I find myself questioning the future of GTA Online for the first time

45 replies to this topic
Dilkington
  • Dilkington

San Andreas Alternative News Host

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

Before you read this, understand that I am not writing it for any specific person. If you don't want to know how some guy on the internet feels about the current state of a video game he plays then by all means leave this page... or post a negative comment. Free will is a great thing.

(TL;DR - Hacker gave me money, made me wonder about GTA Online's future. Going to wait it out.)

It finally happened to me. After saving and depositing and storing away, after earning a few hundred grand by myself the honest way, I was given hundreds of millions by a hacker. At first it was exciting, I filled my garage, stocked up on ammo and bought every item of clothing. But now... I feel kind of lost.

I find myself completing missions and not caring what the payout is. I'd rather skip straight to the RP reward screen and not have any money rewarded to me at all. That's sad in a game that is supposedly all about money and status.

There's no longer a drive to be proud of my achievements in GTA Online. Before the money, I had four personal vehicles that were all legitimately acquired. Now I have ten. All thanks to some faceless hacker guy in a session who wanted to give away numbers on a screen.

I'm not complaining. The game is still about adventure and exploration over everything else. I've found myself using the Free Aim lobbies more to spice things up a bit. Now I can zip around in that cute Voltic I always wanted. Now I can spray my carbine rifle endlessly without having to be stingy about ammo. Now I can place irrational 9k bounties on players who won't get out of my face.

But where is this leading? Rockstar are obviously going to take action here and I feel it's going to be something drastic that will cause all kinds of outcry. People are going to be demanding their right to play GTA Online whether they hacked or not. And not everyone will be fairly treated, a few will be punished for things they had no control over.

I know GTA Online was never particularly stable. It has been two and a half months now and the game only seems to be degrading into a deeper mess. When one list of problems is patched, a new and longer list of problems emerges and the race to balance the game before it's too late continues.

If Rockstar can somehow get a tight lock on the hacks and glitches AND manage an outcome that benefits everybody who genuinely cares about the game, I'll be happy. There are too many players at the moment who strive to take what they can get from this game without considering the consequences. It's not just hackers who will have to pay for this, it's the entire GTA community.

I'm just hoping that this game can become what it is supposed to be. Rockstar's vision for GTA Online is clearly visible, they have some grand ideas and I appreciate what they are trying to do. Perhaps, though, it's a little too much for them to take on. The GTA franchise is clearly incredibly popular and influential, but the world of online gaming is not something Rockstar have a vast amount of experience with.

Sorry for the long-winded and probably pointless topic. Putting my thoughts out there. I know most of you feel the same way. I think if we're patient then we will eventually see the GTA Online that was promised to us. However, it might take a few more months of waiting before the situation is under complete control.

Also, I don't blame Rockstar for this. There are certain individuals out there who are never satisfied with what they have, who want to find a way to take control and exploit a wonderful thing. On the other hand, if weaknesses are easy to detect then it is human nature to be curious and explore.

• Toke, Ninjambie, Gibbzy101 and 1 other like this

SoggyLuke
  • SoggyLuke

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

TLDR ;) haha just kidding, i agree with what you have said, i have lost all hope in this gens GTAO, i feel like they will learn from this and then the next GTA games online MAY just be worthwhile

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

i knew this game had no future the moment i learned about storing tanks in your garage.It's only been 2 months and there are like 8 patches lol now come on R* you can do better than that. Also putting anyone that had/took a modded bounty or received cash into a cheater pool was a level of dumbassery I expected no one else to pull off. On top of that you can STILL do the json file editing stuff. Just stay in a cheater session for more than 5 minutes and i 80% guarantee you will receive money

• theGTAking101 and Germanspride like this

Dilkington
  • Dilkington

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

You'd think that, being 2013, Rockstar would have access to server technology that totally prevents any kind of hacking or exploitation of their online game. Then you need to take into account the fact that hackers themselves are always adapting and developing new tactics to manipulate technology. It's an unseen virtual war going on through the internet. It's actually pretty interesting (and frustrating).

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

I gave you the money because I knew you would post this TL/DR

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

As I said yesterday.......A person with Tourette Syndrome has more control over what they say, then Rockstar has over this game.

