Quantcast

» «
Photo

iThread

1,712 replies to this topic
stretch.
  • stretch.

30% of the time, we deliver all the time!

• Members

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

After 30 or so attempts to install OSX86 I've reached a proverbial brick wall, which more seasoned mac users have told me may be caused by my sata hard drive.

brilliant.

So sadly, the challenge of installing mac on an AMD 4600+ based pc is at an end.

Until I get a job that is =D

I'm still gonna look into perhaps getting a cheap mac, maybe an old Mac Pro or the cute G4.

Superfly.
  • Superfly.

Donkey Smash

• Members

Posted 02 August 2007 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (iamdigitalman @ Jul 27 2007, 00:31)
did the yo-yo adapters for the clamshess have the light? I have 4 of them, and none of them light up. Yeah, they have bigger jacks.

No, I believe neither version of the yo-yo adapters had the light. On the Clamshells, there was no need for it. I'm pretty sure it was first implemented in the white power brick.

Sauron
  • Sauron

chillin' like a mega villain

• The Precinct

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

I wish Leopard would hurry up and be released so I can get my MacBook >>:(

JayC
  • JayC

WWJCD

• Feroci

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

Just buy a macbook and download Leopard when it comes out. Or download a beta version now.

Everyone needs macs.

stretch.
  • stretch.

30% of the time, we deliver all the time!

• Members

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Just managed to snag myself a job =] oh yersh, I'm skilled tounge.gif

Even thought I start september 10th, it'll mean that 6 weeks after that I'll have 1000 burning a hole in my pocket!

MAC PRO HERE I COME!

Jonny_Tightlips
  • Jonny_Tightlips

Jabberwocky

• The Connection
  • Romania

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:58 AM

user posted image

Now thats just damn sexy.

paddyboy
  • paddyboy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Zak. @ Aug 9 2007, 05:58)
user posted image

Now thats just damn sexy.

That's definitely the most attractive computer I've ever seen.

My mac:

20" Intel iMac
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB (2x512MB) RAM
250GB 7200rpm HDD
ATI Radeon X1600

I also have a set of white Harman JBL Creature Speakers (2.1) that look awesome beside the white mac.

Jonny_Tightlips
  • Jonny_Tightlips

Jabberwocky

• The Connection
  • Romania

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:28 PM

I'm assuming you bought your mac recently, and are mad because you didn't wait for the newer, slimmer one?

tounge.gif me too.

paddyboy
  • paddyboy

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Zak. @ Aug 9 2007, 17:28)
I'm assuming you bought your mac recently, and are mad because you didn't wait for the newer, slimmer one?

tounge.gif me too.

Nah, I've had mine for a year. I'm happy enough. And aside from the new look, it's the same as the new ones anyway.

I am impressed by the price drop of 200 though. Macs are becoming a lot more affordable.

Jonny_Tightlips
  • Jonny_Tightlips

Jabberwocky

• The Connection
  • Romania

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (paddyboy @ Aug 10 2007, 07:44)
QUOTE (Zak. @ Aug 9 2007, 17:28)

tounge.gif me too.

Nah, I've had mine for a year. I'm happy enough. And aside from the new look, it's the same as the new ones anyway.

I am impressed by the price drop of 200 though. Macs are becoming a lot more affordable.

Aye, I got mine in April of '06. My cousin actually just got the new one yesterday. I'm gonna be over there trying that mof' out.

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:16 PM

Those new imacs are sexy as hell, I can't believe that apple reduced the price on them as well. Oh well, I'll probably never own one; I'm addicted to laptop. I want them to hurry up and release some new ipods, I've been waiting since February.

iamdigitalman
  • iamdigitalman

Going back to my roots...

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 11 August 2007 - 06:36 AM

I may get one of the new iMacs refurb when they drop in to my range ($500) which should not be long, or just get an older Intel iMac. The G3s are nice, but are really starting to show their age. Plus it would be nice to run windows and a offical version of Ubuntu natively. Does boot camp support ubuntu? what about parallels?

oh yeah, got the adapter a few days ago, very nice. The light ring works, and this one seems to have a MUCH better connection to the computer. No more twisting to get the damn thing to charge. I did, however, lose the little foot thing on the battery. Oh well. And one of the cord wrappers is broken. It's odd. It holds in place fine if it's fully retracted, or locked in to place, but you can not just flip it out like the other one, it's liable to go flying. You have to carefully guide it in to place. Oh well.

