GTA San Andreas Mobile Modding

1,418 replies to this topic
_CP_
  • _CP_

Boss

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:04 AM Edited by _CP_, 16 February 2015 - 09:00 PM.

menu_main4.png

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Mobile was released 11th December 2013, and I want to thanks both Rockstar and War Drum Studios for port of one of the best game in GTA saga. GTA: San Andreas Mobile still use known RenderWare engine, and we hope that our modding tools can be used for modding.

Modding

Any modifications should go in "/internal SD/Android/data/com.rockstargames.gtasa/files" and under no circumstances you should delete or modify OBB files from Android/obb.

Audio

ALL Radio is now 22.05Khz MONO, some tracks even have conversion stutter, zipped inside .osw files, which are easily opened in WinRAR. There's a idx file besides every audio archive, which lists all the files, and possibly some stuff about every file. They've just exported the PC audio with SAAT and then converted from that.

Removed songs:

PLAYBACK FM
"Critical Beatdown"

K-DST
"Running Down A Dream"
"Woman To Woman"

Bounce FM
"You Dropped A Bomb On Me"
"Yum Yum"
"Running Away"

Radio Los Santos
"I Don't Give A f*ck"
"Express Yourself"

Radio X
"Killing in the Name of"
"Hellraiser"

K-Jah West
"Ring My Bell"
"Don't Let It Go To Your Head"

Master Sounds 98.3
"Express Yourself"
"Rock Creek Park"
"Grunt"
"Soul Power '74"
"The Payback"

Fix for crappy audio quality with restored songs - by nick7

Download SA PC Radio conversion mod - torrent
Download SA PC Radio conversion mod - parts

Models and textures

DFF models are a bit different than PC version, and cannot be opened by 3D Max or Zmodeler. PC DFF's can be used on mobile version, so car mods will work without problems.
Texture format (.pvr, .tmb, .toc) are very similar like in Vice City with some differences. TXDF*cker update allow to open/edit textures.

Fix for pixelated textures on Mali devices
        Extract two .obb to Android/data/com.rockstargames.gtasa/files/. Go to texdb folder, remove all files in subdirectories with etc name and change name dxt to etc

Download latest TXDf*cker: Night x32 | Night x64
  • KcL, Deadly Target, LevelDockSix and 2 others like this

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:31 AM Edited by nkjellman, 12 December 2013 - 08:08 AM.

I took a peek at the files for the iOS version. All the files are in one directory. The texture formats look like they were changed to the .toc, .tmb, .txt, and .dat that VC had.

I also found files with the extension .osw, and .idx. I also found .ttf, and .otf.

There are .png, but also .met files that look like they relate to the fonts.

I found some files that were .ped.

There was mission.grp. (checkpoints maybe).

Edit: Odd. I went in CJ's house and I heard the ocean water sound effect. I wonder if the interiors are not in the sky anymore. I don't see why they would move them.
  • AdvancedShoe and lolya like this

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

Most of the files seem to be same from original PC version of San Andreas.

Files labeled m_empty.pedm_norm.ped etc. can also be found in /data/decision-folder, though with different data in them. Same goes for mission.grp.

Main.scm is also changed, probably due to new checkpoint-system, and is thus not openable with current version of Sanny Builder. (New opcodes not recognized?)

What I find wierd at the moment, why is there plant1.txd, if the other textures are packed?

Also, vehicle models are smaller in size, for comparision, model for ZR-350 is 188,416 bytes on PC, where as it's 153,600 bytes on mobile. 

_CP_
  • _CP_

Boss

• Feroci
  • Poland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Can you send some files and screens from basic folder?

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Here are links to pictures of the main folder. Other folders seem to contain language-specific files for mobile devices.

Pic #1
Pic #2
Pic #3
Pic #4

nick7
  • nick7

グランドセフトオ

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

textures seems to be like in VC Mobile, but with some differences. i can open some of them, but i'm not fully figured out to new cache structure.

Wesser
  • Wesser

The complexity simplifier, the efficiency optimizer.

