The music you grew up listening to?

51 replies to this topic
Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:48 PM

Just like the topic says I want to know what music you grew up listening to?

For me it was bands like
The Sanples (if your from Colorado and/or went to cu boulder you know who they are)
BNL
five for fighting
Crowded house

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

A Dose of Metal you need!!!

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:14 AM

Iron Maiden, The Beatles, KISS, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Michael Jackson, Scorpions.

After of my 13 or 14 years old I listen more Metal, but only Iron Maiden and The Beatles still listen a lot, the rest rarely.

Myron
  • Myron

I shot Reagan

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

Elvis.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

I disliked music as a child. I don't know why I just never really liked any of it.

But then this song kept popping up

• Spider-Vice, ShadowDog94, PaletoChickenCapo and 1 other like this

Waldie
  • Waldie

Narcissistic Introvert

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:07 PM Edited by Waldie, 10 December 2013 - 07:11 PM.

To name a few:

Led Zeppelin

Eric Clapton / Cream

Fleetwood Mac

AC/DC

Santana

ZZ Top

Queen

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Buddy Holly

Elvis Presley

Crowded House

Red Hot Chili peppers

Apart from RHCP - which is my favourite band, all the above is my parents' music. Car music basically. I appreciate the music a lot more now but unfortunately I still associate a lot of it with long, boring drives.

Apart from that, I grew up in the 90's and early 00's, so take from that what you will. I didn't like it much then, but I get very nostalgic for a lot of the cheesy pop music of that time.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

To name a few:

Led Zeppelin
Eric Clapton / Cream
Fleetwood Mac
AC/DC
Santana
ZZ Top
Queen
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Buddy Holly
Elvis Presley
Crowded House
Red Hot Chili peppers

Apart from RHCP - which is my favourite band, all the above is my parents' music. Car music basically. I appreciate the music a lot more now but unfortunately I still associate a lot of it with long, boring drives.

Apart from that, I grew up in the 90's and early 00's, so take from that what you will. I didn't like it much then, but I get very nostalgic for a lot of the cheesy pop music of that time.

Did you ever get to see crowded house live, when I was 14 or 15 I had a friend who worked at a theater by my house and it just so happend that crowded house was in town on a night that my buddy was working, Crowded house put on the best show I have ever sceen, Neil Finn and the rest of the band actually signed a guitar of mine...

Waldie
  • Waldie

Narcissistic Introvert

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:20 PM Edited by Waldie, 10 December 2013 - 08:22 PM.

Cool. Sadly, I've only seen them on TV, youtube etc.

My mum likes them, she used to play the Recurring Dream cassette all time back in the late nineties.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

Bob Dylan, Clapton, Hendrix, Deep Purple, The Doors, Springsteen, America, Santana, Pink Floyd and many other 1960's and 1970's artists along these lines.

• Slamman likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Music is big in my family and I grew up in the late 60's early 70's, so I like to think I grew up with some killer music as it was coming out.  My mother used to return from shopping with random albums for me to add to my personal collection.  She would come home with stuff from The Stones, The Doors, The Beatles...you get the idea.

I may be the last generation of people that sing along to the same songs as their parents....with their parents.  Even though no one in my family can sing(I'm the closest and that isn't saying much)  anytime any of my family members are together where there is music playing it becomes a sing along.  It's weird.

• Slamman and Mister Pink like this

Badass Big J
  • Badass Big J

Badass

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

gay johnson

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

Aqua - Barbie Girl and The offspring - Pretty Fly For a White Guy :)

OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN
  • OFWGKTADGAFLLBBLSBFBN

F*ck Odd Future

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I didn't really listen to it but Alchemist (not the rapper, the Australian metal band), early Metallica stuff and Tool are nostalgic because my mum used to listen to them a LOT and they would be mainly what would be playing in the car.
I miss our VH Commodore :')

And now I listen to all that music! :p

But yeah I'm pretty sure when I was really young I like The Offspring and the Living End, IIRC All Torn Down by TLE was the first song I ever knew the words to.

02fishera
  • 02fishera

PSN ID: TeamTango91

• The Yardies
  • England

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Most of the music that I listened to when growing up revolved around what my Dad used to listen to. Two songs that really stick out are:

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

I'm Offended By This Username

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

Well, with my late-teen mother pumping it up in the late nineties, I got used to all sorts of boy bands. 98 Degrees, Backstreet Boys, N*SYNC, blah blah blah.

Luckily she enjoyed Poison, Aerosmith, and Bon Jovi so it wasn't all bad.

Around 03' she really got into modern rock. Evanescence, Smash Mouth, and Kid Rock were the highlights.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:38 AM

I pretty much grew up listening to whatever music my parents were partying to, but if we're talking about the music I actually listened to myself:

Garth Brooks (blame my parents)

*NSync (yes, I went through that stage and it was terrible)

Eminem (not as ashamed of this, but I certainly can't listen to any of his newer "music")

50 Cent (yup, went through this stage, too)

Royce 5'9" (I'll never be ashamed of this)

Needless to say, I was a weird mahf*cka. Now I pretty much only listen to oldies, like stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Big Homie

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

Pre-teens (early 80s) : Kiss, W.A.S.P., Ozzy, Accept, Twisted Sister

Teens (mid-late 80s) : Venom, Bathory, Sodom, Mayhem, Possessed, Kreator, Celtic Frost, Destruction, Death, Autopsy, Carcass, Napalm Death, Exodus, Over Kill....this list could be endless

Late teens (late 80s-early 90s) : Burzum, Beherit, Emperor, Darkthrone, Ildjarn. Scandinavian BM scene.

