Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why did Obama promise to label GMO foods then not do it?

187 replies to this topic
Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Your bitter irony is not lost on me. D&D is where one goes to have serious discussions. It is also where one is expected to argue properly, though, so chasten thyself.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Your bitter irony is not lost on me. D&D is where one goes to have serious discussions. It is also where one is expected to argue properly, though, so chasten thyself.

Oh, so we can't get warnings for posting nonsense in threads in off-topic? That explains everything. Carry on gentlemen.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

If you're not so subtly referring, once again, to your 'warning' (reminder) for posting such crap as:

No m8 you've got It bass ackwards.

^Abusive

Was it a dodgy kebab

Yes, generalities.

Posting in troll thread

I'm going to go out to eat lunch today.

...then we can talk about that. Otherwise, can the theatrics and get back on topic.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:30 PM Edited by theadmiral, 18 December 2013 - 11:35 PM.

What in the world are you even on about?

ARE YOU ROBOT. DO YOU IRONY? ENJOY REST OF DAY.

I'm not sure why you are digging up old posts of mine and taking them out of context? Please elaborate.

Are you saying that you are allowed to post garbage because I've done it in the past? Or what? I'm really confused right now about why you are doing this.

fullmetal5550
  • fullmetal5550

Trick

• Members

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

Because like most politicians they promise to do things but never do them. 

MarshalMoo
  • MarshalMoo

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:38 PM Edited by JIMHO, 20 December 2013 - 06:39 PM.

You guys, I want to talk about labeling. Please?

Here are the labels: http://www.nytimes.c...-food.html?_r=0

The word "natural" is unregulated. If genetically engineered ingredients are labeled natural, then you will know where to buy genetically engineered ingredients. Buy natural. That's how it is currently, but putting this all in writing should clear things up a bit.

Brought to you by the same association that opposed the labeling initiatives.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:44 PM Edited by theadmiral, 20 December 2013 - 06:45 PM.

The word "natural" is unregulated. If genetically engineered ingredients are labeled natural, then you will know where to buy genetically engineered ingredients. Buy natural. That's how it is currently, but putting this all in writing should clear things up a bit.

I'm a bit confused, but I think that for "Organic", "GMO Free", or "Natural" to mean anything there needs to be a regulation body that makes certain this is actually true and certifies a product as such. Kosher has the right idea.

Right now, as your article states, organic and natural mean absolutely nothing in some cases..

MarshalMoo
  • MarshalMoo

Hateoful Player

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:24 PM Edited by JIMHO, 20 December 2013 - 07:26 PM.

I'm a bit confused, but I think that for "Organic", "GMO Free", or "Natural" to mean anything there needs to be a regulation body that makes certain this is actually true and certifies a product as such. Kosher has the right idea.

Right now, as your article states, organic and natural mean absolutely nothing in some cases..

"Organic" is regulated in the U.S., by the Organic Food Production Act of 1990, administered by the USDA National Organic Program. The USDA also looks over "natural" in the case of some meats. FDA on the other hand, doesn't even have a definition for natural. "GMO" is a loosy-goosy term (i.e., goose poop) everywhere. It doesn't even describe what people are using it for, which in most cases is a transgenic species. It is, however, in the National Organic Program final rule under excluded methods. The "Non-GMO project verified" products are phony because, while such products all have to be tested (something not required in organics in the U.S.), there's a point 09 percent tolerance level.

Editing to add that I agree terms like natural and "GMO" should be regulated just as organic. Instead, "GMOs" are being deregulated at an increased rate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users