Improvement over ANY Renderware game? Hell no.
Explain this in depth, because it sounds like complete bullcrap to me.
Well, I said it multiple times before, so please excuse the bullet list (also I'm super sleepy, so please likewise excuse the spelling mistakes). I'll try and remember things that annoyed me, but it is not a complete list of course:
- horrible, horrible boat-like physics (but nice collision models)
- horrible engine sounds that sound like chainsaws
- very poor range of cars. No retro cars, no "special" cars like Harvester or Tractor
- no planes
- no jetpack
- no police bribes
- no paramedic and firefighter missions. Almost no side missions that existed in any of the previous games.
- no traditional police missions
- poor radio selection - chat station was also poor
- unrealistic and annoying grey/orange graphics. Not grey like GTA 3 and orange like SA, but grey and orange that annoy you and make the game world miserable
- very slow menu option switching, long loading
- very, very slow death. The stupid fade into black and white, and then black, the pan out animation - and it can't be skipped
- flying through windscreen from any small bump. Wear the bloody seatbelt, Niko!
- only one city without countryside
- prison extremely difficult to enter to explore
- only 3 safehouses, inability to buy more
- bowling with the kazeen
- black and white radar
- Niko's unhealthy obsession with revenge. I blame poor writing.
- no diving
- very slow Niko's animation: running up and down the stairs, turning on the spot or making a U-turn. For someone who gets so much exercise that much he's movements are not that great.
- poor radio. Chat stations are complete failures, music selection is a bit better than GTA 4, but mainly due to the number of stations. The overall percentage of good songs is about the same.
- Again, lack of all traditional side missions
- Again, lack of all traditional pick ups
- No jetpack
- Army impossible to enter and explore even as an animal
- need for a constant internet connection to be able to launch the game
- City too monotonous (LC in GTA 4 offered better variety of different areas; LS looks all the same)
- Countryside underused. No big forests, no myths - or, rather, no basis for them due to the lack of wilderness
- map open from beginning
- too much attention to the phone. I want to only be able to pick up phone calls.
- characters all have their faults. None of them are as likable as any of the Renderware protagonists
- ONLINE and having to download EVERY up-date for it even if I don't play it
- very long loading times
- again, only 1 safe house
- too many fancy features: health regeneration, weapons wheel
- menu, again, too slow and complex to navigate. When I press escape I want to see the menu, not the stupid fade out-fade in animation.
- black and white radar
- inability to easily check time and money
- cars don't blow up when overturned
- cars flip back when overturned
- too many damn wild beasts that kill you instantaneously
- too many detailed hills - you can't just drive your 4x4 through the forest. Because eithere there is no forest, or because the terrain requires you to maneuver between the imperfections.
I understand that the things I listed aren't necessarily that vital or liked by the fans, but dropping them all of a sudden looks like a big step back.
Don't get me wrong, GTA 4 has it's moment which I loved; GTA 5 is a game I enjoy and like. But GTA 4 is a step back in every direction compared to any of the previous games, I can't even say that the graphics are better, because they are not. They are annoyingly grey and blurry. GTA 5 is an average, mediocre game that lacks too many of predecessors' features to be considered worthy of a GTA title (but it is a HUGE improvement over GTA 4 with most of the features fixed or improved). It would be fine if it was called something else, but when you have the fantastic worlds of 3, VC and SA, each one a huge leap from the previous one, GTA 5 really scores somewhere around VC - despite having a vastly bigger number of developers, better technology and 10+ years between the release dates.