What's with the random subtitles?

10 replies to this topic
Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:11 AM

Not sure if this has ever been brought up, but anyway the other day I was doing "Friend Request" for Lester where Michael has to buy clothes from Suburban and it's not the first time I've noticed, but (if I can remember) just before he walked out some text came onto the screen saying "Dignity aside I think this might just work" or something to that extent.

I've also noticed it a few other times throughout the game too, but what are the purpose of these? Are they meant to be the protagonists' thoughts or something?

make total destroy
  • make total destroy

Death to the Bourgeoisie - Long live Anarchy

• Hustle Bones
  • None

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

While I'm not sure, I think it's just dialogue that you're not close enough to hear, but it still shows up on the screen for whatever reason.

rojovo74
  • rojovo74

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

I think that might be it...I believe it happens during the "Bury The Hatchet" mission as well. During the drive to the cemetery, Michael is thinking about the deal he made with the FIB.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:22 AM Edited by Staten, 10 December 2013 - 02:23 AM.

Not sure if this has ever been brought up, but anyway the other day I was doing "Friend Request" for Lester where Michael has to buy clothes from Suburban and it's not the first time I've noticed, but (if I can remember) just before he walked out some text came onto the screen saying "Dignity aside I think this might just work" or something to that extent.

I've also noticed it a few other times throughout the game too, but what are the purpose of these? Are they meant to be the protagonists' thoughts or something?

Yeah, I've noticed this a few times.  It's not the protagonists thoughts, though; for instance an extra line appears in the subtitles for Cris Fromage's voicemail message that he doesn't say.  Maybe some lines were cut from the spoken script, but not from the subtitles file, or it might be a glitch of some sort.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

NSA Agent

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

The answer to all your questions might be in the briefing section, although I actually Heard Michael say that.

dave4242
  • dave4242

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

Your example is a piece of dialogue that Micheal says to the chick behind the counter. You were probly to far away but for some reason the subtitles still came up.

It also happens when random event strangers say something. They have subtitles becuase they are of importance, at least more so than a random NPC.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Camp Crystal Lake

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

Ah that makes more sense. It just seemed weird to me.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've noticed a lack of subtitles in situations, but never anything extra added in, like an extra word or w/e.

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Random text was a known issue (to me) since GTA IV. Sometimes subtitles turn on for random (not cutscene) text. This just goes to show that every single line in the game (except from ped dialog) was written subtitles, but not everything spoken is followed by subtitles.

When do subtitles toggle on:

Mission cutscenes.

In vehicle dialogue.

Mission dialogue

Phone calls.

(bear with me i know its a stupid way to explain it, but:) 

I've noticed it happens when the subtitles are displaying character dialogue during an "end mission cutscene or phone call" and once it's over, some text will "sneak into" the subtitles. It moslty happens with shop keepers like the weapon's salesman in GTA IV, or Bob Mulet in V. Whatever "goodbye" line they read is sometimes followed by subtitles.

I guess it just... happens.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Those subtitutes are creepy sometimes. One day I was driving in Senora Desert and there was NO ONE around except me and driver in BF Injection behind me, I was bored so I killed the driver and after about 2 seconds subtitues come up with something like this (I am not playing with English subs): "What the f*ck are you doing?"

BLOOD-MOND
  • BLOOD-MOND

aka: Blood-Is-in-Diamond or BiiD

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:33 PM

I smoke a bong with Franklin and he started reflecting about his life at first i thought he was talking but it was just his inner thoughts,i also read this on GTA wikh,that the Trios usually reflectr.Amazing details huh? :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users