GTA V wins GOTY

139 replies to this topic
rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:55 AM

Steven Ogg didnt won, lost to Troy Baker as Joel (hope those TLoU fanboys can shut up now).
  • DeafMetal likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:58 AM

People here somehow seem f*cking flabbergasted that the majority of people actually like GTA 5. Wow.

• DeafMetal likes this

WhitValid
  • WhitValid

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:59 AM Edited by WhitValid, 08 December 2013 - 01:59 AM.

^ game sucks bro, face the music.

edit: as a script writer you should see that ;)

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

The story sucks ballsack. Didn't know that equates to the whole game, that has been critically acclaimed and has 7(?) world records, sucking.

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:06 AM

I didnt know that the script make the game, guess thats why they call it GAME of the year huh ?

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:09 AM Edited by 2281, 08 December 2013 - 02:09 AM.

I didnt know that the script make the game, guess thats why they call it GAME of the year huh ?

Biased, paid reviews and votes.

RyanM1995
  • RyanM1995

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:09 AM

A gta forum dedicated for fans of GTA and all you read about is people saying they don't like it.
  • Luna Lovegood likes this

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

A gta forum dedicated for fans of GTA and all you read about is people saying they don't like it.

That's correct. This is a discussion board, not an ass kissing board.

• Ixnay likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

Oh really? Care to prove that?

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

Care to prove why GTA V deserved GOTY?

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:17 AM Edited by TheMasterfocker, 08 December 2013 - 02:17 AM.

Care to prove why GTA V deserved GOTY?

Care to prove that there was bias going on, that people got paid for reviews, and that they got paid to vote.

I'll wait.

• rampage08 likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

Well deserved despite what people say. I have come to realize that gamers are some of the worst hipsters who hate anything popular I have ever seen.

• Apache-Cobra, Officer Ronson, KING2dor and 5 others like this

OGLuke
  • OGLuke

frickie van hardenburgs best buddy friend

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:18 AM

I don't even own a ps3 but i'd vote last of us as being goty over gta v any day of the week.

WhitValid
  • WhitValid

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:19 AM

I really hate to engage in discussion with one person in a thread, but I do think it is somewhat relevant--

Masterfocker,

Why do you write game scripts if they are a nonconsequential element of a game?

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

I really hate to engage in discussion with one person in a thread, but I do think it is somewhat relevant--

Masterfocker,

Why do you write game scripts if they are a nonconsequential element of a game?

Who said they are a nonconsequential element of a game?

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

2 well deserved game of the year titles for Rockstar games, who have, from the late 1990's redefined and remained unmatched in the open world genre, not only in the GTA franchise. There is no trophy that can define what they have accomplished in that time as developers. From me, congratulations on an amazing game, amongst many.

• KING2dor and IveGotNoValues like this

WhitValid
  • WhitValid

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

Well if you can say a story "sucks ballsack" and still call it GOTY, it is suggested that the story is nonconsequential. Do you see my reasoning?

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

2 well deserved game of the year titles for Rockstar games, who have, from the late 1990's redefined and remained unmatched in the open world genre, not only in the GTA franchise. There is no trophy that can define what they have accomplished in that time as developers. From me, congratulations on an amazing game, amongst many.

Be careful or you might be called a fanboy. You can't say positive stuff like that around here.

WhitValid
  • WhitValid

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

You can say well deserved if you explain why it is well deserved. Every single f*cking one of us paid AT least $60 for a good experience. WE GET to judge the product. This isn't religion. It's close, but no. It's capitalism. And with every purchase we're failing so.... so hard.

*joining a cult*

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:33 AM

Well if you can say a story "sucks ballsack" and still call it GOTY, it is suggested that the story is nonconsequential. Do you see my reasoning?

I can see your reasoning, but it's wrong. Or, at least, it's flawed. And let's remember, story quality is based off of opinion. Most will say TLoU story is amazing, but not everyone will say that.

The story of a game is not the game, unless we're talking about a fully cinematic game. GTA is not a fully cinematic game.

If you base GOTY off of story, then TLoU or Bioshock Infinite would've won. But they didn't.

They didn't win because the gameplay that came with them just didn't compare to GTA.

Both Bioshock Infinite and TLoU were repetitive and had little replay value. They were linear.

So, to conclude, story doesn't win you GOTY unless you bring amazing gameplay along with it.

No game did that this year, but GTA V's gameplay far exceeded that of its competitors, so it won.

• Bonnano and Carmain like this

Ixnay
  • Ixnay

bizarro starter kit

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

boo

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:36 AM

I can see your reasoning, but it's wrong. Or, at least, it's flawed. And let's remember, story quality is based off of opinion. Most will say TLoU story is amazing, but not everyone will say that.

