Photo

Rockstar's Biggest Scandal, GTAV and Data-mining

35 replies to this topic
Dan001
  • Dan001

Hello

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

What if Rockstar was recording your in game habits and using that information to sell it to companies? Would you be mad?

It would be even more frightening if you were being profiled by your in-game habits.

A lot of information is being sent to the cloud as you log on. As to what that information contains about the player/user... who really knows.

Discuss

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:28 PM

Oh my god, you mean R* might know when I play GTA V?

• baskerwil, GroundZero, AndrewDeSanta and 7 others like this

Dave Rizza
  • Dave Rizza

AWC

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

Story was cool

Bro

Dan001
  • Dan001

Hello

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yes they do. Of course.

If they went even further and monitored the things you say while on-line, would that piss you off?

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Yes they do. Of course.

If they went even further and monitored the things you say while on-line, would that piss you off?

They'd have a hard time of it, considering that I don't have a mic. 

However, if I found out that Kellogg's knew what my K/D ratio was, I'd be scared sh*tless. It's pretty bad.

• GamerShotgun, GroundZero, ParanoiaX and 3 others like this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

Misleading title? Yes please.

Assuming this ain't a joke and you don't actually understand sarcasm, I also would be miffed if I were to start receiving emails from aston martin telling me that I could a real-life JB700 and Jackal at a local dealership. 

And I agree, I really don't want Kellogg's to know my K/D ratio, the privacy of my psychopathic cereal-eating habits would be frightening. 

• jatiger13 likes this

Fluttershy Pony
  • Fluttershy Pony

Change my stupid name.

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:03 AM

What can they possibly find out? I don't have any personal information on this ancient Xbox 360 console, because I know Micro$oft love to invade privacy. I could just play offline too, it's not like being connected to the Internet changes anything.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

They would probably put me on a hit list. Nothing is more suspicious in GTA than a person who drives with the rules and adores animals & countryside.

• baskerwil, Mikepanter, James K and 1 other like this

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

I don't play online. Yeah. Winner right here.

MAKAVELlil
  • MAKAVELlil

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

I wouldn't care any company can use my information if they want it

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilited Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:11 AM

ill definitelly be on a hit list... they would hear me planning mass murders, car bombing and suicide attacks on a daily basis.

ExitiumMachina
  • ExitiumMachina

What?

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

A lot of games already do that as a way of removing or keeping content in future material...Grid off the top of my head had metric data fed to Codemasters that was then used in the exclusion of a few, rather nice if I add, features in Grid 2 because according to the data not very many people used said features.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:22 AM Edited by Official General, 22 December 2013 - 02:24 AM.

What if Rockstar was recording your in game habits and using that information to sell it to companies? Would you be mad?

It would be even more frightening if you were being profiled by your in-game habits.

A lot of information is being sent to the cloud as you log on. As to what that information contains about the player/user... who really knows.

Discuss

I'd be very frightened. This could mean the end of the world. The sky may fall on our heads. The floor of the earth could crack open and reveal it's mantle, outer, and inner core. 

We should start a massive awareness campaign about this so that people must know Rockstar are doing. What do you think ?

Loxley
  • Loxley

This member is no longer active.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

The NSA, Google, Microsoft, and Apple already do it. Nothing is secret anymore.

And you think R* checking how you play GTAV is creepy? Give me a break.

Smart phones, Pcs, Smart Tvs, etc. can already record you anytime they want via mic or camera. The machine doesn't even have to be on.

But, what do I know? I am just some random guy on the internet.

Ignorance is bliss friend, but also a chain.

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

• Mikepanter likes this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:50 AM

OMG so rockstar knows that I stalk female peds...

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

Discuss

just like any other gaming company today---they already are.

Didn't you get the EULA? :lol:

• saintsrow and ExitiumMachina like this

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

It would be more surprising than anything, considering my 360 isn't hooked up to online.

• PkUnzipper likes this

dtsmucker
  • dtsmucker

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:31 AM

Hey Dan.... Fix the game you dick.

