Quantcast

» «
Photo

If there's something all the bitching has taught me...

62 replies to this topic
AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

True, but you gotta remember that nostalgia is powerfull.

''omg we can't ride trains and derail'' It was really boring imo.

Maybe you're not doing it right?

heh

No.

Ever heard of overrated and of opinion? That is mine, even derailing it was boring.

But shouldn't we be able to load vehicles onto a train by now and take'em somewhere and sell them? Or load crates, or whatever else. It's about advancing. R* just cut it out, like a lot of other things, but they didn't really add anything else to give us something to do. Thye same goes with being able to load vehicles onto the car haulers and take them somewhere and sell them. I thought this game was all about the dollar?

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

FINALLY! I found people that aren't blinded by nostalgia goggles! It kinda makes all my San Andreas rants feel worth it!

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:45 PM

@ Deaf

San Andreas is not my favorite GTA game, but it sure comes very close. And I can very much understand why people hold SA with such high regard. Simply because SA set a very high standard in GTA gaming, it was indeed groundbreaking and revolutionary. I know not every GTA fan highly rates SA, but the fact of the matter is that SA deserves the huge popularity and acclaim that it gets from its army of GTA fans. Some people like you really need to deal with this. I cannot believe you made a whole thread complaining about the continuing popularity of a 9 year old game. There is only one thing I can read from this and that's hatin' on SA, whether its deliberate or unknowing. It astounds me that just a certain amount of people wanna hate on this masterpiece of a game.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

@ Deaf

San Andreas is not my favorite GTA game, but it sure comes very close. And I can very much understand why people hold SA with such high regard. Simply because SA set a very high standard in GTA gaming, it was indeed groundbreaking and revolutionary. I know not every GTA fan highly rates SA, but the fact of the matter is that SA deserves the huge popularity and acclaim that it gets from its army of GTA fans. Some people like you really need to deal with this. I cannot believe you made a whole thread complaining about the continuing popularity of a 9 year old game. There is only one thing I can read from this and that's hatin' on SA, whether its deliberate or unknowing. It astounds me that just a certain amount of people wanna hate on this masterpiece of a game.

OP:

Is to realize how flawed San Andreas was. It was and still is an amazing game (and my 2nd best core GTA), but half of the sh*t the fanboys here mention is pretty half-assed in retrospective.

I mean, yeah, GTA V is not perfect, it's probably as flawed as San Andreas, but f*ck, SA isn't the second coming of Jesus, stop treating it like it is.

Criticism != hate.

• SonOfLiberty likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Tainted

• Antarctica

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

@ Deaf

To be fair DeafMetal wasn't hating on the game. Being critical isn't necessarily "hating".

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

I loved gta san andreas, but it seems as people are acting like it was the most perfect game ever. Well imo, it was not. Gang wars were annoying, draw distance, like every other game it would get boring at some points, radio would get repetitive, annoying bugs and glitches, and some other things that i forgot. Even for its time these things were annoying imo.

• DeafMetal likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:48 AM

@ Deaf

To be fair DeafMetal wasn't hating on the game. Being critical isn't necessarily "hating".

Bro, he made whole thread complaining about the continuous huge popularity of a NINE year old game. San Andreas is so old a game now, why still criticize it in such a manner like it was the most recent GTA before GTA V ? He genuinely may not be hating, but his actions kinda indicate it.

So many GTA fans still hugely revere, and are still in awe of SA, so what? Let that sh*t go, it's just a video game, no need to get upset about that. Seriously it just all seems so strange and stupid.

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

Blunt Smoking Philosopher

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:02 AM

What you don't seem to understand is that for the time that sh*t was amazing. Shouldn't GTA be a lot more amazing by now?

Honestly the only thing that I'd consider amazing about SA for its time was the map which back then was quite an achievement.

As for the side missions and such most of it was rehashes of what was in GTA III and VC. The new ones like valet, quarry, trucking etc IMO were nothing special and I found to be pointless grinds if anything.

To me VC was a more amazing game for its time. SA didn't impress me much outside of its map.