AMF 4ever. -digital wink.gif

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:04 AM

I'm not sure of the specifics, but I do know that it's a bitch to get ubuntu installed on a mac. It's entirely doable, but it's more of a pain in the ass than say windows.

http://bin-false.org/?p=17

iamdigitalman
  • iamdigitalman

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:28 PM

*bump*

w00T!! Got 1gb of RAM for my G3 tower, which maxes it out. Paid $60 shipped, which is a steal. Now all I need is a PCI ATA card, an ATI Radeon 9200 Mac Edition PCI, another larger hard drive, and a sonnet 1ghz G4 upgrade, and the machine will last me another decade. Yes, I said decade.

getting the parts of my old pb shipped off soon so I can get 512mb of RAM for the iBook to max it out. Soon, my pretty. Soon you will be able to run tiger.

Superfly.
  • Superfly.

Donkey Smash

• Members

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (iamdigitalman @ Aug 23 2007, 14:28)
getting the parts of my old pb shipped off soon so I can get 512mb of RAM for the iBook to max it out. Soon, my pretty. Soon you will be able to run tiger.

It should be possible, the only problem you might encounter is needing a DVD drive to install Tiger (although, there are other ways around this). But I don't know if they made a CD-version of it.

I got Panther running on a 333 mhz G3 iMac with 256 megs of RAM, and it ran the OS decently. It had some trouble playing videos, but still rendered pages at a tolerable level. Let me know how it turns out.

macmaniac
  • macmaniac

hmmmmmm...

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

I've got an OLD Blueberry iMac G3

iamdigitalman
  • iamdigitalman

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Superfly. @ Aug 23 2007, 15:35)
QUOTE (iamdigitalman @ Aug 23 2007, 14:28)

It should be possible, the only problem you might encounter is needing a DVD drive to install Tiger (although, there are other ways around this). But I don't know if they made a CD-version of it.

I got Panther running on a 333 mhz G3 iMac with 256 megs of RAM, and it ran the OS decently. It had some trouble playing videos, but still rendered pages at a tolerable level. Let me know how it turns out.

actually, yes there is a CD version, 4 CDs. you buy the OS on DVD, send the disc in to apple with $9.95, and they send you the CD set.

I tried getting a copy from my friend, but the first image was messed up. showed up in the Finder and all, but could not boot it. Gonna try again.

On another note, got my RAm for my B&W today. 1gb (4x256mb). before I was running 4x128mb for 512mb. It is a screamer now, boots very quickly, all apps launch faster, and web pages load faster. However, the first config I had it in caused OS X to KP a while after I logged in. I reordered them, and the system is hella stable, been running non stop for 3 hours now.

Superfly.
  • Superfly.

Donkey Smash

• Members

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (iamdigitalman @ Aug 28 2007, 00:38)
actually, yes there is a CD version, 4 CDs. you buy the OS on DVD, send the disc in to apple with $9.95, and they send you the CD set.

I tried getting a copy from my friend, but the first image was messed up. showed up in the Finder and all, but could not boot it. Gonna try again.

On another note, got my RAm for my B&W today. 1gb (4x256mb). before I was running 4x128mb for 512mb. It is a screamer now, boots very quickly, all apps launch faster, and web pages load faster. However, the first config I had it in caused OS X to KP a while after I logged in. I reordered them, and the system is hella stable, been running non stop for 3 hours now.

The B&W's are just the G3 towers, right? I know the place I work used them as Macintosh Manager servers for a period of time, and they were pretty good at that, but I have no idea how they took to OS X.

iamdigitalman
  • iamdigitalman

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:33 AM

right they are. First new world machines, firewire and all, so they take tiger. Oldest mac to do so, and handle it pretty well IMHO. running my original install of tiger from october of last year.

actually, they are an oddball. They are new world, but no firewire target disk mode, and no bootloader thing with the option key. The firewire is technically on a PCI expansion bus, as it is a module that plugs in to the motherboard, and not actually on the board. There is an edge connector for data, and a 3 pin plug with a half inch cable for power, and it all screws down to a standoff on the casing. I know this because a year ago I had to replace the motherboard in mine.