The story of a game is not the game, unless we're talking about a fully cinematic game. GTA is not a fully cinematic game.

If you base GOTY off of story, then TLoU or Bioshock Infinite would've won. But they didn't.

They didn't win because the gameplay that came with them just didn't compare to GTA.

Both Bioshock Infinite and TLoU were repetitive and had little replay value. They were linear.

So, to conclude, story doesn't win you GOTY unless you bring amazing gameplay along with it.

No game did that this year, but GTA V's gameplay far exceeded that of its competitors, so it won.
Well said.
  • Geralt of Rivia, Bonnano and Carmain like this

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:40 AM

Jesus Christ.

A year ago- no scratch that; a couple MONTHS ago, some of y'all would've sh*t your pants in joy if you heard V was getting GOTY. Now today (yes I know it ain't perfect) people are seriously disgusted....like legitimately PISSED that it won like if Lego Star Wars won GOTY over TLOU.
No pleasing folks.

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

Can the haters just f*ck off for a moment? Just one? Please? 

Of course it deserved it. 

WhitValid
  • WhitValid

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:42 AM

Masterfocker,

Thanks for explaining your reasoning as to why GTAV wins GOTY when the story gets a 0/10. I may be jaded, but I found close to no redemption in the gameplay. As a script writer, I hope that you realize that what gets people excited about the mindless button pushing they are, in reality, engaging in, is an initiative to succeed. A goal to strive for and a reason to f*ck the enemy up, so to speak. All games are merely pushing buttons. It is your job, and the job of Rockstar, to ensure that we are not bored out of our minds- by evoking our energy and emotion toward a successful mission.

Rockstar knows how to write a brilliant script. I think this is why so many of us are confused as to why it didn't happen here.

I was bored.

That's not GOTY.

Thanks for your responses.

• 727gta likes this

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:52 AM

Masterfocker,

Thanks for explaining your reasoning as to why GTAV wins GOTY when the story gets a 0/10. I may be jaded, but I found close to no redemption in the gameplay. As a script writer, I hope that you realize that what gets people excited about the mindless button pushing they are, in reality, engaging in, is an initiative to succeed. A goal to strive for and a reason to f*ck the enemy up, so to speak. All games are merely pushing buttons. It is your job, and the job of Rockstar, to ensure that we are not bored out of our minds- by evoking our energy and emotion toward a successful mission.

Rockstar knows how to write a brilliant script. I think this is why so many of us are confused as to why it didn't happen here.

I was bored.

That's not GOTY.

Thanks for your responses.

GTA 5 is also an open world game. That's where the appeal comes from.

There's no missions when you're in freeroam. Freeroam lets you do whatever the f*ck you want, and that's a big reason why GTA is so popular. Want to blow sh*t up with jets? You can do that. Want to get in a huge firefight with the police? You can do that. Want to do some f*cking yoga? You can do that!

It goes back to what I said before. Bioshock Infinite never let you do any of that. TLoU never let you do any of that. They held your hand all the way through, while feeding you a great story. GTA did the complete opposite. They let you go play in the park by yourself, but they didn't feed you as much.

Also, the GTA story may be a 0/10 to you, but it won't be to everyone. I give it a 5, and yes, I consider that sucking balls, because I know what R* is capable of, and they dropped the ball on this one. However, it's hardly the worst story ever.

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

5 is pretty generous imo, the story sucked for a R* game, but the dialogues are the best in a GTA game.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:55 AM

Well deserved for them. Really innovated the GTA franchise in a whole new gameplay and huge amount of details, and a very different from the zombie story that we see all the time. My heart was between Bioshock Infinite and GTA V. But GTA V is just an amazing game. Haves some bad things here and there, but nothing that make the game terrible. Well deserved Rockstar!!! Especially Dan Houser for writing an amazing story.

Geralt of Rivia
  • Geralt of Rivia

Gwent Master

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:56 AM

5 is pretty generous imo, the story sucked for a R* game, but the dialogues are the best in a GTA game.

Yup, I factored that into the story score. 5 is bad for me, because I always see the best in a story. Really, if the beginning  didn't start off great, it would have less than a 5.

rampage08
  • rampage08

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:00 AM

Yup, I factored that into the story score. 5 is bad for me, because I always see the best in a story. Really, if the beginning  didn't start off great, it would have less than a 5.
Agreed, after the first heist, the story started went downhill. It's a good thing the cutscenes and dialogues were very enjoyable because it made me ignore of how bad the story was. The speech that Michael said during ending C wasnt as good as Niko's in the Revenge ending though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users