» «
Photo

Older players

143 replies to this topic
RAS_ZeroZ
  • RAS_ZeroZ

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:19 PM Edited by RAS_ZeroZ, 07 January 2014 - 06:20 PM.

Ahh, nice thread. Makes me feel young at 39 again :)

Anybody that's 60+ on this game and griefing people in lobbies with a tank gets my full support LOL

Toshio_maxoS
  • Toshio_maxoS

Heisenberg's pal™

• Members
  • Red-Cross

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

What do you mean with "older players"?!

I'm playing video games since I'm 5... my first PC I got there.

Now i'm close to 17... and currently playing only Skyrim :D

chrisscorsese88
  • chrisscorsese88

A Survivor is Born

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:46 PM

I turned 25 just before Christmas, I feel like my mental age is no older than 16 and my body feels like it's 40. I've been playing video games since Atari, Jaguar (anybody remember that system?) and the first Nintendo console. I hope to continue enjoying long enough to get to virtual reality (wouldn't be surprised if that happens by 2050).

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

What do you mean with "older players"?!
I'm playing video games since I'm 5... my first PC I got there.
Now i'm close to 17... and currently playing only Skyrim :D

I think he means older players. He goes on to say he's 63 so I'm pretty sure he's asking if there are others like him.

OT: I'm 32, so hardly old but I appreciate the guy making this thread. Cool to see people who've been gaming this long.

carmisa
  • carmisa

Carmisa

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:44 PM

I was playing online a couple nights ago and got an invite from a player to join a party with another kid. They were 11 and 12 years old. We all had headsets on. After playing for awhile I mentioned I was 63 yrs old, and I could not convince them I was that old even though I gave them my date of birth and mentioned historical events I had witnessed like Sputnik, and other things from the 50s and 60s. It was funny. By the way, I just started playing GTA San Andreas multiplayer SA-MP online again. Hard to find a good rp server, but I think GTA San Andreas still holds it's own and is the funnest, and funniest GTA ever. Also the best music of all.  Now I'm off to join an old guy GTA 5 online gang.

• PsychoGamer likes this

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

I wont share my age, but I've been around for a good period of time, and I was an adult when this series first hit the shelves. I'm no spoiled rugrat. 

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

mambonutz
  • mambonutz

Northern Canuck

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:44 PM Edited by mambonutz, 07 January 2014 - 09:45 PM.

http://gtaforums.com...entry1064130381

Did this one a while back...good to see you all out there...:)

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

33 and really enjoy this game. Been playing since Christmas.

First console was Atari 2600.

PsychoGamer
  • PsychoGamer

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Eritrea

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

I was playing online a couple nights ago and got an invite from a player to join a party with another kid. They were 11 and 12 years old. We all had headsets on. After playing for awhile I mentioned I was 63 yrs old, and I could not convince them I was that old even though I gave them my date of birth and mentioned historical events I had witnessed like Sputnik, and other things from the 50s and 60s. It was funny. By the way, I just started playing GTA San Andreas multiplayer SA-MP online again. Hard to find a good rp server, but I think GTA San Andreas still holds it's own and is the funnest, and funniest GTA ever. Also the best music of all.  Now I'm off to join an old guy GTA 5 online gang.

Badass, just badass! 

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

bizarro starter kit

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

Thing is, you never feel like your getting older mentally.

This. I'm 44, but I've had many occasions to say "Yeah, but I still feel like a 20-year-old."  I'm still into gaming, comics, toys. Why? Because I love them. I feel sorry for people who forsake fun things just because they "grow up".

sqre
  • sqre

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

being 40 this thread makes me feel a little better.

• RAS_ZeroZ likes this

Unimatrix666
  • Unimatrix666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:30 AM Edited by Unimatrix666, 08 January 2014 - 12:31 AM.

29 going on 30 with a wife and 4 month old and still can not get enough of the GTA franchise which I have been playing since the first game came out. Infact an old friend of mine and i discovered the demo  which had a tmer on it to shorten how long you could play well we found a crack that got rid of that in a hurry and it all went from there lol.

