Is GTA IV nostalgic now?

36 replies to this topic
Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I went on GTA 4 for a while today, the first time I have since the release of GTA 5 and I definitely felt a sense of nostalgia when playing online. When I hopped in a black Oracle and "One Vision" by Queen came on the radio I felt something I'd never felt with this game before.

The game is holding up really well now that it can be classified as an 'older' GTA title, pushing on 6 years. The graphics are just as amazing, in fact I think the contrast between GTA 4 and GTA 5's graphics actually make the game look even nicer,

In addition to the graphics, the actual atmosphere of the game still leaves me in awe. The grittiness of Liberty City I feel is something that hasn't been emulated in any game since, and I don't know if it ever will be.

So I pose the question, is GTA 4 a nostalgic game now? The re-watching the trailers certainly makes me think I do feel a sense of nostalgia, there's definitely a new power that I haven't felt before with this game.

I think I'll definitely be playing a lot more of it...

Thoughts?

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:39 AM Edited by The Odyssey, 20 December 2013 - 11:47 AM.

6 years? Jesus Christ. 

Listening to Oxegene Pt. 4, driving down Mohawk Avenue, wreaking havoc through the airports and hospitals do bring back memories of when I first got a hold of the game. But I admit that I  get nostalgia over things quite easily. Hell, I get chills when watching the first GTA V trailer. Feels like it came out ages ago. 

• Sting4S likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

I do get good memories when I play this game. Hell when I relax and cruise, I get a flash of wonderful memories from last yeae around this time when I actually starting paying attention to the details and cars in IV. Such a wonderful time, just a year ago. I am still making good memories now especially since online in IV is nowhere near dead.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:34 PM Edited by AceKingston, 20 December 2013 - 03:35 PM.

Yeah, The excitement driving around Hove Beach the first time around cannot be experienced in any other game IMO.

• Neonic9 likes this

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

I've played this game in 2010 so hell no. I've played/been playing San Andreas and Vice City since I was 8 and 10 years old respectively so I find those to be a lot more nostalgic. 

• CapoV91 likes this

AnDReJ98
  • AnDReJ98

Gangsta

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

I first time played IV in 2009, but i just don't feel nostalgic there. As Shoumic said, i feel nostalgia for Vice City and San Andreas, since i played them when they were out. About 10 years ago. 

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:53 PM Edited by Linc., 21 December 2013 - 12:03 AM.

The thing is that nostalgia doesn't need to be relative. When I play GTA 4 I go into my own world, a world where GTA San Andreas and Vice City (and III for that matter) don't come to mind. I'm in the time and the moment, and all I can think about are the great memories I've had playing GTA 4 whether it be the darkness of singleplayer while cruising down Albany Avenue or the glamour of GTA 4 Multiplayer, blowing up Annihilators at the airport.

I have a newfound love for this game.
  • Mr_Leone, Deadly Target, Andreas and 3 others like this

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

I don't care if it's only been out for a few years, but I do think IV is nostalgic. Cruising up the freeway to the airport, from the Homebrew Cafe, on a sunny day while listening to Evil Woman by ELO is simply the greatest feeling I've ever had in a video game.

The only other GTA which emotes this much nostalgia is III (however I do still feel great playing VC). Screw the un-atmospheric San Andreas everyone seems to cream their pants over.
  • Miamivicecity, Linc., IGhostUlt and 3 others like this

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:08 AM

GTA IV on PC takes a steamy wet dump on GTA V on the consoles.

• nobum62 likes this

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

The only other GTA which emotes this much nostalgia is III (however I do still feel great playing VC). Screw the un-atmospheric San Andreas everyone seems to cream their pants over.

I've got to agree with you here. Although San Andreas is one of my favourite games of all time it certainly doesn't have a vibe that makes me feel nostalgic when I play it. I believe there are two factors in this. Firstly it may be a personal issue because I have been consistently playing it for a long time, so it doesn't remind me of a long time ago when I play it, it just reminds me of last week when i was also playing it.
Another reason I think it doesn't evoke emotion in me is the textures. The textures in San Andreas to be honest are quite terrible and bland, everything looks matte while in nostalgic games there are lots of reflections and shiny objects (i.e. Vice City and IV).

IV reminds me of a simpler time when I didn't have the stresses in life that I have now, and I think that's why it makes me feel so happy when I play it now. :)

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

Is it weird that I get nostalgic with any game I've enjoyed?
  • Tikhung likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

You'll get nostalgic with every game you played. Hell you'd probably be praising V in a few months time mark my words. A lot of people disappointed with IV at first liked it better the 2nd time around.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

You'll get nostalgic with every game you played. Hell you'd probably be praising V in a few months time mark my words. A lot of people disappointed with IV at first liked it better the 2nd time around.