Yes.. I never finshed San Andreas story.... was just like wtf... too much going on lost interest... but the world.. the world was dope... I explored most of it and did lots of coop shenanigans with my buddies... thats what I remember mostly about San Andreas is the 2 person coop on the same screen mini game... 

That is the one thing I do miss... like I love playing games with people.. AT MY HOUSE... why I bought Diablo 3 and such... but i've alwyas wanted to play an open world game on the same console.... Gta San Andreas was/ is the closest thing unless you enjoy playing lego games... 

VC... story drew me in... I beat it before I even knew I beat it and wanted more after wards!.... Vercetti was the sh*t! 

CJ just didnt draw me in... but maybe it wasnt him, I think it was just how the story went... or the world was too much fun I got side tracked all the time... I dont remember what it was but something about San Andreas story never compelled me to finish... 

I do want to finish when it comes to Mobile... I hope to get myself the new NExus 7 to play it at work....  but overall the world of San Andreas was too good... I remember just leading the cops with my buddy on coop to that cabin in the woods you get and killing them all in there... poor bastards.. 

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

III is still my favourite. Car physics were unrealistic but really fun, Claude is the most badass protag, weapons were well balanced and each was useful in different situations, constant gang battles, peds went all squishy and crunchy everytime you ran over them, and above everything else, nostalgia.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:20 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 09 December 2013 - 04:21 AM.

@ Deaf

Bro, he made whole thread complaining about the continuous huge popularity of a NINE year old game. San Andreas is so old a game now, why still criticize it in such a manner like it was the most recent GTA before GTA V ? He genuinely may not be hating, but his actions kinda indicate it.

So many GTA fans still hugely revere, and are still in awe of SA, so what? Let that sh*t go, it's just a video game, no need to get upset about that. Seriously it just all seems so strange and stupid.

No, I made a thread about how all the bitching on the forums about how GTA San Andreas was perfect made me realize how imperfect it is. Again, I don't hate San Andreas, I freaking love the game; have probably 1k-3k hours logged into it between my PS2, PC, and PSN copy (and the mobile version whenever I get a good phone), not to mention the fact that it's my favorite ps2 game. I don't hate ANY games because they're subjective pieces of entertainment. However, I did not make this thread to praise the game, au contraire, mon ami, these are my thoughts in form of a response to all the accumulative, borderline blind praise the game has been getting on this section for quite a while now.

Since my biggest, most favorite hobby is playing video games and my very favorite game franchise is Grand Theft Auto, then I will want to discuss it with other like-minded people, as I have been doing for a little bit over a year now, the span of which includes criticisms of everything from I to V to fangirling for those same games.That is the entire point of the GTA forums.

This is a thread I made in response to so many people bringing up San Andreas into every conceivable conversation, presenting it as if it were, as I said in the OP, "the second coming of Jesus."  I would not be coming to the conclusions I did, and therefore making this thread, had it not been for people constantly putting it on the spot for conversation, which includes criticisms, not hate, criticism. That's what the board is for, to discuss GTA games, be it negatively, positively, and everything in between.This is the same reason why, despite V being my favorite game, I fully support every and any person giving their thoughts on it, though I DO like to make jokes at their expense when they are, in fact, "hating" (e.g., "COKSTAR SHAT OUT ANOTHRE MAX GAY").

If you think my tone is hateful, then I sincerely apologize for coming off the wrong way. This being a video game forum, and myself constantly having to type things on the keyboard for my own ventures and those I have been committed to, I like to keep things short and to the point. I also like to f*ck sh*t tits abuse the fact that we are f*ck sh*t tits allowed to use f*ck sh*t tits naughty words, which I find to be awesome, as every single one of the forums I have ever been a member of thus far has been almost fascist in taking down anything that may be even remotely offensive to anyone's dog.

