4. Jar head
5. Act of Valor
6. Zero DarknThirty
7. Stop loss

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:51 AM Edited by Werebot85, 07 December 2013 - 11:24 AM.

Some of my favourites are

Saving Private Ryan
The Hurt Locker
Three Kings
Pearl Harbor
Empire of the Sun
Black Hawk Down
The Patriot (Mel Gibson)
The Thin Red Line (1998)
Apocalypse Now
Inglorious Bastards

Hard to choose a favourite favourite, I love them all!

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

On the top:

platoon-original.jpg

Other I really like are Apocalypse Now Redux and Saving Private Ryan.

Shenmue18
  • Shenmue18

GTAF's #1 Trevor hater.

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Really? No one's mentioned Full Metal Jacket? That's one of the best war movies ever.

• Revenge of the Donut likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Really? No one's mentioned Full Metal Jacket? That's one of the best war movies ever.

Crap, I forgot it, I knew I was missing something :p

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

For me it's the Great Escape.  Honorable mention to Stalag 17.  Two very similar movies, but both are excellent.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:43 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 07 December 2013 - 05:43 PM.

Pearl Harbor probably. Haven't seen that many war movies to be honest.

Tropic Thunder?

Brobinski
  • Brobinski

PYPU

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:08 PM Edited by Brobinski, 07 December 2013 - 07:26 PM.

4. Jarhead
6. Zero Dark Thirty

I'd argue that these two aren't really "war" films, but they are both very good. Jarhead, if anything, is an anti-war film. their war is an exercise in frustration and boredom. The soldiers depicted in the film see nothing but horrors and don't ever engage in combat themselves. They're constantly being leapfrogged by the more technical divisions of the military who get to fly back to a cool base with beds instead of holes in the desert. They're made to feel useless and abused. It wasn't the war they were sold, and it's certainly not what Swoff followed his father and his grandfather into the marines for. It's basically the antithesis of all the "OOH-RAH go get some!" military recruitment films that make up the majority of the war film genre.

It's also a f*cking beautiful film. This bit is one of my favourite sequences in film. The oil-covered horse just wandering past Swoff is eery and otherworldly.

FXzllP9.gif

ZDT is just some very well produced, acted and directed piece of film-making that, while at times unforgiving, has a "the end justifies the means" attitude to torture and theme that just doesn't sit well with me at all.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

The Deer Hunter

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

Saving Private Ryan. Beautiful film, great story, great ending, amazing effects, superb acting. Just a wonderful film overall.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Pearl Harbor probably. Haven't seen that many war movies to be honest.

Tropic Thunder?

Get out of here.

Saving Private Ryan

Apocalypse Now

Great Escape

Longest Day

Full Metal Jacket

Jarhead

Platoon

Hamburger Hill

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

Inglorious Basterds

The Last Samurai (guess you could call that a war film)

Stalag 17

Das Boot

U-571

many more.. just about all I can name quickly off the top of my head.

Failure
  • Failure

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

The Pacific

The HBO series? Hell of a series--HBO at its finest.

Saw Platoon a few days ago and was not disappointed--great film, loved the ending. Inglorious, Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket are brilliant too (Inglorious Bastards in particular is one of my favourite films of all time).

I'll have to check out the others (need to see Saving Private Ryan at some point especially).

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

Lepa Sela Lepo Gore (Pretty Village, pretty flame)

Nafaka

Go West

Hotaru no haka (Tomb of the Fireflies)

Apocalypse Now

Savrseni Krug (Ideal Circle)

No man's Land

The Pianist (if that could be classified as war movie)

Black Hawk Down

Savior

Three Kings

Saving Private Ryan

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:02 AM

For me it will always be Full Metal Jacket, but I specifically came into this thread for a different reason:

I need you guys to help me understand what is so great about the film Apocalypse Now. I'm not going to start hating on it or acting like it's garbage, but I just watched it today for the first time, and I must say that I can't understand why it's held in such high regard. I'm assuming I must be missing something when I see websites like Rotten Tomatoes giving it a 99% rating while none of the reviewers seem to have anything bad to say about it. It just felt like it was all over the place from beginning to end, going from one mentally deranged character to the next and never really being clear about anything. I have to admit that I lost interest about halfway through and maybe didn't pay as much attention as I needed to throughout the second half of the film, but after everything I had heard about it I was just expecting something really great, and I was quite disappointed.

What am I missing?

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Enslaved

• The Connection
  • Finland
  • Most Talented GFX Artist 2013

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

Dr Strangelove
Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
The Great Dictator
U-96
Good Morning Vietnam
Casualties of War

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:25 PM Edited by esmittystud101, 23 December 2013 - 04:25 PM.

For me it will always be Full Metal Jacket, but I specifically came into this thread for a different reason:

I need you guys to help me understand what is so great about the film Apocalypse Now. I'm not going to start hating on it or acting like it's garbage, but I just watched it today for the first time, and I must say that I can't understand why it's held in such high regard. I'm assuming I must be missing something when I see websites like Rotten Tomatoes giving it a 99% rating while none of the reviewers seem to have anything bad to say about it. It just felt like it was all over the place from beginning to end, going from one mentally deranged character to the next and never really being clear about anything. I have to admit that I lost interest about halfway through and maybe didn't pay as much attention as I needed to throughout the second half of the film, but after everything I had heard about it I was just expecting something really great, and I was quite disappointed.