Just wish us older folk could play an 18 and up game in onlone mode with out having to deal with screaming  brats who shouldt even be playing to begin with lol

rojovo74
  • rojovo74

Prankster

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:17 AM

being 40 this thread makes me feel a little better.

I'll be joining you in 17 days lol.

• sqre likes this

ZHPbim
  • ZHPbim

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

I'm 67 here. I love it gargle gargle gargle

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Godfather

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:42 AM

I'm 67 here. I love it gargle gargle gargle

How does your hearing aid handle all the ambient sounds? and when you got your copy of GTA V did you also get a knitted sweater and a pipe to sit in your rocking chair telling your grandchildren about the old days when video games only consisted of singular pixels being moved across the screen?

:p

• DeafMetal likes this

Silky
  • Silky

Lifelong Millwall Fan

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:48 AM Edited by Silky, 08 January 2014 - 08:14 AM.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

OP, I signed up just to reply to your thread!

I am 39 years old, started gaming with a Commodore Vic20, progressed with Acorn Electron, BBC Micro, Spectrum 48k, Spectrum 128k, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Atari Falcon (Yeah, me and TWO other people!), Amiga 600, Megadrive, PS1, PS2 and upto the XBox360 to date.

I thought I was a little on the old side to be playing GTAV/GTAO but seeing this thread made me realise I'm not alone!

I would say age is a state of mind though, I have met some decent younger gamers on GTA:O as well.

OP, thank you for this thread!

My gaming claim to fame is that I am great friends with Rob Hylands ... If any of you had a Spectrum 48k and played R*Type you'll know who he is ;) Currently owns a pub in my home town.

• DeafMetal likes this

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:51 PM Edited by DeafMetal, 08 January 2014 - 05:59 PM.

DeafMetal is the only person I know who frequents the GTA V forum who's "old" so to speak. He's 44.

April 1, 1969.

Good to see you still gaming, OP.

29 going on 30 with a wife and 4 month old and still can not get enough of the GTA franchise which I have been playing since the first game came out. Infact an old friend of mine and i discovered the demo  which had a tmer on it to shorten how long you could play well we found a crack that got rid of that in a hurry and it all went from there lol.

Just wish us older folk could play an 18 and up game in onlone mode with out having to deal with screaming  brats who shouldt even be playing to begin with lol

It's a lot more common than you probably think. My brother in law, who doesn't game at all, bought GTA V. He runs a business and has 3 kids, and didn't even know the next gen of consoles was coming, but he was still excited about V lol It's the only series I know of apart from Mario that has a f*cking incredibly reach. Casuals, old, young, hardcore, etc. Kind of annoying how since it's the most popular game at the moment, we get hipsters hating on it based on its popularity, seen too many on the internet these past few days.

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

Putting a crew of older players together called TheDeviants if anyone wants in?

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

• sqre and DeafMetal like this

twocam16
  • twocam16

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

49 here and still playing the GTA series and a few more other PS3 games. It's our generation when video games were coming out so it stuck in me. :)

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:33 PM

I definitely don't count (21 - still older than most people who play Online, though), but I just really wanted to drop by and say how awesome you guys all are. Hope I'm still gaming in the next 10, 20, 30 years. I remember my dad introducing me to gaming, and how much it meant to be able to spend time with him that way, so, yeah.

Keep being awesome, guys.

• Silky likes this

SirGeoffreyOfYorkshire
  • SirGeoffreyOfYorkshire

The Living Legend

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

I'm a wee bit older than your stereotypical GTA player, but not much.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:48 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 08 January 2014 - 07:49 PM.

I would like to know if there are other older players enjoying this game. I have been gaming since the first video games came on the scene, like Pong, and Intelevision. I am just turning 63 and am curious if there are others like me, or if I am an anomaly. Please reply if you are another "old" person. By the way , I think this is the best video game of all time. I play every day although I am only at rank 51 online.

No you're not an anomaly.  Gen Xer here  :)

Pong.  Man that brings back some real old school memories.  Next to Pac Man & Space Invaders, that was the game to beat on your commodore 64 back in the day..... :lol:

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:58 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 08 January 2014 - 08:00 PM.

