Photo

Driving in V is actually much more realistic than in IV and here's

26 replies to this topic
sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Handling: IV had great driving but it was actually somewhat exagerated and unbalanced making it fairly unrealistic if you made a sharp turn or fishtailed in IV at high speed your car would just wobble or change course slightly in V you're actually much more likely to spin out or lose control which is what would happen in real life also vehicles flip much easier although in IV they would look like they were gonna flip even when you were only turning slightly but they never actually did the only thing that is unrealistic is how you can rotate you're car in the air that is actually a pretty stupid feature IMO they could have made it so you can get out and flip it by hand too but atleast its convenient and you can avoid this by just letting go of the left analogue so I'm not complaining.

Crashing/Damage: Ever notice in IV how you're vehicle always seemed to have more weight and be more resiliant than everyone elses? This isn't the case anymore in V you really feel the impact now not to mention car crashes can f*** you up pretty bad now and even kill you instantly if you're going fast enough also cars actually much weaker now in terms of body damage a single head on or even rear end collision can f*** up the suspension and make a car pretty much undrivable now where as in V you could take about 3 or 4 high speed crashes before your car would smoke and eventually blow up they take a lot more to blow up in V but it would likely be mangled to hell before you even got it to that point I like the new damage and handling personally I think it makes it feel much more realistic and adds more of a challenge to the game I think we all just needed to get used to it I was one of the people complaining about it at first then I played IV again and realized how much the physics SUCKED compared to V.
  • Midnightz, Anzand17 and Militia like this

Militia
  • Militia

Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Honestly, I agree with you.  I am sure, though, tons will disagree with you as the hordes of people disagree in the "Driving Debate" thread.

Luuk'
  • Luuk'

Sup

• Members
  • Nigeria

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Yup, handling was a nightmare in IV.

• mikeinthahouse and Militia like this

Benefactor69
  • Benefactor69

The Truth Is Out There

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Yup, handling was a nightmare in IV.

No your just a bad driver!!

I don't know why everyone liked IV's so much, all the cars wobbled and rolled over. I drove over a curb and my car did a backflip.

K-Malo94
  • K-Malo94

Latin Thug

• Members
  • Puerto-Rico

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:23 PM

The car damage in IV was strange it always looked more warped than anything it looks a little better in V

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:47 PM

Handling: IV had great driving but it was actually somewhat exagerated and unbalanced making it fairly unrealistic if you made a sharp turn or fishtailed in IV at high speed your car would just wobble or change course slightly in V you're actually much more likely to spin out or lose control which is what would happen in real life also vehicles flip much easier although in IV they would look like they were gonna flip even when you were only turning slightly but they never actually did the only thing that is unrealistic is how you can rotate you're car in the air that is actually a pretty stupid feature IMO they could have made it so you can get out and flip it by hand too but atleast its convenient and you can avoid this by just letting go of the left analogue so I'm not complaining.

Crashing/Damage: Ever notice in IV how you're vehicle always seemed to have more weight and be more resiliant than everyone elses? This isn't the case anymore in V you really feel the impact now not to mention car crashes can f*** you up pretty bad now and even kill you instantly if you're going fast enough also cars actually much weaker now in terms of body damage a single head on or even rear end collision can f*** up the suspension and make a car pretty much undrivable now where as in V you could take about 3 or 4 high speed crashes before your car would smoke and eventually blow up they take a lot more to blow up in V but it would likely be mangled to hell before you even got it to that point I like the new damage and handling personally I think it makes it feel much more realistic and adds more of a challenge to the game I think we all just needed to get used to it I was one of the people complaining about it at first then I played IV again and realized how much the physics SUCKED compared to V.

Hmm.. I'm not so sure. Handling in V is too dramatic. If I'm driving a slow car, I can make an extreme right turn. In IV, I found it perfect. Whilst driving a car and you need to turn, it is all about timing, and GTA IV delivered that perfectly. I just really dislike the car handling in V. If I tap left or right gently, the car will just go out of control.

• lol232 likes this

am30
  • am30

Boss

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Honestly, I agree with you.  I am sure, though, tons will disagree with you as the hordes of people disagree in the "Driving Debate" thread.

Those without driving licences will disagree.  Vehicle driving in V is definately more realistic than in IV.  I've seen less rocking in a ship in a storm than when some of the cars in IV go round a corner!

• Militia likes this

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

The only people who complain about IV's driving are people who suck at it. Jeez, it's been said over and over again and it still doesn't get into anyone's head. 

DrDetroit
  • DrDetroit

The Center of the Universe.

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:23 PM Edited by DrDetroit, 20 December 2013 - 11:23 PM.

My $0.02 worth;

Body roll and the inertia in IV defiantly felt more "realistic" in many ways, especially with the old boats in IV and larger sedans.  Too much roll and "looseness" in the sport and  super cars though.  

