Did the ending A and B ruin the story? *Spoilers.. I guess*

22 replies to this topic
SideburnGuru
  • SideburnGuru

He'll be a god to them.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

I don't get it. I recently played through the story again, repeating all the missions. I don't get it. 

Why the hell would R* add that chocie for people to make it? Because now, not only will it effect not seeing the two stronger characters in the story, Micheal and Trevor, but it just kinda made no sense.

They missed the oppritunity to make Franklin important. The whole game, Franklin is learning about how to not screw over friends. How to take chances, to be loyal. It seems as though it developed in the mission "Lamar down" when he does take risks to save his friend. 

So why in the hell would it make sense for him to just go out and kill two people who both somewhat made his life better for him after all the lessons he learned?

In reality, this makes Franklin a weaker character and spits on the story before hand. On that note, the deaths are just as stupid. Killing Micheal's ending seems rushed, and killing Trevor makes Micheal seem like an even bigger villain, and the chemistry between Franklin and Micheal just gets ruined.

None of it makes sense to me. Why would they do it? Makes even more sense that they should just officialy say "ENDING C IS CANNON". Why? Because it ties the story together how it SHOULD be.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

A and B definitely don't feel right.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

What do you mean cannon like a cannonball? I dont get how ending c can be a canonball

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

it's dark in some places, but sunny everywhere else

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

I think Rockstar included Ending A and B for players who wanted to have that choice, but everybody knows that Ending C is canon to the story (as Rockstar even created an artwork called "The Trunk"). 

Although, I felt that the ending C was rushed. Killing every villian off in one mission felt like it wasn't Rockstar's style. 

grasseyeball
  • grasseyeball

Man of Business

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I recently did A and B on mission replay just to see what the fuss is about. Ending A feels more right than ending B. B made me feel actual guilt lol. Both options don't really feel like endings and are very anti climactic IMO

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Although, I felt that the ending C was rushed. Killing every villian off in one mission felt like it wasn't Rockstar's style. 

It certainly was too easy. In other GTA's you had to kill some guards before going to main target. Here, they simply kill all 3 guys and kidnap Devin from his house who was protected by like... 6 soldiers?

I liked the Merryweather/FIB foundry fight though, but it was kinda pointless to fight them all so Michael and Trevor can be friends again.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

I wouldn't go as far to say the ending ruined the whole game, but it surely was a disappointment and a huge shock. The ending is also in comparison to a movie from the 1980s, the similar endings.

Hardcore Savage
  • Hardcore Savage

Realest nigga on the forum tho

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

Franklin could have been a side-character and it would have had no real effect on the storyline. If anyone should have died at the end of the game, it should have been Franklin or Trevor. Realistically, Michael would have made it out in the end. He was one step ahead of everyone other than the F.I.B.

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Tech Knight

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:52 PM Edited by TheTechPoTaToCHIP, 21 December 2013 - 10:52 PM.

What do you mean cannon like a cannonball? I dont get how ending c can be a canonball

Either your a troll or you legitimately dont know what cannon means,

ether I am a self entitled know it all that has nothing else better to do so might as well explain what it means.

Cannon simply means that this event is the actual part of the story, like for example there are 2 branching paths in the story, on actually officially happened and the other is just an alternate that didnt actually happen.

the one that officially happened is the cannon one :D

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

20% Skill, 80% Fear

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

ether I am a self entitled know it all that has nothing else better to do so might as well explain what it means.

Cannon simply means that this event is the actual part of the story, like for example there are 2 branching paths in the story, on actually officially happened and the other is just an alternate that didnt actually happen.

The word you're looking for is canon.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

Ending A makes sense because Franklin saw how cold Trevor could be to friends if he chose to be (e.g. see the beginning of Fresh Meat) and Ending B makes sense because Franklin heard how cold Michael could be to his friends (e.g. see the end of Fresh Meat). 

For me, Ending B was the most interesting, but Ending C was the most fun, and not only felt like a traditional last mission, but also used the character-switching mechanic in a great way.

SideburnGuru
  • SideburnGuru

He'll be a god to them.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

Ending A makes sense because Franklin saw how cold Trevor could be to friends if he chose to be (e.g. see the beginning of Fresh Meat) and Ending B makes sense because Franklin heard how cold Michael could be to his friends (e.g. see the end of Fresh Meat). 

For me, Ending B was the most interesting, but Ending C was the most fun, and not only felt like a traditional last mission, but also used the character-switching mechanic in a great way.

But wouldn't the life lesson be to see how they could come back though? How he returns to save Micheal, and how Micheal still tries to care about Trevor. 

