DayZ standalone

552 replies to this topic
OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:56 AM

By the looks of it they can be found in industrial areas most commonly supposedly. I think I have found some previously but not sure if my current character has any on him but I have at least seen them.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

I've found sticks in barns and stuff also.

Daz, Oysterbarron, shoot me a steam add: seblasto

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:44 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 15 February 2014 - 07:30 PM.

I've sent you an invite. Hopefully we can meet up at somepoint. However my sense of direction is normally good but with the new additions to the map I feel lost at the moment. I know I'm in a small town and am in need of a blood transfusion my screen has been black and white for days now. I read you can regain blood every 3 seconds or so by eating food but I think I must have lost a lot of blood as it hasn't changed anything even after eating half my inventory of food!

Edit: Blood not required anymore! Looks like eating food until your inventory says energized has boosted my blood up this eve. so iv'e got some color back in my cheeks!

My current character! just found some new worn trousers with 6 slots so yours are safe for now daz ;)
nkCIiY9.jpg

Beauty shot!
yazqK3S.jpg

Managed to find the name of the town i'm in!
r8FPtAA.jpg

witch is located here!
eaqz0E8.jpg

on this map : http://www.dayztv.co...us-high-res.jpg

Decide to test out fraps hadn't seen anyone in that part of town for days login for 4 mins have a close encounter but my stealth and barrel roll prevailed.

More pics of my character at the moment i found awesome hat!

I1jwZkQ.jpg

GVBIcVb.jpg

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:16 AM Edited by OurJud, 16 February 2014 - 04:23 AM.

I so wish I had a gaming PC good enough to run this. Sadly I don't.

My pc is a sh*tty packard bell from 2009, all I did was throw in a cheap £100 gfx card, I believe it's the 7750 series 1GB. Added a new power unit as mine was off the shelf sh*te. But that worked for a while till I didn't know why my pc kept turning itself off, turns out it was only 250watt. So I got a 650 which was around £60-70 or so. Really not much when it transforms your pc to play pretty much anything decently optimized for anything on current gen.

Cheers. Not as much as I thought, but I'm absolutely brassic so it's still out of the question.

How big is the map in this game, say compared to GTA V's ?

You simply can't compare. There's no way to compare these games sizewise. The experience is entirely different so there's no point in comparing the two 'map sizes'.

All I can say it's pretty f*cking huge. Check one of the many Chernaus/DayZ maps and I can tell you that 'roughly' it takes about 5 mins or more to RUN/SPRINT from Elektro to Cherno if I'm not mistaken.

Roger Bannister broke the four-minute mile in 1954, so if you're running/sprinting from Elektro to Cherno that would make the distance about 1.2 miles?

I find game worlds an odd thing... it's like there's something not quite right scale wise, and you seem to be able to cover huge distances in a fraction of the time you could in real life.

Terrato137
  • Terrato137

The One

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:42 AM

If only I had a pc that could run this ._. qq

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:34 AM Edited by oysterbarron, 16 February 2014 - 11:11 AM.

Just out of interest Is the hive down this morning? as i'm spawning up with a new character every time! I'm not sure there's a way to check if it's up or down? I've also paid for a server for 6 months ip is in my sig if any of you want to play!

edit : (ahh they are doing some kind of maintenance on the server)

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:57 PM

Can you turn off all the HUD in this game, including the silly icons that pop up like the one when you approach doors?

SilentMase
  • SilentMase

Knights of Badassdom Crew Leader

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

How do you know if your pc can handle it? I don't play pc games much but really want to play DayZ

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:38 AM

How do you know if your pc can handle it? I don't play pc games much but really want to play DayZ

Go here and type in DayZ: http://systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

That is a terrible site tbh, it used to say I could run CoD4 on an AMD dual core and an integrated video card with 2GB of system ram.

It'd be better to just post your specs so we can compare to the recommended system specs.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:40 PM

another Dayz phenomenon

• Davo the Assassin likes this

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:56 PM Edited by OurJud, 17 February 2014 - 03:56 PM.

