Quantcast

» «
Photo

The GTA storyline has been beat to death, time for something new.

67 replies to this topic
McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:01 PM Edited by McGyver55, 08 December 2013 - 06:04 PM.

About the story...

Okay its just a video game...

Okay, but its 2013 already and video games make as much or more money than movies... Maybe its time to hire real writers? I've seen BAD fan art CGI movies that are better scripted.

Sorry if any of you liked it... it had its moments... and I'm never quite sure if Rockstar is being tongue-in-cheek funny and trying to be B-movie like, or trying to be serious... sometimes I think both and they forget which... but it leave a story so full of plot holes you can rinse lettuce in it. (that was a terrible analogy).

But whatever...

I'd really like to be surprised by the next story as opposed to puzzled...

What I'd love to see is a spin off game using the GTA V world, maybe one that lets you play as an undercover cop or non corrupt FIB agent (like Tanner from the Driver series)... maybe he is trying to take down some big politician or mega corp...(some of us 99%ers might like that)... Or maybe something not too different from GTA, but where you play a former bad guy trying to stay clean, while getting some payback on his enemies who have finally tracked him down...

I think that would not spell doom or bring too much criticism for the franchise... it could get more people to experience the whole "GTA universe"... AND it would add some lifespan to the HUGE friggin' world they made until the next city.

That will NEVER happen though because Rockstar does not listen to fans and or suggestions... they have their own "vision" for the franchise and that is that.

• PkUnzipper likes this

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

Any one with an idea of playing COP has not understood GTA Series at all.
  • Official General likes this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:08 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 08 December 2013 - 06:15 PM.

This whole gangster/mafia/bank robber/criminal storyline has been beat to death. R* should listen to the fans and 1: either create police DLC for GTA 5 or 2: make the next game about law enforcement. LCPD:FR set the standard. The PC mods available for GTA IV have extended the life of that game far beyond what anyone imagined. R* should learn from them.

What R* needs to consider for GTA 6 in addition to this, is to return the game to it's sandbox roots like in SA and the game play which made SA, GTA III ,and VC so completely memorable and addictive to date

If players had more freedom/variety and less restrictions on which protagonist(s) could do what they wanted, when they wanted (especially more SA style non mission type diversions), and especially how they went about achieving/doing missions/activities (just like in SA) then this would restore my faith in the franchise for the future.

But I don't see this happening based on the vision R* now appears to have for the franchise in the future with how they've designed GTAO.  :(

It wouldn't surprise me that by the time GTA 6 comes out, R* will have perfected all the business practices of the EA Borg. And if so, R* will end up producing an SP which has a zero character backstory and completely forgettable SP characters. And then they'll begin an infinite iteration of sub standard GTA series, just like the EA Borg have desecrated the Madden NFL or FIFA series just to whore a buck.....

So basically, the fan base experience with GTA 6 will become a shorter honeymoon period playing an even more mutilated SP version---followed by a P2P GTAO 6 some 14 days later :/

edit: if R* keeps cutting the SP storyline with multiple characters in the future, then the amount of time to finish SP (no cheats) could be drastically reduced.  So by the time a P2P GTAO 6 comes out, it's only going to take the more hard core fan boys some 12-24 hrs to "beat" the game 100% with no cheats 

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Yeah, its one side of the coin... but as a spinoff, it can divert from the series while remaining in its "universe".

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

Topic: "I'm tired of the usual GTA, pls make GTA:Cops"

NO.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:25 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 08 December 2013 - 06:27 PM.

That poster's point was that GTA used to be a sandbox action crime universe.  With GTA V, this is no longer the case.  All sandbox game mechanics (in both SP and GTAO) have been so heavily scripted and narrowly distilled that whenever I play GTAO (R*s apparent flagship of GTA V) it feels like I'm playing a 3D version of a 1D fps shooter game 99% of the time.

