Photo

DayZ standalone

636 replies to this topic
DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

I wanna pick it up when it's at least in late BETA. I hope they bring it to the next-gen consoles, too: more people playing it and easier controls, I'd buy that on day one.

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:52 PM Edited by Mockage, 08 January 2014 - 11:52 PM.

One question though, what is this whole unconsious thing about? I never played the mod neither, but it seems like it is a new thing. Do you not lose your stuff when this happens if nobody loots you, or what?

I feel that I probably wouldnt make it all that far without getting my ass owned or robbed all the time.

When you become unconscious a screen comes up indicating that you are. About two or three minutes later the text changes and it'll say "You are dead." You respawn and lose all your stuff. I'm not sure if you lose it when you're unconscious (I've never been revived/healed) but I don't see why you would.

Also, be wary if you're jumping off something. I accidentally fell of the top of a 10 foot house and died the moment I hit the ground. This game has several bugs but then again it's in an alpha stage, so don't expect much in terms of stability (it's pretty laggy, and I'm running on a high-end laptop). It does have a sort of polished feel though I would say, despite that it's an alpha. Feels more like an early beta version instead. If you're really keen about it I would actually grab it and save the 30 bucks when the final version comes out, it's worth it for the money you're dishing out.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None
  • Best Poster [Gaming] 2014

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:26 AM Edited by Daz, 09 January 2014 - 10:32 AM.

Well the thing is with games now you never actually know when a game is actually finished. A game can be released and later patched, so even for a retail release you aren't guaranteed a finished product. Now with the inclusion of early access it makes that timespan even larger.

So anyone saying " wait till it is fully released " is beyond hilarious. Would anyone ever consider Minecraft a finished product? Stuff is always ever changing and from what it was years ago is nothing like it is now.

So my opinion is that if you like what you have seen from gameplay footage, then get it as that is what I might do. Because you sure as sh*t are going to be waiting a f*cking long ass time for this to be fully finished let alone ever get onto PS4.

I am sure there must be a bunch of games already in the works looking to copy what Day Z has, and who knows by the time it is finished there may be other alternatives out there.

You aren't gaining anything by waiting, and the catch 22 is you have to be patient if you play it now with it being buggy, but you would have to be patient to choose not to buy it yet and wait. So you probably have already made your minds up already.

I plan on watching more gameplay to see if that will entice me on buying it. It is not that I don't think the game is worth it, it is more about is it good enough to make me play a PC game with a keyboard and mouse again and start using steam which I also don't like the idea of.

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:20 PM

There's Rust too, but that game looks like sh*t and is just a DayZ wannabe.

unopieceo
  • unopieceo

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Best Vehicle 2012 [HD GTA Cars]

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:32 AM

If anyones keen to play i am http://steamcommunity.com/id/zimA/  Im hanging around near elektro right now

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

Andolini

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

So I got this game, joined a random server and ran around for 30 minutes constantly being told I'm thirsty. 

Where the hell do I start? :p

Not played the mod.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:52 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 15 January 2014 - 07:56 PM.

Each town will have a well of some sort. Drink from the well about 3 or 4 times to sort out your thirst. Main thing to loot at the start is better clothes preferably ones that have 4 spaces The standard tops are crap!

On your way around try and find as much food as possible moldy food is no good leave it where you found it. The next thing on the agenda is a back pack and some form of weapon axe's seem to be quite common in my experience.

Pro tip:

Once you have found an axe and you get a zombies attention wait for the zombie to get close and just as he attacks side step and swing your axe 9 times out of ten you wont get hit by them and you can kill them no problem.

Also make sure you rip clothes up you can use them as rudimentary bandages witch are really handy if you start bleeding!

and that's pretty much it at the moment DAYZ standalone ladys and Gentleman!

1 other thing if you drop an item on the floor it may take 30 secs or so for it to turn up ingame. Don't think it's lost forever and run off!

• Daz and Kirsty like this

Xboxless
  • Xboxless

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:03 AM Edited by Xboxless, 17 January 2014 - 08:53 AM.

