Recent WW2 or Vietnam games?

14 replies to this topic
RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

After playing Sniper Elite V2 demo (planning to purchase it tomorrow or so), I whet my apetite of killing Nazis and destroying Panzers again, like in the old Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games. However, lately, most of the war games are set in the present times...

Do you guys know of recent games (not RTS and such) set in the WW2 or even Vietnam?

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Shoot me with a gun, but I'm gonna say it. Black Ops I.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingard. (2011) (76 metacritic)

Battlefield Bad Company 2.(87)

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

Shoot me with a gun, but I'm gonna say it. Black Ops I.

Napalm strike incoming to your position...

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingard. (2011) (76 metacritic)

Battlefield Bad Company 2.(87)

Red Orchestra runs Arma 2 engine, right?

I loved the first mission of Bad Company 2, but the WW2 setting limits to that mission. I know there was the Vietnam expansion for BC2; I wanted to try it out but finally I didn't buy it.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

Red Orchestra is not ArmA engine, that's Iront Front Liberation '44.

http://en.wikipedia....Liberation_1944

Red Orchestra was originally a mod for Unreal Tournament, now a standalone title.

it runs on the Unreal engine so RO would be a much better choice than Iron Front if your computer isn't a super powerhouse.

I assume you've already played Call of Duty: World at War? it's still one of the best recent WW2 games in general.

have you played Day of Defeat Source?

• RoadRunner71 likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:57 AM

Well, I might give a try to Red Orchestra.

I played, and beat, World at War years ago when it was released with a friend of mine in a mall where it was 'featured' to give a try in some consoles. We were almost kicked out by security because of it haha. Pretty cool game.

About Day of Defeat, it looks too dated.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:05 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 21 December 2013 - 06:06 AM.

you're right the Source engine is dated.

but I still fire up DoD from time to time only because it's one of the most active online communities for a WW2 game. most WW2 shooter multiplayer communities have dried up as the franchise moves on, but DoD servers still regularly fill up with real people; no bot support.

the only other recent WW2 game with any kind of decent online community I can think of is Battlefield 1943 but it's also multiplayer only. no SP campaign.

Wolfenstein 2009 is a good game but it's not traditional WW2 of course - it's got zombies and mad scientists and sh*t.

if you're familiar with the Commandos franchise, Strike Force is also a good WW2 game although slightly dated as well.

http://en.wikipedia....os_Strike_Force

Hour of Victory is ok but pretty short.
http://en.wikipedia....Hour_of_Victory

The Saboteur is an incredible game but it's not a first-person shooter and it's not really based on WW2 battles.

it's about an Irish spy working against Hitler during Nazi occupied France. it's basically Grand Theft Auto meets Assassin's Creed (climbing buildings, rooftops) but if GTA was in 1941 and all the cars had a top speed of just 60 MPH.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/The_Saboteur

Velvet Assassin is similar to The Saboteur except you play as a woman.

http://en.wikipedia....Velvet_Assassin

you might also keep an eye out for Heroes and Generals or Enemy Front coming in 2014.

http://www.heroesand...3/en/index.html

http://www.cigames.c...mes/Enemy-Front

sorry I really don't know much about Viet Nam games.

they never interested me as much as WW2.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

Battlefield Vietnam was pretty badass..

Call of Duty, COD 2, COD 3, Medal of Honor Airborne.. all good playthroughs.. I was thinking of purchasing Sniper Elite V2 myself.. I played the demo and loved it .. but not sure I want to spend $30 on it .. I'm looking for a knock off game myself just don't know what to get.. THERS SO MENANYYSSS..

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:12 AM

http://en.wikipedia...._Hell's_Highway

First thing that came to mind after Sniper Elite V2.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

BIA:HH is decent if you like to give orders to squads and what not.. which it's a bit sketchy in Hell's Highways but yeah, still a decent game.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:55 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 21 December 2013 - 12:55 PM.

Brothers in Arms looks interesting, I'll try it out if I find it.

@El_Diablo: I played a bit of Saboteur but I couldn't find it for PC either in any shop or to download. These other two games coming looks good too. Hope to see some news about it soon.

@GW: I have the same problem, I'm not really sure if I want to spend the 30 bucks it costs; I've heard the campaing is a bit short... Btw, Sniper Elite III is coming the next year. Set in Northern Africa with the fight against the Afrika Korps, apparently will have more sandbox elements.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:58 AM

Vietcong is the only Vietnam game you should play. Vietcong + Fist Alpha. Don't bother graphicswhoring about it... it's totally out of date. Though I still think the graphics give the game a certain atmosphere but I'm one of the only people who think that way. Gameplaywise/storywise Vietcong was the sh*t. Like, THA sh*t. If you hate it I cannot take you seriously on your opinions on FPS gaming to be honest.

Vanilla COD and United Offensive. Entertaining campaigns and multiplayer are still awesome (and I believe still have quite active communities/servers).

Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm: The shiznit... shamefully no Western front setting (yet?). Though it has a Pacific Campaign expansion (which is totally worth it just experiencing/participating in a Banzai charge). Tight gameplay, awesome 'realism' approach and just everything feels rock solid.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

Vietcong is the only Vietnam game you should play. Vietcong + Fist Alpha. Don't bother graphicswhoring about it... it's totally out of date. Though I still think the graphics give the game a certain atmosphere but I'm one of the only people who think that way. Gameplaywise/storywise Vietcong was the sh*t. Like, THA sh*t. If you hate it I cannot take you seriously on your opinions on FPS gaming to be honest.

Vanilla COD and United Offensive. Entertaining campaigns and multiplayer are still awesome (and I believe still have quite active communities/servers).

Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm: The shiznit... shamefully no Western front setting (yet?). Though it has a Pacific Campaign expansion (which is totally worth it just experiencing/participating in a Banzai charge). Tight gameplay, awesome 'realism' approach and just everything feels rock solid.

Holy balls. Vietcong. Man, that game is awesome. Sadly I couldn't finish it, those caves were quite a pain in the arse. BTW, this isn't a modern game, but Shellshock Nam '67 was really fun for me.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

Shellshock Nam '67 wasn't that great... but the soundtrack and the atmosphere created by the visual approach were f*cking awesome.

Developers should do more sh*t like that... Vietcong and Shellshock. Flesh it out more, add more content (although Vietcong with Fist Alpha were pretty f*cking huge) and get it developed by a big studio with the funds and graphical prowess...

Insta buy. Battlefield Bad Company 2 "Vietnam" expansion was good fun and really amazing to play. But it was just a 'small addition' (yes it was more than money's worth... but come on it left you aching for more and more).

Nuggets
  • Nuggets

SenseiKOFF

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

I recommend Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway. It's awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users