Photo

Slipstreaming Should Be Optional In Races

23 replies to this topic
GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

The effects of Slipstreaming fundamentally change each race.

You can be 15 feet behind a motorcycle, while driving a truck, and you will speed up by 10+ MPH.

While Catchup is an ever active handicap, Slipstreaming accomplishes the same effect in the short term (sometimes at key points and near the finish line).

Don't get me wrong, slipstreaming is fun and it requires skill to use and counter.

However, it should be optional, for the same reason Catchup and Custom vehicles are optional; it fundamentally changes how you race, and the outcome.

DillBagnr
  • DillBagnr

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

I'd love to race without slipstream.  That way, I know exactly what place I'm going to finish at the starting lineup.

• WWWWVWWVWWWVVWWW and Spyrothedragon9972 like this

beat_savy_9
  • beat_savy_9

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

impromptu races have no slip

Zondar
  • Zondar

Puttin' on an iron shirt.......

• Members
  • Ghana

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Agreed it is fun, but I've unfairly lost and won many races due to it.

Chiraqie
  • Chiraqie

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Isnt that what turning off catching up does? im pretty sure that takes off slipstreaming.

brose_sfr
  • brose_sfr

brozilla

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

they should take out turning as well! I always lose races cuz the guy in front of me turns! NO FAIR!!

GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

For those of you who like slipstreaming, I'm simply proposing it be made OPTIONAL...meaning you would have the option to keep it on.
  • RAS_ZeroZ likes this

S-M-O-K-E
  • S-M-O-K-E

GHMC President

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:42 PM Edited by S-M-O-K-E, 22 December 2013 - 11:43 PM.

I agree it should be optional & can change the outcome of a race. I like it though. Adds to the fun for me.

I think slipstream should be active in freeroam. Cruising at 150+ MPH on the highway & no slipstream?

WTF.....
  • SUPERHEAVYDOODY likes this

Peiva's Laahdin
  • Peiva's Laahdin

🌴

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Races without collisions, please.

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

Headdogg81
  • Headdogg81

Soldier

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

Races without collisions, please.

Collisions are what make the races enjoyable IMO. Sure it can be frustrating but it makes for some good laughs. Try not to focus too much on winning and instead have fun.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

Well, it's not optional in real life. Just throwing that out there.

If they do that though, I'd like them to make gravity optional too.

SFBryan18
  • SFBryan18

NorCalMobLife

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:25 AM Edited by SFBryan18, 23 December 2013 - 12:25 AM.

Very similar to how Bullshark Testosterone should be optional in deathmatches, but it's not. It's just there, no matter what.

• RAS_ZeroZ and Spyrothedragon9972 like this

Spyrothedragon9972
  • Spyrothedragon9972

Peon

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'd love to race without slipstream.  That way, I know exactly what place I'm going to finish at the starting lineup.

dave4242
  • dave4242

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:47 AM

Without slipstreaming it would be like; Oh some prick spun me out and now its physically impossible for me to catch the leader.

GTASuspectOnFoot
  • GTASuspectOnFoot

Homie

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

OKAY THEN...KEEP IT ON JUST ALLOW IT TO BE OPTIONAL!!!!

soggyinvert
  • soggyinvert

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

Yeah no kidding agree with op, I can't stand it. I do like the prospect of slipstreaming but it's just too op. I would love for a small (realistic) amount of slipstream to exist in every game mode. But the bullsh*t in races is too much. If I've outraced a guy, I don't want some loser hanging behind me until the finishing line then overtaking with the stream.. It's very frustrating, if I've earnt a win, let me have it.

BlackAce23
  • BlackAce23

Keepin' it 100

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

Yea i agree its a cheap tactic and totally unrealistic its similar to nitrous which in glad they didnt put in the game

Fox2Quick
  • Fox2Quick

Foxmaster Flex

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

Would be great as a choice for us who make races just for drifting.

Solid Scorpion
  • Solid Scorpion

FOXHOUND-SFG

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

I hate the fact it's so unrealistic, it's more like a NOS boost.

I pride myself on being a clean racer and I can't count the number of times this has thrown me into the back of someone.

dlow
  • dlow

Just an Old Man

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

I hate loosing a race right at the end because someone slip streamed me, .....but i dont think it is over powered if all vehicles are similar in size, the problem i see with racing in the game in general is probably in the programing... i have been in off road races and caught the slip stream from a player on a dirtbike while i was in a sandking ...... this should not be possible......now the dirt bike would be able to catch mine if we were reversed, because the hole i am punching in the wind with a sandking is bigger than the bike

I think rockstar tried to put so much into the game, racing, death matchs, LTS, golf, tennis, darts, arm wrestling and the list goes on ........that some things were just overlooked like how slip streaming would should work or maybe it was going to make the game to big to publish

I mean it is fun to try and do an off road race in the adder, but we all know that once it leaves the pavement  it should be a turd .....and off road vehicles should suffer more on the pavement

Armour should greatly slow down a vehicle, Bullet proof tires should kill traction, custom tires should give traction, engine upgrades should do more than increase acceleration, it should also boost top speed, but i have never saw the top speed indicator move in the slightest while doing upgrades

GTA5 is a fun game, i enjoy playing it, and it has tons to offer, but when it comes to calling it a racing game or class it any genre    it would fall short  

Spiffy McNugget
  • Spiffy McNugget

Titled Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I hate it, if only there was an option to turn it off, I spent allot of time racing in IV and I loved it. I was not a fan of midnight club and slipstreams. How hard is it to give us options. Its like R* are trying to force us to play the game a certain way.

LuapYllier
  • LuapYllier

Driver

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

Slipstreaming is a good effect in most respects. I think its effect should be cut about in half and the area of effect should be drastically minimized when going through a corner. My biggest problem with it is how it converts any car into an ice cube on glass when it suddenly decides to grab you in a corner and no amount of braking will stop the enevitable crash.

It should very much be an optional setting, but default to on.

dlow
  • dlow

Just an Old Man

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

Slipstreaming is a good effect in most respects. I think its effect should be cut about in half and the area of effect should be drastically minimized when going through a corner. My biggest problem with it is how it converts any car into an ice cube on glass when it suddenly decides to grab you in a corner and no amount of braking will stop the enevitable crash.

It should very much be an optional setting, but default to on.

I agree with with the ice cube effect, .....when in fact the ice cube effect should be felt by the car in front as air is being removed from the rear end, but again that is another racing detail either programed ass backwards or left out completely

Kfrad
  • Kfrad

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:27 PM Edited by Kfrad, 24 December 2013 - 02:28 PM.

I like racing in this game. If I had the option to turn slip streaming off, I would love it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users