• Feroci
  • Unknown
  • Contribution Award [Mods]

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:22 PM Edited by Wesser, 19 August 2014 - 10:31 AM.

This time R* hasn't left any script-related information in the iOS version, but there is the full list of commands in the executable. It wil be up soon. :^:

//Edit: Here it is. Notice:
  • 61 new commands have been added.
  • {, } and REPLAY have been cut according to the previous game versions. This lack shifts all the opcodes by few positions and they look like being in a confused order. This is the proper list of commands for the PC, PS2 and XBOX versions;
  • The presence of SWITCH-CASE/DEFAULT-ENDSWITCH control flow with the BREAK statement. This construct is built with SWITCH_START and SWITCH_CONTINUED;
  • The existence of CONST_INT, CONST_FLOAT and CONSTANT_INT. Possibly built-in compiler commands;
  • The 16-byte string type is called TEXT_LABEL16.
  • View, watchpoint and breakpoint commands:
    • View:
      • VIEW_INTEGER_VARIABLE;
      • VIEW_FLOAT_VARIABLE;
      • CLEAR_THIS_VIEW_INTEGER_VARIABLE;
      • CLEAR_THIS_VIEW_FLOAT_VARIABLE;
      • CLEAR_ALL_VIEW_VARIABLES.
    • Watchpoint:
      • WATCH_INTEGER_VARIABLE;
      • WATCH_FLOAT_VARIABLE;
      • CLEAR_THIS_INTEGER_WATCHPOINT;
      • CLEAR_THIS_FLOAT_WATCHPOINT;
      • CLEAR_ALL_WATCHPOINTS.
    • Breakpoint:
      • BREAKPOINT;
      • CLEAR_ALL_BREAKPOINTS.
Shame I'm unable to login on GTAModding to update the SCM Language article (I have an updated revision locally yet).

//Edit2: New debugging commands have been added as opposed to the old versions, those which SB would handle internally (like 05B6). I replaced all of these manually with a Hex Editor and now the script is decompilable. Download it from here (inlcuding Sanny Builder's new opcodes).
  • LINK/2012, nick7, mirh and 2 others like this

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

~yay!

• Members
  • Poland
  • Helpfulness Award [Chain Game]

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:14 PM Edited by MrMateczko, 12 December 2013 - 05:01 PM.

Here are some of my observations:

*Most audio are 22050Hz low-bitrate VBR stereo, or mono compressed mp3 files, zipped inside osw files, which are easily opened in WinRAR. There's a idx file besides every audio archive, which lists all the files, and possibly some stuff about every file.

More shocking info in Ash_735's post below.

*There's an interesting file called: colorcycle.dat. Maybe its an addendum to the timecyc.dat, giving more variety of the colors in the game?

*The timecyc.dat file is the same as in the PC version.

Quick comparison of colors, Mobile vs PC:

Rl0AUNjl.png0tBUo0Wl.png

• @WAFFAHOUSE_ likes this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:29 PM Edited by Ash_735, 12 December 2013 - 04:38 PM.

Not ALL Audio is like that. Once again, I'm amazed at how War Drum have handled the audio, pretty much the MAJORITY of the SFX banks and rachives have been exported via SAAT (That's right, a community tool for modding the game), quickly converted to VBR MP3, this time most of the sound bank stuff being defaulted to 32KHz, which, just doesn't make sense, clearly this was an automated process, and then packed just as it is exported by SAAT into the new container .osw.

The IDX is similar to the ini generated by SAAT which is used to just detail each file and order.

Audio for the Radio and Cutscenes have been transcoded from the PC Version, which means, it's gone from .OGG to .MP3, again, a choice which is, what the f*ck am I wasting time for trying to get people who do mods to make sure they convert the audio properly, when one of Rockstar's own contracted studios don't make the effort either! I know mobile speakers are not good, but just getting this lazy on the audio is insane, some of this is real amateur stuff. And AGAIN, I don't know why War Drum didn't request the masters from Rockstar who CLEARLY still have them (Lazlow mentioned it last year), GTA3 10th Anniversary just converted the PC Audio, GTA VC 10th Anniversary just used PC again with Radio Audio coming from the PS2 version's ADPCM's and here, for SA Mobile, they've just exported the PC audio with SAAT and then converted from that.

