Photo

What is the purpose of street-gangs?

49 replies to this topic
Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

This might be a stupid question, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

It's very clear to me how organized crime (like the mafia or Motorcycle clubs) can be a very profitable operation.
Their structures are nearly identical to an ordinary corporation where the leader allows the earner to "earn" whithin their territory, but in return some of the earnings must flow upwards.

However, i do not understand streetgangs like the blood and the crips. They have no real structure or leaders.
They are composed simply of people who identify with either one color or another.
When the smallest earner "earns" something, no one else would care. The money he earns is his alone, thus really eliminating the need for the gang in the first place.
I hope my post makes sense, and someone could give me a reasonable explanation for this.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:54 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 22 December 2013 - 01:55 PM.

Originally (back in the early 20th century) gangs were meant to protect their fellow immigrants and other minorities in neighborhoods that were full of them, sort of like a neighborhood watch. I think that comradeship and desire to own the streets is what fuels street gangs today. And they usually still make commissions with protection money and drug sales in their turf, I'm pretty sure.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:55 PM Edited by F4L?, 22 December 2013 - 01:56 PM.

If you call being in a gang like that reasonable, then you are a fool. They just hang together to be cool/tough, or simply for companionship, to belong to something.

Personally I prefer companionship without having to kill people first.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

I've noticed that to during the pre-release of V. And every time I pointed it out, I got labeled a racist.

I could imagine that the whole concept of street gangs started out when two people, let's call them Tyrone and Shaniqua, decide to go out and rob people together. Eventually, Tyrone and Shaniqua get good at robbing people and a few more robbers join their 'clique'. They all think that it'd be "hardcore nigga sh*t" if they got an image for themselves, which they based off of the rap subculture, or however it works.

As they're doing that, rival gangsters Waniqua and Bryan, decide to "roll on they ass nigga" because they're getting more money than they are, or for "respect in da hood nigga" or whatever reason. They attack them, and in the unorganized ghettoblasting chaos that ensures, another senseless staple of gangland violence is shown on the 9'oclock news.

I know for a fact people are gonna call me racist for this post, but how is it racist if it's based on factual statements? I'll agree with you, the mob and biker gangs both commit crimes like street gangs, and while they do kill people, it seems like the street gangs are more likely to commit violent crimes than the former two.

• PaletoChickenCapo likes this

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Well from what I understand so far it varies from gang to gang, there are popular gangs that previously originated in prison. Everyone was in a "group", and in order to stay safe they decided to create their own. After they did their time and were released they decided to operate the gang outside of prison control.

If you mean joining a gang, many people do it to feel a part of a family. To have a brotherhood (if you know what I mean). It's pretty much kids who don't know what they want in life if you ask me, so they join a gang and they feel like they belong. Eventually they're asked to do things for the gang, some people do and some people don't. The people that don't, well let's just say it doesn't end pretty well. 

There are a lot of people that join gangs and don't leave out of fear for their own livelihoods. You can't just get up and say "I'm done with this gang", once you're in a lot of the times you're in for life. And they will make sure that you stay for life by ending yours once you get out. This sends a message to the entire gang to make them loyal, it's not something I'd ever want to get into.

But yeah, I'm still not sure what you mean by "the purpose". Who's purpose? The guy that is joining, or the leader? The guy that is joining wants to belong somewhere, he wants to be a part of a family. The leader, he wants to maintain control, he wants to make money, and he wants to be in power.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:11 PM Edited by theadmiral, 22 December 2013 - 02:11 PM.

And every time I pointed it out, I got labeled a racist.

let's call them Tyrone and Shaniqua,

Geez, I wonder why anyone would consider you a racist if the first two names for black people you can think of are Tyrone and Shaniqua.

• epoxi, Kalvin, OG Sunny and 3 others like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Geez, I wonder why anyone would consider you a racist if the first two names for black people you can think of are Tyrone and Shaniqua.

I legit thought about putting in the names of the New Kids (Barrie, Rikkert, Gerrie, etc.) but I didn't think anybody would get the reference. Then I thought about old English names like John, William, etc. but then I thought people would accuse me of being racist by not knowing any black names.

• PaletoChickenCapo and askinnywhitedildo like this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:17 PM Edited by F4L?, 22 December 2013 - 02:17 PM.

William and Beatrice then.

I think he was using stereotypical black names to illustrate his point, which I don't necessarily agree with.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:22 PM

I think he was using stereotypical black names to illustrate his point, which I don't necessarily agree with.

I should've just named them "A", "B", "C", and "D". But what kind of names would those be?

perhaps names a crack mother gives to her kids.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:14 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 22 December 2013 - 03:21 PM.

I should've just named them "A", "B", "C", and "D". But what kind of names would those be?