All kidding aside they should stick to one aspect of gaming they do well, and that is single player titles. Online game management for them is probably like watching a Chinese fire drill in progress. I could only imagine what those faces look like. People screaming like Gordon Gekko at R*.  If you don't fix the f*cking game I'm going to rip out your eye balls and suck your f*cking skull.

• Mr. Piff 724 likes this

IShotBambi
  • IShotBambi

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:23 PM

Right now it looks like what the people would do when fighting back against their government who has f*cked them over. Riots. Most lobbies I join has at least 1 tank f*cking sh*t up, people speeding around in there fully modded adders popping shots at any players in their site, bounties everywhere. Complete chaos.

SHOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN YOU NIGGAS MONEY

Dilkington
  • Dilkington

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

I gave you the money because I knew you would post this TL/DR

No, you didn't. Nice try though.

Right now it looks like what the people would do when fighting back against their government who has f*cked them over. Riots. Most lobbies I join has at least 1 tank f*cking sh*t up, people speeding around in there fully modded adders popping shots at any players in their site, bounties everywhere. Complete chaos.

SHOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN YOU NIGGAS MONEY

I think it would be great to see everyone poor again. The playing field definitely needs to be leveled.

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

I skimmed through the thread and agree with you. The direction of GTAOnline isn't looking well, I think the main reason is because of glitchers and hackers (I put more blame on the hackers though). 

Right now they are banning people and angering a lot of their audiences off. I've said this in a bunch of other threads but I guess I'll say it here too. What they should do is fix the modding first. That should be TOP priority if they care for the future of the game. You can ban a hundred glitchers/hackers. But if you aren't fixing the issue, history will no doubtingly repeat itself.

After they do that, then they can reset anyone who obtained the money illegitimately (ranks + money). But the direction they are taking isn't a good one.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that they the future of GTAOnline is going to go bad though, we aren't fortune tellers and can't predict what's going to happen. I'd bet if any one of us stopped playing GTAOnline for a year, and then returned, we'd have missed A LOT. It's only been 2 months since GTAOnline. It's too early to say things like this lol.

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

This game is heading in the same direction as Aiden O'Malley did.  Face first off the cliffs of Leftwood.

• Ermacs likes this

Sterling Malory Archer
  • Sterling Malory Archer

What the sh*t? I'm playing GRAND THEFT TANK

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

tomorrow is going to be an interesting day on this forum, that's for sure.

(buys a dozen Adders to put in my chars garages, LOL)

thorpey181
  • thorpey181

Trick

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

I'm by no means a programmer but surely it's not rocket science to sort out the current mess the game is in. 

Account balances are just values and they will have a record of cash card purchases - just wipe all unpurchased cash over a value of say five million. People that have been playing the game since release completely legit won't have much more than that saved up surely, taking into account they must have also been spending money over that period.

Anybody that has more than that amount in 99.9% of cases probably hasn't earned it the way the game intended, so it's not like there will be huge outrage. In addition, disable the gifting money function for a temporary period while they get their end tightened up. 

It's a great game and while I'm not going to fault people for hacking it (because to be honest I admire their dedication to the cause) it does ruin it for everybody else. 

Little bit of patience never hurt anybody. A learning experience for Rockstar. 

PlasmicSnake
  • PlasmicSnake

Negative Astro Creep

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

They went to big with online and that was their problem. Theres alot of activites but unless you have someone to play with your going to be playing them alone or not at all especially now. IT was good at first when everyone and their grandmas were playing gtao but we all have seen the number of people just on our friends list that dont play this game anymore.

Thats not even counting Rstars constant restrictions and take away patches. Now they punish people while still leaving the main hack wide open and available for everyone to keep doing. Not to mention what action has Rstar taken against those who hacked world records or run around in god mode? More than likely nothing. Instead they punish those who were already on the brink,bored from the tediousness of robbing stores and doing pick up and drop off missions til their eyes bleed.

Rstar didnt make any of us "cheat" but they allowed it to happen, and they didnt make it hard on those who were 'gifted' alot of money either. We cant be too upset if we get labeled cheaters just like Rstar shouldnt be too upset when people arent playing their game. Of course memories are short and if EA got away with treating their customers like crap for so many years so can Rstar.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

I completed Vice City and all I got was this lousy t-shirt

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:45 PM

There are literally millions of people playing this game.  A very small minority have things that they shouldn't have.  This is a drop in the ocean that just looks bigger to us because of the internet and places like this forum.

