» «
Photo

Let's Talk About Tourette Syndrome

21 replies to this topic
John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:33 PM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 20 December 2013 - 09:41 PM.

So I'm not long finished watching a documentary on YouTube revolving around this Scottish chap who unfortunately has the Tourette Syndrome disease (can it be considered a disease? I dunno..).

Anyway, this doc had some extremely hilarious moments, which I guess would be a given when taking into account the nature of its content, but there were parts where the guy was literally in tears because of how his condition has ruined his life.

Nevertheless, I couldn't help but think I'd love to go out for a drink with this guy. Sure, we'd probably end up embroiled in a brawl of some sorts with others as a result of his tics, but dam, it would be worth it just for the sheer entertainment. Should I feel guilty for feeling this way? I mean, I laugh at this stuff the same way I would a comedian, not in some kind of mocking-their-disability manner.

So what are your thoughts? Do you happen to know anyone with the "disease"? Do you perhaps have some minor tics yourself?

Here's a highlights reel of the documentary: 2:35 onwards is the funniest part for me!

Caution: May induce split sides.

Also: yes, yes, that's not somebody with tourette's...that's just a typical Scottish person. Haha, extremely funny.... :lol: ... :sui:

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

I remember watching a clip from this (below), where some chick keeps yelling out ni**er every few minutes.

The fact that it "develops" later in childhood and you seem to say nothing but swear words, I'm starting to think that it's faked for attention. For the most part, "tourettes" could just be some kind of prolonged habit. I remember when I was in 6th/7th grade, I had some really bad habit of twitching my eyebrows, but now I don't anymore. However, as far as the "cussing tourettes" goes. I think it's either fake or blown way out of proportion, much like autism.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Yeah, I remember watching that doc a while back, and remember also thinking that that "ni**er girl" was just pulling that sh*t too; who knows. But I have to dispute your belief that it's a condition you're born with. One of the guys in the doc I just watched (the guy at 2:35 I mentioned) was also a "late bloomer", and he explains how it just started with a bizzare and random tic.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, I remember watching that doc a while back, and remember also thinking that that "ni**er girl" was just pulling that sh*t too; who knows. But I have to dispute your belief that it's a condition you're born with. One of the guys in the doc I just watched (the guy at 2:35 I mentioned) was also a "late bloomer", and he explains how it just started with a bizzare and random tic.

I said that it usually doesn't come with you when you're born:

The fact that it "develops" later in childhood

Plus, think about these kids who spaz out with swear words. Assuming tourettes (in this case, yelling ni**erS in public) is hardwired in the brain as a tic, then what would they say if they were never exposed to swear words? Do people with tourettes yell out swear words in countries where swearing is the norm, say the Netherlands?

I'm beginning to think that tourettes is one big joke to justify one's stupidity and/or garner attention.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thank you for teaching us that autism isn't real.

You truly are a bastion of compassion and humanity, aren't you?

• John Smith likes this

Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:40 PM Edited by Nipperkins, 20 December 2013 - 10:41 PM.

Tourette's isn't real. Much like homosexuality and poverty.  

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

I'm starting to think that, as mentioned above, Tourettes is an excuse to justify some disturbing inner-urge to yell out slurs in public.

Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

I'm starting to think that, as mentioned above, Tourettes is an excuse to justify some disturbing inner-urge to yell out slurs in public.

Just like poverty is an excuse not to have any money!

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

It's not. I've known a few people with Tourette's and they have no control over it it seems. We'd be talking and they'd have their tic happen throughout the conversation.

• John Smith likes this

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

For those saying it's fake, you're the ones full of sh*t. If you think it's just people shouting random cuss words for attention, you couldn't be more wrong. It's not limited to verbal tics, some people make gestures, twitch or squirm. It's very real and some of the special ed kids I helped out in high school were rather self-conscious and embarrassed about it.
  • RedDagger likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Just like poverty is an excuse not to have any money!

And supporting Manchester United is an excuse to celebrate!  :pp  

Failure
  • Failure

And I'll whisper "no".

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

I said that it usually doesn't come with you when you're born:

The fact that it "develops" later in childhood

Plus, think about these kids who spaz out with swear words. Assuming tourettes (in this case, yelling ni**erS in public) is hardwired in the brain as a tic, then what would they say if they were never exposed to swear words? Do people with tourettes yell out swear words in countries where swearing is the norm, say the Netherlands?

