Photo

GTA V's driving physics.

21 replies to this topic
Kriegore85
  • Kriegore85

Seal Team Alpha

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

I know that there are hundreds of polls, and threads about this but I cant quite help but say;  Why does everyone HAVE to compare IV's driving to V. Neither are particularly realistic, In IV your basically driving on ice all the time. In V your driving on glue.

Just relax people and enjoy the game. if one isn't for you play the other and don't worry about how the other handles.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

High Roller

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

I don't enjoy the driving in V because I am naturallu picky and V just feels, it just takes away from the personality of driving for me.

Shootaholic
  • Shootaholic

zzzz....

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:03 PM

I like realistic physics and IV's physics were certainly more realistic.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:45 PM Edited by Vooodu, 13 December 2013 - 05:46 PM.

In IV your basically driving on ice all the time. In V your driving on glue.

This is totally not true.

I see these comments and laugh. GTA 4 is like driving a boat or driving on ice? Did we play the same game or are you guys really high and can't drive worth sh*t?

GTA 4 driving was fine.

Also, if you think GTA V is like driving on glue then why is it so easy to spin out OR go flying off into the air from tiny bumps or trash on the ground?

GTA V has easier steering. It does seem like it grips more which means less braking on turns. But GTA V has horrible weight mechanics. Sure it seems as if it has better traction tills someone/something minor effects it and you go flying off in any random direction as if there's ZERO traction.

Ever see a Sanchez (dirtbike) pit maneuver a BIG truck in GTA 4? Because you can in GTA V because of the slop weight mechanics.
  • Buford T Justice likes this

Kriegore85
  • Kriegore85

Seal Team Alpha

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

I see these comments and laugh. GTA 4 is like driving a boat or driving on ice? Did we play the same game or are you guys really high and can't drive worth sh*t?

GTA 4 driving was fine.

Congratulations on being an asshole, it will get you far in life. But that is besides the point unless you drive with smooth as glass tires and are used to drifting when making even the simplest turn it just not physically real. BUT guess what neither is V, which was the point I am trying to get across, especially to the people who have posted half a million, "I hate Gta V for this and this reason IV was better."  each game is something new, if you don't like it don't play it.

AndyC-M
  • AndyC-M

Ride or Die!

• Members
  • England

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

i love the physics of V, however, i havnt played IV and dont intend do, as it would be a step back, however ive watched plenty of in game walkthroughs etc and how awful it looks

taking a corner the car body rolls so much its almost on 2 wheels, that there alone is not realistic

CrazyRay
  • CrazyRay

8" Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:37 AM

...In IV your basically driving on ice all the time. In V your driving on glue.

Nope, not at all...and you're not the first with this "glue" comment, where is everyone getting this bullsh*t from?

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:43 AM

...In IV your basically driving on ice all the time. In V your driving on glue.

Nope, not at all...and you're not the first with this "glue" comment, where is everyone getting this bullsh*t from?

It was from Rockstar's original description of the driving.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:48 AM

I don't care what anyone says the driving in V is really good. 

I love it, I can zip down windy roads perfectly on motorcycles as compared to in IV. 

I put in IV the other day and put it down after about ten minutes. Everything feels so outdated now, In due time people will realize how much V's driving was stepped up. It's like a perfect mix between IV's and San Andreas.

This is also coming from a car fan and someone who was very worried V's driving would be screwed up pre-release.

• RockstarMark and xenorama like this

Hghdra
  • Hghdra

Trees talk... But they ain't very interesting

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:49 AM

GTA 4 driving was fine.

Also, if you think GTA V is like driving on glue then why is it so easy to spin out OR go flying off into the air from tiny bumps or trash on the ground?

GTA V has easier steering. It does seem like it grips more which means less braking on turns. But GTA V has horrible weight mechanics. Sure it seems as if it has better traction tills someone/something minor effects it and you go flying off in any random direction as if there's ZERO traction.

Ever see a Sanchez (dirtbike) pit maneuver a BIG truck in GTA 4? Because you can in GTA V because of the slop weight mechanics.

A Sanchez and even a faggio has spun me out in a Sandking.

OT: GTA V Has arcady Physics, and IV has more realistic Physics, GTA4 Physics + GTA5 Driving Mechanics would be amazing, and a lot better, you would have good handling, and you wouldn't be thrown across the map due to ramping off of a Cheetah.

• Buford T Justice likes this

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:07 AM

GTA 4 driving was fine.

Congratulations on being an asshole, it will get you far in life.

