Photo

Sniping Tanks

30 replies to this topic
TickleBot
  • TickleBot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

I was in a lobby yesterday and was sniping this guy out of his tank.

I have done it before and know others can do this as well.

After my 3rd time sniping him out he sent me a text accusing me of being a hacker and was going to report me.

Obviously I'm not a hacker because I'm not modding the game or using a modded ps3/system.

My question.. Is it hacking/exploiting/glitching or is this the achilles heel of the tank?

I was at richards Majestic and sniped him by the hills of Eclipse Towers.

I lined up my shot, missed a few times but eventually popped his head off.

I don't see how this could be glitching since I had to be patient & wait for the right opportunity to engage my enemy.

What do you all think? Have you been accused of cheating/hacking after you shoot someone out of their tank?

As a side note: I rarely bring my tank out anymore to battle other tanks because..
1. I find it more satisfying killing someone with my sniper rifle than the tank.
&
2.I don't want to be sniped out by another player.

Thoughts?

The Spook
  • The Spook

Driver - Assassin

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Yes, the Tank has a weak spot for those that know how to exploit it. The bullets for the Heavy Sniper are Armor Piercing, it says so in the description at Ammu-nation. How is it glitching? Hacking? Cheating? Totally logical that a .50 caliber rifle can penetrate the steel and hit the person inside.

Yes, I get accused of it all the time. I enjoy the loud WHAT THE F__K!?! on the mic, the hate mails, the bounties put on me. I can buy a tank of my own right now (With money I earned, not any of these billions floating around) but it's more satisfying to climb to a rooftop and snipe them out, aim at the hatch, wait till they try to get back in it, and snipe them again.

• Blaze1214 likes this

MajorWhytey
  • MajorWhytey

MODified

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

The guy was just gutted that someone sniped him while he was in a tank.
It's quite hard to do. Gotta be the right distance etc and line it up properly. Never easy if the tank is on the move.
Anyway well done. Tank driver just can't handle it and resorts to accusations of modding etc, when this is a totally legitimate way to down a tank driver.

Black Rabbit
  • Black Rabbit

Owsla

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:43 PM

Can someone post a picture of a tank with a circle in the area that I'm supposed to be hitting? 

Does distance matter on this? 

I've shot every part of the front of a tank and have yet to kill the driver. 

iFight
  • iFight

The one

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:47 PM

Just ignore and move on. He can't do anything with just 1 useless report.

Pizentu
  • Pizentu

PLATINUM

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

Can someone post a picture of a tank with a circle in the area that I'm supposed to be hitting? 

Does distance matter on this? 

I've shot every part of the front of a tank and have yet to kill the driver. 

Its the little hatch where he gets in the tank. Shoot that from a far and high enough distance and you will hit him. Its not easy, especially when he is moving but it is possible.

To OP: I get accused of it all the time. I laugh and tell them to mention that someone sniped them while they were in a tank when the file their Hack report. Laugh some more and than snipe them a few more times. 

• The Spook likes this

NXKS
  • NXKS

Rat

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Totally logical that a .50 caliber rifle can penetrate the steel and hit the person inside.

While I don't agree we shouldn't be able to snipe people out of tanks with a well placed shot, this statement is a load of sh*t. Never would a .50 cal be able to pierce a real tank, especially at the distance they would be shooting at.

eViLxCoyote
  • eViLxCoyote

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:56 PM Edited by eViLxCoyote, 19 December 2013 - 12:18 AM.

Yes, the Tank has a weak spot for those that know how to exploit it. The bullets for the Heavy Sniper are Armor Piercing, it says so in the description at Ammu-nation. .

The .50 cal can go through a lot of things(cars, tanks,planes) . I'd actually like to see if wooden fences can be pierced through & killed if standing behind it.

Totally logical that a .50 caliber rifle can penetrate the steel and hit the person inside.

While I don't agree we shouldn't be able to snipe people out of tanks with a well placed shot, this statement is a load of sh*t. Never would a .50 cal be able to pierce a real tank, especially at the distance they would be shooting at.