Why does your character in this game hold his can of pop about two feet away from his mouth before pouring? That's just wasteful.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

You think that's bad you should see him or her eat an orange. How he manages to hold it on the opposite side of his fingers without dropping it is an act of god!
  • OurJud likes this

phunkism
  • phunkism

I'm a grill btw

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

I didnt log on Dayz in like month, did they changed anything?

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:32 PM Edited by OurJud, 17 February 2014 - 07:32 PM.

You think that's bad you should see him or her eat an orange. How he manages to hold it on the opposite side of his fingers without dropping it is an act of god!

It's a shame. When I first watched gameplay of Arma II I was blown away - still am sometimes, if they're using first-person view with headbob enabled - but this DayZ port could have been so much more and so much better.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Overall so far I'd say I'm enjoying this more than I ever did the mod. Crafting and item use is much more thought out and there's only more to come. I turned head bob off I can't stand it and as for the orange glitch I tried again this evening and my character held it correctly. You speak as if this is the final product when it's still in alpha at the moment. There's new content and thurther optimizations to come as of yet and I'm really looking forward to it.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:40 PM Edited by OurJud, 17 February 2014 - 08:43 PM.

You speak as if this is the final product when it's still in alpha at the moment.

I thought the Standalone release was the finished product?

As for the head bob, it's all down to personal preference, isn't it? I've never played the game, but when I watch gameplay footage on youtube I get a real sense that the character is moving over ground with head bob on, rather than it look like he's floating on air like it does with head bob off.

Personally I can't understand why anyone would play this in anything other than first-person, either, but if the clips are any clue I'd say 90% prefer to play in third.

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

Lol Standalone is not the finished product. I don't know if you've missed the fact that Alpha is plastered all over the page on Steam or even the website. Its an Alpha, so its full of sh*t thats unfinished right now and is pretty much a work in progress.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

I don't know if you've missed the fact that Alpha is plastered all over the page on Steam or even the website.

Well considering I don't even know what 'Steam' is or that I've never visited the website, it's a pretty safe bet I have missed all this.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:54 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 17 February 2014 - 09:09 PM.

Yeah it hasn't even entered the beta stage yet and is available on early access for a reduced price until maybe beta or retail at witch point the price will increase. I much prefer first person all though I've been using third person a bit recently. It saved my characters life yesterday. Went to the small military base and entered a 2 story building. I swear I heard someone loading there weapon but wasn't sure. I crept slightly up the stairs and turned round in third person so I could see the landing part and low and behold there was a player the with his weapon lined up on the stairs waiting for my head to pop up. Needless to say I got the fook outta there so it's a handy feature to have.

But there are servers out there that have the third person mode disabled so you're locked to first person. If I had been on a server like that I probably would've died.

Edit: steam is valves digital distribution platform on pc and ps3. Valve is the company that made half life and took on the counter strike devs.
  • OurJud likes this

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:12 PM Edited by OurJud, 17 February 2014 - 09:48 PM.

But there are servers out there that have the third person mode disabled so you're locked to first person. If I had been on a server like that I probably would've died.

That's the thing... this would be half the fun for me. I play first-person games to be immersed and I hate anything that lifts me from that. That's why I hate any kind of HUD and why I wish they'd developed an alternative to the crafting/inventory system in this game. When I'm watching someone play this game and they bring up that huge ugly menu thing to grab things from their sack or to take things they find, I stop watching because I'm lifted straight out of the game.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'm not sure exactly what other options there would be. The only way I could think of would be have it so the inventory is the inside of your backpack all rendered in game and possibly hitting the 1 - 9 keys to assign it to a quick bar while hovering over the item just without the visual bar at the bottom. But then you would have to make crafting a more visual expereince that would take away from the ease of it.

Oh and I edited the last post I meant it locked you to first person so third person isn't avaliable.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:53 PM Edited by OurJud, 17 February 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Oh and I edited the last post I meant it locked you to first person so third person isn't avaliable.

