Can't feel the homie Franklin

66 replies to this topic
Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

I tried it but i just can't feel Franklin as a character. In my opinion, the voice actor did a tremendous job in voicing him. But i just can't feel the character. When you switch to him he does something cheesy like eating or watching television. When i play as him i don't know, it feels like i am playing some generic guy. Trevor is a psycho, maniac does crazy things. Micheal has a family and has a wealthy home, and is a former bank robber with skills But Franklin...don't know. What do other people think about this?

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

I blame it on yoga.

Lukezordz
  • Lukezordz

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

I blame it on yoga.

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Franklin is pretty damn boring for a Protag.  He would've done much better as the annoying sidekick, and we got Lamar instead.  He's an interesting fella, with just enough "dont give a f*ck" to be a fun protag.

TheDust
  • TheDust

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yeah he's quite a boring dude. But it's because of the three intertwining stories, GTA V was about Michael before anyone else, and I feel that Franklin was the last one to come on board. The story dynamic is mostly about Michael and Trevor let's be honest and Franklin is kind of a background character. It should have been more about his life and later on in the story they all team up.

• Wolfhuman likes this

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I found the kind of forced hostility Franklin had towards Michael near the last half of the game quite unnatural. 

I get that he was tired of getting pushed to the side and regarded as a grunt but... seriously, lol. 

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:18 PM Edited by darkdayz, 17 December 2013 - 03:18 PM.

I tried it but i just can't feel Franklin as a character. In my opinion, the voice actor did a tremendous job in voicing him. But i just can't feel the character. When you switch to him he does something cheesy like eating or watching television. When i play as him i don't know, it feels like i am playing some generic guy. Trevor is a psycho, maniac does crazy things. Micheal has a family and has a wealthy home, and is a former bank robber with skills But Franklin...don't know. What do other people think about this?

Rockstar chose to push game mechanic boundries in GTA V, wheras IV pushed Rockstars storytelling. This is the result. Characters aren't as well realised and you cannot relate as much because you're constantly switching between them and switching between personalities, there is detail you can only notice and remember in characters by spending a lot of time with them. Hence previous protagonists. Can the series go back to one character? Who knows, but I think we won't ever see a strong story like pre-IV unless they revert back to one character.

greenthumbzup
  • greenthumbzup

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Franklin becomes boring right after he moves into the big house.. Sort of same thing will happen with Michael once the family moves out. 

• Lil ski and jptawok like this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yeah he's quite a boring dude. But it's because of the three intertwining stories, GTA V was about Michael before anyone else, and I feel that Franklin was the last one to come on board. The story dynamic is mostly about Michael and Trevor let's be honest and Franklin is kind of a background character. It should have been more about his life and later on in the story they all team up.

This.

Rockstar chose to push game mechanic boundries in GTA V, wheras IV pushed Rockstars storytelling. This is the result. Characters aren't as well realised and you cannot relate as much because you're constantly switching between them and switching between personalities, there is detail you can only notice and remember in characters by spending a lot of time with them. Hence previous protagonists. Can the series go back to one character? Who knows, but I think we won't ever see a strong story like pre-IV unless they revert back to one character.

In my opinion, even with the one protagonist thing. I also didn't feel some other guys. Claude, CJ, Luiz. Claude, a mute what is a good thing and bad thing. Makes rgw character stick out more but we still couldn't hear is background or life in general. CJ, co leader/leader of a gang but still, he was getting pushed the whole time. i couldn't completely feel him. Luiz lopez, tbh this is probably the most boring character in the whole gta series. Nothing really special about him. So even with the one protagonist thing, there is no guarantee that a character can be felt.

• Dr. Robotnik likes this

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:43 PM Edited by Official General, 17 December 2013 - 03:43 PM.

Trevor is a psycho, maniac does crazy things. 

Yeah because that alone is what makes Trevor so amazing and great :sarcasm:

Back to Franklin, quite simply put, Rockstar f**ked up his story. Very little was shed on his gang associations, his life in the hood, his relationship with his ex, and his friendship with Lamar. Or they just neglected to develop most of it. Halfway through the game, he was scripted to mostly be in the background. It seems like what other guy's stated before was right, in the end he just turned out be the 'token black guy'. 

Blame Rockstar and not Franklin.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Back to Franklin, quite simply put, Rockstar f**ked up his story. Very little was shed on his gang associations, his life in the hood, his relationship with his ex, and his friendship with Lamar. Or they just neglected to develop most of it. Halfway through the game, he was scripted to mostly be in the background. It seems like what other guy's stated before was right, in the end he just turned out be the 'token black guy'. 

Actually it does, those things influence his story, what he does and etc. but even if you don't see it well then its still 10 times better then watching television or eating chips.

Where do i say that i blame Franklin? R* should indeed but more focus on him and not having him in the background.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

I just wished they never bothered with Franklin, and just concentrated on Michael and Trevor. We could've had a much longer and in-depth story.

But I guess R* had to include the boring generic gangbanger angle, otherwise the SA kids would be having their little tantrums (which they still are anyway...).

• visionist, GroundZero, MasterToothDecayer and 1 other like this

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Franklin is a creation of R*, and therefore an extension of them.  Does your logic center ever fire on all cylinders, or are you always in a constant state of misfire?

I'm going to regret asking this, but pray tell, what makes Trevor so awesome other than the fact he's a complete psycho that will kill his close friends for so little as laughing at him?  That very out of place "heart felt moment" he has every 10 missions?  I'm waiting....