Now not at all is this statement true. There are caliber sniper bullet that can pierce through a lot more than a tank. 50 caliber bullets have been known to put nice holes in the side of tanks.. Lone shot for the hole, 2nd shot for his head ;) (unrealisticly impossible) but for saying that it can't put a hole in the side of a tank is completely untrue.

xIncognito
  • xIncognito

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

what? Do you know what a .50 sniper rifle does to someone? Fired at 300+ yards away, you are able to decapitate someone without even hitting them with the bullet. The average thickness of a driver's hatch on a tank is 3-10 inches, and depending on the metal used, one would have little trouble getting it to pierce that dingy flap.

TickleBot
  • TickleBot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

Thanks guys for your input/comments.
I don't know much about guns/mumitions so couldn't give my .02 but I do know .50 will do some considerable damage compared to a 9mm hg.

I'm also online right now (ps3) if anyone wants to practice.. send me a messge for my gt.

KingPancakes
  • KingPancakes

Sortve have a life outside of video games, go easy

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

Since i don't have .50 cal on either character and nowhere level 90 yet, would a regular sniper be able to do this if close enough?

whitebic
  • whitebic

lol

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

what? Do you know what a .50 sniper rifle does to someone? Fired at 300+ yards away, you are able to decapitate someone without even hitting them with the bullet. The average thickness of a driver's hatch on a tank is 3-10 inches, and depending on the metal used, one would have little trouble getting it to pierce that dingy flap.

lol you watch too much YouTube videos probs never fired a gun let alone own one lol

eViLxCoyote
  • eViLxCoyote

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:19 AM

Since i don't have .50 cal on either character and nowhere level 90 yet, would a regular sniper be able to do this if close enough?

I don't think so, but if somebody drops a .50 cal sniper ammo around you, you should be able to use it as you would if you were a level 90. Either till you sign off or die.

TickleBot
  • TickleBot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yes, you can still kill a player in a tank with the regular sniper rifle. My friend is a 40 and did it to me when we were trainin this technique. I feel the heavy sniper is more effective. Try it out, it won't hurt!

sinaloakartel
  • sinaloakartel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

I sniped a guy out of a tank using a regular sniper rifle. I was just trying to shoot the tank, not the player, but I hit him near the hatch from the side. This guy was spawn killing players. After he died, one of my friends immediately took the tank and spawn killed him about 10 times.

xIncognito
  • xIncognito

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:21 AM Edited by xIncognito, 19 December 2013 - 05:22 AM.

I've yet to be able to land a good shot on a tank. I was trying earlier from the top of the Hospital in the cities, with a friend down on the street. I must've cleared 200 rounds before I gave up. If anyone can post a picture with effective areas to be firing at a tank (along with recommended distance and angle), I would be more than willing to cut you a profit. (PSN only, Xbox 360 some days.)

I miss how easy it was with the Vice City tanks. Just a little slit in the front.

jaxta89
  • jaxta89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:54 AM

Ive sniped many tanks but most times im too far away to render players so they manage to get back in and carry on with the mayhem. Sometimes someone else is around to steal the tank, but 90% of the time the griefer gets back in.

Plus if the tanker realizes what building your on he can just start blasting the building which really messes up your aim and makes it impossible to shoot.

LBxFinalDeath
  • LBxFinalDeath

Extraordinary Creeper

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:57 AM Edited by LBxFinalDeath, 19 December 2013 - 05:57 AM.

Not to mention Jax a tank constantly shooting and you're near it makes the frame rate go into the toilet because of the explosions and clouds from them overlapping each other.

Daemian
  • Daemian

Merryweather Security LTA

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:00 AM

I've sniped tanks succesfully, most of them with the heavy sniper from a considerable distance. Someone with a tank willing to find more weak points ? to find exactly how many granades and RPG's are necessary to destroy the tank ? If someone is interested i'm on PS3 and we could publish the results here, send PM.

