Photo

GTA V wins GOTY

139 replies to this topic
Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Well, game of the decade is completely opinionated and subjective, just like GOTY.

Plus, it's kinda hard to tell without knowing the next 10 years.

I hope they get it right in GTA VI, with all the technology in the next years they should be able to make the perfect GTA.

Depends on your definition of perfect GTA. To me, the perfect GTA would include being able to fly from Los Santoas to Liberty City to Vice City, etc. Next-gen can't do that. PC's now probably can't do that.

Technology CAN do that. It could have done that ten years ago or even more. Just look at the map size of Elder Scrolls Dagerfall.
The reason why Rockstar doesn't make GTA's that include too many cities is simply because that would take A LOT of work and A LOT of resources. And there's also the problem of disc space that was limited by Xbox on current gen - but even with that resolved now, they still don't want to spend years just making that huge map. They may one day (assuming they stay on the same engine) update the previous cities with new textures and some updated models, and then include them in one game, which would make their job easier and thus make that dream of all GTA cities in one game come true. But not before they've made HD versions of all of them.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Well, game of the decade is completely opinionated and subjective, just like GOTY.

I hope they get it right in GTA VI, with all the technology in the next years they should be able to make the perfect GTA.

Depends on your definition of perfect GTA. To me, the perfect GTA would include being able to fly from Los Santoas to Liberty City to Vice City, etc. Next-gen can't do that. PC's now probably can't do that.

Technology CAN do that. It could have done that ten years ago or even more. Just look at the map size of Elder Scrolls Dagerfall.
The reason why Rockstar doesn't make GTA's that include too many cities is simply because that would take A LOT of work and A LOT of resources. And there's also the problem of disc space that was limited by Xbox on current gen - but even with that resolved now, they still don't want to spend years just making that huge map. They may one day (assuming they stay on the same engine) update the previous cities with new textures and some updated models, and then include them in one game, which would make their job easier and thus make that dream of all GTA cities in one game come true. But not before they've made HD versions of all of them.

I mean all of those cities always being alive all the time. No loading screens. So, if you're in Los Santos, Liberty City is still alive. Cars are still driving, etc.

FireBallz21
  • FireBallz21

The Ultimate Question: Doctor Who?

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

I mean all of those cities always being alive all the time. No loading screens. So, if you're in Los Santos, Liberty City is still alive. Cars are still driving, etc.

You mean all of them, played, mission only and mentioned?

Holy sh*t that would be epic but I can only predict many many years from today, maybe there will be some kind of GTA Ultimate with all the cities but

it will take MANY MANY MANY YEARS until Rockstar can do that, or another company ( god only knows ) makes a game like that within a small time period with advanced technology.

I'm also pretty sure that that thing Leslie said about adding cities to GTAO will take more than 2 years.

Only I hope that in this time period, Grand Theft Auto doesn't become Middle Life Crisis Simulator or Grand Sims Auto

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

1) San Andreas had 3 cities and no loading screens. It can be done.

2) What would the purpose of this 'alive all the time' serve? I mean, let's say you're in Los Santos and Liberty is pretty much a whole country away... What interaction can you have with them to justify the resource hog of having them active? 

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

2) What would the purpose of this 'alive all the time' serve? I mean, let's say you're in Los Santos and Liberty is pretty much a whole country away... What interaction can you have with them to justify the resource hog of having them active? 

Just for the pure wow factor. And I'm not talking about SA with the cities 300 feet away. I'm talking Morrowwind-size.

Just a dream, most likely never gonna happen though :(

Dope_0110
  • Dope_0110

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:34 PM Edited by Dope_0110, 08 December 2013 - 11:34 PM.

Just for the pure wow factor. And I'm not talking about SA with the cities 300 feet away. I'm talking Morrowwind-size.

How would you even know the cities are ''active''. How do you know that people in Paleto Bay don't drive cars while you're driving yours in Los Santos?