First three lives were total wastes. My fourth I survived for a while, but could never find enough food to get healthy.

This fifth life, however, is something else.

I finally got to jump in with my friends. As I finally found them with a fresh spawn two guys rolled up and killed one of my buddies and then proceeded to get killed. We looted their corpses and got all geared up. A lot of their stuff was ruined, but suddenly all three of us had m4's, decent backpacks and camo.

We then went around looting different places, got some better gear and then went to Balota Airfield. This is where the cool stuff happened. 

We went into one of the prison buildings, one of us guarding the door. Suddenly, somebody appeared at the door, my friend asked if any of us were outside, we didn't answer quick enough for him to shoot him. So, we closed the door and just sat, staring at the door and looking out windows trying to find where this guy went. After a while he plays the part in The Warriors, "Warriors, come out to play." It had me sh*tting my pants. lol.

After a while of just checking out windows, staring at the door, one of my friends sees him also attempting to look through one of the windows. They do a little pop-up, back and forth, shooting and the guy kind of starts running around the house. My other friend bolts out the door to get him, I run out as well and cover his back just in case their is somebody else and my friend gets him. We loot his body quickly and get the hell out of there.

It was tense! Now, from there we are making a cross-country trek to the wrecked ship.

This is what he played: 

http://steamcommunit...d=217107786#_=_

Thought of a poem based on zombies:

The mottled skin,
the throaty calls,
the soul-defining lust for flesh,
why can't my bullets do more,
to stop me from joining you,
in your deadly ranks of gore

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

I'm just going to leave this here...

• Xboxless, arsenal_fan, EyeMacHunt and 1 other like this

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

Lol that is awesome. There are some serious weirdos out there!

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

I am about to take the plunge I think.

I haven't played a proper PC only game in a long ass time.

Age of Empires > Battlefield 2 > DayZ

I think that is the timeline.

I also read a good tip is to put that battery in your flashlight to begin with. However I doubt anyone even plays on night servers, I wouldn't either so may as well bin the lot of it.

I have watched too many videos and its pretty much the only game I want right now. I hear they added a shotgun in? I haven't seen anything of it yet.

I just hope the controls aren't too annoying, hopefully I might get into some scuffles.

Though if anyone wants to take my trousers they are getting a fist to the c*nt.

• OysterBarron likes this

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

Daz: You should wait for a smoothed out release/console release. Seriously, it's still wonky as hell the controls/combat and pretty much all the interaction you do.

Not to mention Zombies being buggy as hell. Yes they're adding each week/two weeks new items/new features and new firearms. But it takes them so damn long to smooth the important gameplay out (zombies/combat/interaction).

I for one don' t really give a damn when it comes to it about all of this due to how awesome the basic concept of the game plays out. The human interaction just works perfectly (and maybe the wonkiness of the game compliments the awesomeness of it? I don't know).

I just fear you might end up hating on the game tho. Which wouldn't be fair. But anyways. That's just my thought. If you don't give a damn about certain wonkiness of controls/gameplay then f*cking go ahead man and enjoy the sh*t out of the game. Because it's totally worth it in the end :).

• Daz likes this

OurJud
  • OurJud

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

I so wish I had a gaming PC good enough to run this. Sadly I don't.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:58 PM

I am about to take the plunge I think.

I haven't played a proper PC only game in a long ass time.

Age of Empires > Battlefield 2 > DayZ

I think that is the timeline.

I also read a good tip is to put that battery in your flashlight to begin with. However I doubt anyone even plays on night servers, I wouldn't either so may as well bin the lot of it.

I have watched too many videos and its pretty much the only game I want right now. I hear they added a shotgun in? I haven't seen anything of it yet.

I just hope the controls aren't too annoying, hopefully I might get into some scuffles.

Though if anyone wants to take my trousers they are getting a fist to the c*nt.