My mind is just, I'm confused, seriously, Rockstar put out higher quality versions of K-Chat and VCPR last year on the News Wire on a whim, so apparently the web team have access to the audio masters but a damn contracted studio working on the games does not????

edit: ALL Radio is now 22.05Khz MONO, some tracks even have conversion stutter, ...they're selling this.

• nick7 and AsapChow like this

MrMateczko
  • MrMateczko

~yay!

• Members
  • Poland
  • Helpfulness Award [Chain Game]

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

So...we should harass War Drum Studios for using a community tool without giving any profit to its creator?

They just probably wanted to make the game as small in size as possible. Lets think about this...it's just over 300MB more than VC mobile, yet the PC version is over 2.5GB more in size than VC PC.

I guess WD wanted for the mainstream people (who don't care about stuff we talk) to download this game as fast as possible, and play. (until the  flying missions that is :) )

• lpgunit and Mega like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

So...we should harass War Drum Studios for using a community tool without giving any profit to its creator?

They just probably wanted to make the game as small in size as possible. Lets think about this...it's just over 300MB more than VC mobile, yet the PC version is over 2.5GB more in size than VC PC.

I guess WD wanted for the mainstream people (who don't care about stuff we talk) to download this game as fast as possible, and play. (until the  flying missions that is :) )

It's just a questionable method, this was clearly done in a rush, no effort was put into maintaining ANY quality at all. For example, they COULD have converted from the PS2 versions instead, as that had the audio at 24Khz already, they could have worked it off a little better, yes it would have taken more time to do, but damn, have some quality control here. Audio wise this is the WORST version of GTA in years. The fact that there's a good handful of radio tracks that have conversion stutter in them is just stupid, that shouldn't hve gone past, it's clear they just dumped the audio from the PC version, ran it through an MP3 encoder, and then checked like a couple and just said it's all OK and packed it.

I mean, I can rant to mod makers about doing this and tell them better ways to handle the audio, and yet here, a studio being paid to port the game have just done such an incredible job in messing up the audio quality I'm literally amazed. War Drum are amazing at what they do in other areas, but damn, don't rely on these guys for Audio, over the course of the three games, the audio has just got worse and worse.

nick7
  • nick7

グランドセフトオ

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:10 PM Edited by nick7, 12 December 2013 - 05:28 PM.

just opened Radio X file (MR.osw). they totally f*cked up the audio.

the good one it's possible to convert audio from PC in higher quality with existing utilites.

edit:

has anyone know what swizzling algorithm can be used in iOS devices? it seems to be uncompressed textures are swizzled or something like this.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

For those that are interested, here's a Radio X ident from the iOS version: 

And here's one I've done: 

nick7
  • nick7

グランドセフトオ

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:30 PM Edited by nick7, 12 December 2013 - 05:35 PM.

Ash, try with track_103 (welcome to the jungle).

I can't find RATM, lol. Are they removed it from the game?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:34 PM Edited by Ash_735, 12 December 2013 - 05:41 PM.

Another quick example from SFUR, notice it most with areas using Stereo effects: 

And mine: 

@nick: OK, I'll check it out

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to the Jungle, iOS/Android version:

Welcome to the Jungle, my convert: 

• nick7 likes this

Cedimedi
  • Cedimedi

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, thats a really bad downgrade. But i think they had to do it, 90% of players don't want half of their phone memory full by a game.