As I said earlier, it can easily be done, it's not a matter of hardware it's only a matter of time and resources to model them and make it all work. But you're just being ridiculous with that ''cities being alive while you're not even there'' comment. It's simply ridiculous.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:48 PM Edited by spamtackey, 08 December 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Just Cause 2 has no loading screens and is massive. It's not a matter of hardware anymore to not have loading screens. GTA V could have had other cities without loading screens. It has to do with how the game loads the areas. 

Generally if you can't ever see it (as in it is beyond the draw distance and maybe sometimes when you go in a building), it's not loaded at all. If you can see it in the distance, a low quality version is loaded so it looks like we're seeing it from far away. The closer we get more details are added in. This is why, when you go fast, you can run into the pop-in area. The game couldn't load things faster than you moved. This isn't something they should stop doing for the 'wow' factor. There would be no 'wow' factor. It would end up being something like 'wow this game looks like it should run on my (weaker hardware) but because 'Cockstar' is in league with Nvidia/ati and intel/amd they just want us to buy more expensive hardware!' 

There are things they should improve especially with the current system, but they should not load everything at once, which would require massive amounts of memory, CPU, and GPU power, just because they don't want to spend the time to design it right or to impress people. Making load times quick enough so that we don't notice any pop-in would be a great addition. Having a full population that changes over time (people move away or come to town and such) and can be wiped out would be amazing. Following peds from day-to-day would be great and could be done without having them fully loaded. These kinds of things would end up being 'wow' to those who care to notice. Wasting resources for the hell of it? I can't see the wow in that. 

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

Just Cause 2 has no loading screens and is massive. It's not a matter of hardware anymore to not have loading screens. GTA V could have had other cities without loading screens. It has to do with how the game loads the areas. 

Generally if you can't ever see it (as in it is beyond the draw distance and maybe sometimes when you go in a building), it's not loaded at all. If you can see it in the distance, a low quality version is loaded so it looks like we're seeing it from far away. The closer we get more details are added in. This is why, when you go fast, you can run into the pop-in area. The game couldn't load things faster than you moved. This isn't something they should stop doing for the 'wow' factor. There would be no 'wow' factor. It would end up being something like 'wow this game looks like it should run on my (weaker hardware) but because 'Cockstar' is in league with Nvidia/ati and intel/amd they just want us to buy more expensive hardware!' 

There are things they should improve especially with the current system, but they should not load everything at once, which would require massive amounts of memory, CPU, and GPU power, just because they don't want to spend the time to design it right or to impress people. Making load times quick enough so that we don't notice any pop-in would be a great addition. Having a full population that changes over time (people move away or come to town and such) and can be wiped out would be amazing. Following peds from day-to-day would be great and could be done without having them fully loaded. These kinds of things would end up being 'wow' to those who care to notice. Wasting resources for the hell of it? I can't see the wow in that. 

I know it's unnecessary and not plausible and all that jazz. I just think it'd be a cool idea. It's not meant to be taken seriously. I know how games work :p

gtaismyman
  • gtaismyman

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:03 AM Edited by gtaismyman, 09 December 2013 - 01:04 AM.

The Last Of Us will wins most GOTY than GTA V

average linear shooter with above average story.    give it a rest.

Did you even play the game or you just saying it just because you hate every Naughty Dog games

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:06 AM

IMO, its the fault of the gamers. Some people were just expecting away to much of this game. Gta 5 doesn't get love on his own damn forum...ironic

vahnx
  • vahnx

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:17 AM

f*ck Geoff Keighley and f*ck Spike. Geoff used to be cool on the show G4TV.com but then he became a total and utter fa**ot.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

IMO, its the fault of the gamers. Some people were just expecting away to much of this game. Gta 5 doesn't get love on his own damn forum...ironic

Still not as bad as GTA IV in its own forum in 2008.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:23 AM

Tbh I don't think GTA deserves GOTY, it is more or less a better looking GTA:IV, no fun vehicles like GTA:SA or Katanas or anything, the map size was also a huge cop out, you have one finely detailed albeit small city, then a huge country side that is absolutely boring and uneventful, kinda like just cause 2. The story mode was nothing to gape over either and the heists had to be the biggest disappointment with the game so far but just because its GTA it will win. There I said why I don't think it should win. I didn't play TLOU yet but I think AC:IV should be in this discussion, I liked that game so much I would buy it again for next gen. 