Josh410
  • Josh410

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

What if I tell you NSA is spying on you on the 360? Revolutionary.

Michael De Santa
  • Michael De Santa

Big Mouth Prick

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:56 AM Edited by Michael De Santa , 22 December 2013 - 07:37 AM.

Discuss

They may collect data to make their Next Games

Cant you just add ? to Topic.Topic is 'Misleading'

At the end you have added word 'Discuss'

Anyone can identify this topic is made by 'Attention Seeker'

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'm more intrigued by the fact that the US government can watch me jack off.

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

When you buy any game with online component YOU are subject to full compliance with this agreement.
Take some time and read the T&C's and you might get some few additional surprises worth starting a topic and wasting our time
/thread

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

I thought I would only need this meme for a few weeks...or so

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm more intrigued by the fact that the US government can watch me jack off.

Kinect FTW :colgate:

I received a message from Rockstar GTA0 support the other night in my PSN, telling me I have a bad habit of oversteering the muscle cars, and that I should ease off the throttle on tight turns with the Entity.  They also told me that my reflexes are in the lower quartile of the gaming population.  So yeah, maybe they are watching.  :)

On topic:  Rockstar will have to get in line behind Google if they want to ream me for every last iota of personal information.  :p

jonkoroken420
  • jonkoroken420

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Discuss

All information they get from me playing is that I'm basically a huge douchebag in servers, And I like killing people.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:57 AM Edited by Andreas, 22 December 2013 - 10:59 AM.

The National Security Agency already infiltrates Xbox Live and they deploy agents in games like World of Warcraft. You can read more about it here: http://www.theguardi...aft-second-life

I think the only data Rockstar collects is the progress of the players in the multiplayer and possibly singleplayer if you have an account on Social Club. However, there is always the possibility that spy agencies like the NSA is collecting private data - at least, I wouldn't rule it out. Literally every action you do online, be it playing multiplayer or surfing the web, could be researched by the biggest online platforms and spy agencies in the world.

Did you know that Google knows about everything you search for?
Did you know that Google can see everything you do if you use Chrome?
Did you know that Facebook can see what you do if you do not log off when you're a Google Chrome user?

I could go on and it simply doesn't end. Welcome to the world we're living in today!
  • visionist and PkUnzipper like this

Alvarez
  • Alvarez

Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Admit it we're not that interesting to gubmint, but rather we cost money and we can be sold to douchebags like Davin Weston.

MajorWhytey
  • MajorWhytey

MODified

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

I got an email from Alcoholics Anonymous recommending me to join up as they believe I may have a problem with the amount of pisswater I consume.
It's all rockstars fault. They gave me an unlimited supply of wine and whiskey in my apartment 😳
  • PkUnzipper likes this

Dan001
  • Dan001

Hello

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Wow. So I guess the majority of replies are for pro-spying. I find that surprising.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

The National Security Agency already infiltrates Xbox Live and they deploy agents in games like World of Warcraft. You can read more about it here: http://www.theguardi...aft-second-life

I think the only data Rockstar collects is the progress of the players in the multiplayer and possibly singleplayer if you have an account on Social Club. However, there is always the possibility that spy agencies like the NSA is collecting private data - at least, I wouldn't rule it out. Literally every action you do online, be it playing multiplayer or surfing the web, could be researched by the biggest online platforms and spy agencies in the world.

Did you know that Google knows about everything you search for?
Did you know that Google can see everything you do if you use Chrome?
Did you know that Facebook can see what you do if you do not log off when you're a Google Chrome user?

I could go on and it simply doesn't end. Welcome to the world we're living in today!

adding:

did you know that Google has been stealing your voice data recorded from your Gmail account on a daily basis?

did you know that Google has colluded with the feds in the past and turned over your personal data to the US Government if requested?

did you know that Google is still colluding with Uncle Sam in turning over your personal data to the US Government if requested?

• Andreas likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users