Feels a bit arcady in V still, but I dig it and I have fun with it.

Good day,

DrDetroit 

• lol232 likes this

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:29 PM Edited by Cyper, 21 December 2013 - 08:21 AM.

The handling in GTA V is indeed much more realistic.

You can land flat on the roof, chill out, then steer left or right and the car will turn around back on its wheels. You can do jumps and fly like if your car was made of plastic. Sportscars handles like offroad vehicles offroad. Crashing your vehicle barely affect it's condition unless you do it many times - even at high speed. Not much penalty for crashing at all. Really heavy vehicles doesn't have much sense of weight to them. You could for instance take a patriot in front of a blista and you will not be able to move it. You wheels will be spinning. Other vehicles have crazy acceleration. It's barely possible to do wheelies with motorcycles.  You can use motorcycles and mopeds to ram other vehicle. You can do a huge jump and flip your car like a coin in the air. It takes no skill or effort, like the driving itself. But my favorite must be crashing with a patriot into another car and boom - the car I crash into explodes and so do I. Driving in general does not take much skills at all in GTA V.

GTA IV's driving wasn't perfect.

But damn, GTA V, Dat physics. It's certainly not more realistic than in GTA IV.

• DrDetroit likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:37 PM Edited by boxmonster, 20 December 2013 - 11:38 PM.

Those without driving licences will disagree.  Vehicle driving in V is definately more realistic than in IV.  I've seen less rocking in a ship in a storm than when some of the cars in IV go round a corner!

GTA IV has exaggerated body roll and suspension whilst V has cars that are glued to the ground and magically pivot from the center when steering. I don't know how a person with a license would think that things grounded in reality and exaggerated are less realistic than things that are totally made up that defy the laws of physics.

Either way you look at it, you have to admit the physics algorithms were simplified for V to compensate for the graphics improvement. How anyone can see that as a gameplay improvement, I'll never know. People were calling driving in other games (cough, cough, Watch Dogs) inferior to the GTA series before GTA V was released, now no one dares make those arguments, I think that says a lot.

• sagsf420 likes this

sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

Just for the record I wasn't complaining about IV's driving either but I definately think it's improved in V and weather you like it or not more realistic atleast compared to about 95% of actual RACING games IMO even if you tried to drive a car normal in IV it would handle all funky and boatlike and really not like a car at all I think with IV they tried to push the realism too far and it actually made it pretty unrealistic with V they toned the physics down a bit and now it feels much more realistic and fun to drive you want to see "arcady" driving? Go play saints row now there's a game with pretty much NO physics what so ever it was pretty fun for about 15 minutes just f***ing around but after that I pretty much put it away and never played it again gta is where its at.
  • Militia likes this

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

I an I

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:41 PM

It's one thing to say that V's driving is better because you prefer it, but it's another to say that it is more realistic than IV's. Neither are realistic to begin with, however, IV's is way closer to reality than V's will ever be (that is until it comes to the PC). It really isn't debatable. 

mikeinthahouse
  • mikeinthahouse

Rockford Hills Resident

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

Going back to IV it felt like I was driving a...slippery snake. Yup. 

lol232
  • lol232

We happy?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:50 PM Edited by lol232, 20 December 2013 - 11:51 PM.

You can land flat on the roof, chill out, then steer left or right and the car will turn around back on its wheels. You can do jumps and fly like if your car was made of plastic. Sportscars handles like offroad vehicles offroad. Crashing your vehicle barely affect it's condition unless you do it many times - even at high speed. Not much penalty for crashing at all. Really heavy vehicles doesn't have much sense of weight to them. You could for instance take a patriot in front of a blista and you will not be able to move it. You wheels will be spinning. Other vehicles have crazy acceleration. It's barely possible to do wheelies with motorcycles.  You can use motorcycles and mopeds to ram other vehicle. You can do a huge jump and flip your car like a coin in the air. It takes no skill or effort, like the driving itself. But my favorite must be crashing with a patriot into another car and boom - the car I crash into explodes and so do I. Driving in general does not take much skills at all in GTA V.

But damn, GTA V, Dat physics.

Dat physics? What do you mean? The damage looks crappy, in real life it's all about timing, 100% of the people who think that GTA V has more realistic handling never drove a car in real life. I'm pretty positive on. If not 100, then 99.

For me, going back to IV it felt natural again.

sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

In SOME ways yes the driving was more realistic in IV but overall I honestly feel that it is overall more realistic in V the only thing that was necissarily less realistic is how you pointed out it felt like cars were somewhat glued to the ground this it may not have been like that in IV but it was also exagerrated and exagerrated doesn't necissarily mean "realistic" it was great for the time but I gotta go with V for physics and yes there are limitations especially with a game this big so how they managed to accomplish this is pretty impressive you gotta give em that.
I have driven a car in real life actually and V feels more spot on with that than IV did remember cars handle different in REAL life too so it's a matter of opinion here.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:00 AM

I like both. f*ck me, right ?

sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

I think some of these people have something wrong with their game...