I call bullsh*t on that. If you haven't enjoyed the game then you don't get nostalgia. I don't see myself really liking GTA V ever. Can't really say that I have nostalgia with GTA IV either because there has never been longer a gap more than 1.5 months between me playing it. Although I do wonder where the hell has time gone in the past 4.5 years I've played it.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Albeit I see your point, it isn't entirely true. I've played my share of rubbish games before, and Test Drive Unlimited 2 definitely takes the cake as the worst I've played. I got that game on my birthday 3 years ago. I played it for a week, got frustrated as hell, and stopped. Picked it back up that summer and unlocked Hawaii. Once I found out Hawaii was just a rubbish copy and paste of the one from the first game but with worse buildings, I stopped. Picked it back up in May 2012 and gave it a long try but it failed. The game felt humorously flawed and I just gave up when I spent my hard earned cash on an overpriced Ferrari 306 Quattrovale-or somin' and found out it drove like sh*t.

I'd have more fun sh*tting and then using that sh*t to paint a picture, than I would playing TDU 2. I want to break the disc in half and through the pieces over a cliff and into a forested abyst.

Long story short, rubbish games only make me mad. :lol: :^:

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

This game is pretty nostalgic to me now, all those memories of me and my friends just all out wreaking havoc and dicking around. Good times...

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

The good old day's of not running around trying to make money to buy thing's that really have no use , of blowing up some guy in a car and not getting a 'I'M A BAD BOY" title.

• Linc. likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

I still can't believe how much time has passed since I first grasped the PS3 Case with GTA IV inside... I definitely do feel a lot of Nostalgia for this game and it felt great playing it the other day after all of the time I spent with GTA V. I don't know about you guys but going back to it, I notice things, details, pedestrians and feelings that I never experienced first time around, GTA IV is a game I'll never forget :^:

• Linc. likes this

Chris223
  • Chris223

The Simple Gamer

• Members

Posted 21 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

I went on GTA 4 for a while today, the first time I have since the release of GTA 5 and I definitely felt a sense of nostalgia when playing online. When I hopped in a black Oracle and "One Vision" by Queen came on the radio I felt something I'd never felt with this game before.

The game is holding up really well now that it can be classified as an 'older' GTA title, pushing on 6 years. The graphics are just as amazing, in fact I think the contrast between GTA 4 and GTA 5's graphics actually make the game look even nicer,

In addition to the graphics, the actual atmosphere of the game still leaves me in awe. The grittiness of Liberty City I feel is something that hasn't been emulated in any game since, and I don't know if it ever will be.

So I pose the question, is GTA 4 a nostalgic game now? The re-watching the trailers certainly makes me think I do feel a sense of nostalgia, there's definitely a new power that I haven't felt before with this game.

I think I'll definitely be playing a lot more of it...

Thoughts?

Hope you aren't talking about the amazing graphics on Xbox because IMO GTA IV has aged HORRIBLY on Xbox.  The graphics are god awful now.

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:51 AM

The good old day's of not running around trying to make money to buy thing's that really have no use , of blowing up some guy in a car and not getting a 'I'M A BAD BOY" title.

I know man, and that's one of the reasons I'm not really a huge fan of GTA 5 Online. Whatever happened to just running around with some mates blowing sh*t up and repeatedly killing kids online? Now there's crews, paying for weapons, buying cars and so on, I miss the simplicity of GTA 4 regarding both singleplayer and multiplayer. I want to be able to do what I did in GTA 4 in GTA 5. At the least they release a "classic" mod where weapons and armor are spread all over the map for FREE and there no annoying phone calls from characters telling me to do jobs.

I still can't believe how much time has passed since I first grasped the PS3 Case with GTA IV inside... I definitely do feel a lot of Nostalgia for this game and it felt great playing it the other day after all of the time I spent with GTA V. I don't know about you guys but going back to it, I notice things, details, pedestrians and feelings that I never experienced first time around, GTA IV is a game I'll never forget :^:

I actually think GTA 4 is still more immersive than 5. The detail they put into everything still amazes me to this day. You look at the alleyways in GTA 4 and they are beautiful; dumpsters, cardboard scattered all over the ground, hobos asking for change. If you look at the alleys in GTA 5 they are actually quite bland, there's nothing really special about that and for that reason I believe a Rockstar payed a lot more attention to detail with GTA 4 than they did with GTA 5.

