Quantcast

» «
Photo

What are your thoughts on songs being banned from the radio?

17 replies to this topic
Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

I remember after 9/11 the song
"It's The End of The World as We Know It" by R.E.M was temporally banned from the radio, after the New Town massacre the song "Pumped Up Kicks" was also temporally banned from being played over the air. Do you think these bans are a good idea?

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:49 AM

People listen to the radio?

• ShadowDog94 and Lagful like this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

People listen to the radio?

Yeah I actually still listen to cassette tape, up until about 6 years ago I had a car with a 8 track player

android
  • android

Something witty, something sh*tty

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

Why was "Pumped Up Kicks" banned...?

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

One company owns most of my local stations after the monopoly restrictions were removed and they all went to sh*t so I don't really listen to the radio anymore but I understand temporarily removing certain songs from the playlist to be sensitive. I'm ok with it.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

Basketballs don't hold grudges.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:01 PM Edited by Shenmue18, 15 December 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Pumped Up Kicks is about a school shooting. The New Town massacre was at a school where about 20 kindergarten kids, 6 teachers and the killer's own mother were are murdered.  Then the killer committed suicide like the punk pussy he was.

• android likes this

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:26 PM Edited by Crazyeighties, 15 December 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Pumped Up Kicks is about a school shooting. The New Town massacre was at a school where about 20 kindergarten kids, 6 teachers and the killer's own mother were are murdered.  Then the killer committed suicide like the punk pussy he was.

, pumped up kicks is about bullying and the effect it has on kids, it was the lyrics that got it banned the lyrics are as follows "singing all the other kids with their pumped up kicks you better run better run, out run my gun. All the other kids with the pumped up kicks out better better run faster then my built

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

Who gives a sh*t about the radio? lol

biggsull
  • biggsull

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:49 AM Edited by biggsull, 17 December 2013 - 12:50 AM.

Conditioning people to have rights taken away and to get used to censorship of speech, they are having every other right taken away slowly I dont see why speech wouldnt go too.

When someone doesnt like hearing something, they can just not listen to it. Thats how its supposed to be unless you are rallying to have a group of people killed or something... now if this is just radio stations all agreeing not to play it and not a legal ban, thats a bit different. I doubt its actually out of respect either way, if it was a radio station choice itd be for the publicity involved.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

quoted for truth.

crass as it may be, he has a point.

I guess radio is still a big deal to some people/in certain parts of the country, but the radio not how most young people use or listen to music anymore. radio censorship isn't anywhere near as interesting as television, film, or literature censorship. radio only affects poor old people.

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

If You Know What I Mean

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:32 AM

If or when I become a musician, my goal would to be banned from the radio.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

/ / / / / AMG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

It is quite sh*t today. I only like HD radio.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

My thoughts: I feel like more songs need to be banned from the radio, at least that's how I feel any time I turn it on.

Too many horrible songs played that on thing.

DillBagnr
  • DillBagnr

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm against censorship always, even if it is censoring things I don't want to hear like most radio music.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Damage, Inc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

quoted for truth.

crass as it may be, he has a point.
I guess radio is still a big deal to some people/in certain parts of the country, but the radio not how most young people use or listen to music anymore. radio censorship isn't anywhere near as interesting as television, film, or literature censorship. radio only affects poor old people.
Radio is great, you just have to find the right station which can hard to do, oh wait we have the Internet. I love Triple J and I believe it has changed the way that music works in Australia, and maybe even other parts of the world with its famous Hottest 100. However, probably like many people on this forum, I'm not the biggest fan of the stations that play the commercial hits, however those ones do have their advantages such as the times that they have talk shows on (e.g. Hughesy and Kate on Nova 100) that kick ass over the smaller stations like Triple J that are famous for their music playlists.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:50 AM

Radio is great, you just have to find the right station which can hard to do, oh wait we have the Internet.

well that's what I mean.

terrestrial radio is garbage.

AM and FM in the US might as well be dead air. it's all sports talk radio and Billboard top 100. they repeat the same playlist every single day. it's god awful.

satellite and internet radio are a completely different story.

I don't even consider them radio. you can definitely find quality stations playing quality music (that doesn't repeat and isn't just pop charts) if you're willing to look hard for it, especially online. but it's not as easy as it used to be. finding new/good music takes effort.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Damage, Inc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

well that's what I mean.

terrestrial radio is garbage.
AM and FM in the US might as well be dead air. it's all sports talk radio and Billboard top 100. they repeat the same playlist every single day. it's god awful.

satellite and internet radio are a completely different story.
I don't even consider them radio. you can definitely find quality stations playing quality music (that doesn't repeat and isn't just pop charts) if you're willing to look hard for it, especially online. but it's not as easy as it used to be. finding new/good music takes effort.

When I said that "we have the Internet" I meant the Internet makes it a lot easier for us to find radio stations that play music that we like or talk about topics that are relevant to our taste. :)

I personally don't listen to any of those Internet radio stations but I have found numerous ones through the Internet that I like. Obviously the one I mentioned, Triple J, is a popular one but other frequencies I have discovered online, because I can't be bothered to tune in to every frequency and listen for half an hour to get a taste of it.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:55 PM

I'm against censorship always,

Ha, alright mate...

In response to the topic no songs were banned after 9/11 or Sandy Hook as far as I know. Decisions were made by certain people to not play particular songs on their radio stations for fear of causing offence. There was no actual "ban", just a short-term warning that playing those songs may be considered a little insensitive. It's pretty normal for TV and Radio schedules to be changed a little bit following a disaster or the death of a high-profile public figure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users