• Tyler

keep your chin up out there

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

Bias is an inherent aspect of journalism and anyone who claims to be unbiased is a crock. The trick is finding people who understand their bias and responsibly operate with it in mind. In the same vein, it's important for anyone looking to get an understand of current events to scan many outlets for a picture that they can round off themselves. A limited report of circumstance from one or two sources makes it all the more easy to be fooled by bad reporting, editing, or exploitative media in general.

• Otter, Irviding, RavingWithJesus and 1 other like this

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Working hard to maintain my sanity.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

^Agreed Tyler

Am I wrong? This has been measured. They ask conservatives "how do we cut spending?" and they typically say "we get rid of welfare fraud NASA and foreign aid, that's 60% of the budget right there" and generally don't believe whoever tells them that's only about .5% of the budget. "What's the biggest threat to world peace?" "Iran." Like ok. And of course my favourite "what religion is the goddamn president" "he's our Muslim'n Chief!" 

Oh really?  So I'm sure you're just about to post that link right?  You know this survey you talk about?  Right??  Because you wouldn't say that without some proof to back up the claim that ALL conservative are not informed about today's issues.  RIGHT?  I'll just wait on that, probably coming right up...

Now we were talking about how there were some biases in the 24hr news channels.  Didn't want to comment earlier about CNN/MSMBC because I didn't have MY facts together at the time.  Here is the latest numbers from last week:

http://www.adweek.co...-april-3/259959

As you can see MSNBC gets blown away by FOX, but more interesting is that they also loose (in primetime no less) to re-runs of Forensic Files on HLN.  Why is that the case?  I would argue that it is partly do to its liberal (statist, leftist, utopian, take your pick) viewpoints.  Not only that but that there isn't any opposing points of view.  So you have people with the same viewpoint agreeing with each other.  Leaving objectivity aside for the moment, that's just boring TV.  

As an aside, CNN, the supposed centerline network, also looses to HLN in primetime.  That's not a total loss because both networks are owned by the same company.  But it is kinda embarrassing that re-runs would beat your primetime programing.  Now I'll give CNN the fact that some of those were non-news specials, however when you're a news station you should probably put up news in primetime.  This has to do with the guy running the network.  Going back to the previous post, you can read how Zucker came to CNN from NBC.  When Zucker came to CNN he brought with him the idea of doing infotainment.  So light fluffy stories instead of real journalism.  That's probably why CNN is taking a nosedive, throwing in bias as a close second.  

Melchior
  • Melchior

The blood of our martyrs will water the meadows of France

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 11 April 2015 - 05:16 AM

Oh really?  So I'm sure you're just about to post that link right?  You know this survey you talk about?  Right??  Because you wouldn't say that without some proof to back up the claim that ALL conservative are not informed about today's issues.  RIGHT?  I'll just wait on that, probably coming right up...

Watching Fox News makes you less informed than people who don't even watch news, apparently. 

image.jpg

Also I think this video makes my point pretty well:

liberal (statist, leftist, utopian, take your pick) viewpoints

oh my god you have no idea what any of those words mean, please stop.

• Tyler, sivispacem, BurgerKingpeaceRingpie and 2 others like this

AiŽaŠobŽa
  • AiŽaŠobŽa

General

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:04 AM Edited by Troubadour, 13 April 2015 - 04:09 AM.

Hilary Clinton announced her run for President today and the news is reporting that Frm Maryland Gov Martin O'Maley, Frm Virgina Senator Jim Web & Joe Biden are all supposedly going to throw their hat's into the ring to try and get the democratic vote if that is true that Clinton has already basically won the democratic nomination for president and i really have no doubt she'll win against Jeb Bush & Rand Paul and blow either of them out of the water during the election.

Even though we don't vote for another president for another year and half I've already made my decision i would've voted for Hilary in 2008 if she had won the nomination.

You hear a lot of she doesn't have the balls to do the job and will put her emotions into every decision she makes but she probably has more balls than the last four presidents combined.

Right now she is leading in the polls..

Hillary Clinton: 53%

Jeb Bush 31%

Rand Paul 31%

Scott Walker 21%

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:32 PM

I realise this has nothing or little to do with anything, but I just couldn't let it slide.  Because it's hilarious.

Russian President Vladimir Putin defended 1939's Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany as Moscow's response to being isolated and having its peace efforts snubbed by Western nations.

At the close of his Sunday meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel in Moscow — a day after Russian held grand-scale celebrations of the allied victory in World War II — Putin offered a lengthy defense of the controversial agreement that led to the carving up of Eastern Europe.