I'm beginning to think that tourettes is one big joke to justify one's stupidity and/or garner attention.

Well, simply put, it isn't.

Some kids who have the disorder swear copiously and unthinkingly. However, a girl I used to know had the disorder in her youth and it would manifest itself as a sound, not as a coherent word. Thankfully she got over the disorder and is a confident person now.

Do you really think that these people enjoy shouting abuse at the top of their lungs? I for one think that the whole experience must be both embarrassing and degrading for sufferers.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

For those saying it's fake, you're the ones full of sh*t. If you think it's just people shouting random cuss words for attention, you couldn't be more wrong. It's not limited to verbal tics, some people make gestures, twitch or squirm. It's very real and some of the special ed kids I helped out in high school were rather self-conscious and embarrassed about it.

What astounds me; is why would anyone, other than chancing benefit scroungers, want to fake a disability in the first place? Faking tourette's certainly escapes me, when given shouting obscenities in public is anything but positive attention.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

What astounds me; is why would anyone, other than chancing benefit scroungers, want to fake a disability in the first place? Faking tourette's certainly escapes me, when given shouting obscenities in public is anything but positive attention.

Lots of people fake disorders. I read online that people who autistic are eligible to receive social security disability insurance money. I could easily fake it and swindle taxpayers out of their hard earned buck to waste away on model trains and soda pop. 

Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

Lots of people fake disorders. I read online that people who autistic are eligible to receive social security disability insurance money. I could easily fake it and swindle taxpayers out of their hard earned buck to waste away on model trains and soda pop. 

Damn, that does sound autistic.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

Damn, that does sound autistic.

Exactly. If some dude on the internet who makes sonic fanfiction and spends all his disability money on video games because of his "autism" keeping him from getting a job, then surely I can sing the same song and get a nice monthly check to put towards my layout.

Eris
  • Eris

hey bae

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Make sure you only talk to the social security agent about your love of trains and Dutch techno movies. Can't think of anything more autistic than that.

• universetwisters, I<3GTAV and Bonnano like this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

I have two tourette's stories.

I work with a guy who randomly barks like a dog.  He is generally pretty quiet about it, but sometimes he lets out a sting of woof woof woof woof  from nowhere.

There is a kid who lives in my neighborhood that used to commute on the trolley the same time as I did.  We named him Pee Pee Galeapee.  I totally miss riding the trolley with him.

My favorite Pee Pee story...sorry it needs a little set up:

I live in west Philadelphia.  My neighborhood has been going through gentrification, so the trolley now fills up with white people when you start hitting my area.  Some areas of deep west phila can still be pretty scary.

Anyway...at the very back of the trolley is a bench seat that holds 4 people.  You'll never see 4 people sharing it because that means too much 'stranger touching'.  One morning 3 very scary big ass black dudes that looked like they just got out of prison were quietly sitting there.  Next thing...in comes skinny, little, white, Pee Pee walking down the aisle and then proceeded to squeeze in the fourth seat.  I wish I could have seen it but I was sitting in the seat right in front of them.

Next thing I hear Pee Pee yell out "Sometimes I burst into tears".  One of the scary dudes leans over and says/asks "what"?  Pee Pee just responded with "nothing".

• Failure, universetwisters, I<3GTAV and 1 other like this

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:29 AM Edited by kipakolonyasi, 21 December 2013 - 03:30 AM.

not always a cuss word. in one documentary i saw, the guy said he can't help but make a "tic-tac" sound like bomb sound whenever he gets near a security when in airport. because %99 of them have ocd too, sick part in their brain immediately thinks of the most risky thing to say at current moment. then their tourettes makes them say it. i believe it. i don't think it's fake. because i have a little bit of an ocd i can understand.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

I knew a girl who barked like a dog.

Quite the spectacle I tell ya.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Helpfulness Award

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

It's not. I've known a few people with Tourette's and they have no control over it it seems. We'd be talking and they'd have their tic happen throughout the conversation.

This is UT you're talking to, who apparently has known all manner of 'weird' people but they magically conform to the stereotype of the condition and not what the condition actually is.

I feel sorry for people with Tourette's (and other conditions) as they're highly misunderstood, like people making fun of people with Tourette's by constantly swearing. Apparently they're able to change their tic and make it something less noticeable with lots of work, but never get rid of it - which really sucks.  

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

What is ... f*ck you piece-of-sh*t c*nt ..Tourette? Anal fissure! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users