O I'm having those trousers. .... was going to save my handcuffs for Kirsty but I really want your pants now.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:10 PM

Even if you don't want to play the game until later, it would be better to buy it now because the price is going to increase upon release and probably on beta too. Personally I think it's a bullsh*t marketing technique to do that, it's pretty f*cked up, but there you go.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

How big is the map in this game, say compared to GTA V's ?

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

You simply can't compare. There's no way to compare these games sizewise. The experience is entirely different so there's no point in comparing the two 'map sizes'.

All I can say it's pretty f*cking huge. Check one of the many Chernaus/DayZ maps and I can tell you that 'roughly' it takes about 5 mins or more to RUN/SPRINT from Elektro to Cherno if I'm not mistaken.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:29 AM

I just fear you might end up hating on the game tho.

I get where you are coming from. I understand it is in no shape finished, and I am not one of those people that would complain about that. The issue is that I am dying to play it because I just love to go in buildings and loot sh*t. I am just dying to get that feeling of going into a house and seeing an M4 or a nice jacket and mask laying there. That is what I live for, and stalking people hiding in bushes. I believe the quality of the game won't ruin my experience, only that I may get bored of it sooner than if I played it later.

But still, telling anyone to wait until its fully finished or a console release is insane. They estimate at least a year to get them into beta. I ain't waiting that long. By then there would be hundreds of other games similar that would be out that might even be better.

I appreciate the concern though.

I so wish I had a gaming PC good enough to run this. Sadly I don't.

My pc is a sh*tty packard bell from 2009, all I did was throw in a cheap £100 gfx card, I believe it's the 7750 series 1GB. Added a new power unit as mine was off the shelf sh*te. But that worked for a while till I didn't know why my pc kept turning itself off, turns out it was only 250watt. So I got a 650 which was around £60-70 or so. Really not much when it transforms your pc to play pretty much anything decently optimized for anything on current gen.

O I'm having those trousers. .... was going to save my handcuffs for Kirsty but I really want your pants now.

I would be ready to lose a bad ass character just to deny you of this you filthy piece of bum rag.

Even if you don't want to play the game until later, it would be better to buy it now because the price is going to increase upon release and probably on beta too. Personally I think it's a bullsh*t marketing technique to do that, it's pretty f*cked up, but there you go.

I agree somewhat. I feel the whole crowdfunding and early access programs are good for developers but also a scam. Because really once you can release your game in any condition and get money for it, why ever fully release it? Why rush it? It is the same with Minecraft, when would you say that game fully released? It is always being updated and is never fully finished. So I wouldn't expect any of these games to have a full release for 2-3 years. Let alone ever get on a console any time soon. However when/if that does happen, I would happily buy it on console as well.

Well there are no vehicles in yet, and you are always running and losing stamina and getting thirsty and hungry etc. I imagine it probably feels as big as the real f*cking world in that sense.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:30 AM

The prestige and respect I would gain within the dayz community for having a pair of your trousers far outweighs the downsides.

P.s I like those shoes!

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

It would be nice for them to add in grenades or improvised bombs.

That way I can pull the pin and clutch a frag if any mofos tries to take my trousers.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

there are grenades in the mod i beleive not sure if they have been implimented into standalone yet?

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Ok so thanks to oysterbarron, I now have the game.

Here was my first experience/impressions:

I load the game, spawn near the shore I believe a common spawn as I have seen it in videos alot. I run down the road past the billboard with some bloke on it. I get stuck for 10 minutes trying to figure out how I have managed to lock my look in one direction. I managed to fix it and go into a house, found a motorbike helmet which made me extremely happy.

As if near instantaniously two guys bump into me in the house fully armed and start shooting. I hop around and dolphin dive like a fish, as I am bleeding out as they watch me in a doorway I managed to flip them off before I died.

I respawn in the same location, run up the road and see them running towards me. I go prone in the grass they search for me and find me flipping them off, the other guy walks over I start waving and clapping they looked confused. Then I went from a thumbs up to a middle finger then got shot again.

