» «
Photo

DayZ standalone

552 replies to this topic
jelly
  • jelly

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

is properly, properly fun.

It's pretty barren in terms of features thus far, and relatively buggy.. but better than the mod.

I've died too many times already, but here's a particularly memorable session, wherein I acquired a pink beanie hat and a purple 'Dora the Explorer' style backpack. I felt divine.

JP4JVr8.jpg

Anyone else giving DayZ SA a shot?

Fnorg
  • Fnorg

OG

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

So far, the most fun I've had was capturing a guy and not executing him.

"Hey, we're not gonna kill you. We're just gonna handcuff you and rob you. Swear we won't kill ya."

My partner in crime, Edmachine, asked in his thick Russian accent if we should shoot him. "Of course not," I said, and proceeded to force disinfectant spray down his mouth and leaving him cuffed and without gear.

It's so barbaric just shooting unarmed prisoners ;___;

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Just gonna leave these here

4GjvMiK.jpg

3QwFgsI.jpg

• Finite and Ciaran like this

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

Yeah, I've been playing around a bit too, rounded up a bunch of people for a public execution, oh how they begged.

Fun times.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:09 AM

I see this game doesn't have any zombies?

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

I see this game doesn't have any zombies?

It does, but the point isn't the zombies, it's the people. Always has been.

That being said the number of zombies is very low currently due to performance and testing reasons. It's an alpha.

• Finite likes this

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Exactly, the zombies are a backdrop to the far more interesting player interaction, I can't tell you how many times I've frozen up in fear just because I've heard a bullet go off in the distance or I see another player walking a few hundred meters in front of me, it's absolutely terrifying and even if the zombie count rises to a level where they're actually going to be a credible threat, they still wouldn't excite me as much as seeing an explosion go off in the distance. 

Odd as it sounds, DayZ might just be the best zombie game I've ever played, if only because the zombies themselves are secondary to the actual players. Developers should take note of this and at least attempt to learn from it.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:02 PM Edited by Fireman, 23 December 2013 - 04:03 PM.

That's the same as in any other online zombie game, so that's not really a Day-Z only thing.

But are the zombie animations still as horrible as in the mod?

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

i'm waiting for it to go on sale, then maybe i'll buy it.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:56 PM

That's the same as in any other online zombie game, so that's not really a Day-Z only thing.

But are the zombie animations still as horrible as in the mod?

They're not perfect by any means but they're definitely better than what I remember seeing in the mod.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

Lord Protector

• Mongolia
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

I haven't found sh*t in the few hours I've played it so far, but I'm willing to team up with some dudes once I get time to.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

I must admit it's harder to find stuff now. I'm sure that rocket hasn't put this new looting system he showed off a few months ago in this build of standalone. I've been to the house he showed off in the demo he gave and there wasn't anything in the House at the placements he had in the video.

I'm still not sure whether it's the fact that there's more enter able buildings now making it seem like loot is rarer than it actually is. Or if it is just the loot system spawns aren't set up yet at the moment.

I've been to a lot of loot hot spots that are present in dayz mod and in standalone it's just barren at those locations unless you are looking for a hat or torn jeans!
  • friendly luggage likes this

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

it's sure fun

• *MURDOC*, Xboxless, friendly luggage and 2 others like this

Ivars
  • Ivars

HiiiPoWeR

• Members
  • Latvia

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

^^ Hahaa :D

Rebel
  • Rebel

Woop Woop!

• The Connection
  • Olympics

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

So far, the most fun I've had was capturing a guy and not executing him.

"Hey, we're not gonna kill you. We're just gonna handcuff you and rob you. Swear we won't kill ya."

My partner in crime, Edmachine, asked in his thick Russian accent if we should shoot him. "Of course not," I said, and proceeded to force disinfectant spray down his mouth and leaving him cuffed and without gear.

It's so barbaric just shooting unarmed prisoners ;___;

You didn't take all of this clothes and handcuff him up in a church by any means?