"The Soviet Union made massive efforts to lay the groundwork for a collective resistance to Nazism in Germany, made repeated attempts to create an anti-fascist bloc in Europe. All of these attempts failed," Putin told journalists at a joint news conference with Merkel, according to a transcript released by the Kremlin.

"And when the Soviet Union realized that it was being left one-on-one with Hitler's Germany, it took steps to avoid a direct confrontation, and the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact was signed," Putin said.

Merkel offered a diplomatically phrased objection, telling the joint news conference that the "Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact is difficult to understand without considering the additional secret protocol. With that in mind, I think it was wrong, it was done illegally," she said, according to the Kremlin's Russian-language transcript.

The secret protocol, which accompanied what was officially presented as a non-aggression treaty, divided up the territories of Poland, Romania, the Baltic nations and Finland into German and Soviet "spheres of influence." It led to the German and Soviet invasions of Poland, and to the Soviet annexation of the three Baltic states — Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania — and parts of Romania.

Putin's defense of the pact comes after Moscow's annexation of Crimea from Ukraine last year, and amid Eastern European countries' concerns their territories could be seized next.

Poland's President Bronislaw Komorowski described this weekend's Victory Day parade in Moscow as a "demonstration of force," The New York Times reported.

Polish Foreign Minister Grzegorz Schetyna said that the end of World War II should not be celebrated in Russia because it was among the countries where it originated, the report said.

Putin's recent remarks mark a sharp about-face from his comments a few years earlier.

During a visit to Poland in 2009, Putin, then prime minister, denounced the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact as a "collusion to solve one's problems at others' expense."

"All attempts between 1934 and 1939 to pacify the Nazis by making various kinds of agreements and pacts with them, were unacceptable from the moral point of view, and from the political point of view were pointless, harmful and dangerous," Putin said in 2009 during a visit to Poland's Gdansk, according to a transcript posted on the Russian Cabinet website.

But amid Western sanctions against Moscow for its annexation of Crimea and support for pro-Russian separatists in eastern Ukraine, the Kremlin has shifted to an increasing glorification of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin and his regime's pact with Nazi Germany.

Putin said last November that the pact was not so bad.

"The Soviet Union signed a non-aggression treaty with Germany," he told a meeting with historians. "They say: Oh, this is so bad. But what's so bad about it if the Soviet Union did not want to go to war? What's so bad about it?"

Following his speech, Russia's Culture Minister Vladimir Medinsky in the run-up to this year's Victory Day celebrations praised the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact as a "colossal achievement of Stalin's diplomacy." 

https://www.themosco...kel/520513.html

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

proud "conspiracy theorist"

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:59 PM Edited by Stephan90, 12 May 2015 - 07:59 PM.

it is a real shame that our chancellor shook hands with the man who lets his soldiers killing people in the Ukraine and annexed Crimea (and lied about at first: "I don't know who the green little men are." just to confirm later that everything was planned out.). She should have put down flowers and thats it.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

Obergefreiter der Reserve

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:38 AM

it is a real shame that our chancellor shook hands with the man who lets his soldiers killing people in the Ukraine and annexed Crimea (and lied about at first: "I don't know who the green little men are." just to confirm later that everything was planned out.). She should have put down flowers and thats it.

So now you're blaiming Merkel for shaking hands with the president of Russia? Do you really think your political leaders (Lucke, Gauland, Petry or whoever is leading that mess of a party) would have acted differently if they were running this country? Not to mention that a huge junk of AfD-members and Pegida-supporters seem to be Kremlin-apologists of the highest order.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:49 PM Edited by Stephan90, 14 May 2015 - 12:55 PM.

So now you're blaiming Merkel for shaking hands with the president of Russia? Do you really think your political leaders (Lucke, Gauland, Petry or whoever is leading that mess of a party) would have acted differently if they were running this country? Not to mention that a huge junk of AfD-members and Pegida-supporters seem to be Kremlin-apologists of the highest order.

Are you apologising Merkel? The same Merkel who lied to the whole public about a no Spy treaty with the United States that never agreed with such a treaty. This was in Summer 2013 shortly before the election, would have been bad for her reelection if she had to tell the people that United States never intended to stop spying on us. The same Merkel who pumped billions of Euro into a country which is now bankrupt? The CDU is a joke of a party. probably the biggest joke because they are governing us. That makes them so dangerous.

