23 replies to this topic
UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

http://www.theguardi...life?CMP=twt_gu

To the National Security Agency analyst writing a briefing to his superiors, the situation was clear: their current surveillance efforts were lacking something. The agency's impressive arsenal of cable taps and sophisticated hacking attacks was not enough. What it really needed was a horde of undercover Orcs.

That vision of spycraft sparked a concerted drive by the NSA and its UK sister agency GCHQ to infiltrate the massive communities playing online games, according to secret documents disclosed by whistleblower Edward Snowden.

The files were obtained by the Guardian and are being published on Monday in partnership with the New York Times and ProPublica.

The agencies, the documents show, have built mass-collection capabilities against the Xbox Live console network, which boasts more than 48 million players. Real-life agents have been deployed into virtual realms, from those Orc hordes in World of Warcraft to the human avatars of Second Life. There were attempts, too, to recruit potential informants from the games' tech-friendly users.

Online gaming is big business, attracting tens of millions of users world wide who inhabit their digital worlds as make-believe characters, living and competing with the avatars of other players. What the intelligence agencies feared, however, was that among these clans of innocent elves and goblins, terrorists were lurking.

Why do you want spy on Live and WOW? We are not f*cking terrorists. >:(

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

No comment. 

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:20 PM Edited by oysterbarron, 09 December 2013 - 01:21 PM.

I say welcome to them. Not often given the chance to own federal agents!

Wonder if the informants get paid well might sign up!

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

So,we actually have a chance to fight against real agents in GTA Online? That's kinda cool  :santa:

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Looks like the diversion worked!

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

So,we actually have a chance to fight against real agents in GTA Online? That's kinda cool  :santa:

No :lol: they'll give you bad sport.

• AndrewDeSanta likes this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:47 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 09 December 2013 - 06:49 PM.

If the media worded this different, we might actually get the NSA to quit.

"The NSA is spying on our children"

Then p'ed off mom's would step in.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:09 PM

This one I'm completely comfortable with, video-games are a relatively safe place to discreetly talk to people. There's no real record of your private chats and I imagine simply mining for that information would be quite a chore without in-men.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Yardie Achievement Award

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

The media is more likely to say that the NSA is protecting our children.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:17 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 09 December 2013 - 09:17 PM.

I do have to agree, they would say that.

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

I say we all go online and talk terrorism, just for sh*ts'n'giggles.

• Street Mix and SilverRST like this

YukiEiri
  • YukiEiri

l33t nekkid skillz...

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:57 AM

NSA + OneBox = We will not watch you, we have better things to do...

Yes..

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:41 AM Edited by Flynny, 10 December 2013 - 11:44 AM.

I do have to agree, they would say that.

Depends on the media source. if they lean towards being more pro-government or anti-government. 

But if they had said "the NSA is spying on children" then the journalist(s) who say that might mysteriously end up having a surprise connection to terrorism that even they didn't know about (maybe), or being a paedophile, again, probably to their surprise, depends how creative they feel like being on that day. they might even just dig into the person's history and find something truthful about them like they spend 3 days in a psychiatric institute and over-blow it. You know, something to discredit them.

Edit: if I end up disappearing in the next 24 hours i would just like you all to know I regard you as people I met 

• UtricularEwe001 likes this

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

"We're everywhere, Mr. Anderson."

On-topic: I heard of this earlier today too... luckily I don't play WoW. Nor do I have Xbox Live, lol.

If they're so keen on catching terrorists and such, why don't they infiltrate GTA: Online? :p

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Imagine the people who have said the C4 jeep in Battlefield as "Jihad Jeep" :lol:

I am one of those people!
  • mikeinthahouse likes this

mikeinthahouse
  • mikeinthahouse

Rockford Hills Resident

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Imagine the people who have said the C4 jeep in Battlefield as "Jihad Jeep" :lol:

I am one of those people!

Don't forget Jihad bikes! Gotta take those pest of tanks out somehow 

• UtricularEwe001 likes this

Jeone
  • Jeone

question authority

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

I bet you that they got the idea when they found one of there workers playing World of war craft

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

More worryin to me is the persistent rumour that NSA and Microsoft have worked together on xbox one so that NSA can now spy x1 owners via the kinect bar (visual and audio feed!)

Hardly surprising development, as NSA already spies peoples laptops via Windows backdoors intentionally created for this purpose...

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

But what's the point of spying through Kinect? I don't think anyone would be planning a terrorist attack in the middle of a game.

Neo Arcadia
  • Neo Arcadia

Peon

• Members

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

But what's the point of spying through Kinect? I don't think anyone would be planning a terrorist attack in the middle of a game.

The surveillance data from Kinect is likely used to help develop the Sentient World Simulation, a system designed to keep track of and predict everything happening in society.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:59 PM

Why is NSA spying on fat kids at WoW? And hearing those kids screaming n*gger, fa**ots all day??

Those NSA bastards sure have nothing better things to do that spying at any child.

They might jerk off all day, those stupid sick wankers.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

If you look at history, you notice that only evil nations have felt the need to spy on their own people.

For good example: Soviet Union and their KGB.

-Now, many do not realize, but KGB was not created to spy on america. KGB was actually created to spy on the russians, so as to weed out dissidents and troublemakers from the soviet society.

Which is exactly what NSA is doing in USA! Spying on americans and weeding out people who do not love the american way enough.

So, since only evil nations spy on their own people in such large scale, it means that USA of today is an evil nation!!!

Well, not the whole nation is evil. Only the government and the ruling elite are evil, just as they were evil in CCCP.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Faceless, Nameless, Endless War

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

That's not entirely true because all nations spy on their population to a greater or lesser extent. That's why nations have domestic intelligence agencies.

There's a bit of a false analogy going on there as well. Despite questions about the legality and morality of what's been going on plus serious questions in terms of over-reach there's no evidence that this large-scale domestic surveillance is being actively exploitedi in any meaningful way, let alone being used to target political dissidents and people with differing opinions to the norm. You can't really start drawing comparisons with the KGB and Stasi until people start vanishing in the middle of the night.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:16 AM

Because this all has absolute jack squat to do with terrorism and all to do with keeping society under control. 

We're under mass surveillance, everything from our texts and phonecalls to emails and even our locations all can be tracked and monitored with no search warrant nor probable cause.. They just use terms related to terrorism as a scare tactic to fear people into giving into their own political goals, which ironically enough would by definition make themselves the terrorists.. lol

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:47 AM

Jokes aside, I think NSA is doing the right thing spying on those hardcore MMORPG gamers.

And why?

Because there are a lot of MMORPG players who are real sociopaths, and who really are a potential danger to american society.

Here i mean those MMORPG players who:

1.have no sense of humour.

2.Take the game and the guild business dead seriously.

3.Are always trying to smoke out the weak members from the guild, even though these 'weak' members usually are the best liked members in the guild.

You know the type. Theyre narcissistic and nasty individuals, and they are even worse in real life. Having met few, I know!

So, good thing NSA is seeking out such nutters and putting tabs on them, so that they cannot go for a rampage at the local mall with their collection of almost authentic swords.

Personally NSA could go one step further and lock such nutters up in a funny farm. And take their laptops away too, because these sociopaths ruin the MMORPGs for the rest of us.

So, Good work NSA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users