Alice, Bob, Carol, and Dan. (https://en.wikipedia...t_of_characters)

The stereotypically black names (and the references to "da hood" and "rollin' on they ass") made it sound like you were setting up black people as strawmen for your arguement, and that made it come off as racist too.

• epoxi and theadmiral like this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

Do gangbangers really use proper formal vocabulary when it comes to discussing gang matters? The majority of gangsters I've met in my life back when my mom used to associate with them when she used to do crack, they had those names and vocabulary

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

Do gangbangers really use proper formal vocabulary when it comes to discussing gang matters? The majority of gangsters I've met in my life back when my mom used to associate with them when she used to do crack, they had those names and vocabulary

So your mom knew a bunch of people named Tyrone and Shaniqua? I don't buy it. I live in a city where the majority of people are black and I've never met a single one with those names. Most have either African names, or normal American names.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:35 PM

It probably depends on the region. Most of the black people who go to school with me (central florida) have those names.

stu
  • stu

I'm finished.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

To keep the Russians out, the Americans in, and the Germans down.

Wait no, that was NATO. Lol I'm such an idiot.

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

So your mom knew a bunch of people named Tyrone and Shaniqua? I don't buy it. I live in a city where the majority of people are black and I've never met a single one with those names. Most have either African names, or normal American names.

You confuse me, Addy. What city do you live in?

Could have just called them Bonnie and Clyde. That was the perfect opportunity. Why do you always disappoint me?

• universetwisters likes this

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'm sorry I disappointed you ambassador. Please dont assassinate me at the model train swapmeet next week

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

You confuse me, Addy. What city do you live in?

Our nations lovely capital

3Hunt
  • 3Hunt

Evilest nigga this side of the Mississippi.

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

Wow, UniverseTwister sh*t, you're such a close-minded person. All the posts I've seen coming from you, are just distasteful and ignorant. I'm ignorant and an asshole myself, but you're just another level of that. You're a d*ck. You don't care about anyone else's opinion, only your's. Not only that, but making fun of black people now? It's not that you're racist, it's just that you're so close-minded, your mindset is in another degree of retarded. I don't get offended by jokes like that and sh*t, but when it comes to someone like you, a dimwit, I simply don't like you. Grow the balls and say that to a hoodrat's face. Growing up in Stockton, CA, I got used to the streetrats tearing up everyone's day in a matter of minutes. I grew up hating gangbangers, being a minority myself, I was seen as another piece of trash, troublemaking moolie. Without people knowing me fully. I dress up in 'skater' apparel, but with "close-minded" people, it's labeled 'white people' clothes. And saying that TYRONE and SHANIQUA are common black names, please. Get to know the race before you judge them. I bet you think all Latinos are named JOSE and MARIA. This is coming from a mixed black dude with African background and named 'ERICK', nicknamed 'RICKY'. I act like a common 'n*gger' (I know that is one of your favorite words, UniverseTwisters) and will get bashed for it from narrow-minded people, whispering about me with their families. 

Okay, this is boring. I'm done now, bye. Don't take any of this serious!

• na89340qv0n34b09q340, Eris and theadmiral like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

So I had an incident at a Chinese restaurant. To protect identity, lets just call the male Ching Chong Chow and the woman Chong Chong Lee.

• Melchior, na89340qv0n34b09q340 and AceRay like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

So I had an incident at a Chinese restaurant. To protect identity, lets just call the male Ching Chong Chow and the woman Chong Chong Lee.

• Danz. and theadmiral like this

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, got skippy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

Questioning street gangs is like throwing bologna at a tank. It's wasted effort. Not only did you not do any harm to that tank, you just wasted a piece of a meat that you could've used to make a moderately yummy sandwich.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:52 PM Edited by Xerukal, 22 December 2013 - 08:56 PM.

Questioning street gangs is like throwing bologna at a tank. It's wasted effort. Not only did you not do any harm to that tank, you just wasted a piece of a meat that you could've used to make a moderately yummy sandwich.

But what if the piece of meat was actually an elaborate acidic projectile that could burn through ANY surface? What if the tank is made out of chocolate? What if the entry point of the tank is open and meat could be thrown INSIDE if aimed correctly? 

These options must be explored, my friends. 

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

....post.... Don't take any of this serious!

I noticed that little slogan thingamado under your username says "nigga". You don't think that's racist a bit? And going through your profile, you seem to say "nigga" a lot, which is basically "ni**er" in another context.

Don't give me any of those "word privileges" bullsh*t, I've got as much right to say "nigga" as a Native American has to say "tupperware".

Hecate
  • Hecate

I am for the air.

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

However, i do not understand streetgangs like the blood and the crips. They have no real structure or leaders.