I play standalone - I'm enjoying it. The constant restarts is really nice though when you're right near a military base. I notice a lot more ''friendly'' people around though with guns being less of a commodity.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 25 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Can't wait for more content/features to be added... the bugfixes... the general stability improvements.

In a way this is more of a 'Walking Dead' themed game than any of the other bullsh*t they brought out (oh yeah, Telltale's itiration is awesome... but I'm mentioning the real POS).

And Fnorg you fa**ot... I have to ball with you sometime. It's just so sh*t when I have a character that survives/has decent gear it tends to be f*cking reset back to a f*cking bambi.

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

p8soMW0.jpg

This dude was dead when we got there, must have forgotten to log off or something.

Just serves to show how much better the atmosphere would be if dead bodies actually stayed where they were when people disconnected.

BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Anyone fancy playing?

Add http://steamcommunit...id/OldWorldYall on Steam :)

jelly
  • jelly

Posted 02 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

The last patch fixed bodies despawning, the game has improved a lot thanks to this small fix.

The revolver was also finally added. Patches will probably be more frequent now that the holidays are over.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:15 PM Edited by fullmetal, 02 January 2014 - 07:16 PM.

The last patch fixed bodies despawning, the game has improved a lot thanks to this small fix.

The revolver was also finally added. Patches will probably be more frequent now that the holidays are over.

OWWYEAH... finally loot those poor SOB's who try to creep on me. 

The more they fix things, the more I'm going to become an even more lifeless f*ck who goes innawoods in a videogame...

Mockage
  • Mockage

Fljótavík

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

Damn this game is buggy as hell, I can't even change my freaking view to 3rd person for some reason (no matter what server I'm on). Me and the posse so far have gotten some pretty nice stuff though from looting like f*ck.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

It's slowly getting better. My first experience on standalone was walking into town and the first thing I come across is a dead corpse with only his pants on. I decided to make a quick exit once I saw that.

SausageInACan
  • SausageInACan

كافر

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

I am about to get this. Anyone willing to start up a squad?

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

I would stomp on a baby to play this.

However I am slightly anti keyboard + mouse, not so much the mouse part, but the keyboard part pisses me off, I like intuitive controls and not having to look away from the screen to make sure you hit the correct button. This combined with the insanely complex controls of the ArmA series has mostly been the major part of me not ever getting it.

If the controls have been simplified and it is much smoother to play then I might give it a go.

Though I am not keen on the feature that the local time of the server being relative to real life. Because I am only gaming through the night and f*ck off if I am going to play in the dark.

But my looting addiction really wants me to get this game.

• EyeMacHunt and Ciaran like this

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Man, This looks fun, Just not "I'm gonna fork over 30 of my hard earned dollars for this buggy alpha" kinda fun.

knowaimsayin?

• friendly luggage likes this

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Vette pass by, errbody looking

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Man, This looks fun, Just not "I'm gonna fork over 30 of my hard earned dollars for this buggy alpha" kinda fun.

knowaimsayin?

As a mod and standalone alpha player I'd wait until this game matures more. Grab the mod if you must play it

• Killerdude8 likes this

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Grab the game if you must play it... worth the wait (and gets constantly updated which you didn't have for the mod at all).

I just get sick of the f*cking ladders man. That's atm the no1 cause of death. Buggy pieces of sh*t.

SausageInACan
  • SausageInACan

كافر

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Guys if you plan on getting this in the future get it now since you will get the full game for free when it comes out.

Also Daz after a while for most of the controls you wont need to look down at your keyboard.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:00 AM

It does look a hundred times better than the mod. Animations, outfits, and weapons all look way better. It really makes me want it. It is probably one of those games worth going through the hastle to get used to playing it.

One question though, what is this whole unconsious thing about? I never played the mod neither, but it seems like it is a new thing. Do you not lose your stuff when this happens if nobody loots you, or what?

I feel that I probably wouldnt make it all that far without getting my ass owned or robbed all the time.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Finally standalone.

It keeps the dirt from ARMA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users