The only time you get to experience any sandbox features, or any collaborative, RPG game play styles is to do Solo or Invite Only sessions.  Which server sessions to date, have been increasingly unstable and buggy since the 1.06 update btw. 

If R* doesn't address this imbalance in game play styles in the future, they could end up losing a good chunk of their fan base. And that's going to be especially true for their PC fan boys should they fail to port the game to the PC.  I seriously doubt if many PC fan boys like myself (who tend to prefer immersion, sandbox, quality over quantity when it comes to gaming i.e. by improving the game through making mods) would care to put up with the PvP cluster f*ck fest that all regular FM sessions on the console have become in GTAO. :/

Osho
  • Osho

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:31 PM

Yeah, its one side of the coin... but as a spinoff, it can divert from the series while remaining in its "universe".
But, switching between them will require two protagonist's, one as a Cop and Other with a different role.
Let's assume you play as a Cop. Now, what next? The Formula ends here due to tight choices for the character to develop considering he is a Cop.
On the other hand, the Second Protag is happily Killing Peds, cops and taking a piss on the big open world. His fate is in players hands.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

I predict a very strong focus on Online in GTA Vi, with a focus on stunning graphics which will present a myriad of gameplay restrictions. a limit on overall activities (which will almost completely eschew crime) and... what?

keep-calm-and-say-goodbye-4.png

livejoker
  • livejoker

Halloween is Pedo Day!

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

I agree with OP. GTA with Cops sounds fun.

While we're at it, why not make Call of Duty a game where you're in India working the lines as customer service and Battlefield about a guy that fights stains in the kitchen.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

About the story...

Okay its just a video game...

Okay, but its 2013 already and video games make as much or more money than movies... Maybe its time to hire real writers? I've seen BAD fan art CGI movies that are better scripted.

Sorry if any of you liked it... it had its moments... and I'm never quite sure if Rockstar is being tongue-in-cheek funny and trying to be B-movie like, or trying to be serious... sometimes I think both and they forget which... but it leave a story so full of plot holes you can rinse lettuce in it. (that was a terrible analogy).

But whatever...

I'd really like to be surprised by the next story as opposed to puzzled...

What I'd love to see is a spin off game using the GTA V world, maybe one that lets you play as an undercover cop or non corrupt FIB agent (like Tanner from the Driver series)... maybe he is trying to take down some big politician or mega corp...(some of us 99%ers might like that)... Or maybe something not too different from GTA, but where you play a former bad guy trying to stay clean, while getting some payback on his enemies who have finally tracked him down...

I think that would not spell doom or bring too much criticism for the franchise... it could get more people to experience the whole "GTA universe"... AND it would add some lifespan to the HUGE friggin' world they made until the next city.

That will NEVER happen though because Rockstar does not listen to fans and or suggestions... they have their own "vision" for the franchise and that is that.

I like your idea of a Serpico meets Donny Brasco type of cop. That would definitely make for a very intriguing SP.  You start off the SP as a character who knows he's a cop in deep undercover.  Then as time goes by in the mission, find you have increasingly conflicting loyalties and difficult moral decisions to make. 

The storyline is a Mafia/Mafia II style f*cked up plot where the odds are NEVER in your favor as a protagonist.  And so the outcome of SP is 100% uncertain, based on the choices you make in the SP, which cannot be reneged once selected:

Example plot:

You finally rise to the top of a high profile criminal organization as an undercover cop (or made the organization one of the most successful in the crime world) and become the right hand man to it's leader. You've bullied, killed, raped, and maimed your way to the top.  From innocent civilians to corrupt politicians/law enforcement officials alike to prove your worth to your criminal organization.  You might have even married into your crime bosses family to secure your position.  You've been so deep under cover, that you've reached the point where you can no longer tell where your true loyalties lie. Are you a cop or a criminal? Or rather, which role would you rather continue playing (because you've come to truly believe in it) in the future?