Today? Pretty much same. Could add some ambient there.

• Slamman likes this

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

I disliked music as a child. I don't know why I just never really liked any of it.

Lol I know what you mean. I never saw the point of music when I was a kid. Too pre-occupied with video games I guess :D

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:56 AM

Mostly Eminem, his old stuff were pretty good, not like the new ones hes doing now. and Motorhead.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:29 PM

The Beastie Boys and Pavarotti, weird mix but they were my favorites as a kid.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mightymomo22
  • Mightymomo22

Prankster

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:34 AM

AC/DC Queen Aerosmith Guns&Roses.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:47 AM Edited by ExtremoMania, 16 April 2014 - 05:53 AM.

Well my mom actually is a pop fanatic so she listens to some boy band and at first I adored to them. These are the list: BSB, N Sync, Westlife, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna. However my mom also listens to some rock music particularly Queen, Black Sabbath (and Ozzy Osbourne), AC/DC, Nirvana, Metallica, Megadeth, etc which hopefully is the reason why I continue to listen to some metal music.

When I was like 5-6 years old, I listened to some nu metal scenes including Linkin Park, Sevendust, Slipknot, Coal Chamber, Evanescence, SOAD, RATM, and many more so nu metal was actually my first favourite genre and the kind of metal that is brutal that I first listen to. It was actually GTA Vice City that introduced me more to classic mainstream heavy metal music and later GTA San Andreas for classic West Coast hip-hop and more classic rock music.

When I was actually in my pre-teens, I still got that pop fanaticism since my childhood, so at that time I listened mainly on mainstream (don't wanna mention). That when I turned 16, when I go beyond deeper to more metal music, I realized that this is truly work of art and not as what I see on modern pop, so that's why I'm now a metalhead. But I still love pop music, however not those boy bands anymore of some sort. I still listen to some Michael Jackson, Rihanna, Lady GaGa but that's all. 

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:09 PM Edited by I<3GTAV, 16 April 2014 - 11:10 PM.

Gwen Stefani

Fergie

Black Eyed Peas

Green Day

Nickelback

Coldplay

Kanye West

Maroon 5

I heard generally these when I was a little kid.

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:10 AM Edited by Lagful, 17 April 2014 - 01:14 AM.

Infected Mushroom, Aphex Twin, As I Lay Dying, Bloodhound Gang, System of a Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and SPM to name a few. I never really got into Rap and Hip Hop until I got older.

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

KISS was the first band I was influenced into a deep fan appreciation with, having started a collection of all their recordings.

• trip likes this

Goldghost9Ps3
  • Goldghost9Ps3

~KING HOPSIN~

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

From birth to I'd say age 13 I was heavily on Michael Jackson man..

From there I got into Eminem, and now Hopsin.

Just naming the main artists.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:09 AM

KISS was the first band I was influenced into a deep fan appreciation with, having started a collection of all their recordings.

KISS was the first band my wife saw live.  Heyday.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Sax & Violins

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:27 AM

Beastie Boys were a defining band for me... It made me love many different genres and not just one. I'd seek out the groups and tracks that were used in their tracks... Judging by the nods, samples and shout outs the Beasite Boys used, you could tell they just love music from anyone to Dub creator Lee "Scratch" Perry to Jazz legend Jimmy Smith. Beck was similar in this way and the two shared the same producers on two of my fav albums Odelay by Beck and Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys - sample heavy albums that fuse many different styles of music from Country to Hip Hop and Funk

I started with Beck and Beastie Boys (two bands I got in to as a kid and not through my brother) when I was 12. Through my teens it was The Doors, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles etc and then in my 20's I progressed to Reggae, Funk, Electronic music of all sorts, classical and more

• Mr Scratch likes this

Slamman
  • Slamman

Smote

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

I spent some time thinking about this topic, songs I heard that weren't kid songs you listen to based on age and content, because of your age, of course, but music around the home, on the radio. My cousins expanded my listening palette from the 1970s I'd say, since I was the oldest in my family, and my parents didn't listen to music, my dad played piano and organ, but he didn't put on records too often at all, I was drawn to music more then anyone I can think of in my whole family! Like Anthrax record, I believe "Worship Music"

Kind of a creedo without even knowing

RoadkillGumbo
  • RoadkillGumbo

Da OG Way

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:48 PM Edited by RoadkillGumbo, 02 May 2014 - 08:49 PM.

Bands that I grew up with..... 

- Black Sabbath

- Led Zeppelin 

- Bad Company

- Kansas

- Fleetwood Mac

- Doobie Brothers

- ZZ Top

- Cream

- Lynard Skynard

- Rush

- Van Halen