I knew what you meant :)

As for keeping the immersion stacked up, I reckon there's quite a few ways the crafting and inventory could be done. A qwerty keyboard has over 100 keys, so just assign each of the actions to one of them. I'm sure your character in this game can't do 100 different things, so it could be done intuitively instead of visually, in my opinion.

And other things, too. Like the silly icon that pops up when you approach a door... why does that need to be there?? I could be wrong, but I think most people playing this game know what doors are for and how to work them.

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

I knew what you meant :)

As for keeping the immersion stacked up, I reckon there's quite a few ways the crafting and inventory could be done. A qwerty keyboard has over 100 keys, so just assign each of the actions to one of them. I'm sure your character in this game can't do 100 different things, so it could be done intuitively instead of visually, in my opinion.

And other things, too. Like the silly icon that pops up when you approach a door... why does that need to be there?? I could be wrong, but I think most people playing this game know what doors are for and how to work them.

There's a lot of doors that can't be opened in the game. So, it would be confusing if there was no sign if a door can be opened or not.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:50 AM

I knew what you meant :)As for keeping the immersion stacked up, I reckon there's quite a few ways the crafting and inventory could be done. A qwerty keyboard has over 100 keys, so just assign each of the actions to one of them. I'm sure your character in this game can't do 100 different things, so it could be done intuitively instead of visually, in my opinion.And other things, too. Like the silly icon that pops up when you approach a door... why does that need to be there?? I could be wrong, but I think most people playing this game know what doors are for and how to work them.

I suggest you get some hands on with one of the arma game engine games. The way the engine does doors is very strange without an indicator you would spend an eternity attempting to open a door hell It's hard enough as it is allready. As for all the buttons you'd be surprised at how confusing the keys can be for new players to pick up. Some items can have upto 4 or 5 uses and without a visual prompt you'd be pretty much screwed! assign them to separate keys instead of to just right click or mouse scroll and you would just be adding to the bukkake mess that is the control scheme allready.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

I had to ditch the broken leg character, I managed to crawl and find a shirt to rip up for rags but no sticks.

But I respawned I believe I was in cherno or another major city and it was untouched, so I looted the hospital and such. Found sticks on a shelf inside a 3 story building.

Either way I have god damn epic loot, med kit, blood transfusion and testing kits galore. All kinds of crazy sh*t. TWO hacksaws, TWO weapon cleaning kits. Found a pristine fire axe straight away in a construction site. Had a cowboy hat until it glitched and I couldnt put it on my head again.

So now I am just waiting on some castle watchtower, trying to find my way to some guns. But I got some decent medical gear if you need it again.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

Don't craft a splint as I found out you can't store it in your inventory or I wasn't doing it right. If you can navigate to my town or findout the name of your town you're in then we can meet up and I can take you upto the barracks to get some hardware.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Awesome.

But yeah, I am now pretty f*cking prepared for any outcome, I even have morphine, not including whatever is in the medikit. Typical I find 3 ways to fix my legs after I respawn, but I have much better stuff now anyway. Also the trick to fill bottles worked, I had to scroll. Now I am pretty much ready to go.

I believe I may be at the lowest castle, one near electro?

I have some .45 and .357 ammo and a shotgun speed loader. A lot of other junk too. I don't want to drop it but I wouldn't mind giving it to someone. I might be able to get on to play for the weekend.

I saw a recent video, there was a rabbit running around, I didn't know they added animals in yet.

phunkism
  • phunkism

I'm a grill btw

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:33 AM

I wish i could find some friendly people, my char always die of sickness, best thing i ever looted was firefighter axe ;(

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

You're quite welcome to join us the trick is to head inland and loot the towns on the way. Bandits will camp around the shoreline as most new characters spawn up there.

Daz I haven't found a shotgun yet but I found a pistol at the barracks on sunday that takes .45 I think my rifle takes .357 I've decided I'm going to use the town i'm in ( the one in the picture I posted the other day) as my main base of operations I've only seen 3 survivors since being up there. I check the map to see If I can work out where you are.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users