My Social Network

12 replies to this topic
Spider262
  • Spider262

Give be freedom, Give be Internet :)

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:52 AM

I have created a social network using phpDolphin!

So,

How it looks?

What are the things that I have to change?

What are the main skills to be pro in this business?

http://a7na.com

OMFGSolaX
  • OMFGSolaX

Cheese! :D

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:12 AM Edited by OMFGSolaX, 13 December 2013 - 11:14 AM.

I will be blunt. If you feel offended, please bear in mind, that i want to give you criticism.

One of the main skills to be successful in this business is creativity.

Your social network looks like facebook, google+ and/twitter mixed together, which is bad, since your page has no recognition value.

You should start from scratch, without the use of any CMS / pre made stuff.

It will take longer, especially if you have to learn it all from scratch, but the result will be worth it. Use what you have learned with phpDolphin and do it better with a new project with unique features etc. 

I for one would not register due to above mentioned reason alone.

There are many other important skills you need to have, but you will learn them in due time, while doing such a project from scratch.

If you want to continue to work on your project with phpDolphin, feel free to do so, maybe someone else has a better opinion.

edit:

I did a small check on your page

and errors like this should not be happening at all:

f668a6cf9d1b4c539e3f0f65f4917c15.png

• BnB likes this

Spider262
  • Spider262

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

I will be blunt. If you feel offended, please bear in mind, that i want to give you criticism.

One of the main skills to be successful in this business is creativity.

Your social network looks like facebook, google+ and/twitter mixed together, which is bad, since your page has no recognition value.

You should start from scratch, without the use of any CMS / pre made stuff.

It will take longer, especially if you have to learn it all from scratch, but the result will be worth it. Use what you have learned with phpDolphin and do it better with a new project with unique features etc. 

I for one would not register due to above mentioned reason alone.

There are many other important skills you need to have, but you will learn them in due time, while doing such a project from scratch.

If you want to continue to work on your project with phpDolphin, feel free to do so, maybe someone else has a better opinion.

edit:

I did a small check on your page

and errors like this should not be happening at all:

f668a6cf9d1b4c539e3f0f65f4917c15.png

This error appears because I am using free hosting, I will upgrade soon to payed one to avoid these error.

And this is a benefit of phpDolphin because its scripts are based on {site-url}/link

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

I work in the industry and have been [pretty much] since the beginning of the WWW.  I design big ass web based systems as part of my job.

If you are serious about wanting to be the next big "thing" I would strongly recommend you move away from any hosting sites(free or pay) and do everything on your computer(s) at home.  I'm not saying [permanently] host it out of your house, but you are going to need admin level access to the OS and maybe even the hardware - that kind of access you are not going to be able to get at any outside hosting firm.

Keep at it.

Spider262
  • Spider262

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

I work in the industry and have been [pretty much] since the beginning of the WWW.  I design big ass web based systems as part of my job.

If you are serious about wanting to be the next big "thing" I would strongly recommend you move away from any hosting sites(free or pay) and do everything on your computer(s) at home.  I'm not saying [permanently] host it out of your house, but you are going to need admin level access to the OS and maybe even the hardware - that kind of access you are not going to be able to get at any outside hosting firm.

Keep at it.

You are joking, Yes?, I am Egyptian and I say it loudly "Download is a pain in the ass, What about hosting?" and also, This will need a lot of money and this is only a non-profit students community then I started searching for cheap hosting like HostMetro.

P.S. : What I said above does not mean that I can not host on my computer, I already use WAMP server for test.

dudeofSANTOS
  • dudeofSANTOS

"Don't bother to wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

Cool,

Your Website haven't any Social features.........

This is first time in my life when I cant chat on social network......

Spider262
  • Spider262

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

Since I found it is not good enough, I started a blog.

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Doing a Social Network alone, and before you really have an extremely solid knowledge in OOP, is a baaaaad idea.  It'd be like making an MMO as your first game.  To top it off, you're gonna need a graphic artist, could probably use a CSS3 and/or Jquery expert (I mean EXPERT, there's so many little things in Facebook people don't even realize), and a buddy coder.

caddymanlnl
  • caddymanlnl

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Start a forum first, there aren't enough of those.

Seriously though, a blog it's good to learn on.

Do use a cms like WordPress or joomla if you are learning.

Do get decent hosting. Someone above mentioning hosting at home, that's a bit overkill. If you have WHM access you're fine.

Reference:I own my own web design company.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Don't use WordPress, it's about the least secure thing in the world. About 90% of all the exploit kits we deal with on a daily basis are being hosted on compromised WordPress pages, and it's hugely easy for even the most novice hackers to compromise using Metasploit or Nessus.

Joomla is much better.

caddymanlnl
  • caddymanlnl

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

every cms has its holes, please. wordpress can be very insecure i agree. after running 20+ installs of it you learn real fast where the holes are and patch them.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

Don't use WordPress, it's about the least secure thing in the world. About 90% of all the exploit kits we deal with on a daily basis are being hosted on compromised WordPress pages, and it's hugely easy for even the most novice hackers to compromise using Metasploit or Nessus.

Since I'm long removed from the world of network security, I'd love to know if you guys ran any stats on the compromised WP sites and such.  It would be interesting to see how many of them are just from abandoned sites, or if they are actually from currently active and maintained instances.

Spider262
  • Spider262

• Members
  • Egypt

Posted 25 December 2013 - 05:37 PM

The website is now a blog.

Thanks for your comments.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users