Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will the PC Version beat the console version? (SPOILERS MAYBE)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

Lock and ban this idiot OP. Just looking for a PC vs Console war.

• Canucks likes this

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:37 PM Edited by spamtackey, 15 December 2013 - 08:40 PM.

GTA 5 started actual development in 2009 or 2010. Next-gen consoles weren't a thing yet. You want them to rewrite the WHOLE game, costing them millions upon millions of dollars, JUST to release it for a platform where they would sell absolutely NOTHING? 

Remember, by the time both next-gen consoles were announced, GTA 5 was supposed to be released.

:panic:

Actually, there were dev kits going around as early as 2012 if some of the stuff we saw back then was true. It probably was true because game devs get information on stuff like that earlier than the public does. I assume they started work mid-to-late 2010 which would give them maybe a year or two before next-gen became a factor.Maybe earlier than that as we don't know just how early devs get these dev kits. Interestingly, there is stuff in the unaltered patches that used the codenames of those consoles as well as PC with bugs relating to 'those versions', which suggests they were at least looking into a next-gen version. Maybe they wanted to try to release on all of the major platforms and have a version ready for next-gen when it came out (with a slight upgrade fee  :sarcasm:) but likely couldn't do it. 

I suspect they ran out of time and got to what should have been crunch time and finishing the game and all that, but instead decided to delay it to add in some extra stuff (properties perhaps). They probably realized they weren't going to get it out for all major platforms and canceled or held off on any next-gen/PC version they had in the works in order to focus on the PS3/360 to make sure they got it out on time. 

Though really, you're right that they shouldn't expect a next gen version. There is nothing greedy or anti-consumer about going after the largest audience. If they messed up a little in developing GTA V it's not that big a deal, it's still a good game. Hopefully they'll learn from the experience and do better with GTA 6 but they're still going to go after a profit. That's what game companies do. Even those companies you love like Valve want your money. They kinda need it to keep making those games you like. If they just gave them out for free to the smallest audience possible they'd be bankrupt and we wouldn't have a GTA V to complain about. 

• Geralt of Rivia likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

GTA 5 started actual development in 2009 or 2010. Next-gen consoles weren't a thing yet. You want them to rewrite the WHOLE game, costing them millions upon millions of dollars, JUST to release it for a platform where they would sell absolutely NOTHING? 

Remember, by the time both next-gen consoles were announced, GTA 5 was supposed to be released.

Actually, there were dev kits going around as early as 2012 if some of the stuff we saw back then was true. It probably was true because game devs get information on stuff like that earlier than the public does. I assume they started work mid-to-late 2010 which would give them maybe a year or two before next-gen became a factor.Maybe earlier than that as we don't know just how early devs get these dev kits. Interestingly, there is stuff in the unaltered patches that used the codenames of those consoles as well as PC with bugs relating to 'those versions', which suggests they were at least looking into a next-gen version. Maybe they wanted to try to release on all of the major platforms and have a version ready for next-gen when it came out (with a slight upgrade fee  :sarcasm:) but likely couldn't do it. 

I suspect they ran out of time and got to what should have been crunch time and finishing the game and all that, but instead decided to delay it to add in some extra stuff (properties perhaps). They probably realized they weren't going to get it out for all major platforms and canceled or held off on any next-gen/PC version they had in the works in order to focus on the PS3/360 to make sure they got it out on time. 

Though really, you're right that they shouldn't expect a next gen version. There is nothing greedy or anti-consumer about going after the largest audience. If they messed up a little in developing GTA V it's not that big a deal, it's still a good game. Hopefully they'll learn from the experience and do better with GTA 6 but they're still going to go after a profit. That's what game companies do. Even those companies you love like Valve want your money. They kinda need it to keep making those games you like. If they just gave them out for free to the smallest audience possible they'd be bankrupt and we wouldn't have a GTA V to complain about. 

Yeah, I know.

The fact that this guy expected R* to rewrite the WHOLE game (Because completely different hardware/architecture, on top of the game being almost done)...I just don't know what to say. The guy's stupid, That's my conclusion. Maybe a bit delusional.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, I know.

The fact that this guy expected R* to rewrite the WHOLE game (Because completely different hardware/architecture, on top of the game being almost done)...I just don't know what to say. The guy's stupid, That's my conclusion. Maybe a bit delusional.

I've come to believe that most gamers think they know how games are made just by playing them. That's the only way I can understand people saying such things. Of course most people seem to only think of the creative aspect of making a game and not the "oh crap we need to get paid" aspect. 

• Geralt of Rivia likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, I know.

I've come to believe that most gamers think they know how games are made just by playing them. That's the only way I can understand people saying such things. Of course most people seem to only think of the creative aspect of making a game and not the "oh crap we need to get paid" aspect. 

I also think that. What's also annoying is some people saying stuff like "Well, R* could've easily done this!" or "This is an easy fix!" while having absolutely no idea about what they're talking about.

• spamtackey likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:37 PM

lol judging by pc game sales stats why would they waste there time and money porting it to PC

Judging by games like Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous making millions of dollars even though they are both in alpha phase shows that PC gamers are willing to pay for a quality product if they are treated with respect. Respect is something Ubisoft and Rockstar to name a couple have lost from the PC community with their bad habits.

