» «
Photo

The most Iconic cartoon of the 1990's

50 replies to this topic
milkmansun
  • milkmansun

Detective

• Members

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:00 PM Edited by milkmansun, 06 January 2014 - 09:03 PM.

Theres so many.. Well as the word is iconic than maybe indeed Simpsons, rugrats or every other 90s CN show. But to me, the best cartoon series ever made, not only 90s, EVER, has to be BTAS or Batman: the animated series. The gritty and dark atmosphere of the series is like nothing i have ever seen anywhere else. That is the true 90s feel, watching this maybe late at night....it was like watching something unforbidden. It was just so adult like. And then there was the Danny Elfman music from the Burton Batman films, a little redone but it was just epic.
 www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5nB2OJnCko

That song wasn't supposed to be in the show. Of course, as we know, the song was written by Danny Elfman for the movie. Neither Elfman or Bruce Timm(the main creative force behind the show) wanted it to be in the Animated Series, but at the last minute Fox got the rights and made them use it for the opening. Which is why you don't hear the song during episodes. This is the song that they were going to use, and lives on as Batman's theme during episodes...

youtu.be/GufAHzhNcS8 

If we are talking about the BTAS's music, god damn that show had the best theme and score... 

Here is the best most episode in that series and with great score....

I had goose bumps when i first watched that episode... coz of the music...

Failure
  • Failure

Gone for now.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:43 PM Edited by elanman, 07 January 2014 - 05:49 PM.

Recess, Lloyd in Space, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life...the list goes on. We really were privileged to have such great cartoons back in the 90s compared to the visual tripe kids watch nowadays.

Not a cartoon (not even in the 90s), but I loved Big Wolf on Campus as a kid:

Camp and cheesy as f*ck, but still better than what kids watch now.

As Yenik says, the Simpsons had a huge impact on the cartoon industry as a whole and brought the genre of adult cartoons (in its modern form) into fruition. There were some great episodes too, but they've been sadly eclipsed by the horrendous, childish episodes released in recent years.

Nah Tso Gud
  • Nah Tso Gud

SuperHonky

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:19 AM Edited by Nah Tso Gud, 17 January 2014 - 07:30 AM.

Alright people. If you liked Doug, definitely one of my personal favorites from back in the day, you should absolutely LOVE this.. One thing you would for surely remember from that show is it's interesting sound effects - this is a panel that includes the guys behind them. It also has most of all the characters from the show including Billy West, who also voices Fry on Futurama and both Ren and Stimpy ( which he does a little bit of as well on this panel. )

http://www.youtube.c...q7ZDy6co#t=4659

I couldn't just post the vid, because I wanted to goto a specific time :\ 

The "Killer Tofu" segment is a little bit off, they couldn't get in the same key hah... 

This whole thing is almost 3 hours long, and it features a ton of characters from the classic Nick shows - Salute Your Shorts etc. I think the Doug portion alone is almost 40 minutes and is easily the best of the whole show.

Beanee
  • Beanee

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

Beavis and butthead, ren and stimpy, the tick, biker mice from mars, transformers, Simpson's, johnny bravo, rugrats, tmnt..

.. The list goes on and on!

Viper9502
  • Viper9502

仁侠団体

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:41 PM Edited by Viper9502, 01 February 2014 - 05:19 PM.

Wow, so many memories...I've forgotten most of those cartoons even existed let alone how far back their respective series may have begun. Besides what has already been listed I would say Pokemon and Yugioh. Digimon was very popular though, I didn't really care for it...Besides that there was Daria which as a child was just ignorant and seen the show as boring. However, after seeing some links surfacing on the net I think that show looks like it was/is hilarious!

• RiaJay21 likes this

evh5150vanhalen
  • evh5150vanhalen

The gypsy modeler

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

Bonkers, goof troop, darkwing duck, tail spin, gummi bears, smurfs, muppet babies, johnny bravo, garfield.. Man what ever happened to good cartoons, all this new junk is, well junk. lol

Danz.
  • Danz.

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:02 PM Edited by Danz., 06 February 2014 - 08:07 PM.

The Simpsons is certanly the most iconic cartoon of the 90's. But I hate Western Animation. Seriously, American Dad, Family Guy, Simpsons... couldn't you Americans be more creative and make a show that actually has a plot or a story that features an introduction, a development and a conclusion?

Is it hard to make animated shows for adults which are not based only in humour or sex?

Dboi 420
  • Dboi 420

Playground Predator

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:54 AM Edited by DestructoBoi420_2.0, 07 February 2014 - 12:55 AM.

... be more creative and make a show that actually has a plot or a story that features an introduction, a development and a conclusion?

Is it hard to make animated shows for adults which are not based only in humour or sex?

You should check out Rick and Morty. :^:

Also, The Simpsons was iconic in the 90's, not so much anymore.

I would say Beavis and Butthead.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

Digimon, Sailor Moon, and The Simpsons were my top three cartoons of my childhood, with honorable mentions to Thomas The Tank Engine when I was really young and King of the Hill as well.

Melchior
  • Melchior

• The Connection
  • Vietnam

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

I want to say Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I know objectively I have to say: The Simpsons. As a cultural phenomenon, it rivals The Beatles, and in my opinion, The Simpsons are more notable because they were entirely fresh and original and didn't just ride the tide of whatever cultural trend was seeping into their art form at the time, unlike a certain group of Scousers. The Simpsons were so big that if you're talking to someone your age, you can reference a moment on the show and they'll know exactly what you mean.

• Failure, Danz. and CatDog96 like this

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

All I remember is Batman TAS. Spider-Man TAS, TMNT and some odd stuff here and there.

phunkism
  • phunkism

Heaven

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Dragon Ball Z, best ever

Peregrin Brandytook
  • Peregrin Brandytook

One Ring to rule them all.

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:52 PM

rugrats or hey arnold come to mind.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

Love For Sale

• The Lost MC
  • Unknown

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:55 AM

Batman and Superman were good, i used to watch those all the time. still have fond memories of Dragon Ball Z, stuff on Nickelodeon like Hey Arnold was good. i was also a huge Disney fan, the old stuff was so f*cking good. Pinocchio for example, although that movie is from like 1940 lmfao.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:04 AM Edited by gtamann123, 03 March 2014 - 04:05 AM.

Well for me its Arthur. But I would say in terms of cultural impact and lasting legacy hands down its the Simpsons. It basically started an entire genre.

Omnia sunt Communia
  • Omnia sunt Communia

Tierra Y Libertad

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:44 AM

For me it was definietly the X-Men cartoon, or basically anything that was on Cartoon Network or FOX Kids.

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

for me it was the simpsons.

I had the same hair, skate board and I liked to show my booty.

plus my dad choked me

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

Had a nostalgia trip earlier today, and remembered this show.

I'll give you all a hint.

I.

I. AM.

I. AM. IRONMAN.

Zepren
  • Zepren

Worldbreaker

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

tumblr_mukvemhSDx1rhvp4vo1_400.gif

From the late 90s to early 00s, DBZ was the only show I watched religiously as a kid.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • Scotland
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Gargoyles:

X-MEN:

OH NO
  • OH NO

Cyclop have 9 years

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:40 AM

Simpsons is such an obvious winner it should be precluded from any discussion really. If you were just talking early to mid 90s tho beavis and butthead takes it.

Anyone remember dr.katz.?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users