Quantcast

» «
Photo

Can't R* just make cash live on the server?

17 replies to this topic
Massive Roy
  • Massive Roy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Now granted, I don't really understand how servers and "the cloud" work.. But I can only assume that because people are able to modify a file to influence payouts etc, that all references to money are stored on the console..

Would it not be possible to remove this from the console and store it online, so that it can't be accessed and hacked, atleast not so easily, and hacks would be more traceable.

Ok, it may lead to slightly increased load times, but wouldn't this mean a fair game without all the hacks that are ruining it for so many people..

I could of course be completely wrong and sound like a right dumbass.. If that is the case, I apologise, don't flame me, It's just a thought I had which I thought I'd share..

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:50 AM Edited by Phyxsius-, 22 December 2013 - 09:51 AM.

That was the idea of Cloud Saving, or what I thought it was. It turns out that it was just a big pile of horse sh*t, courtesy of Rockstar. MMO my ass - the tragedy of this is people will still argue about this.

So, all we`re left is 2 weeks full of bugs and chars missing, for a "feature" that isn`t more useful than a local save - since the game is as easy to hack as it was GTA 4.

Massive Roy
  • Massive Roy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

It isn't so much the bugs that's the problem.. Granted, they should have beta'd the game properly before releasing, but for what ever reason, they didn't.. But these things can be sorted.

But as long as there are files available on the console, that can be modified to affect gameplay, the hacking for money will never stop..

Cheater pool will only discourage a few, banning is unlikely, and those banned, will have ways around bannings anyway.

I don't understand a great deal about programming, but I can't image it will be that difficult to sit all payments and money details on the cloud, and have it ignore any modifications coming from the console..

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

They do need to make more like proper mmo's (wow etc) where the only data we have on our hdd's is map/texture files etc

All "stats", $, alithograms etc etc NEED to be server side, and secure!

The only thing they can do to "fix" the economy is some kinda hard reset. (or follow the paper trail to get all hacked/duped money back, which tbh is impossible with this paper trail!), other mmo's like wow etc would die FAST if a load of "fake" money suddenly entered it's servers! Gold sellers do enough damage, and that is still "real" money (as opposed to hacked numbers).

• Magick likes this

helresa
  • helresa

Public Security Section 9

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

What they need to do is put security in the tunable file so that it can be locally over ridden or altered, and if it is then you can't play. It's all technically possible, it might just take time to get the patch out and approved by Sony and Microsoft, I would not be surprised if we didn't get a patch on Tuesday along with the Xmas clothes and snow....

obsidian_eclipse
  • obsidian_eclipse

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think the information is stored server side (granted I've never looked) but it queries the console at the point a purchase or payout is made to look for stat modifications (such as preorder special edition, discounts and bonus multipliers etc), this file is easily hacked and so tweaking a few numbers results in massive changes when it returns "x1000" back to the server instead of x1 for instance. The same file is probably used for solo, off line play or when the cloud is temporarily down so players can keep playing.

pr0n-
  • pr0n-

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

They do need to make more like proper mmo's (wow etc) where the only data we have on our hdd's is map/texture files etc

The only thing they can do to "fix" the economy is some kinda hard reset. (or follow the paper trail to get all hacked/duped money back, which tbh is impossible with this paper trail!), other mmo's like wow etc would die FAST if a load of "fake" money suddenly entered it's servers! Gold sellers do enough damage, and that is still "real" money (as opposed to hacked numbers).

fix the economy... jesus christ

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

Have you played other MMO's... their "economy" is the main thing that keeps the games alive... its the beating heart, usually that's why mmo's have an Auction House.

If you think an in-game economy is some kinda joke, then you just made it on you lol.

Massive Roy
  • Massive Roy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Are you implying that there isn't an economy?

Because of course there is.. Rockstar even refer to it when justifying their mission payout adjustments..

Granted, the in game economy is pretty much non existent at the moment, but that is due to all the hacking.. Nothing has value anymore, which shouldn't be the case.