The dilemma:

So when that time comes to prove your absolute loyalty (by killing the innocent 5 year old son of some corrupt politician, innocent civilian, rival gang banger etc.) what would you do?  Would you slit that child's throat like the ice cold killa your crime family/gang organization believes and respects you to be?  So you can make that final, ambitious step to the top as the real leader?

Or would you foggily remember that oath you took as a law enforcement officer (some 5-10 years ago) before you went under deep cover in the crime world?  So you turn snitch in the eyes of the crime underworld, by remembering the real reason you've reached this moral crossroads in life? Do you really want to finally bring down the entire crime organization from the inside out as an untouchable, undercover cop? Or does your moral conscience inconveniently kick in to remind you that of all the sins you've committed to date as an undercover cop, none of them have ever involved harming or murdering children?

You look at yourself in the mirror, and find yourself wondering who the f*ck you really are? Are you a Serpico? A Billy Costigan who would rat out his criminal brethren? And so have to spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder, because you believe taking out your crime family was the "right" thing to do?  Or by the end of the SP, have you become a Donnie Brasco by coming to believe you're a morally bankrupt criminal who will do anything he has to survive, hates the law, and will do anything to protect his adopted crime family? 

Now that you're at a critical moral crossroads in your life, what do you do?  I'd love to see more deeper, moral dilemmas like that in future GTA games. Just like in Mafia II

• McGyver55 likes this

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

But, switching between them will require two protagonist's, one as a Cop and Other with a different role.
Let's assume you play as a Cop. Now, what next? The Formula ends here due to tight choices for the character to develop considering he is a Cop.
On the other hand, the Second Protag is happily Killing Peds, cops and taking a piss on the big open world. His fate is in players hands.

I'm not sure what you mean... By spinoff I mean as a separate game...

of the two scenarios I mentioned, it would have to be one or the other as a storyline... no switching characters, that becomes overly complicated and nobody would like it... its one game- with the protagonist as either an undercover cop OR former criminal trying to stay clean while attempting to get eliminate his pursuers. Just one story/protagonist.

The cop storyline could work well... you could easily have a detective or FIB agent that transferred over from another city, thrust into some deep conspiracy in which he is marked for death and has go deeper undercover to save his own life and to bring down the a corrupt senator or CEO (or both... they usually work together, right?)... The main character could still have other good cops working behind the lines, helping him while trying not to get caught... you would have to have the mandatory old guy weeks from retirement that helps you halfway though the game then get murdered and has his reputation ruined, further making you want to take down the corrupt officials... It is implied that many of the cops in LS are corrupt, so having to occasionally go against them in a shootout would be acceptable...

I think given how so many people feel how easily justice is neglected, that the privileged are allowed to get away with whatever they want...  

I'm sure if properly scripted a spinoff of GTA set perhaps a few years in the future (to avoid any conflict with any "standard" GTA series stories) would have the possibility of doing well... especially if it turned a little dark at the end (like when the protagonist finally confronts the person responsible for his old friend's death and he takes revenge brutally (but in a way he can't get caught or prosecuted  for)... I'm pretty sure there are enough people out there in this world who could enjoy a game set in the GTA world, where one gets to deliver justice to the "over privileged and corrupt" a**holes in the world...  You would sort of play like batman... but without the fancy toys and desire to let the bad guys live.

Anyway... this is all a moot point because Rockstar would never do anything like what I mentioned, they are committed to one idea and type of storyline which they will not abandon, they "already have 45 years worth of ideas" so no way would they bother thinking outside of their comfort zone.

All I was saying is it is a shame to see the deep and detailed city go to waste, or just be explored from one angle... even the most corrupt and evil places in this world have some good people, trying to make a difference or at least trying not to become what they hate... so maybe a well written spinoff, from a "good guy" perspective could work and exist within the same universe... especially if it is along the lines of justice being delivered as "what you deserve" and less by the book... borderline Max Payne sorta stuff.

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

I like your idea of a Serpico meets Donny Brasco type of cop. That would definitely make for a very intriguing SP.  You start off the SP as a character who knows he's a cop in deep undercover.  Then as time goes by in the mission, find you have increasingly conflicting loyalties and difficult moral decisions to make. 