OurJud
  • OurJud

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

What's happening tomorrow?

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

There are literally millions of people playing this game.  A very small minority have things that they shouldn't have.  This is a drop in the ocean that just looks bigger to us because of the internet and places like this forum.

its not like you see a hacker once in every 300 games, the cheaters pool is actually getting pretty populated now. There are more than you think, giving cash to a lot more than just a "very small minority". 

Taylor7500
  • Taylor7500

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

There's no way R* can ban/pool all the cheaters and only the cheaters with 100% precision, so in the end, they'll end up banning innocent players too. That's a move which doesn't bode well for a game's future, particularly a game so well known as GTA (where releases and updates make it to the news, for god's sake) so either they can ban people left, right and centre and take a LOT of criticism or not ban/pool as many people as they say they're going to.

Personally I think the latter of those is the better option for them.

Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm by no means a programmer but surely it's not rocket science to sort out the current mess the game is in. 

Account balances are just values and they will have a record of cash card purchases - just wipe all unpurchased cash over a value of say five million. People that have been playing the game since release completely legit won't have much more than that saved up surely, taking into account they must have also been spending money over that period.

Anybody that has more than that amount in 99.9% of cases probably hasn't earned it the way the game intended, so it's not like there will be huge outrage. In addition, disable the gifting money function for a temporary period while they get their end tightened up. 

It's a great game and while I'm not going to fault people for hacking it (because to be honest I admire their dedication to the cause) it does ruin it for everybody else. 

Little bit of patience never hurt anybody. A learning experience for Rockstar. 

It won't be rocket science (with that you're correct), but in order to stop the modders they need to add verification via the cloud servers, that way their code can not be edited. 

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

There's no way R* can ban/pool all the cheaters and only the cheaters with 100% precision, so in the end, they'll end up banning innocent players too. That's a move which doesn't bode well for a game's future, particularly a game so well known as GTA (where releases and updates make it to the news, for god's sake) so either they can ban people left, right and centre and take a LOT of criticism or not ban/pool as many people as they say they're going to.

Personally I think the latter of those is the better option for them.

It was the better option, you get sent to the pool for simply being in a lobby with a modder lol.

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

its not like you see a hacker once in every 300 games, the cheaters pool is actually getting pretty populated now. There are more than you think, giving cash to a lot more than just a "very small minority". 

No, there's MILLIONS of people playing this game.  This *is* a small minority whether you agree with it or not.  If you don't understand the scale of the game then you don't understand what I'm saying.

BatFerYou
  • BatFerYou

Messianic JoyChrist

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:56 PM Edited by BatFerYou, 17 December 2013 - 11:58 PM.

We're coming round to group bum you.
  • Furry_Monkey likes this

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

No, there's MILLIONS of people playing this game.  This *is* a small minority whether you agree with it or not.  If you don't understand the scale of the game then you don't understand what I'm saying.

do you not know how much 1 hacker can do in a day? Rob a store, share cash with lobby twice then leave, that is a few hundred mil for everyone in about 2 minutes or so, if he does that for 3 hours that is a LOT of people. Sure its not like 70% of the community but the number is still large enough to be a problem. 

SideburnGuru
  • SideburnGuru

He'll be a god to them.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

..To be fair, I can finally defend R*. You did kinda bring it on yourself. Not saying that you hacked that 10 million or whatever, but you did kinda go crazy spending with it. 

Not saying you deserve to be put in a cheater pool like R* thinks with certain players, but that's really the issue. The grind kinda stopped because you had that much. 

Will agree that the game needs more to work towards. Alot more, to be honest.

maschil
  • maschil

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:59 PM Edited by maschil, 18 December 2013 - 12:03 AM.

Before you read this, understand that I am not writing it for any specific person. If you don't want to know how some guy on the internet feels about the current state of a video game he plays then by all means leave this page... or post a negative comment. Free will is a great thing.

(TL;DR - Hacker gave me money, made me wonder about GTA Online's future. Going to wait it out.)

It finally happened to me. After saving and depositing and storing away, after earning a few hundred grand by myself the honest way, I was given hundreds of millions by a hacker. At first it was exciting, I filled my garage, stocked up on ammo and bought every item of clothing. But now... I feel kind of lost.

