NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

So, you all might think 'oh, here's NTA again, with his announcements for projects that have no work done and are never going to be finished', and that might be true, but this could possibly be my biggest modification yet in the GTA environment.

Anyway, let's get started: CitizenIV is a name that has first seen its use in 2009, for a port of the old Citizen SP mission framework to IV. It was not much, and in fact is completely unrelated to this project, which first came into being around 6-7 months ago as a theory on how IV's netcode with some added scripts could be used to create a dynamic and persistent gameplay environment across game sessions, with dynamic missions allowing multiple players to join in and whatnot.

To be fully usable, it needed to be implemented on top of a XLive-free IV game, therefore work started on implementing the code needed for multiplayer on top of xliveless. It failed to work for a fairly long time, was abandoned for a month at a time with work resuming on an attempt later, and then still didn't work, and so on, and so on.

In the meantime the death of the GfWL service got 'accidentally' announced, and GTA:Online got announced (which happened to appear a lot like the concept I had invented a bit before :) ), and I still didn't get anything working.

Until a few weeks ago.

Now, I've been making a lot of progress on a separate scripting runtime using LuaJIT and an updated version of the old open source version of Aru's script hook, and an implementation of basic networking scripts on that platform - and a framework for matchmaking, mission session creation and soon™ an initial mission type that I'll place around the map (been wasting a lot of time messing around with a few contacts of mine in MP as some of them rediscovered IV a bit due to my constant nagging to test with >2 players, as an early bug only allowed 2 players to join a session; and seeing as I only have two computers capable of running IV at all it's a bit hard to test such locally :) )...

... as most that is done now is a lot of core plumbing, I don't really have much to show again, but I will keep you updated with progress on this amazing concept in the future.

• GamerShotgun, gamerzworld, Frank.s and 13 others like this

Mega.
  • Mega.

Part Time Cannibal, Part Time Businessman

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

Sounds great, but About GFWL's death: most companies are making the games Steamworks, such as Bioshock, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Dead Rising 2(conversion to Steamworks in progress) and I'll assume that Rockstar will either make IV/EFLC Social Club or Steamworks.

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:19 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 23 December 2013 - 08:21 PM.

most companies are making the games Steamworks, such as Bioshock, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Dead Rising 2(conversion to Steamworks in progress) and I'll assume that Rockstar will either make IV/EFLC Social Club or Steamworks.

my personal assumption on that topic is that R* will just go 'screw you, play V instead', as V will most definitely be out by July and I'm uncertain if the SC API has proper NAT traversal (is Max Payne 3 still 'properly' P2P?).

fun note: as a placeholder right now for NAT traversal I'm using the SteamNetworking API under TF2's appID, intending to make my own though as requiring 2 network platforms will be weird

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:32 PM Edited by zerofreeze, 23 December 2013 - 08:36 PM.

Yeah back in business, I already played a small portion of your work and already like it.

Arrivance
  • Arrivance

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

Have a played a bit of this project, can confirm that it's certainly starting to have some shape. 

demynnfire
  • demynnfire

GALAX_user

• Members
  • Hungary

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Did play some with the others. It is an awesome concept as of yet, and can't wait for it to be released!

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Here's my contribution for this project :)

5xx.png

• UltraGizmo64 and 1987_EC like this

1987_EC
  • 1987_EC

PC gamer

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

Here's my contribution for this project :)

5xx.png

nice!

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:17 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 29 December 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#meeh

don't mind the lack of player names or blips, that's just me disabling them as a test of some functions

also note the playing of EFLC audio in base IV if EFLC is installed

• Platinum Card, Zer0w5, Silent and 1 other like this

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

Sure is fun in CITIV, it will be more fun with jobs in the future though :D

butonu
  • butonu

Only the dead have seen the end of the war.

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

Where can I get this? It looks pretty darn awesome! Good job guys! :D

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:15 AM

Looks good. Does this mean that sync is exactly the same as it was when we were using GfWL? 

Also, are there going to be dedicated servers? BTW, the first thing after getting jobs implemented is some sort of content creator. Now that would be awesome. :p

I hope cheat/mod prevention is a bulletpoint on your development list too, as GTA Online is literally becoming a clusterf*ck.

Keep up the good work!:)

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:24 AM Edited by NTAuthority, 30 December 2013 - 05:25 AM.

Ah, finally, a response with questions!

Looks good. Does this mean that sync is exactly the same as it was when we were using GfWL?

Yes. It's somewhat glitchy, of course, but it does include full AI capability due to the way R* designed it.

Also, are there going to be dedicated servers? BTW, the first thing after getting jobs implemented is some sort of content creator. Now that would be awesome. :p

No dedicated servers as R*'s netcode is explicitly peer-to-peer, however I am thinking up ways for people to run custom scripts on top of my scripting/matchmaking platform - haven't come up with a really good compromise yet though :)

A content creator is obviously planned, although matching R*'s will probably be hard... especially if one'd mess with the ability to create objectives similar to the SA DYOM modification, but from a 'proper' user interface.