Yeah, wrong. They have a pretty organized structure similar to the mobsters and old-time criminals the culture tends to look up to. Why do you think every "hood" rapper has to make references to Scarface -- that is, both Al Capone and Tony Montana. It's because they go into crime looking for the same thing and they use a similar structure that they learned from history. There's grunts, there's muscle, there's bosses. It varies from gang to gang but it's generally more organized the more profitable their business is. Also, on that note...

When the smallest earner "earns" something, no one else would care. The money he earns is his alone, thus really eliminating the need for the gang in the first place.

Wrong again. The dealers or hustlers or movers of this illegal quantity or that... They all give upward, just like the mob example you're using. Sure they take money off the top but the bosses organize things and get the connections for drugs or guns, and the low-level people have to respect that by giving most of the money back upwards. The entire system is actually pretty f*cking organized despite it looking otherwise. Street gangs are dangerous because of this organization, and especially nowadays as cartels continue to supply to them, gangs are an issue for the entire region they are in.

They take in young people as grunts in the business with a promise of an easier life, or at least a more honorable one, or at least one that makes more money. And usually that promise is correct because these people they're recruiting feel like if they don't sling dope then they're going to end up flipping burgers or something for the rest of their life. These gangs feed on that anxiety that every young adult has. Compound that with the culture we have in America that glamorizes material wealth and showmanship over anything else, and you would be just as willing to get into your older brother's gang, if it meant making more money than your high school teacher at 17, getting laid, getting high, being the toughest motherf*cker on the block or at least friends with the toughest guy out there. It's a sense of community that they won't find elsewhere, and the reason why is because these gangs are organized just as much as any mafia. They are, in short, one in the same.

• Failure and Lil ski like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

They take in young people as grunts in the business with a promise of an easier life, or at least a more honorable one, or at least one that makes more money. And usually that promise is correct because these people they're recruiting feel like if they don't sling dope then they're going to end up flipping burgers or something for the rest of their life. These gangs feed on that anxiety that every young adult has. Compound that with the culture we have in America that glamorizes material wealth and showmanship over anything else, and you would be just as willing to get into your older brother's gang, if it meant making more money than your high school teacher at 17, getting laid, getting high, being the toughest motherf*cker on the block or at least friends with the toughest guy out there. It's a sense of community that they won't find elsewhere, and the reason why is because these gangs are organized just as much as any mafia. They are, in short, one in the same.

If only they knew that slinging dope didn't pay well unless you're at the top of the pyramid. 

3Hunt
  • 3Hunt

Evilest nigga this side of the Mississippi.

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

....post.... Don't take any of this serious!

I noticed that little slogan thingamado under your username says "nigga". You don't think that's racist a bit? And going through your profile, you seem to say "nigga" a lot, which is basically "ni**er" in another context.

Don't give me any of those "word privileges" bullsh*t, I've got as much right to say "nigga" as a Native American has to say "tupperware".

Ok.

• universetwisters likes this

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

If you're really interested in the subject, have a listen to this episode (and part two) from This American Life. Kinda woke me up to a few realities.

http://www.thisameri...school-part-one

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

Yeah man, gangs are cool. 10 dudes to beat up 1 person.. real noble.

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

Their purpose?

It's a no brainer really. Love and money. The same reason every human institution exists. People whom society neglects have to find love and money somewhere. It's almost as if half the forumers here think everybody else lives a sheltered life with a loving family and hot meals. Wake up.
  • Hecate, Melchior and Eris like this

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

It's very clear to me how organized crime (like the mafia or Motorcycle clubs) can be a very profitable operation.

Motorcycle clubs aren't gangs. I know many people whom are part of motorcycle clubs and don't even have a criminal record yet they get labelled as a criminal, drug addict and a rapist. I also know some people over in Australia whom are part of the Mongols MC and former Finks MC members. As the Mongols MC chapter in Australia has been dubbed by the media as hardcore criminals, some friends of mine haven't even committed one single crime and they automatically get judged upon. Because a small minority are causing havoc, that doesn't mean everyone is all bad.

To answer your question - Gangs nowadays are mainly about making cash any way possible. Going back over 40-50 years ago, it was different. Gangs were established as protecting one another from the same neighborhood. During this era, crime is pointless and isn't necessary. People simply gather together and commit mindless crimes to earn money. 

To answer your question about the Mafia. The Mafia was formed as a way of protection. People from Italy were getting hassled by the French, and women were also getting raped, and so the people finally came together and defended themselves. As the years have passed by, it is far different. The Mafia is now seen as a tradition. A father passes it on to his son, and to his son, and to his son.. I guess they still do protect each other but the main reason that the Mafia is still here today is for money needs. The Mob is like a club, a secret society, but a criminal secret society club.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users