The AfD released an official statement that declares the annexation of Crimea by Russia as illegal and and also declares any military intervention of a foreign state in Ukraine as illegal. read.

http://www.alternati...-ukraine-krise/

If anyone of AfD shows comprehension for Russia then it is his beer. Gauland will surely not be voted as one of the two new speakers in June when the number of speakers is reduced from three to two. When he was elected there was no Ukraine crisis.

the AfD have by far the best politicial positions out of any party, and i would choose them any day over the CDU or other parties.

Der_Don
  • Der_Don

Obergefreiter der Reserve

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

Are you apologising Merkel? The same Merkel who lied to the whole public about a no Spy treaty with the United States that never agreed with such a treaty. This was in Summer 2013 shortly before the election, would have been bad for her reelection if she had to tell the people that United States never intended to stop spying on us. The same Merkel who pumped billions of Euro into a country which is now bankrupt? The CDU is a joke of a party. probably the biggest joke because they are governing us. That makes them so dangerous.

The AfD released an official statement that declares the annexation of Crimea by Russia as illegal and and also declares also any military intervention of a foreign state in Ukraine as illegal. read.

if anyone of AfD shows comprehension for Russia then it is his beer. Gauland will surely not be voted as one of the two new speakers in June when the number of speakers is reduced from three to two.

the AfD have by far the best politicial positions out of any party, and i would choose any day over the CDU or other parties.

Best political positions... If the AfD were to govern this country, they would have to adjust their political positions rather sooner than later. It's all fine when you're in the opposition, telling the parties in charge how they're doing everything wrong and so on and so forth. If they ever manage to run Germany, reality will catch up with them quickly. 

And I don't apologise anyone and regarding the current BND/NSA scandal I will gladly admit that our government's actions / communication was and is utterly shambolic. You on the other hand are trying to find any little action to have a dig at Merkel or any other member of the government, as if shaking Putin's hand is an absolute no-go and as if Lucke would have acted any different. It's hilarious. Even John Kerry was shaking hands with Putin the other day. The bastard!

• Ari Gold likes this

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:23 PM Edited by Stephan90, 14 May 2015 - 02:42 PM.

The AfD released an official statement that declares the annexation of Crimea by Russia as illegal and and also declares also any military intervention of a foreign state in Ukraine as illegal. read.

if anyone of AfD shows comprehension for Russia then it is his beer. Gauland will surely not be voted as one of the two new speakers in June when the number of speakers is reduced from three to two.

the AfD have by far the best politicial positions out of any party, and i would choose any day over the CDU or other parties.

Best political positions... If the AfD were to govern this country, they would have to adjust their political positions rather sooner than later. It's all fine when you're in the opposition, telling the parties in charge how they're doing everything wrong and so on and so forth. If they ever manage to run Germany, reality will catch up with them quickly. 

And I don't apologise anyone and regarding the current BND/NSA scandal I will gladly admit that our government's actions / communication was and is utterly shambolic. You on the other hand are trying to find any little action to have a dig at Merkel or any other member of the government, as if shaking Putin's hand is an absolute no-go and as if Lucke would have acted any different. It's hilarious. Even John Kerry was shaking hands with Putin the other day. The bastard!

I think that in fact the reality is catching up with the CDU. They managed to lie 5 years about the eurozone crisis. 5 years in which they made the people believe that they can manage the crisis properly and that Greece will recover with their strategy although it was clear from the beginning that it would result in an economical decline and a radicalisation of the voters there.

If only Merkel stayed with her "March 2010 opinion" (yes she changes her opinion very often "Mit mir wird es keine PKW-Maut geben." (during the TV duell with Peer Steinbrück 2013))

"Doch sie stellt klar, es gehe dabei "nicht um Hilfsmaßnahmen"."

http://www.welt.de/p...e-anbieten.html

Whereas Lucke saw the reality years ago. He provided a comprehensive solution for the crisis in his very first talkshow appearance and March 2013

And years before he became politician he united with other economics professors to criticize the wrong politics of our government.

http://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/lucke/

I really hope Merkel will be sentenced for her inactivity in the BND/NSA scandal and for lying to the public although she made an oath to govern the country for the weal of its citizens when she became chancellor.

PS i may correct myself, Gauland is not a speaker (only vice speaker) of the AfD and he never was. So he is not eligible to represent the official party line as long as the main speakers are active.

https://www.alternat...bundesvorstand/

Ari Gold
  • Ari Gold

Ghetto Star

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:50 AM

Congratulations Ireland!

http://www.abc.net.a...erendum/6492698

Hopefully this will spur some activity within the Australian Federal Parliament, particularly from more liberal-minded Liberal Party members, to push for a chamber-wide conscience vote which would surely see it finally legalised in Australia.

• Tyler likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users