Like, around 60% of you, I actually try to see past GTA V's broken aspects and enjoy the gameplay. However, I have a little problem correlating my household conformity to GTA V.
Most of us, we have obnoxious younger siblings or at least know that feeling. They make you want to GRAB them by the NECKS and SQUEEZE until there is NOTHING LEFT OF IT
You get the idea...
Anyway, I have to play GTA V on PS3 due to that the PC version hasn't been confirmed - let alone released as of yet. Sadly, my PS3 is in a communal area of the house where my parents, siblings, even the dog can tread without fear. My little four year old brother hates it when I use the PS3, and even when hes not squealing and yelling about it, he is climbing on the couch and annoying me at the VERY F*CKING LEAST!
At that point, my Mum usually just tells me to get off the PS3 - not because I'm doing anything wrong. Simply put, its to shut the selfish thing up. Furthermore, shes one of those overprotective mothers who tries to shelter their children from violence and doesn't like my bro watching me play GTA. That part is understandable, and as much of a cynic as I am, I do believe he'll only be more of a spoiled prick if he truly knows what goes on in that game.
This is the part I don't like....
Relatively speaking, its not my brother that is the problem at all. It is actually my mother. She only lets me actually put my feet up and play GTA V when hes not around. and by not around, I mean either in bed or totally more than 200 yards away from the house. Usually, the best time for me to play is when hes at Pre-School or when hes gone to bed.
My little brother usually goes to bed at about 7:15pm, meaning I can play around there. Of course, I try to start a little early if hes in trouble, distracted enough or whatever reason. Since my Mum prefers to go to bed at 9:00pm, she doesn't like me staying out in the lounge room past then, or even 8:30 if shes a tired sadist. I get it, shes an early bird, but I'm having trouble convincing her that I'm not a child anymore, its my game and that I'm not able to play it enough because of him [my brother]
^ That same rule more or less applies to my stepdad, but its very...very relaxed (Use your imagination)
Even though I wear headphones during gameplay, my Mum won't let me play it around my brother, or after LIGHTS OUT for her. I understand she has her own agenda, but can I not say the same? She just doesn't understand that we gamers are nocturnal creatures, we need space and we need time.
I've been trying to convince her to let me move the PS3 into my room and hook it up to my PC (Again, its a communal PS3), but unfortunately she once put bluntly
"Its not your choice"
Honestly, how is it not my choice? She claims it affects everybody, but in truth it doesn't really affect her at all in a negative way if I'm trying to distance herself from the things she doesn't like. I told her I would only keep it in my room at night (Its fair on everybody), but I'm still having trouble convincing her to let up. I do casually bring the topic up sometimes, but she always tries to break conversation. My little brother is getting off Pre-School soon so my two days a week are virtually extinct. She says we'll worry about it when that happens, but that's just her polite way of saying "NO! F*CK OFF AND STICK TO GTA IV ON YOUR PC"
YES! My mother is a control freak, she aims to control every part of existence, even elements beyond her jurisdiction. It must be genetic as I prefer to do my gaming in peace and I prefer to maintain that. If there is something going on, she wants to know about it, which is probably why I don't have a stable girlfriend in fear of telling my mother every little feeling held up inside my heart.
Before you answer my question, A little about me - for those who analyze mental health in these situations
- I'm 18 years old, living with family of course
- I'm a Student intending to go to University and/or TAFE next year
- I have been doing volunteer work experience two days a week due to unable to find job openings
- I'm not the most mature of my spiecies, but when you compare me to the drinkers and ravers and criminals, my parents take me for granted
- I have had history with depression, anxiety and more recently, anger problems
- Being said, I have been having fits of rage, but I'm trying to hold it in and get better
- That may be doing more harm than good, as I feel worse every day
- I have been attending therapy, but it is on hiatus being unable to make an appointment
- As cliche as it seems, I think the lack of consistent time for GTA V has been among the factors in my anger
- Although we had our fights, I always try to show my Mum and my brother that I love them very much and would be l0st without them
- A lot of my friends play GTA ten hours a day. I'm not like that, but there's always jealously.
- and like every young adult, I would jump at the opportunity to move out...
- ...with the financial security of course
- and finally, I've thought about selling GTA V at one point, because this issue is really getting on my nerves.
- Even though its too late to refund, I can still sell it for a fair coin and put it TOWARDS THE GTA V PC VERSION WHEN IT F*CKING COMES OUT!
So my final question for those tl;dr
How can I convince my Mum to let me move the OPEN HOUSE PS3 into my room, which has very little if anything to do with her?
I know, I know, I may seem like a massive b*tch with the way I'm putting this, but its a rough transitional phase of my life, and I dare say its even slower and rougher for my dear mother who can't see that I'M A BIG BOY NOW! (read that orange part in a Trevor voice)
Because I know, we've all been there before to some extent.