I find myself completing missions and not caring what the payout is. I'd rather skip straight to the RP reward screen and not have any money rewarded to me at all. That's sad in a game that is supposedly all about money and status.

There's no longer a drive to be proud of my achievements in GTA Online. Before the money, I had four personal vehicles that were all legitimately acquired. Now I have ten. All thanks to some faceless hacker guy in a session who wanted to give away numbers on a screen.

I'm not complaining. The game is still about adventure and exploration over everything else. I've found myself using the Free Aim lobbies more to spice things up a bit. Now I can zip around in that cute Voltic I always wanted. Now I can spray my carbine rifle endlessly without having to be stingy about ammo. Now I can place irrational 9k bounties on players who won't get out of my face.

But where is this leading? Rockstar are obviously going to take action here and I feel it's going to be something drastic that will cause all kinds of outcry. People are going to be demanding their right to play GTA Online whether they hacked or not. And not everyone will be fairly treated, a few will be punished for things they had no control over.

I know GTA Online was never particularly stable. It has been two and a half months now and the game only seems to be degrading into a deeper mess. When one list of problems is patched, a new and longer list of problems emerges and the race to balance the game before it's too late continues.

If Rockstar can somehow get a tight lock on the hacks and glitches AND manage an outcome that benefits everybody who genuinely cares about the game, I'll be happy. There are too many players at the moment who strive to take what they can get from this game without considering the consequences. It's not just hackers who will have to pay for this, it's the entire GTA community.

I'm just hoping that this game can become what it is supposed to be. Rockstar's vision for GTA Online is clearly visible, they have some grand ideas and I appreciate what they are trying to do. Perhaps, though, it's a little too much for them to take on. The GTA franchise is clearly incredibly popular and influential, but the world of online gaming is not something Rockstar have a vast amount of experience with.

Sorry for the long-winded and probably pointless topic. Putting my thoughts out there. I know most of you feel the same way. I think if we're patient then we will eventually see the GTA Online that was promised to us. However, it might take a few more months of waiting before the situation is under complete control.

Also, I don't blame Rockstar for this. There are certain individuals out there who are never satisfied with what they have, who want to find a way to take control and exploit a wonderful thing. On the other hand, if weaknesses are easy to detect then it is human nature to be curious and explore.

I just think it depends on the person. Some of the first usesr online benefited heavily from farming Violent Duct, Rooftop Rumble, I started playing after they did. But they had that advantage over me as Rockstar made the pay lower, lots of rp etc...Ideally I would have preferred bigger payouts from missions. Before i started glitching I hated that 1 death would take 2k! thats 4 simeon missions which would take an hour or so to complete since he pays you pennies. So when i learned about the glitch i was so happy. I could play missions and not care how much it was, I had a mic and had fun conversing with my new friends over the internet.  We did survivals etc.  But if i hadn't had money I would have hated it. I think it just depends on how you reacted to the money and how you played before and after receiving it. Yes its cheating, I know, but I did help my enjoy the game much more than I was before, and now im Level 129 :)

Furry_Monkey
  • Furry_Monkey

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:01 AM

do you not know how much 1 hacker can do in a day? Rob a store, share cash with lobby twice then leave, that is a few hundred mil for everyone in about 2 minutes or so, if he does that for 3 hours that is a LOT of people. Sure its not like 70% of the community but the number is still large enough to be a problem. 

I totally agree that it's potentially a lot of people, but you need to grasp the number of people playing the game.  It really is a very small minority - probably 1-2% at most.  I'd love to see some actual stats about this, but obviously Rockstar wouldn't release that kind of information.

thorpey181
  • thorpey181

Trick

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:08 AM

It's hard to say how many people this has affected without seeing the data at Rockstars end. 

Things for sure though, is that their initial concept of a "fully functioning online economy" is long gone and the online stock market is never going to open for this iteration of GTA. It was a nice idea but that's completely gone as a possibility now. 

Secondly, is that it destroys their value proposition for cash cards. Even if most people haven't actually received a large amount from a hacker, people generally will be aware of the money washing around the game and won't be stupid enough to spend real money buying them..

So while the actual number of players affected might be trivial, it does alter their business model and some game mechanics. 

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Rockstars offices at the moment. I bet some very tired, overworked people are beginning to get seriously f*cked off. 