• xIncognito likes this

DaTwista
  • DaTwista

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:58 AM

Has anyone got an image of the weak spot on this tank where they are shooting. I would like to be hated too :(

Nasir_Jones
  • Nasir_Jones

Gta V Mexican Cartel Member

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

There's seriously nothing better then seeing the green lines in the scope turn red when shooting at a tank. I found 4 spots that take out a tank easily. 1st spot requires height, get about 10 stories high on a building and shoot the hatch where the player enters. 2nd spot is the back of the tank on the left side, where the smoke comes out. Aim it about Halfway in between the engine and fire your sniper and you'll hit him. 3 and 4th are the sides of the tank, aim right under the hatch if you're on the left side of the tank, if you're on the right, it's all about judgement of your bullet, just place your sights right where the hatch would be if it was on the right side. I have shot so many people out of tanks, I feel great whenever I do it, they rage so hard. You will die a lot, it takes practice.

ChilledMatt
  • ChilledMatt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:03 AM

Never would a .50 cal be able to pierce a real tank, especially at the distance they would be shooting at.

IRL a high velocity round does not need to actually pierce the armour to kill the occupants. There is a phenomena known as scabbing whereby flakes of steel whiz around inside the tank causing horrific injuries. My buddy was a tank driver in the first Gulf war.
^^^Sorry TheSpook, you didn't say this. Totally stuffed up the quoting.
  • The Spook likes this

BoJack Cognac
  • BoJack Cognac

Cowboy and Rap Star

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

My question.. Is it hacking/exploiting/glitching or is this the achilles heel of the tank?

I hereby declare you a full-fledged retard.

DraxTheDestroyer
  • DraxTheDestroyer

Vinum Sabbathi

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

long live the tank snipers robin hoods,protectors of the opressed!

raymo2u
  • raymo2u

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:05 AM Edited by raymo2u, 19 December 2013 - 11:06 AM.

Youve got to be around 2-3 blocks away, even on ground it works, aim below the hatch where the player would be sitting in the tank and when you dont see those rounds sparking on the tank anymore than you know you can hit him. Its distance not hieght, i do it all the time with my regular sniper, works on any player in a vehicle more than 2-3 city blocks out.

So where tanks spawn at the movies on the vinewood hills i no longer grab a heli and go to maze bank. I got to where the street stops being striaght and starts going downhill towards the 400k apartments and stand on my car, shoot tank driver(s) and drive down and grab their tank, take any other tank out and ask them if theyve learned anything

noemnrut
  • noemnrut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

I've done this so many times and I do believe this is a kind of bug.

To do this first you have to be far away from the target.

By far away it means where you point to a player and the player's name won't show up.

Once you are out of that range you can snipe anyone out of anything.

Even if the guy is wall-glitched(inside a wall), if you are pointing that player in distances you can still snipe him out through the wall. Not to mention sniping people out from tanks or even the back of tanks.

I believe it happens because the game doesn't consider objects in certain distances to be actual objects that block anything, so basically they are just 3d models carry no extra properties. And that makes you snipe through them. 

Panicbacon
  • Panicbacon

Snitch

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

.50 cal sniper rifles are made to be anti-materiel. I get rage messages accusing me of hacking all the time. Schmucks will be butt hurt and haters will hate, its just the way of the world. The best thing to do is to sit on the hatch of the tank after the first kill with your scope and snipe them during then hatch opening animation till they rage quit.

TickleBot
  • TickleBot

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

I hereby declare you a full-fledged retard.

Great! Where do I pick up my certificate?

cjdavies
  • cjdavies

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Play Boneyard Survival, can't remember what wave the Heavy Sniper spawns, you can use it online while still playing, the moment you leave online, it's gone.

sinaloakartel
  • sinaloakartel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

I think we've established that it is a waste of time to acquire the heavy sniper from survival mode. I sniped a tank accidentally using a regular sniper. I was having a sniper match with another player who had the heavy version and he said I took 3 hits without dying (at level 60). Idk why everyone looks forward to level 90 so much. It seems like a slightly more powerful version of the sniper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users