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:26 AM

Still not as bad as GTA IV in its own forum in 2008.

Wasn't so active back then, so can't tell. Maybe i do some forum digging, lol.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Tbh I don't think GTA deserves GOTY, it is more or less a better looking GTA:IV, no fun vehicles like GTA:SA or Katanas or anything, the map size was also a huge cop out, you have one finely detailed albeit small city, then a huge country side that is absolutely boring and uneventful, kinda like just cause 2. The story mode was nothing to gape over either and the heists had to be the biggest disappointment with the game so far but just because its GTA it will win. There I said why I don't think it should win. I didn't play TLOU yet but I think AC:IV should be in this discussion, I liked that game so much I would buy it again for next gen. 

No fun Vehicles? This game might have the best car selection of any GTA.

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

a jet and a tank, both were in GTA:SA,the jet was arguably better in SA as it was a VTOL. the cargobob hook wasn't in SA I think but the vehicle was, skylift and cutter are only in one mission and can't be used out of it, jb 700 only for one mission, etc.. They sacrificed quality for graphics. 

Zoobz
  • Zoobz

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:26 AM

GTA V won this award. Not GTA:Online.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

a jet and a tank, both were in GTA:SA,the jet was arguably better in SA as it was a VTOL. the cargobob hook wasn't in SA I think but the vehicle was, skylift and cutter are only in one mission and can't be used out of it, jb 700 only for one mission, etc.. They sacrificed quality for graphics. 

How about the Monroe, The Vacca, The Adder and the Entity XF? All knew cars to the GTA world and all great. If you are a fan of sports cars this game has a great selection.

TheMasterfocker
  • TheMasterfocker

Public Enemy #1

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

They absolutely did not sacrifice quality for graphics. How can you even think such a thing?

Dude, the AA is so bad that it hurts looking in the distance. They didn't sacrifice anything for graphic fidelity. 

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:54 AM Edited by darkdayz, 10 December 2013 - 10:10 AM.

2 well deserved game of the year titles for Rockstar games, who have, from the late 1990's redefined and remained unmatched in the open world genre, not only in the GTA franchise. There is no trophy that can define what they have accomplished in that time as developers. From me, congratulations on an amazing game, amongst many.

Be careful or you might be called a fanboy. You can't say positive stuff like that around here.

I am a GTA fan, and yes, I am male. That's why I'm here posting my praise to the game franchise on winning yet another award, and it's why I'm here on this GTA forum. I don't fear being called that, It doesn't make me angry like it does others. Liking something a lot means I have taste, that's all. Nothing negative has ever come from admiring something. I also have equal respect to people who don't like certain games, it's not in my benefit to judge as they have a different taste, doesn't mean their taste is wrong.

V is not perfect, it didn't win because it was perfect. It won for MANY factors as a complete game. Everything is taken into account, copies sold, how it plays, how people reacted to it. How many people still play it now, and all the small gameplay and devleopment details that made the game what it is. Other games did things better than V did, for example characters and storytelling. Which is why the storytelling and character awards went to different games, as a complete package, there was nothing nominated that could outperform GTA when taking everything into account, there is no argument really. The VGA's, now VGX are the don's of gaming awards, they wouldn't just give an award to a game because they felt they had to, it's all calculated. If people are honest, of all the people who wanted Last of Us to win, who is still playing it? I bet it's a small percentage. The majority of gamers with their current gen console plugged in is still playing GTA as illustrated by that most played November media release.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users