44 years young here, have not really been in to gaming for a while and certainly not online, but got back into it with GTA V, very addicted to it, very excited about the new games for the PS4, The Division and Watchdogs, will wait to buy one until I get bored of GTA.

My first game was something like this :

photo_TAndyTVscoreboard3061thum.JPG

Played pong and a shooting game and some other games.

First "computer" was the Synclair ZX-81

sinclair_zx81_1s.jpg

It had 1 kB memory !!!!!

Saved like crazy for the 16 kB extension  :lol:

Played text-based adventure games, seems like the dark ages  :santa:

Started seriously gaming with the 8087 with it's 2 5.25 floppy HDs. But what got me addicted to PC gaming was the 8088 with its 5MB HD. Disk swapping floppies  playing Ultima (before the EA Borg assimilated and destroyed Garriot's amazing franchise)  became ancient history.  PC gaming in general was never the same once they decided to add the HD to the computer.  Just think---if someone in the industry hadn't thought of making internal HD, the cyber world might still be flat.  And we might still be swapping CDs to this day  :lol:

RedBull FM
  • RedBull FM

Retired, have a life

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

I would like to know if there are other older players enjoying this game. I have been gaming since the first video games came on the scene, like Pong, and Intelevision. I am just turning 63 and am curious if there are others like me, or if I am an anomaly. Please reply if you are another "old" person. By the way , I think this is the best video game of all time. I play every day although I am only at rank 51 online.

Hey Carmisa,

A guy on my friends list called Rudolph Rednoze is over 60 years of age. Hes a cool guy to talk to. From England.

Capture_zps5bf48717.png

IntoGloryRide
  • IntoGloryRide

Warmonger

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:05 PM

I'm a couple years away from 40 and still love gaming with a passion. Really started to develop an appreciation for it during the 8-bit era..I'm also a music composer who is heavily influenced by old school game soundtracks, and hope to work in that department one day. GTA has been my favorite franchise since I first played III.

PulpFiction
  • PulpFiction

Godfather

• Zaibatsu
  • Vatican-City
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

DeafMetal is the only person I know who frequents the GTA V forum who's "old" so to speak. He's 44.

April 1, 1969.

On April Fool's day 1969 the world welcomed one of the coolest dudes I know.;)

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

April 1, 1969.

On April Fool's day 1969 the world welcomed one of the coolest dudes I know. ;)

vqTEC19269.jpg

Also OT: I also used to play an mmo for 3 years, and led a guild - my second-in-command was a really cool Italian guy who was 60+ Really awesome guy, one of the friendliest I've met in an online game. Still talk to him occasionally.

• PulpFiction likes this

Unimatrix666
  • Unimatrix666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:56 AM

April 1, 1969.

It's a lot more common than you probably think. My brother in law, who doesn't game at all, bought GTA V. He runs a business and has 3 kids, and didn't even know the next gen of consoles was coming, but he was still excited about V lol It's the only series I know of apart from Mario that has a f*cking incredibly reach. Casuals, old, young, hardcore, etc. Kind of annoying how since it's the most popular game at the moment, we get hipsters hating on it based on its popularity, seen too many on the internet these past few days.

Yes but unlike Mario , GTA keps feeling fresh and new with each new game. Nintendo keeps poppping out crappy mario games like a crack whore pumping out kids on welfare.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:07 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 09 January 2014 - 01:09 AM.

April 1, 1969.

Yes but unlike Mario , GTA keps feeling fresh and new with each new game. Nintendo keeps poppping out crappy mario games like a crack whore pumping out kids on welfare.

Sad part is that critics eat that sh*t up. Mario's immune to any criticism as long as it's not blatant sh*t. If GTA (or any other series) has ANY form of flaw, they dial back their praise. The whole critics not expecting any innovation from Nintendo thing but still giving them perfect scores on practically every game is one of the reasons why I think most critics are a bunch of assholes.

Don't get me wrong, the games ARE consistently good because Nintendo has some of the best people in the industry working for them, but it's retarded how they never get called out when they keep reusing the same concept over and over with little to no change, year after year, while other games who work just as hard, if not harder, get blasted for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users