Dilkington
  • Dilkington

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:25 AM

..To be fair, I can finally defend R*. You did kinda bring it on yourself. Not saying that you hacked that 10 million or whatever, but you did kinda go crazy spending with it. 

Not saying you deserve to be put in a cheater pool like R* thinks with certain players, but that's really the issue. The grind kinda stopped because you had that much. 

Will agree that the game needs more to work towards. Alot more, to be honest.

I wanted shiny new things, I couldn't afford them. Suddenly, I could afford them without grinding. Extend it to real life, if you will. Imagine this situation:

You check your bank account one day and find that you are a millionaire. You don't know how or why. The bank has not contacted you, nor have the police. Nobody suspects anything and you haven't broken any laws. What do you do? The "honest" answer is obviously to inform the police/bank and let them handle it. The alternative is to spend it and make your life more secure.

I'm thinking that at least 50% of people would pick the alternative option and risk it. It's such a huge chance to change your life and you know you may never see that much money again. Yeah, it's dodgy and seems to be ghost money from nowhere that could end up getting you into so much trouble, but you'll never know what could be unless you jump in and take it. 

I'm the kind of person who would take the risk and see where it leads. If it lands me in trouble, so be it, I will accept my fate and take responsibility. I know it's not really particularly accurate to this GTA Online situation but it's another way of looking at morals. Some people take the risk, others see it as too much of a burden and refuse to get involved. If Rockstar decide to punish me for taking risks then I am in no position to complain.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every player is responsible for their gaming experience. The best thing is to avoid this money and if you are given it you should inform Rockstar straight away and not spend a cent of it. I'm not going to do that, though. I want to enjoy the game as it is right now.

amine-griffy
  • amine-griffy

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

I don't give a sh*t if they ban me or not . I'm moving on anyway to another games and another gen if they ban all glitchers Rockstar will end up with empty servers

jdkzombie
  • jdkzombie

Professional Zombie

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

You know, if they had simply not blatantly tried to impose the cash cards as a alternative to tedious grinding, many people would have never glitched money.

I'd farm Violent duct for hours.  I'd play every mission with my crew, I made 5.9 million from jobs alone.  5.9 million.  Now, Rockstar has blanket nerfed every single method of decent legitimate income, and for what?  It's not like you dont wind up playing the same damn mission several hundred times.  It's not like the missions are any easier.

Take Simeon dumb ass for example, chase down a mother f*cking Corvette across the map, which can either be completed insanely fast by a lucky shot, or a hour long escapade across LS because of a botched shot....and for what....500 f*cking dollars?  No.

Base Invaders, fly into Zancudo, and take on the army of Robocop Army marines or whatever they are supposed to be and retrieve a cargobob along with blowing up some jets.....11k.  When it was 25k, and well worth every penny from how much of a pain that mission could be.

I was gifted 59 million, and I graciously accepted it.  Why?  No more bullsh*t grinding.  I've played my fair share of grindy games, and GTA is not the model for it.  It's not an mmo, there is no economy.

I can guarantee you, if Rockstar ever did a complete wipe of everyones stuff, instantly, they'd lose more customers with zero hope of getting them back.  Take the hacked money, fine, but don't you f*cking touch the stuff and levels I earned by playing normally.  

The future of this game is crap.  Come on, this buggy mess took 5 years? 250 million to make?  Seriously?  They should corn hole this game, and re release it for next gen with everything turned up to 11.  I wouldn't mind starting over if it was on a more powerful console.

And if you think this game is hacked now?  Release it for pc and overnight the game will be so far gone, you'll never fix it.  Load into a public room and get spawn killed over and over by a mod on someone's pc, or have your progress corrupted by a game lobby so hacked apart that your packet data sent to their servers gets all butterf*cked.

If Rockstar would stop worrying about cash cards, just remove them,  Get rid of them.  Begone with their concept.  Return mission payouts to day 1 reward levels, allow us to replay the missions if we choose, allow you to gift friends that small loan they need for whatever, I'm willing to bet a lot of people would go back to legit(ish) play.  Probably not, but the hope is good.

• Bluesun62 likes this

OurJud
  • OurJud

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:50 AM

We're coming round to group bum you.

Marvellous! Give me a time so I can make sure I'm in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users