEEB and 5 others like this

T-dog
  • T-dog

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:34 AM Edited by T-dog, 11 March 2014 - 01:36 AM.

This place in the final game is a total garbage, it's just a half empty mountain compared to this beautiful background... since day one that I imagined myself playing and messing around in those forests... the only thing in this picture that still remains in the game is that tree trunk on the ground at the left. We don't know if that place was a full forest area but in the final game there's a highway between the hikers and Mount Chiliad, and with all the car noises it losts the feeling of being in the nature anyway.

To be honest Voggens, I think the reason that Los santos and Blaine county look better in the trailers are because of the delay. Now most would think that R* would make the game better with a couple more months,
but I strongly believe that they actually removed some features and elements from the game to make the it run more smoothly. Hell, if you watch the first and second trailer very closely, you can tell they altered the missions and the physical appearances of the characters as well. But then again, this is just what I think.
  • Voggs likes this

Voggs
  • Voggs

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:58 AM

To be honest Voggens, I think the reason that Los santos and Blaine county look better in the trailers are because of the delay. Now most would think that R* would make the game better with a couple more months,

but I strongly believe that they actually removed some features and elements from the game to make the it run more smoothly. Hell, if you watch the first and second trailer very closely, you can tell they altered the missions and the physical appearances of the characters as well. But then again, this is just what I think.

Yeah, I gave it a thought as well, the new designs started to appear on the Character Trailers, wich were released after the delay, and in the Gameplay Trailer they show Raton Canyon with less trees than past screenshots.

Found a comparison:

GTA-5-Comparison.jpg

I gotta say, that this is not very noticeable while playing, I didn't noticed the lack of trees at first, but when it comes to comparisons...

Maybe the game didn't worked well while roaming those areas with all those trees. I'm sure that if a PC version is coming, modders will do a better job than R* with the vegetation problems.

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

This picture depresses me so much. Rockstar basically changed everything and made the mountains some plain, large lumps of poo.

• theGTAking101, DaRkL3AD3R, _Kindled_ and 3 others like this

mariana_dm1989
  • mariana_dm1989

Mari

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:42 AM

Yeah, I gave it a thought as well, the new designs started to appear on the Character Trailers, wich were released after the delay, and in the Gameplay Trailer they show Raton Canyon with less trees than past screenshots.

Found a comparison:

GTA-5-Comparison.jpg

I gotta say, that this is not very noticeable while playing, I didn't noticed the lack of trees at first, but when it comes to comparisons...

Maybe the game didn't worked well while roaming those areas with all those trees. I'm sure that if a PC version is coming, modders will do a better job than R* with the vegetation problems.

Found a comparison:

GTA-5-Comparison.jpg

Found a comparison:

GTA-5-Comparison.jpg

Good comparison. It is quite obvious that rockstar did have problems with the console limitations, even though one of the housers said that there were no limitations. Either they were lying, or they preferred to give us a game with dull countryside areas lacking vegetation. I'd go with the former.

What happened to this....

official-screenshot-franklin-on-a-quad.j

official-screenshot-parachute-ride-along

The difference between a dull countryside and a beautiful, interesting one is merely the amount of trees......such a shame.....

• theGTAking101 likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:59 AM

About that Dan Houser quote saying they didn't face any limitations on the old consoles...

Of course that's a lie. Just like the pre-release screenshots that do not represent the final quality of the game in a negative way. ANY piece of hardware is limiting the project because there is always better performing parts that can do better. And consoles that are nearly 10 years old? IMMENSELY limiting compared to today's hardware.

• _Kindled_ likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2016
    Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:03 AM

It's still here, it's near the Truck Stop along the Great Ocean High Highway.

3ba7.jpg

As for the image voggens posted: It really isn't that bad in reality.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Paleto forest is still a good looking place. Although the place does look better in the trailers... ;)

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:03 PM Edited by SouthLand, 11 March 2014 - 12:05 PM.

I think they should have added a small bikepark with ramps and jumps just like they did in GTA SA at the bottom of Mount Chillad. Also, The Motocross Racetrack sucks a lot, it looks unfinished and sometimes while driving it looks confusing.

Another thing i want to mention;

The only "proper" place where you can "Offroad" is near the river in Military base since it's all muddy but still, you car doesn't get properly dirty and you don't get stuck at all.

So i decided to take a nice Trip, I customized a Benefactor Dubsta with off road wheels, Snorkel, and all the things needed for off roading. This is the route i took (Always avoiding driving on tarmac) :

fcdaf06e98af2c650d3ef79da835596co.png

It was extremly easy to come across the whole map going under what it look like impossible areas to drive through and i had no problems at all. Never felt stuck or in this situation in the whole route:

Illegal_off_roading_in_Harwood_Dale_Fore

Voggs
  • Voggs

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

@Raavi Yep, I know that at least the place is still in the game, doing some research I found the exact location. They changed the type of trees too, at least they didn't left the place without trees but compared to Trailer 1... it was too beatiful to be real. Above the tree trunk they put an old ugly tree.

There's a place in Raton Canyon that looks really great on Final game, at night it's quite an interesting place for a "Bigfoot type of hunt". (Sorry for quality)

f-Frank_Raton_Cany531f48640015b654.jpg

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Welsh Boy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Yes the forest is nice but it's even nicer to drive through beauty than to not see it at all.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

When I saw that clip from the trailer, I thought that was in a remote and isolated area in a forest.  I was disappointed when it turned out to be this:

0_0.jpg

You turn around and see this:

0_0.jpg

Totally misleading.