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

I an I

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

But damn, GTA V, Dat physics.

Dat physics? What do you mean? The damage looks crappy, in real life it's all about timing, 100% of the people who think that GTA V has more realistic handling never drove a car in real life. I'm pretty positive on. If not 100, then 99.

For me, going back to IV it felt natural again.

I think he means the lack of them by "dat physics". I could be misinterpreting it though. 

sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

If you really think the bizzare warped looking damage and how your car magically becomes a tank when you get in it is more realistic than stick to IV but unless you have something wrong with your game causing cars not to take damage I don't know how you could think otherwise one crash can total your car now ffs that's not more realistic? Some cars seem to be very strong for some reason like the baller ect so you must be driving one of those get in a different car and I bet you'll all stop complaining.

Anzand17
  • Anzand17

V.I.P

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

What the f*ck? I agree with op but what the hell. The whole first month and more people were complaining st how arcade like V's driving was and that they miss IV'S and now everybody is like " OMG LOL V IS MORE REALIZTICS IV HANDLING SUCKED LULZ!" Make up your mind guys.

• sagsf420 likes this

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

The best way to describe the driving for IV was that it was exaggerated whereas in V it felt like it was rushed. Not perfect in both. But IV's DEFINITELY is more realistic.

• Ermacs likes this

sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

I think people just realized it was better after going back and playing IV it is a matter of opinion in the end though some may still prefer IV's driving but I still feel overall V is more realistic a little more like IV and it would have been perfect but IV was definately exagerrated wheras V is more spot on atleast IMO.
  • Anzand17 likes this

sagsf420
  • sagsf420

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

Don't forget the limitations here look at GRID amazing physics probably the best I've ever seen in any driving game but let's not forget that it doesn't take place on a massive highly detailed map that can take up to 15 minutes to drive across I think they did a pretty good job considering the fact I have yet to have it lag on me in the 3 months I've been playing it.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Yeah, we happy

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

I'm sorry, but any claim of GTA V's driving being realistic goes out of the window when cars can be physically controlled in the air and standard muscle cars handle like Ferraris

It's no where close to being realistic. I don't see anything wrong with preferring the physics to GTA IV, but to say they're more realistic makes me lol.

GTA IV wasn't very realistic either, but it done a better job of basic driving characteristics than GTA V. The concept of brake modulation in GTA V is non-existent as most if the time you don't even need a brake.

In GTA IV approaching corners required more precision and pre-planning. People complain about spinning out in GTA IV when it's really their own fault. Not the physics.

However not all is lost. GTA V has some of the most basic, hand holding physics in an open world game. Even school kids can be like Michael Schumacher now because the physics allow it.
  • namor, Ermacs, Tikhung and 1 other like this

am30
  • am30

Boss

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

GTA IV has exaggerated body roll and suspension whilst V has cars that are glued to the ground and magically pivot from the center when steering. I don't know how a person with a license would think that things grounded in reality and exaggerated are less realistic than things that are totally made up that defy the laws of physics.

Either way you look at it, you have to admit the physics algorithms were simplified for V to compensate for the graphics improvement. How anyone can see that as a gameplay improvement, I'll never know. People were calling driving in other games (cough, cough, Watch Dogs) inferior to the GTA series before GTA V was released, now no one dares make those arguments, I think that says a lot.

I never said it was grounded in reality.

I don't have to admit anything, I prefer driving in V compared to IV.  Driving most cars in IV was like dodgems, especially if you were in a chase.  V is much more realistic by comparision than IV.  I have driven many a different type of motor vehicle  (I won't say cars 'cos I driven a lot more than just them) and I have never experienced anything like the car driving in IV, even if the most crappy and abused of 4x4's!  But this is only a game, it's not meant to be realistic.

As for Watch Dogs, I can't comment.  Never played it and it'll likely be a long time until I do unless it comes out on 360.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

I'm sorry, but any claim of GTA V's driving being realistic goes out of the window when cars can be physically controlled in the air and standard muscle cars handle like Ferraris

It's no where close to being realistic. I don't see anything wrong with preferring the physics to GTA IV, but to say they're more realistic makes me lol.

GTA IV wasn't very realistic either, but it done a better job of basic driving characteristics than GTA V. The concept of brake modulation in GTA V is non-existent as most if the time you don't even need a brake.

In GTA IV approaching corners required more precision and pre-planning. People complain about spinning out in GTA IV when it's really their own fault. Not the physics.

However not all is lost. GTA V has some of the most basic, hand holding physics in an open world game. Even school kids can be like Michael Schumacher now because the physics allow it.

:^:  :^:  - Double thumbs up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users