Now let's not forget this is a topic about GTA 4's nostalgia and not a GTA 5 bashing contest, I think GTA 5 is a fantastic game with amazing replayability but there are parts of GTA 4 that I think just still haven't been surpassed.
  • JonesyRogers likes this

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:48 AM Edited by GTA4 Niko Bellic, 24 December 2013 - 01:48 AM.

I love this game, I would say it's pretty nostalgic at this point. I remember when the game first came out thinking how incredible the next step the GTA franchise took was.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:52 AM Edited by ShadowDog94, 24 December 2013 - 10:55 AM.

Yeah, when I play it, it reminds me how disappointed I was in that game after waiting so long for it, after watching those epic trailers over and over again. I thought I was getting a masterpiece and it turned out I just got a good game instead. IV really didn't live up to the hype IMO. It's still a good game for what it is, but in no way did it have the same effect on me as Vice City or San Andreas.

Having said that, TBOGT is pretty nostalgic to me. The thing that really sealed it for me is the part at the end where Luis jumps out of the burning plane. That will always be one of the most badass moments in gaming I've ever witnessed.

Lowi
  • Lowi

Hustler

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:53 AM

when im play this game i have bad memories... sorry gta iv fanboys

JonesyRogers
  • JonesyRogers

DonnyZingFarka

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:19 AM

Damn dude, your post is a spitting image of me

I've had a lot of strong memories with the game, and well, I decided to play the online yesterday. Surprisingly, I actually found a decent game

Let me tell you this; I don't think I've ever felt such a powerful feeling of reflection and nostalgia like I did yesterday, because, wow, all of the memories with the game just came barreling down on me at once. Amazing game, this same thing happened to me with Modern Warfare 2 when I decided to play it last week

It's really crazy how memories and nostalgia of previous games work out.

But to answer your question,  yes, I can confidently say the game is a nostalgic game

JonesyRogers
  • JonesyRogers

DonnyZingFarka

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:25 AM

Agreed by the way Linc (about the simplicity)

After playing GTA V constantly for the past few months, I can definitely say that I miss the simplicity. I mean, crews? Do we seriously need that? I still don't even know how that damn thing operates.

Your "crew" should just be you and a couple of buds at the airport with annihilators just blowing up cars and people. I miss those days, and sadly, I don't think they'll ever come back.

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:26 AM

Absolutely, and it blows my mind that it feels like the game just came out 3 years ago or so, it'll always be an iconic game in the gaming industry whether people like it or not, and it's definitely better than what V has to offer (at least to me)

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:02 AM

Absolutely, and it blows my mind that it feels like the game just came out 3 years ago or so, it'll always be an iconic game in the gaming industry whether people like it or not, and it's definitely better than what V has to offer (at least to me)

I couldn't agree more. It is the icon if the PS3 and 360 generation for sure, it captured the eye of people who had never even played video games for its similarities to some of the greatest films, only this time you control the way it goes and control the way it ends.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

The more GTA IV ages the more it feels like a fine wine. Can anyone believe it'll be 6 years old in April?

I admit it shows obvious signs of age such as character movement being a bit sluggish, but overall the game just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Especially cruising playing the Vibe or Fusion.

It reminds me when games were simple yet elegant and didn't have so much focused on the online portion or a sh*tload of small DLC.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

The more GTA IV ages the more it feels like a fine wine. Can anyone believe it'll be 6 years old in April?

I admit it shows obvious signs of age such as character movement being a bit sluggish, but overall the game just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Especially cruising playing the Vibe or Fusion.

Absolutely, I mean 6 years in the making seems like only few mere moments of playing the game itself. I could say it's really old but it's a classic with a name and I'm really feeling a bit of nostalgia of the game for months.

Emmi
  • Emmi

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

GTA IV definitely shapes up to be one of my all time favorites. I would have never thought that I enjoy this game more than GTA V or San Andreas but I must say it's just like that. I admit I haven't played IV for some time now but I definitely plan to get back into this superb world of gritty Liberty City. GTA III and GTA IV, that's the two games I'm really getting nostalgic thinking of them and playing them.

Linc.
  • Linc.

16 5 5

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 January 2014 - 03:45 AM

GTA IV definitely shapes up to be one of my all time favorites. I would have never thought that I enjoy this game more than GTA V or San Andreas but I must say it's just like that. I admit I haven't played IV for some time now but I definitely plan to get back into this superb world of gritty Liberty City. GTA III and GTA IV, that's the two games I'm really getting nostalgic thinking of them and playing them.

Likewise, I think I also feel more nostalgic about Liberty City's incarnations over Vice or San Andreas. The darkness of them is what has me, Broker and Portland are amazing GTA locations in that sense, I feel they just fit the tone of their respective games perfectly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users