Hopefully they can do something similar to the things posted above, which will see this sort of thing become a thing of the past and the in game economy will eventually sort itself out..

Peter Smith
  • Peter Smith

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

Lol if the people that think gta has an economy, were to care this much about the real economy, we would have world peace by now.

Massive Roy
  • Massive Roy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Lol if the people that think gta has an economy, were to care this much about the real economy, we would have world peace by now.

But that would mean that real life economy was as simple to sort out.. Which it isn't..

In game economy is nothing like real life economy, those that think it is are confused.. But the fact still remains, the game has an economy, it's currently broken, and rockstar are the ones that need to fix it..
  • blakeney likes this

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:09 AM Edited by blakeney, 22 December 2013 - 11:11 AM.

LOL I think ALOT more effort goes into he worlds economy then a MMO's!!

Are you seriously that f*cking silly?

Its a shame, irl I would give you a clip round the ear and tell you to leave the adults to talk and bung you 20p to go on the pepper pig ride or something...They need to invent an online version of that for use on forums like this lol.

• Massive Roy likes this

Jokimoto
  • Jokimoto

Disco Bandit

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

What R* is calling an "economy" almost exclusively exists only between them and the individual player, which is where I think all this confusion over the use of the word is coming from. There is no player-to-player trading.  The only effect a player's wealth has on anyone besides themselves is via Bounties/Airstrikes/Mercs/Purchasing Power/etc. 

Were BAWSAQ live it'd be quite a different story. Were players allowed to buy/sell between each other it'd be different. As it stands we're all basically inhabiting our own little min-economies between us and the game, with the exceptions listed above which, to be fair, are all equally available to someone with either real-life cash or the ability/desire to mod or hack or glitch or whatever.

Mart1001
  • Mart1001

Peon

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think too many people get confused between an economy and a currency. GTA has a currency but it doesn't have an economy, you can just create a $100 billion out of thin air, it's fictional, if it was an economy, then that $100 billion would have to come from somewhere(affecting the econpmy), it doesn't.

• pr0n- likes this

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

Were BAWSAQ live it'd be quite a different story. Were players allowed to buy/sell between each other it'd be different. As it stands we're all basically inhabiting our own little min-economies between us and the game, with the exceptions listed above which, to be fair, are all equally available to someone with either real-life cash or the ability/desire to mod or hack or glitch or whatever.

Chances are we don't have those features because of all the money cheating.

This is just speculation of course but it is a pretty reasonable explanation.

Jokimoto
  • Jokimoto

Disco Bandit

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Maybe so. It wasn't implemented at launch, but from that I can only speculate as well that either they were afraid of it being exploited or they didn't have faith in its properly functioning, but who knows? At his point I think it's safe to say that unless/until all of this money-making is sorted out that we'll never see it implemented at all.

(Gotta point out, too, that since R* has decided to go the cash-card route that makes me wonder if maybe they never meant to implement BAWSAQ at all. Who'd want to spend real money on fake money when they could make it on the market?)

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Maybe so. It wasn't implemented at launch, but from that I can only speculate as well that either they were afraid of it being exploited or they didn't have faith in its properly functioning, but who knows? At his point I think it's safe to say that unless/until all of this money-making is sorted out that we'll never see it implemented at all.

(Gotta point out, too, that since R* has decided to go the cash-card route that makes me wonder if maybe they never meant to implement BAWSAQ at all. Who'd want to spend real money on fake money when they could make it on the market?)

Well considering the way launch went with the servers I think it's safe to say they pulled BAWSDAQ, I doubt they planned on having it added on launch since everyone would be low level with practically no money, I do agree though that we won't ever see it implemented until things are fixed.

I also don't think cash-cards would have deluded it that much since you'd have to spend a ridiculous amount of money to make a huge impact.

pr0n-
  • pr0n-

Snitch

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

thank god this thread ended with some people making valid points

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users