Thanks, I'm glad someone else would like to see that sort of thing... and great ideas too!

James K
  • James K

Motorhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

There is sleeping dogs, see??

OOM 313
  • OOM 313

Thug

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

All these idiots saying NO NO NO. They just want another rags-to-riches-mafia-been-done-20-times-already GTA game. Its old. Its boring. GTA 5s horrible story is the first step down a path of bullsh*t single player content.

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:10 AM Edited by zielarz119, 09 December 2013 - 12:10 AM.

GTA 5s horrible story is the first step down a path of bullsh*t single player content.

But... GTA V's story is opposite to what story we got in previous GTA's and it was bad imo.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:22 AM Edited by Official General, 09 December 2013 - 01:29 AM.

All these idiots saying NO NO NO. They just want another rags-to-riches-mafia-been-done-20-times-already GTA game. Its old. Its boring. GTA 5s horrible story is the first step down a path of bullsh*t single player content.

I don't care what other new ideas Rockstar come up with for any future new GTA title, just as long it does not involve playing as any kind of a cop or spending half the damn game working for cops. As long as the gameplay is centred around crime and the underworld, then I will welcome any new promising ideas for the story or theme.

Let's not forget one very important thing mister. GTA is about playing a criminal and not a f**king cop. That's why we play GTA in the f**king first place, the rare opportunity to the play the bad guy and not the good guy, since the good guy is generally who the protagonist is in a game.
  • dreadluxx likes this

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

O.G.A.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:27 AM

OP is a moron and doesn't really deserve a response, but i would like to see a new GTA game's plot that is more centered on stealing/ selling cars. 

• Official General likes this

Android
  • Android

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

They should go with a criminal/street racing type of game.

inb4 lol gtfo with that nfs sh*t

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

Blunt Smoking Philosopher

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Wasn't Max Payne a cop too? wtf... thats 2 titles.. R* does that has the protag as a cop or X cop.... and one title has 3 games. 

thejack0ff
  • thejack0ff

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:13 AM

Agree with SmoothGTA.

I like the occasional vigilante missions not anything that is based entirely on being a cop.

Betox190
  • Betox190

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

I agree with many people here, why do you need it to be GTA? It can be easily done in another game with other name, why do you need to scr*w up GTA's tradition for this game you want to come out?

ExitiumMachina
  • ExitiumMachina

What?

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

There's still a lot of crime to cover...A whole lot of crime to cover.

I'm waiting for Grand Theft Auto: Crime Simulator 2.0.

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Honestly, I think some kind of cop story could work so long as we also played other protagonists who were criminals. A story where you can think of it being a sort of "cops vs robbers" style scenario would be interesting, play the bad guys and the good guys fighting eachother and have their paths all cross very often. 

But I do think that playing a police officer in a GTA game would be very hard to pull off without severely limiting the player's freedom, which kind of defeats the point of it being a GTA game. No matter how corrupt you make them, you can't have them trailing a murderer on one mission, only to have the player go murder 600 people on a free roam rampage. 

LA Noire was created for this reason. 

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:33 AM

As I just said in another thread... I think a more stealth based/ninja game is due... Like underground Japanese crime syndicates... Give us a Japanese chick who is Yakuza to play as and work you way up the crime ranks with espionage, assassinations, sabotage, black mail and have assassinations up for the player... you can use poison, blades, guns, explosives or anything you can think of to assassinate your target. Go in alone or with others. 

Allow more stealth/ninja based warfare.... hiding is more of a thing, especially with the cops...  (I know there are other stealth games so it will be a sort of take on it, with the open world and crime game that GTA already is...) 

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

This whole gangster/mafia/bank robber/criminal storyline has been beat to death. R* should listen to the fans and 1: either create police DLC for GTA 5 or 2: make the next game about law enforcement. LCPD:FR set the standard. The PC mods available for GTA IV have extended the life of that game far beyond what anyone imagined. R* should learn from them.