I feel like Ending C went over the lesson of the game. It showed Franklin had learn to take charge. It made Franklin a stronger character.

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Unfortunately it seems some sort of multiple ending is mandatory in games nowdays. Personally, I hate that trend. There should be a fixed story and that's it. At least in games like this one.

Even more open games like Elder Scrolls still maintain a simple and straightforward story.. you have the villain, and you kill him. No need to have choices where you don't even deal with the antagonists or whatever. Just makes that path of the story incomplete and doesn't let the fans have one cannon.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

But wouldn't the life lesson be to see how they could come back though? How he returns to save Micheal, and how Micheal still tries to care about Trevor. 

Both this and what I said are possible interpretations, the writing is good enough to allow that.  My point was to show that endings A and B could be justified as things Franklin would decide to do.

I feel like Ending C went over the lesson of the game. It showed Franklin had learn to take charge. It made Franklin a stronger character.

All the endings show Franklin was willing to take charge (which he had already begun to do during the early Devin Weston missions): for example, both endings A and B show that Michael really wanted to kill Trevor, but he couldn't bring himself to do it on his own.  Ending C allowed for another way to resolve their animosity.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

So what if the one of the major story points was about Franklin becoming more loyal to friends? The entire point of the story in IV was about forgiviness, yet most of you are deadset on the fact that Revenge is canon.

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Soldier

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

So what if the one of the major story points was about Franklin becoming more loyal to friends? The entire point of the story in IV was about forgiviness, yet most of you are deadset on the fact that Revenge is canon.

Well, forgiving a guy who can do no harm to you is ok, but forgiving a guy who was a threat to you and would obviously try to betray you as soon as possible is just dumb. That's like if there was a "take Tenpenny to the hospital" option in the end of SA.

• Cutter De Blanc likes this

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

Wait what do you mean branching like a tree? Is that what ending B is, you kill a tree. Im glad i picked C

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:38 AM

A made sense, Trevor's crazy antics fit when Michael and Trev were younger but enough is e-f*cking-nough. Human stew? That's my limit. I know that now.

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

Well, forgiving a guy who can do no harm to you is ok, but forgiving a guy who was a threat to you and would obviously try to betray you as soon as possible is just dumb. That's like if there was a "take Tenpenny to the hospital" option in the end of SA.
Yet story-wise, Deal is the one that fits with the tone and feel of the story better.
The fact I'm trying to prove is that if you're deadset on their being a canon ending, you simply can't base it off what fits with the overall tone of the story. You have to take into account what decision fits best with the character.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:07 AM Edited by Official General, 22 December 2013 - 03:08 AM.

For me, the ending that made sense the most was one the where Franklin kills Trevor and that is the one I chose. Trevor was just too crazy, destructive and out of control, and in a real-life situation like that, it is most likely his cohorts would consider him a major liability and decide to have him killed. 

It felt so good to finally finish off that fool. 

SideburnGuru
  • SideburnGuru

He'll be a god to them.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

Still never understood the Trevor is over the top arguments, when ti's more showing how mentally unstable he is, if anything. I really enjoyed the character. 

I still feel as though more of a defense would still fall in with Choice C. More in depth reasoning?

Franklin through out the game, gains help from both characters in a way. He knows that Trevor trusts him, and that he's dedicated to his friends until they f*ck him over. Franklin also learns that they still have the capability to be one hell of a team, and make a name for himself. Something Franklin on numerous occasions has wanted to do. 

If anything, he was taught that Micheal lost alot of things, but gained a nice family life by siding with the government. In which case, the other ending that sadly would've made sense would've been to take out both Micheal AND Trevor, but that wasn't included. 

In consideration though, Franklin learned alot about loyalty, and taking risks. Lamar's repeated lesson was to stay close to your friends, and have their back. 

To me? Franklin saying going with a death wish, and fighting with his new allies would've been a better send off then cheaply taking out one, and that being it. Micheal was over the top, and nearly told off Franklin. Neither ending really kinda worked for an "ending".  

I feel like having the trio having taken down that much of a number game, truly shows their loyalty and how far they come from wanting to kill each other, to that. 

Especially since after the fact if you have Micheal hang out with Trevor, you can get dialouge on how Micheal and Trevor both feel their actions were a bit stupid, and they apologize. 

Shadowfennekin
  • Shadowfennekin

Proud Saints Row and Pokemon Fanboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

I think Rockstar included Ending A and B for players who wanted to have that choice, but everybody knows that Ending C is canon to the story (as Rockstar even created an artwork called "The Trunk"). 

I wanted to kill Franklin how come I didn't get that?

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

I wanted to kill Franklin how come I didn't get that?

Because he's

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users