I hope cheat/mod prevention is a bulletpoint on your development list too, as GTA Online is literally becoming a clusterf*ck.

I've worked on a large multiplayer modification for another game series before, and managed to think up quite some ways to mess with cheaters... also by adding actual simple things like disallowing sudden increases of money/experience by millions (I can't imagine big developers don't even bother with those checks, really! :D

Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks. :)

Anyway, as the last thing I did was the player list, and I felt like I had to one-up GTA:O early on to set the pace, here's avatars (Gravatar/Identicon based on the platform account on the Terminal/NPx authentication backend):

nobilitates.png
  • PacketOVerload_x64Bit, avail and Arrivance like this

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

That's awesome and thanks for the fast reply. :) 

With custom scripts, I can deffo say that this will be way better than GTA O right now. An inventory script is a MUST.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

Bring the Pain

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

Looks great. The best part is it won't go the way of alteriwnet/fourdeltaone. *knocks on wood*

Dumb question probably, but I want to make sure I read this right.

a theory on how IV's netcode with some added scripts could be used to create a dynamic and persistent gameplay environment across game sessions, with dynamic missions allowing multiple players to join in and whatnot.

When doing missions, you won't be put into a separate lobby away from those in freeroam ala GTA Online right? If so, that's going to make things a lot more interesting.

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:17 AM Edited by Zer0w5, 01 January 2014 - 11:18 AM.

that would be really cool yeah

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:04 AM Edited by NTAuthority, 04 January 2014 - 02:06 AM.

When doing missions, you won't be put into a separate lobby away from those in freeroam ala GTA Online right? If so, that's going to make things a lot more interesting.

Yes, a number of less 'complex' missions could easily be implemented like that... I might have to mess with the 'teams' system in order to prevent people killing job players a bit too often :)

Also, worked on some more random features:

disconnective.png
alapa.png
piskun.png

(don't mind that bit of remnant Y, it'll go away)
  • lpgunit, Mr. Jago, Vice City Crockett and 4 others like this

Rented
  • Rented

GTA Vet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

very nice work NTA, did you get a chance to read my PM?

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:47 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 05 February 2014 - 10:47 PM.

soon™:
fiefdom.png
  • Platinum Card, GamerShotgun, Zer0w5 and 5 others like this

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

That's some great progress, can't wait to play it ;)

GamerShotgun
  • GamerShotgun

The main protagonist.

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

That's some awesome progress there mate. :)

I hope when this'll have a public release, I'll already have my new PC. :p

Vice City Crockett
  • Vice City Crockett

Vice Squad

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

Yes, a number of less 'complex' missions could easily be implemented like that... I might have to mess with the 'teams' system in order to prevent people killing job players a bit too often :)

Also, worked on some more random features:

Spoiler

(don't mind that bit of remnant Y, it'll go away)

Wow, could it be? Real dynamic plates in Liberty City?!?!

Would that mod be released individually for single-player gameplay, too? :D

Really glad I stumbled upon this topic now. :p

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

Might end up releasing that as a standalone modification too, yes.

Anyway, been working on some more randomly random stuff:

inisled.png
  • GamerShotgun, EdyTheViper, Silent and 4 others like this

avail
  • avail

POTATOES. Lots and lots of friggen potatoes!

• Members

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Really neat! WIll we be able to see some sort of stats and/or achievements on that UI or was it just you messing around to see the possibilities?

Zer0w5
  • Zer0w5

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

Seeing how the social club is intergrated in IV is already a huge step forward.

Vice City Crockett
  • Vice City Crockett

Vice Squad

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:57 AM

Might end up releasing that as a standalone modification too, yes.

Anyway, been working on some more randomly random stuff:

Wow, great! Can't wait to hear more about that!

Hopefully a release will come along soon. :p

Also, great work on this mod itself. I'm really liking the way it's coming along!

BlackScout
  • BlackScout

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

So, any news about the mod?

• TheHurtmaster likes this

Arrivance
  • Arrivance

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

From what I know, progress is being made, with some changes from the original idea. It's still alive for sure. 

NTAuthority
  • NTAuthority

member_title

• The Yardies
  • European-Union

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:42 PM Edited by NTAuthority, 24 March 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Nothing too major, been kind of sidetracked from the original primary GTAO objective and worked on redoing half of the mod's systems to build a new modification that will be announced sometime after I get some work done on my V map conversion (and then there's the work on that conversion which has taken up the past 18-ish days)...

... rest assured, it'll be great though, just a bit more modding-friendly than the original core was intended to be :)

• Frank.s, Silent, buzzbass and 3 others like this

MihaiB
  • MihaiB

Player Hater

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hello, are you still working on this mod? It looks really great and I can't wait for it! Will you release an alpha / a beta CitizenIV first? 

Thanks!

P.S. : Sorry for my english. I'm romanian.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users