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 29 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

So apple has confirmed an event on september 5th. Judging by the design on the invitation and the rumors leading up to it, it's pretty safe to say we'll be seeing new ipods next week.

user posted image

Oh, and "The beat goes on" is a reference to the beatles, so we'll probably be seeing their collection on itunes as well.

Lynk
  • Lynk

somebodysomewhere.

• Members

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:58 AM

Good to see a thread like this, everywhere else I go its always Mac hate everywhere.

Setup
White Macbook 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo (bought in June when they revised them)
1gb RAM (Soon to be 2gb)
120gb HDD / 250gb Western Digital MyBook External
Wireless Mighty Mouse
Wired Apple Keyboard
Griffin Elevator to keep the Macbook perched too smile.gif

I love this thing, I bought it with my first real pay when I started work and its the best thing Ive bought technology wise ever. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 23" Cinema Display and use this in desktop mode then, we'll see how the monies go.

I too am awaiting the new iPods.

Xo4
  • Xo4

The Lunatic is in My Head.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

I am considering buying a MacBook. Any Suggestions on what to get/look for?

Jonny_Tightlips
  • Jonny_Tightlips

Jabberwocky

• The Connection
  • Romania

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:29 AM

Well, first off, MacBook or Macbook Pro? Are you buying it for multimedia-related reasons/business or just as a consumer product? If it's the latter, get the Macbook. Very nice, plus cheap compared to everything else.

Superfly.
  • Superfly.

Donkey Smash

• Members

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE (Lynk @ Aug 30 2007, 20:58)
I love this thing, I bought it with my first real pay when I started work and its the best thing Ive bought technology wise ever. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on a 23" Cinema Display and use this in desktop mode then, we'll see how the monies go.

I too am awaiting the new iPods.

I had to unpack about 200 of them right before the end of summer. And doing basic repairs on them is relatively simple. Taking the hard drive out of an old 700 mhz iBook or a 1.42 was a bitch. But it's ridiculously easy to pull it out of the Macbook; you only need to remove the battery and three screws. And the screens look gorgeous, too.

Somebody I know went against the advice of holding out for the new iPods and went to the Apple Store and asked them about it, and they said they weren't going to do a model change. whatsthat.gif So now he has an 80 gig iPod video, perhaps one of the last ones that may ever be made.

Xo4
  • Xo4

The Lunatic is in My Head.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (Zak. @ Aug 30 2007, 19:29)
Well, first off, MacBook or Macbook Pro? Are you buying it for multimedia-related reasons/business or just as a consumer product? If it's the latter, get the Macbook. Very nice, plus cheap compared to everything else.

Just a Macbook. How much do they run, usually.
I remember someone (Lesfleanut?) who got one used from Apple for a good deal.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:18 AM

QUOTE (Blackout? @ Aug 30 2007, 22:11)
QUOTE (Zak. @ Aug 30 2007, 19:29)

Just a Macbook. How much do they run, usually.
I remember someone (Lesfleanut?) who got one used from Apple for a good deal.

Click MEh and worship meh.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:14 PM

Aye, this seems like the best place to put this, but does anyone here have an iPhone? I have a bunch of sh*t I'm selling after I cleaned my room, and I plan on getting one. I'm going to hack it so I can use my existing plan. Just want to know what you guys think of it.

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (BCspeed34 @ Aug 31 2007, 16:14)
Aye, this seems like the best place to put this, but does anyone here have an iPhone? I have a bunch of sh*t I'm selling after I cleaned my room, and I plan on getting one. I'm going to hack it so I can use my existing plan. Just want to know what you guys think of it.

What network are you on?

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:23 AM

AT&T but I don't want to extend my plan or pay the upped plan prices. Hack it so I can use my current SIM.

CPFC Ultra
  • CPFC Ultra

Chap

• Members

Posted 04 September 2007 - 09:33 PM

Just got a White MacBook, Core 2 Duo, 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD. f*cking in love with it!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users