Converting stereo into mono would half the memory, no? (Also from ogg to mp3 which is even more saving)

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:50 PM Edited by Ash_735, 12 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

SONGS REMOVED:

PLAYBACK FM

"Critical Beatdown"

K-DST

"Running Down A Dream"

"Woman To Woman"

Bounce FM

"You Dropped A Bomb On Me"

"Yum Yum"

"Running Away"

Radio Los Santos

"I Don't Give A f*ck"

"Express Yourself"

Radio X

"Killing in the Name of"

"Hellraiser"

K-Jah West

"Ring My Bell"

"Don't Let It Go To Your Head"

MasterSounds 98.3

"Express Yourself"

"Rock Creek Park"

"Grunt"

"Soul Power '74"

"The Payback"

edit: The BLANKS are left in place, so if we DO get edit abilities, we can easily restore them.

• nick7 likes this

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to sell Shark Cards.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:37 PM Edited by gamerzworld, 12 December 2013 - 06:38 PM.

SONGS REMOVED:

*cut*

Holy sh*t, most of the good songs from SA got cut.

As for the audio quality, Rockstar probably had them under an impossible deadline -- it reeks of being rushed. This is probably the foremost known and loved GTA, yet its mobile release is more low key than VC and III?

• Mega and KoolKid98189 like this

nick7
  • nick7

グランドセフトオ

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

some texture info: format is similar to VC Mobile, but there are 2 DWORDs in the header:

first seems to be texture size. second is unknown, seems to be related to texture fragmenting.

when second equals zero and first exactly equals texture size texture can be easily read just like in VC:

thumb.png

if second is not zero, texture is fragmented.

thumb.png

i think more information will be soon

• Ash_735, Frank.s, ThirteenAG and 1 other like this

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

I think first mod that need to be done is a hud replacement, those black borders, no transparency... ugh. Keep it up, nick7!

Danikov
  • Danikov

The Fake Russian

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Its a real shame that these songs were removed...especially Running Down a Dream,driving in the desert or the countryside and listening to that song,really loving it...

..:Thiaz:..
  • ..:Thiaz:..

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:46 PM

it would be awesome if there would be a san andreas ios mod for pc

GtaFanatik
  • GtaFanatik

Bank Robber

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:48 PM

Its a real shame that these songs were removed...especially Running Down a Dream,driving in the desert or the countryside and listening to that song,really loving it...

Also "Killing in the name of" and "Express Yourself" were two classics in the game. Cant belive they're deleted. Why Rockstar do this? For Copyright or for Storage problems?. Hope we can add these songs again without problem since in Vice City if you put the original Radio files it plays only the first 5 minutes and then starts everything again..

• lpgunit, Danikov, Mega and 2 others like this

gamerzworld
  • gamerzworld

Why did I move here? I guess it was to sell Shark Cards.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:03 PM Edited by gamerzworld, 12 December 2013 - 09:04 PM.

Also "Killing in the name of" and "Express Yourself" were two classics in the game. Cant belive they're deleted. Why Rockstar do this? For Copyright or for Storage problems?. Hope we can add these songs again without problem since in Vice City if you put the original Radio files it plays only the first 5 minutes and then starts everything again..

Expired rights/agreement only covered certain platforms. Either Rockstar was too lazy to re-negotiate or the music studios wanted too much. Same reasons why Vice City was missing a bunch of songs in the mobile version and why it was yanked off digital stores last year.

• lpgunit and Danikov like this

nkjellman
  • nkjellman

OG

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Somebody with an iPhone 5/5s upload their gta-sa.set file. I have no vehicle reflections, and only CJ has a shadow.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Well, I was thinking of buying a high-end phone to play GTA SA at night when I still awake or when I feel like it.

But seeing all those downsides, I changed my mind and will not get any phone to play it.

However, I'm really interested how the textures look and I really like the timecyc of the mobile version.

I hope we can get that timecyc work on PC version.

_CP_
  • _CP_

Boss

• Feroci
  • Poland

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

You know what? Timecycle file is the same as PC version.

El Dorado
  • El Dorado

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Brazil

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

Wich file contains the radar icons? Like Pay N' Spray, Cluckin' Bell

I will try to covert this things to PC

GuilhermeBRRO
  • GuilhermeBRRO

Player Hater

• Members