Edit: f*ck sh*t tits

• SonOfLiberty likes this

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

I think the gang war arguments come more from wondering what other franchise could pull it off if not GTA. Gang wars seemed tacked on and had no depth in SA and V would've been the perfect chance to revamp it but apparently not. By revamp, I mean make territories actually serve a purpose (ie: warehouses to deal contraband), make vehicles more than machines that take you from point A to B (ie: weapon storage), ease the process of transporting huge gangs (ie: pack them in a semi truck trailer, yes it sounds bizarre but if not GTA then what game will have this?). Maybe next gen, weird thing is I've been expecting all this since last gen.

• Official General, DeafMetal and BFR579 like this

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:12 AM

And San Andreas is how old? 

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

III is still my favourite. Car physics were unrealistic but really fun, Claude is the most badass protag, weapons were well balanced and each was useful in different situations, constant gang battles, peds went all squishy and crunchy everytime you ran over them, and above everything else, nostalgia.

Not really balanced since the M16 had the power of the minigun (should have added a minigun and nerfed the m16) but I agree.  :^:

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

You're all a bunch of ungrateful children

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:51 AM

San Andreas (in my opinion) is the second best GTA game, with GTA V being the best. San Andreas is set the standards for vehicle variety and map size/diversity (yeah, I know San Andreas has actually has a fairly small map, but it looked huge on a PS2). San Andreas was great, WAS. I still play San Andreas for modding, and I notice that the game has aged terribly, I simply can't play the game without the 4x draw distance mod (using the 10x makes the map look ugly, Mount Chiliad looks like a pile of huge rocks), sadly there is no mod that fixes the interiors, words can't describe how much I hate the fact that the interiors do not match the exteriors. The pop-in on San Andreas also ruins one of the games best vehicles, the Hydra, low flying is simply not fun as trees pop in right in front of you, and speaking of aircraft, the plane handling leaves a lot to be desired.

rob243
  • rob243

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

there was never a coming of jesus

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

It's been nearly a decade since the game was released and the consoles on which you played it, was already replaced twice. (PS3-PS4)

diesel47
  • diesel47

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

When GTA VI comes out, the same people will be complaining about how GTA V was so great and all that. 

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:21 PM Edited by bish0p2004, 09 December 2013 - 01:24 PM.

When GTA VI comes out, the same people will be complaining about how GTA V was so great and all that. 

Well obviously. While it wont be the same people complaining, there are quite a few people who think V is a masterpiece now.

17th
  • 17th

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

Hate is because they LIED to us. There were screenshots with some features that aren't in final game. Examples? http://www.rockstarg...ot/843-1280.jpg - hunting. Available only in one mission

http://www.rockstarg...ot/836-1280.jpg - random police actions. Just random chases, looks like sh*t, always the same sh*t.

http://www.rockstarg...ot/792-1280.jpg - gang wars. Not included, lie.

http://www.rockstarg...ot/784-1280.jpg - heist planning. Just select one from two scripted scenarios, and choose few team members. That's all.

http://www.rockstarg...ot/701-1280.jpg - Chop and hydraulics. Chop is useless sh*t, because he escaping after few minutes, and hydraulics not included.

And that's only few their lies. Want more? Look at gameplay video. At the end they talking about offline features like buying houses. Of course not included. They talked about best driving physics. Of course it's a lie. Driving physics is f*cked up, you even can't go into skid, not to mention about drift. What they talked about weapons? Ah, "biggest armory in the series", and you have 3 pistols, 3 machine pistols, few carabines, rpg, minigun, knife and baseball bat. Where is katana? Where is flamethrower? Where is chainsaw? Why hammer is exclusively for special edition? What they talked about cars customization? Over 5000 modifications? So why the f*ck only things I can modify in most of cars are engine, brakes, wheels, and windows? Why I can't add spoiler, hydro, nitro? Why the hell "the most ambitious game" have only 3 hairstyles? Why "the biggest game" have 70 missions, when GTA IV had more (and GTA IV had one protagonist, and 5 times smaller map).

I'm too lazy to talk about their other lies, but it's not end. It's just beginning.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

Even for its time some things where annoying.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Save it for a rainy day

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:13 PM Edited by The Odyssey, 09 December 2013 - 02:21 PM.