There's two consoles to play GTA V on, so that's double the community PC has already. Of course it will beat it more on sales, but the other stuff the PC will probably beat it because with the PC you can manipulate the game to how ever you want, making it repeatability totally endless. PS3/Xbox can only go so far as completing the game over and over.

PC community > console community
Just like quality > quantity
posts like yours,Is why i would be ok if they took their sweet ass time

Fine with me. If it means a more stable product then I'm all for it. 

At least when I need help with a game I actually get it from people that are willing to lend a hand.

Can't say the same from my experience on PS3. And I'm willing to bet that the Xbox community is no better.

People are stilling buying GTA IV on Steam because of the modding community. I betcha can't say the same for the consoles  :turn:

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:43 PM Edited by Xerukal, 15 December 2013 - 09:53 PM.

Yeah, I know.

I was going to leave a somewhat civilized and composed reply for you. But I didn't need to get called stupid and delusional at the end of this bad day.

So, for the purpose of venting; Go f*ck yourself.

Thanks, and sorry. 

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, I know.

I'm not stupid. Nor am I delusional. But I am uninformed (in pure detail) as to how these things work. So what you should've said is; "This guy is uninformed".

You had to take the aggressive route, though. You didn't have to, or have any need to do so. But you did. Why did you? How does this serve your purpose in proving me wrong?

I too the aggressive route because you acted like you knew exactly what you were saying.

You started out your comment with: "This is all very clearly Rockstar's fault."

I mean, that's enough. However, let's dwell deeper:

"They COULD'VE waited for next-gen and they COULD'VE optimized it even more, but they didn't. And I know they said why they didn't, but I bet It's a bullsh*t reason. Because we all know they just didn't want to miss out on the money. "

"I believe it is perfectly fine to be upset at Rockstar for giving you the more unfinished version of the game just so they could hug the money faster."

"Like, y'know, not f*cking over your fanbase by purposely releasing an inferior version for money, and instead profit with the notion of releasing it on next-gen and making people think; "Wow, it's a good thing they waited for next-gen. The game looks and performs amazing". "

All comments which make it seem like you know what you're talking about. You started hating while only looking at one side. You never even took into consideration that, oh, you know, this game was almost done by the time next-gen was even announced?

Plus, this forum is a cesspool. Too many retards here to not be aggressive.

Xerukal
  • Xerukal

Kind ol' Trev

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, I know.

I'm not stupid. Nor am I delusional. But I am uninformed (in pure detail) as to how these things work. So what you should've said is; "This guy is uninformed".

You had to take the aggressive route, though. You didn't have to, or have any need to do so. But you did. Why did you? How does this serve your purpose in proving me wrong?

I too the aggressive route because you acted like you knew exactly what you were saying.

"They COULD'VE waited for next-gen and they COULD'VE optimized it even more, but they didn't. And I know they said why they didn't, but I bet It's a bullsh*t reason. Because we all know they just didn't want to miss out on the money. "

"I believe it is perfectly fine to be upset at Rockstar for giving you the more unfinished version of the game just so they could hug the money faster."

"Like, y'know, not f*cking over your fanbase by purposely releasing an inferior version for money, and instead profit with the notion of releasing it on next-gen and making people think; "Wow, it's a good thing they waited for next-gen. The game looks and performs amazing". "

All comments which make it seem like you know what you're talking about. You started hating while only looking at one side. You never even took into consideration that, oh, you know, this game was almost done by the time next-gen was even announced?

You'd know I'm not a retard by looking at my profile and previous posts, though.

Because my mind and judgement is so clouded from the bad things that have transpired throughout my day, I can't really begin to write a constructive post that would make sense in defending my position. 

This is no problem of anyone's but my own. But I find myself in a position where I'd simply like to say; I'm sorry for not being able to provide a good response. 

I am limited to a blunt vocabulary by the sheer amount of frustration pent up inside of me.

So I guess I'll write something nice later. 

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Am I the only one on the face of the planet that's not a R* employee that thinks GTA V won't have a PS4/XBO version?

The other GTAs weren't released for the newer generation, so what makes this any different?

Also the fact that DanHouser said this specifically a few days before release...

http://gamerant.com/...rockstar-games/

The GTA games have always come to PC, that's a given whether or not Rockstar doesn't announce it right away, but they never ported the games to the next console generation.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Yeah, I know.

You'd know I'm not a retard by looking at my profile and previous posts, though.

Because my mind and judgement is so clouded from the bad things that have transpired throughout my day, I can't really begin to write a constructive post that would make sense in defending my position. 

This is no problem of anyone's but my own. But I find myself in a position where I'd simply like to say; I'm sorry for not being able to provide a good response. 

I am limited to a blunt vocabulary by the sheer amount of frustration pent up inside of me.

So I guess I'll write something nice later. 

Thing is, it's hard to look at other's posts now that it only shows the last like 6 or something like that. Plus, I've never, ever seen you post before, so there's also that. Thought you were just another blind R* hater (There's A LOT), hence the aggression.

But yeah, you saw the other side of the argument you were waging, and that's more than 99% of the forum would do. Good on you.

darkwar854
  • darkwar854

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:00 AM

I don't even know why they would bother porting it to pc.  Pc already has GTA 4, so someone could make a 3d model of the gta 5 map, and texture it, and mod it into gta 4.  So why bother?

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:14 AM

Oh, ho ho, of course it will!

:p

But seriously, please use the existing PC thread and try your best not to start a flame war.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users