• I<3GTAV, theGTAking101, mariana_dm1989 and 3 others like this

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, I thought the forest was pretty disappointing. You couldn't feel lost at all, considering you could either see the road, railroad or sawmill at all times. I like the desert, though, seems very much like real life Southern California.

freedom
  • freedom

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:50 PM

I am kind of at a loss as to why some people expected emense expanses of forest & desert. Not to mention how ridiclously childish some people act about it.. as if more trees would have stopped anyone complaining about the game or berating Rockstar.

San Andreas did not have any thing better. The scale of such geographical topography has always been small in GTA & in most open world games, specifically those that are hand built.

The pictures posted by SouthLand are ridiclous comparisons based on ridiclous expectations.

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:14 PM Edited by Emmi, 11 March 2014 - 09:31 PM.

This picture and scene from Trailer #1 still makes me shed tears for hours. What did R* do to this place and awesome looking countryside, forest, mountain. This looks so huge and from the moment I saw this scene in the Trailer #1 I couldn't wait to explore this part of the map. Sadly R* never released other screens or videos showing this part in all the upcoming Trailers and Screenshots leading up to the release of the game. This made me already worried that sth dramatically changed to this part of the map. When I first saw this I was like, wow, wow wow wow wow! AMAZING, that's gonna be the BEST GTA EVER! I can't wait to spend hours in the woods, on this mountain hours and hours just exploring whats to do there and what is on the other side of this massive mountain, etc. etc. I was already speculating how much time it would take to walk up there and imagined it could take a few hours with some breaks to enjoy the views in between. Also I said to myself, I believe there'll be campers all around in the woods, campfires, sitting to people and listening to them at night when it's dark and you can only see thousands of trees and massive mountains around you, no sign from a city skyline or lights or a town, just you, a campfire and the trees, their shadows from the moonlight respectively. I was excited to explore rocks in this mountain, secret paths, specific mountain bike trails where NPC's would do mountain biking. I imagined myself being a small point on the top line of this mountainrange and looking down this massive mountain being lost, still not seeing any city because of the clouds hiding it, etc. I thought there could be little houses which I could eventually rent to spend the night in there and continue my walk in the morning hours all through the next day. No car sounds, no streets, just birds singing and flying around, other animals like bears, lots of trees, people talking and wandering around, restaurants to eat sth. This picture made me think about all this in the final game, it turned out being a block of nothing. I feel so sad because of this. The whole map is structured pretty bad and the countryside is basically good for nothing. The Trailer #1 will ever come to my mind first when reading GTAV or talking about the game. Trailer #1 is what is left for me from GTAV, the best promises were in there, the best scene was in there (see picture above). I stopped playing GTAV. All that's left is this picture! R* never make this mistake again! NEVER!

• Choco Taco, omawnakw, mariana_dm1989 and 2 others like this

TyphoonJames
  • TyphoonJames

LSPD - Rooftop Bastard

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

I think that was a massive Trailer 1 highlight for many. I too imagined exploring the (then) dense forested areas. It's a shame it never saw fruition.

• NumaYay likes this

coach_wargo
  • coach_wargo

D1rty Rummy

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Snapmatic [Vehicle] 2013

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

It's still here, it's near the Truck Stop along the Great Ocean High Highway.

3ba7.jpg

The loggers must have been at work between trailer 1 and the game release.

• Hx1349, Choco Taco, Agni and 3 others like this

Voggs
  • Voggs

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:30 PM Edited by Voggens, 11 March 2014 - 09:31 PM.

I am kind of at a loss as to why some people expected emense expanses of forest & desert. Not to mention how ridiclously childish some people act about it.. as if more trees would have stopped anyone complaining about the game or berating Rockstar.

San Andreas did not have any thing better. The scale of such geographical topography has always been small in GTA & in most open world games, specifically those that are hand built.

The pictures posted by SouthLand are ridiclous comparisons based on ridiclous expectations.

The problem itself is not that "they removed the trees". The problem is that they removed what they SHOWED to us on trailers, that can be called as false advertising, and that is worth complaining. Although R* did this before with IV's fingerless gloves and I'm sure there's a lot more to come. Thanks to GTA V I'm kinda prepared to resist the hype of another GTA.

SA did have better rural areas, you could really feel something creepy while walking alone in Shady Creeks, Back O' Beyond and The Panopticon. GTA V's countryside is full of empty mountains.

• Official General, Choco Taco, _Kindled_ and 1 other like this

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

The problem itself is not that "they removed the trees". The problem is that they removed what they SHOWED to us on trailers, that can be called as false advertising, and that is worth complaining. Although R* did this before with IV's fingerless gloves and I'm sure there's a lot more to come. Thanks to GTA V I'm kinda prepared to resist the hype of another GTA.

SA did have better rural areas, you could really feel something creepy while walking alone in Shady Creeks, Back O' Beyond and The Panopticon. GTA V's countryside is full of empty mountains.

I can only agree with that. Maybe you got some spare time to read my post above.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:33 PM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 11 March 2014 - 09:34 PM.

I'm pretty sure as long as R* can prove that what they showed was gonna be in the game, but the cut, then they're fine.

This is just going off technical thinking, though. I may or may not be wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users