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:30 PM Edited by Xerukal, 17 December 2013 - 04:33 PM.

Franklin is a creation of R*, and therefore an extension of them.  Does your logic center ever fire on all cylinders, or are you always in a constant state of misfire?

I'm going to regret asking this, but pray tell, what makes Trevor so awesome other than the fact he's a complete psycho that will kill his close friends for so little as laughing at him?  That very out of place "heart felt moment" he has every 10 missions?  I'm waiting....

The fact that he has an actual sense of wisdom and smarts behind his glorious "random shocking psycho guy who kills all the time" mask. His unique honesty and loyalty to the closest of his friends, also. I saw a lot of myself in him when it comes to the honesty and loyalty part, in fact. So make of that what you will. 

He's like the really crazy uncle of Michael's family, as well. He clearly cares for Michael's kids, as well as Michael. It could almost be a romantic comedy if you took out all the severely mature parts. 

His disturbing parts do tend to go beyond "OGM NO HE KILLED AND TORTURED THIS GUY! SO SHOCKING! SO TERRIFYING". The way he uses rape and sexual tension to intimidate and show dominance. 

I wouldn't say a lot of these things make him "awesome" as a person. But as a performed character.

• GroundZero likes this

Hardcore Savage
  • Hardcore Savage

Realest nigga on the forum tho

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

It's because of sever lack of gang activity for the character who is supposed to be a gang member. He didn't have a story of his own. He was just forced into the game as another thing for Michael. In the game, his family and Franklin are the only things we could say that Michael really cared about.

OOM 313
  • OOM 313

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

I just wished they never bothered with Franklin, and just concentrated on Michael and Trevor. We could've had a much longer and in-depth story.

But I guess R* had to include the boring generic gangbanger angle, otherwise the SA kids would be having their little tantrums (which they still are anyway...).

THIS. Soooo much this!!!
  • John Smith likes this

alex3
  • alex3

\m/ o_o \m/

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

I just hate the fact that they took him away from the hood and moved him up in the lonely Vinewood hills :(

• Ray and BrainFreeze like this

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:16 PM Edited by PedoneRosso, 17 December 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Imho, Trevor is the correct personification of The GTA player:

how else could one justify the kind of things you do when you play the games of the series?

These games are not limited to give you control of a character who makes his life through criminal activities (like so many other games are), but they give you the free roaming experience which is indeed the strong point of the GTA concept.

But during the free roaming itself you just drive over people and vehicles all the time ("this was a fine automobile" and "it's entirely your fault!"), you rob and kill people just "for fun" or in order to see how a new weapon works on someone's body ("why oh why do you exist!?"), you go on the top of a building in order to land some choppers in a colorful fashion using your bazooka, and so forth and so on.

All these things are possibly quite the bahaviour one could expect from a character such as Trevor: this is the first time that Rockstar gave the players a suitable alterego for their normal game play behaviour.

• Wolfhuman, GroundZero, John Smith and 1 other like this

Zorenic
  • Zorenic

I'll have a number nine.

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

After Trevor kicks in the story, Franklin felt so underwritten. They gave him less attention, and I think all three characters should have had equal as much attention.

If they gave Franklin more missions than he already has, I would've been more happy.

But yeah, the second half of the game Franklin became really boring.

Zodape
  • Zodape

El Crápula

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Before he moves to the new house, he has better character switch scenes, involving separating Lamar from cops/gangsters.

Yeah.

Okay, the guy's pretty boring.

bobtje333
  • bobtje333

dog

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

i like him and i like his house in the hills to

Poor Franklin dude, see what the bad people are thinking about you boy

• RaeTrillionaire likes this

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

He didn't have a powerful character. Tommy Vercetti though.. whoa boy. I guess the 3 protags badass levels aren't high enough. Trevor's badass. But that's just cause he's just an angry moron stuck in a hick town doing nothing but meth all day. Funny, yeah. Does he get the job done? Hell no.

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

I was starting to like Franklin in the beginning of the story when he was more involved with the gangs/repossessing, but later in the game when he moved to the sp00ky Vinewood Hills and started 'living his own life', I lost interest in him and even today (a month or so after completing the game), I rarely play as Franklin because he just doesn't have that spark unlike Michael or Trevor.

SamHBS
  • SamHBS

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

I like Franklin because he can talk with dogs

• jptawok likes this

cldd
  • cldd

Rock On

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

You guys do realize Franklin is CJ post SA? 

CallumL
  • CallumL

I love you, but you're an asshole.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

I like Franklin, however I wish he was more into the all hood and gang type thing. Thats what I thought he was going to be like when I saw the trailer. 

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

i like him and i like his house in the hills to

Poor Franklin dude, see what the bad people are thinking about you boy

Don't make it harder then it is, bro. I like him but i just don't feel him.

Damn, you reminded me that i should write a x mas card to the homie Franklin!

• bobtje333 likes this

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

He has a very boring life. I once switched to him and the motherf*cker was washing his motorcycle in a rainstorm. 

• OGLuke, hooma and ThinRedLine1981 like this

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:35 PM

Franklin's the most realistic character. He's me if I was a rich criminal.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:36 PM Edited by SmoothGTA, 17 December 2013 - 09:38 PM.

He's my most played character by far so yeah, some people like him. Mike was only interesting during the story and Trevor being crazy wasn't enough to make him interesting(all the characters are crazy)

Franklin is the gifted amateur about to go pro. He gets his money without getting dead. That said his story was far too short.

Still, in freeroam it's all about Franklin for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users