What R* needs to consider for GTA 6 in addition to this, is to return the game to it's sandbox roots like in SA and the game play which made SA, GTA III ,and VC so completely memorable and addictive to date

If players had more freedom/variety and less restrictions on which protagonist(s) could do what they wanted, when they wanted (especially more SA style non mission type diversions), and especially how they went about achieving/doing missions/activities (just like in SA) then this would restore my faith in the franchise for the future.

I enjoyed San Andreas and Other III era games more than V, but honestly, what is in San Andreas that isn't in V?  The protagonists in V can visit the whole map from the beginning, that is more freedom and variety already, SA didn't have that. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:41 AM

As I just said in another thread... I think a more stealth based/ninja game is due... Like underground Japanese crime syndicates... Give us a Japanese chick who is Yakuza to play as and work you way up the crime ranks with espionage, assassinations, sabotage, black mail and have assassinations up for the player... you can use poison, blades, guns, explosives or anything you can think of to assassinate your target. Go in alone or with others. 

Allow more stealth/ninja based warfare.... hiding is more of a thing, especially with the cops...  (I know there are other stealth games so it will be a sort of take on it, with the open world and crime game that GTA already is...)

Who do you mean by 'us' ? I'm certainly not with you on that. What a rubbish idea.

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:50 AM

LOL Official General cool beans bro, I just feel like they could have actually done something with the damn stealth feature.... as it stands now they should replace it with a crouch option... 

BUT if they went somewhere with it.. I think it would be cool sh*t.... To actually be able to sneak up on another player in GTA O and kill him with say a poison dart or a quick slice to the neck instead of just trying to blast each other with various fire arms.... Keep the option for the fire arms in but have a more defined stealth system. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

LOL Official General cool beans bro, I just feel like they could have actually done something with the damn stealth feature.... as it stands now they should replace it with a crouch option... 

BUT if they went somewhere with it.. I think it would be cool sh*t.... To actually be able to sneak up on another player in GTA O and kill him with say a poison dart or a quick slice to the neck instead of just trying to blast each other with various fire arms.... Keep the option for the fire arms in but have a more defined stealth system.

In another, different game, I'd welcome your idea. For GTA, just no. GTA is strictly a game built to revolve around modern organized crime, not stuff like ninjas.

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:08 AM Edited by G_Masta_Phunk, 09 December 2013 - 02:10 AM.

Im not talking complete ninja sh*t... like you ever play China town? You could kung fu your way out of just about any situation with that dude... I hardly ever used guns... that was like my favorite mobile GTA game... I need to buy that one again.... 

Anyways... Im not saying the game revolves around stealth.... just saying make it more of a workable element... and have the game revolve heavily around Yakuza... I never get ENOUGH Yakuza... like they were all over Liberty City... but it seems you are always fighting them 

(I havent played all the Liberty City stories so correct me if I am wrong) But it would be interesting to sort of get into that realm of organised crime. 

Like Yakuza started in Japan... mostly corrupt samurai who were involved in mafia like work... protection, extortion, ect... lots of them were responsible for smuggling european guns during the Edo period.... they were huge on running casinos and brothels... HOW is that not organised crime ?! so what If I want a more focused stealth based system... GTA needs to have the ability to SNEAK AND HIDE... i mean you are robbing sh*t, killing people, running and hiding from the cops... 

Anyways... We;ve had a mexican dude, 2 black gangsta dudes... plenty of mobster italian dudes, a biker dude, a russian, a silent white guy, an x bank robber, a methed out lunatic and a chinese dude.... a japanese chick would be an interesting mix to the whole thing. 

CarimboHanky
  • CarimboHanky

Rehabilited Glitcher

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:22 AM

wtf but the overall concept behind the story in V is really new for a GTA game...

yes we keep working for different organizations but unlike the other games we didnt have the rag to riches cliche story, atleast not all of it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users