Photo

How Will GTA:O Survive After Christmas?

15 replies to this topic
M210F
  • M210F

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

Given that after Christmas a large amount of the (already dwindling) playerbase will move onto other games or next-generation consoles, how do you picture Rockstar handling this? There's no official word about a next-gen release, which is odd in a game advertised as lasting for years.

If Rockstar isn't planning on releasing the game next-gen, or if they do but make it so that our characters don't carry over, then the least they can do is increase payouts in RP and cash so that new/legit players can get some of the late-game content before switching over. I can't picture the game having a particularly large playerbase come February, heists or not.

What are your opinions?

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:22 AM Edited by GTA4 Niko Bellic, 22 December 2013 - 05:23 AM.

More people own a current-gen console than a next-gen. If you look at the ratio, it's way higher for current gen. 

So there's nothing to "handle" :p, and nothing to worry about. In a year (or half a year) from now they will probably make a port just to earn extra revenue. Being honest next-gen isn't "next gen" yet. It just started, so there's very little games and a bunch of technical issues, I'd love to get a PS3 but I'm willing to wait until 2014 or 2015 when prices drop and there's a bunch more games for it.

• xNinjaStarfishx likes this

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

Next year Ima be playing Fable Anniversary the remake of Fable TLC but I'll come back to GTA.

Sterling Malory Archer
  • Sterling Malory Archer

What the sh*t? I'm playing GRAND THEFT TANK

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

with a lot of kids getting Christmas gifts and money there will be a lot of new players after Christmas.  Just because you're unhappy with the game doesn't mean that 98% of the player base isn't. 

This is very angry, niche forum so don't allow the opinions of a few dozen people drag you down.

M210F
  • M210F

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

with a lot of kids getting Christmas gifts and money there will be a lot of new players after Christmas.  Just because you're unhappy with the game doesn't mean that 98% of the player base isn't. 

This is very angry, niche forum so don't allow the opinions of a few dozen people drag you down.

Yeah, there will be new players, but look at how accessible the game is- that is, not at all. It sucked enough being a low level when everyone else was, but can you imagine going into a deathmatch now at level 6, with nothing but a pistol while everyone else has an automatic shotgun and an RPG? It would be horrible. Rockstar's shooting themselves in the foot- the cutting payouts only affects newcomers and legit players, and so I imagine most players would get frustrated and quit- especially before purchasing the overpriced cashcards. I know I probably would.

• KaptainMyke likes this

TheGreenSadler
  • TheGreenSadler

Born in sin, COME ON IN.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

A good portion of players will still be around after Christmas, but some new comers probably won't stay long. I really feel bad for the new people coming in a few days. It will take them quite some time to level up and the hackers and griefers won't make it any better for them. And to answer your question OP, the number of people playing this game will eventually dwindle down. After more games come out for next-gen, people will start moving on from GTA Online.

Peter Smith
  • Peter Smith

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

The percentage of people that play Gta 5, play in SP. At least I'm willing to bet. I'm sure the people that do get it will try online and say f that and play SP occasionally. I think we are all doomed to playing SP occasionally in the future. All I can picture for gta:o in future years, is gta 4's modded to hell online. But yeah, once gta:o becomes unbearable, no one is going to want to play it, everyone will play SP occasionally to get their gta fix.

This is all my opinion, but it seems plausible.

Crafty-
  • Crafty-

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

Plenty will continue to play and there are a who bunch of people who will be receiving the game as a present, so they'll start playing.

Meantime there isn't much on next gen to get excited about, I've seen people selling them on or returning to current gen because they are bored.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:09 AM

You won't see many GTA V christmas sales because the game came out like three months ago. Most of the people that wanted GTA V have it already. Its not like COD or something where it comes out close enough to christmas to warrant waiting.

I don't think this game will maintain population for years to come, especially when psn and xbl on current gen get shut down. 

wolfp212
  • wolfp212

CLWP

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

You won't see many GTA V christmas sales because the game came out like three months ago. Most of the people that wanted GTA V have it already. Its not like COD or something where it comes out close enough to christmas to warrant waiting.

I don't think this game will maintain population for years to come, especially when psn and xbl on current gen get shut down. 

Not true.  My son says that 7 friends in his class are getting it for Christmas.  And that's just one class of kids, I expect that Christmas will see a large boom in new players, but it will slowly decline after that.

As for XBL and PSN getting shut down, not for at least 3 or more years.  How to tell?  PS2 was still releasing mainstream  new titles looooong into the life of PS3.  They still released new PS2 games THIS year.

http://en.wikipedia....ion_Soccer_2014

And my local Gamestop still has a large selection of used PS2.  So, I don't see current gen going anywhere in a long time.

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Couldn't agree more :)

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

Not true.  My son says that 7 friends in his class are getting it for Christmas.  And that's just one class of kids, I expect that Christmas will see a large boom in new players, but it will slowly decline after that.

As for XBL and PSN getting shut down, not for at least 3 or more years.  How to tell?  PS2 was still releasing mainstream  new titles looooong into the life of PS3.  They still released new PS2 games THIS year.

And my local Gamestop still has a large selection of used PS2.  So, I don't see current gen going anywhere in a long time.

Im surprised people can still play PS2, it has a good selection of games but its not like the PS3 is lacking any more. I know some parts of the world (like brazil) just got the older consoles/models. 

wolfp212
  • wolfp212

CLWP

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Im surprised people can still play PS2, it has a good selection of games but its not like the PS3 is lacking any more. I know some parts of the world (like brazil) just got the older consoles/models. 

I still play some PS2 games, but as my PS3 and 360 library grows, I find I have less time to do so.  And I plan on getting both Xbox 1 and PS4 by March or April, so I'll have even less time lol.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

SWTOR, which was VERY poorly managed and tanked like there was no tomorrow.. still has a somewhat stable player base, having sold only 2 mil copies. I`d imagine this game and its 29 mils sold is in no danger for at least 2-3 years, regardless of the sh*t Rockstar is pulling - most of today`s players have no pride, so there is no danger of them leaving over such small matters like being spat in the face.

• Odesza likes this

zkroll
  • zkroll

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:35 AM Edited by zkroll, 22 December 2013 - 11:38 AM.

More people own a current-gen console than a next-gen. If you look at the ratio, it's way higher for current gen. 

So there's nothing to "handle" :p, and nothing to worry about. In a year (or half a year) from now they will probably make a port just to earn extra revenue. Being honest next-gen isn't "next gen" yet. It just started, so there's very little games and a bunch of technical issues, I'd love to get a PS3 but I'm willing to wait until 2014 or 2015 when prices drop and there's a bunch more games for it.

Either you didn't have a firm understanding of what the OP asked, or you decided to ignore it.  Being honest, next-gen is next-gen, currently.  Rockstar is 100% planning for it, it's called business ethics.   lol @ your smiley face. 

Odesza
  • Odesza

The Worst

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:42 AM

SWTOR, which was VERY poorly managed and tanked like there was no tomorrow.. still has a somewhat stable player base, having sold only 2 mil copies. I`d imagine this game and its 29 mils sold is in no danger for at least 2-3 years, regardless of the sh*t Rockstar is pulling - most of today`s players have no pride, so there is no danger of them leaving over such small matters like being spat in the face.

I hated SWTOR so much what a piece of sh*t excuse to give us instead of a KOTOR 3.

• Phyxsius- likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users