What am I missing?

I feel the same way torwards this film. Don't know whats so great about it. But yet I say the same thing every year at all the award shows when they select movies like this one for movie of the year. I said the same thing about The Hurt Locker. Boring.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:39 PM Edited by Black & White, 23 December 2013 - 04:41 PM.

1. Saving Private Ryan - This movie MUST be at the top at all times. Just a legendary movie. The best.  :rol: 

2. Platoon - An amazing movie too. A remarkable one.

3. Inglorious Bastards - A masterpiece. Quentin Tarantino did an awesome job on that movie.  :^: 

Muse182
  • Muse182

Homie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Wow, not much love for Enemy at the Gates? Still one of my favourites. As well as:

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

Saving Private Ryan

Black Hawk Down

The Hurt Locker

I feel like I'm missing some.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • France

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:11 AM

I love all the films mentioned here but my favorite would always be Behind Enemy Lines. I was kinda hoping that it'd get atleast one mention but f*ck me. Imo, it wasn't like every other damm war movie that has come out. I loved the "popcorn" style of this film. I personally thought it was a breath of fresh air. I really loved how this movie runs two stories at the same time and keeps us enthralled through both of them. At one point, you'll see those Owen Wilson-getting-chased-by-baddies scenes and then it change over to the less adrenaline charged but still interesting Gene Hackman-chasing-down-Owen-Wilson’s whereabouts’ scenes. They both really made for a BRILLIANT war movie.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

I like Behind Enemy Lines as well.  I wonder why Owen Wilson hasn't done more action movies.  Might be too old for it now, but he held up in that movie.  Plus it's a prerequisite for GTA fans to like that movie since Vladimir Mashkov's (spelling?) character seems to be the basis for Niko Bellic...

nikobellicsasha.jpg

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

New one for me Lone Survivor....it was amazing

I like Behind Enemy Lines as well.  I wonder why Owen Wilson hasn't done more action movies.  Might be too old for it now, but he held up in that movie.  Plus it's a prerequisite for GTA fans to like that movie since Vladimir Mashkov's (spelling?) character seems to be the basis for Niko Bellic...

nikobellicsasha.jpg

I thought Ownen Wilson was dead.....but yes behind enemy lines was pretty good (only the first one)

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

^ What? No! He still plays in a lot of movies. He tried to commit suicide a few years ago though... Obviously didn't work

tomuk3
  • tomuk3

cake

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:33 AM Edited by darthYENIK, 30 May 2014 - 05:09 PM.

Last night I watched Lone Survivor and it was such a phenomenal production.

It's based on modern war and the Seals, 2013. IMDB

Other mentions:

I've tried to avoid the well known movies; saving private ryan, 300, full metal jacket, etc.

We Were Soldiers, a movie from my childhood based on the war in Vietnam.

Trailer

Red Cliff is the best samurai based war movie I've ever came across.

Trailer

Windtalkers, Based on WWII, another favorite.

Trailer

Jason and the Argonauts, I'm sure a lot of you have seen the awesome 1963 version of this with the crazy animated skeletons, but there was actually a HD remake in 2000 that wasn't bad. I know it's only borderline a war movie but was still worth a mention.

Trailer

Walking with the Enemy, I loved this WWII based movie

Trailer

Grave of the fireflies, This anime movie was absolutely chilling, even if you aren't that into animated movie I would still give this a watch. Based on WWII in Japan.

Trailer

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:41 AM

Star Wars

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:15 PM

We Were Soliders is the cheesiest, cringey film I've watched. It reminds me of Republican Space Rangers - with the pile of dead Vietcong at the end an American flag stuck in them. It concluded as if the US won the war. Well, that was my memory of it. 

Casualties of War is good. It stars Sean Penn and Michael J. Fox. It shows Fox's character reluctant to get involved in the atrocities of war such as rape and murder of innocent people. I remember it not pandering too much to how you should have felt, morally. Nobody knows how they'd act in such circumstances  - being thousands of miles from home, watching your comrades being killed and being a teen and not fully developed. Film is good if you like to see the dirty side of war.

• tomuk3 likes this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

The Deer Hunter

• tomuk3 likes this

davidsmith_78
  • davidsmith_78

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:20 AM

I love to watch war movies. I gives a lot of courage and inspiration to me to face challenges. I have my own choice of top war movies and 300 tops the list.

• Mister Pink likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

I love to watch war movies. I gives a lot of courage and inspiration to me to face challenges. I have my own choice of top war movies and 300 tops the list.

Nice list. 

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Party Animal

• United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:54 PM

Grr... hate that list because it is topped with Saving Private Ryan... While the movie was well made (directing, acting, cinematography, etc)-- I didn't care for the story.

My top 10 11 (in no particular order)....

Glory

Braveheart

The Patriot

The Big Red One

Platoon

BAT 21

Operation Pacific (WWII Sub movie-- John Wayne)

The Three Kings

Heartbreak Ridge

Stalag 17 (WWII POW movie- William Holden)

The Great Escape

probably missing a few of my favorites.... none other come to mind at the moment

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:04 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 30 May 2014 - 05:10 PM.

Merged with previous topic. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users