Photo

Guy pretended to be undercover CIA agent to avoid working at his compa

14 replies to this topic
UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:39 PM Edited by UtricularEwe001, 18 December 2013 - 02:42 PM.

So this just came up on my news-feed

A former Environmental Protection Agency employee and top global warming expert will be sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty to defrauding taxpayers of nearly $1 million in a wild scheme dating back to at least 2000.

John C. Beale, 65, in a “crime of massive proportions” avoided doing his real job for more than a decade by telling his supervisors he was an undercover CIA agent, NBC News reported, citing federal prosecutors. He pleaded guilty in September.

EPA Assistant Inspector General Patrick Sullivan, who headed the investigation into Beale’s fraud, was shocked with what he found when he started digging in February 2012.

“I thought, ‘Oh my God, How could this possibly have happened in this agency?” he told NBC. “I’ve worked for the government for 35 years. I’ve never seen a situation like this.”

So how did Beale manage to get away with the deception for so long? Did no one think to double-check his CIA claims? It would appear not, according to federal prosecutors.

Beale was “enabled” because top officials failed to verify his stories or even question the hundreds of thousands of dollars given to him in bonuses and travel expenses.

Before he “retired” in 2011, Beale was earning an annual salary of $206,00, plus bonuses — more than the salaries of his immediate boss and EPA administrator Gina McCarthy, according to official documents.

The former EPA official often skipped going in to work, once going 18 months straight without ever setting foot in his office by telling his supervisors — including McCarthy — that he was doing covert work for the CIA. During a six-month stretch when he didn’t go in, he told supervisors he was needed in Pakistan because the Taliban was torturing his CIA replacement, NBC reported.

“Due to recent events that you have probably read about, I am in Pakistan,” Beale wrote McCarthy in a Dec. 18, 2010 email. “Got the call Thurs and left Fri. Hope to be back for Christmas ….Ho, ho, ho.”

Beale, of course, had no connections to the CIA.

For all the time he told his supervisors he was doing covert work for the CIA, he was really spending time at his vacation house on Cape Cod or doing chores around his house in Northern Virginia.

“The CIA has no record of him ever walking through the door,” Sullivan said.

Beale once told supervisors he needed a handicap parking space at EPA headquarters because he suffered from malaria contracted during a tour of duty in Vietnam.

Beale, who got the handicap parking space, doesn’t have malaria and he never served in Vietnam:

More at:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/16/epa-global-warming-expert-and-its-highest-paid-employee-avoided-doing-work-for-13-years-by-pretending-he-was-in-the-cia/

LOL at this guy, he fooled his company for 13 years!

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

He's a legend. :p

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

He totally deserves it for having such balls to lie like that to everyone (the money and vacations I mean, not the punishment).

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

So you're telling me it took them 13 YEARS to figure out this guy wasn't in the CIA? They didn't once think to ask for his credentials? 

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

So you're telling me it took them 13 YEARS to figure out this guy wasn't in the CIA? They didn't once think to ask for his credentials? 

Nope. He even got First class tickets costing the government $266,190. 

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Or maybe He actually is in the CIA and they cooked up this story to get him out of the business without people knowing that he ever was in the CIA to begin with....

• Killerdude8 likes this

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:29 PM Edited by rudy., 18 December 2013 - 03:33 PM.

They're the EPA and they just accept anything said to them at face value. Asking for credentials ain't their thing.

Also f*ck quote tags.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

This guy is a genius.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Wow. :O

Mr.Scratch
  • Mr.Scratch

No Sleep Till Broker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

I bet he got burned.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

Could make a person wonder how many more are doing it...

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

That's hilarious, you have the Blaze in your news feed.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Shut up, Sit Down and Relax

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hahaha! fairplay to him for getting away with for 13 years!

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

And I struggle to convince my boss that I actually am sick on a Saturday morning not hungover. f*ck should just tell her that i'm on a CIA mission, apparently it's more believable.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

This guy is my new hero, after these guys who stole a llama in Bordeaux and went partying with it.

I should definitely try that trick.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users