I have got far in life... And thanks man :D

AndyC-M
  • AndyC-M

Ride or Die!

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

the road platform of V is very detailed, uneven levels, potholes, hills, etc

if youre going fast and tray and brake on a bend or clip a curb, youll spin out, i agree to an extent that when hitting a bump the car can seem to turn into a plane, this should be altered, many bumps the suspension will just raise the car then bottom out the sump...

but what fun would that be?

matajuegos01
  • matajuegos01

Stalker

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:51 AM

I liked IV's driving physics better but I got used to V's, anyway I hope that rockstar created a middle ground so they aren't that fuzzy

Camsterguy
  • Camsterguy

Emmett Brown

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:30 AM

Who else agrees editing handling.dat for singleplayer should be in a built-in feature?

CrazyRay
  • CrazyRay

8" Member

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:05 AM

ITT; people that can't drive

There is nothing wrong with the driving, just the drivers

unfairlane
  • unfairlane

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

Physics are not too bad, but most of the vehicles seems to have no shocks at all, just springs. Even with "upgraded" suspension they keep on rockling like crazy :blink:

ROT Assassin
  • ROT Assassin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

I agree with OP IV was like driving on ice, I love driving in V I don't care what you haters say.

Buford T Justice
  • Buford T Justice

Is that so?

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

The vehicles handling is what it is. Do I like it? No. Every vehicle is super stiff, my Patriot has about the same amount of body roll in a corner as my Infernus, they made all the cars feel too similar. I have gotten used to it and can tell the (slight) differences each car has but it's not visually apparent. My Patriot won't corner as fast as my Infernus but instead of being able to see my Patriot body roll through a corner its tires just loose traction and it slides (perfectly level). It just looks silly.

But the real issue is how cars react with each other. It's blatantly obvious that something is wrong with the physics. Here is an example: You could take a  3,200 pound 2wd compact car and I could take my 6,500 pound 4wd Patriot, we could bring them nose to nose and you sit there with your brakes on and I'll floor it, I will be spinning all 4 of my wheels and your compact car won't budge. It's like the actual physics have been done away with and the coding of the tires now determines all.

You can take a moped and pit maneuver an 18 wheeler or other huge vehicle...that's not right.

A super car can off road faster than an off road vehicle...that's not right.

The transfer of momentum is all screwed up. A semi truck slows down to almost a stop if a cop goes in front of it to box it in. A truck like that would have no problem pushing a car at speeds, even if all of the cars tires were on full lock and the thing was in park.

It completely changes the way the game is played. No longer can I use my car as a weapon against people taking cover behind their own car. I can't push their car on top of them anymore unless I'm going mach 20. I now have to get out and have a shoot out with them.

It is in no way an improvement over how it used to be.

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

^Well said, couldn't have written it better. I'll send you a cookie one day.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

I agree with OP IV was like driving on ice, I love driving in V I don't care what you haters say.

IM not hater... But I can easily say driving in GTA IV was not like driving on ice.

If you slid to much you where driving tooo fast or flooring it too much.  End of story really.

soggyinvert
  • soggyinvert

Playa

• Members

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:34 AM

I loved 4's physics and while I do miss them sometimes, I'm glad for 5s. I like to play racing sims so i was initially concerned but think about what would it be like actually playing the game with 4s physics.
There are a lot of hills so you would constantly slide out, the map is big, sometimes you just want to traverse it quickly without having to sweat worrying about hitting a bump etc etc etc. it's not a racing sim, it's a game to make you feel badass.

That's not to be said that driving in gta5 is too good, whilst it is incredibly good (and totally unrealistic), it still allowed plenty of room to master and home your skills. Like rock climbing, seriously, you can't just smash the throttle and drive at the rock, you need skill and lots of practice. Even the racing, while at first May seem too easy, you'd be dreadfully wrong should you go up against people who actually race... Remember that most of the gta audience is little kids who wanna play gangster and pretend they are in a fast and furious movie, the proper racer crowd is a lot smaller.

I got a bit distracted there lol
But what I'm trying to get across is, stop bagging it until you can tell me you've completely mastered it. There are so many things to try in the game related to driving, and some quite challenging..

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

The physics in GTA IV was a lot more realistic. The only improvement in GTA V is the damage model, but then, vehicles are not as sensitive to damage as in GTA IV - with one exception and that is that in GTA V you can blow a vehicle up by crashing a patriot into it. It's a shame that the driving in GTA IV wasn't improved and worked on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users