Last spawn of the day I encountered some serious gunfire. After things went quiet I see a guy looting a body, I walk over with my hands up him and someone else aim at me. As soon as they do I hear gunshots and thought for sure I was dead. But it was the person they were fighting and they were sniping at us all and we all ran around like headless chickens. And I hid in a bush. After it calmed down I ran out and danced round the people prone trying to loot. I then got shot.

After that I got a weird visual glitch after spawning back in with the screen being just one color. I was in game but the gfx was messed up, not sure what caused that.

I need some tips on what video settings to edit to make it run a little smoother, in some towns and areas it gets laggy, I don't know if that is me or just the game in it's current form, however I never noticed lag on anyone's videos on youtube. Currently running on 4GB ram and a 7750 1GB gfx card. It seemed to be just inline with recommended specs. If that helps at all.

Also I saw some gamepad options, I couldn't get that to work, it would be awesome if I could play with a controller as things aren't that smooth with keyboard and mouse.

.JokeR
  • .JokeR

Madness is the emergency exit.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

I love the reviews on Steam

"Got shot for a can if beans"

"Got chases by men singing war chants"
.xD

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Daz I haven't really experimented with the settings but I think it's a case of old faithful put everything down and then inch it up bit by bit!

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:33 PM Edited by Daz, 12 February 2014 - 08:07 PM.

Right.

At times it is smooth, in certain buildings but at times it goes a bit choppy and the game doesn't exactly feel like a smooth FPS would.

I guess I will set everything to low and keep testing.

Don't know if it will help having more RAM or not, that is about all I can upgrade right now.

I will post my first screenshot when I get home. And any others if I manage to bump into people with my middle finger extended.

First screencap: http://i.imgur.com/759yp1J.jpg

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

I think possibly you can decrease your field of view assuming that doesn't cause you motion illness less screen to render. The game itself isn't just a fps it's also a third person game aswell. Around big towns though I do get some frame drop. Might be beneficial to up your ram if you were planning on doing that anyway but can't garantee it will give you a performance boost as the game itself I would imagine is not optimised yet

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

I love the reviews on Steam

"Got shot for a can if beans"

"Got chases by men singing war chants"
.xD

My favourite two were:

'Force fed a guy bleach. He died

10/10'

and

'Was force fed bleach. I died

10/10'

• Th3MaN1 likes this

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

The game seemed less laggy now, might have only been 8 people on the server, and f*ck me I found an area that hadn't been looted, I had a blast, even though I didn't find much more than I did straight away, got lucky in finding good clothes and two crowbars.

Though I ran off a wooden staircase in a barn and broke me legs so now I cant walk so I quit out. :(

I hope it is fixed by the time I log back in.

Also I was trying to fill the water bottle at the well but couldnt figure it out. I got pretty good, managed to kill 5+ zombies with no injuries.

Current dude:

http://i.imgur.com/1rnLBaJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OvL5wz9.jpg

I love my kids backpack. :)

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

Ahh the falling off staircases in barns! I thought they had fixed that from the mod but you learn the hard way. If you found an epi pen or morphine then I think you can fix your legs from what I just read you need rags and some sticks, you can then combine them in your inventory by dragging them over each other and an action menu should appear and you should be able to make splints to fix your limb.

as for fps the latest patch hot fix sorted out a lot of optimization supposedly for long standing graphical issues.

As for filling of bottles, in the inventory you need to drag the bottle down to the hands box should be below the render of your character. Once you've done that come out of inventory and find a water source. Use the mouse wheel to scroll when next to one and the option to fill should come up. Well water is ok but beware of dirty ground water if you fill using that then you will need to purifie with a water purifier in the same way you craft splints to make it safe.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

Cheers.

I had the bottle out in my hand but couldn't figure that out, hopefully I will be able try it.

I don't have morphine, but I have an empty syringe. I can easily make rags, though mine got ruined, I guess a zombie barfed on them.

Where can you find sticks? (Sounds stupid to ask but I haven't seen any in any videos.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users