Tbh V was more revolutionary for its time than SA.
V had a huge map and attention to detail in almost every aspect of the game. The amount of side missions is debatable but that's not really the first thing that comes to mind with innovation. When you look at the impact GTA III had on gaming, do you think of side missions?

Hate is because they LIED to us. There were screenshots with some features that aren't in final game. Examples? http://www.rockstarg...ot/843-1280.jpg - hunting. Available only in one mission

http://www.rockstarg...ot/836-1280.jpg - random police actions. Just random chases, looks like sh*t, always the same sh*t.

http://www.rockstarg...ot/792-1280.jpg - gang wars. Not included, lie.

http://www.rockstarg...ot/784-1280.jpg - heist planning. Just select one from two scripted scenarios, and choose few team members. That's all.

http://www.rockstarg...ot/701-1280.jpg - Chop and hydraulics. Chop is useless sh*t, because he escaping after few minutes, and hydraulics not included.

This is one of the stupidest things I've read on this forum. The 2nd point was the only valid one.
-Hunting is a side activity. You just need to complete Cletus' missions first.
-The gang war picture doesn't confirm anything. It's just a picture of Franklin in a green outfit shooting ballas out of his car. Proves nothing.
-How exactly did Rockstar lie to us with Heist Planning. All they said is that you could plan your heists, they didn't say it was complex.
-Chop is useful (be glad he actually Is in the game) and that picture doesn't prove hydraulics at all.

17th
  • 17th

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

-I don't know about hunting so ok

-Yeah, doesn't confirm anything. Just Franklin in gang clothes shooting to rival gang. It looks like gangs play big role in V

-Do you mean that planning heist = choose one from two scenarios? I don't think it's planning...

-For me Chop escaping after few minutes.

blakeney
  • blakeney

⚖☮▲

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

What you don't seem to understand is that for the time that sh*t was amazing. Shouldn't GTA  be a lot more amazing by now? 2013 GTA should have more, not less, right?

Yeah look at how much further sports and fps games have come... RPG's...RTS's.... they have all moved so far into the future...

Oh wait :|

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Yeah, there was a lot of stuff that was fun and a lot of stuff that was annoying.  The gang wars were frustrating, I forgot the exact reason but think it some sort of glitch or something that would always ruin it... maybe it was a rival gang member staying too far off the map or something... it was fun but I just remember there was something that always ruined it in the end.

Overall my ULTRA favorite thing to do was to use the Riot codes and try to get across the city alive... there would be cars exploding left and right... good times.

For all its warts SA was okay, but the thing that made it most memorable was that it set a new standard for the series... which is what made LC very disappointing to me (although it did capture NYC's "essence" to an extent)... IV looked great, but it lost a lot of its freedom, and there seemed to be a lot less interesting things to do... like for example: F**k bowling, where is my RIOT code (But we did get a Trashmaster code, so I guess that made up for it).

SA promised (not in writing) what the series could be... how it would evolve... You saw the things they get right and said "WOW"... and the things that sucked you said, well its gonna get better in the next game...

What a kick in the nuts that was.

Not to say LC was bad... it was just that it seemed the people who programed and designed LC, never even heard of SA, or hated it enough that they were determined to make LC different in their own way.

I think the nostalgia for SA was due to fans disappointment with LC not completely blowing SA away... which realistically is what you would expect given all the hype the new consoles had gotten before hand... you just naturally expected LC to be 10X better than SA and get you a cold beer and give you a back rub while you played... so when LC's hype faded and people see that a lot of their expectations were not met (whether realistic or not), it is natural that people will have a fondness for the thing that gave them the high expectations in the first place...

The good old days were not always so great, but your hope for a better future, which when not realized will always make those earlier days seem greater than they were.

My opinion is Rockstar should listen to the fans... really try reach out to the rational people. try and understand what it is that made the magic in the earlier games and try and build on it.

They really need to stop listening to people who tell them what they want to hear.

I have no hope for GTA 6 being better than 5... it will have some great features, great graphics but it will be flat and uninspired because Rockstar will keep thinking inside its box... its not going to hear the fans suggestions or do anything bold.

When 6 comes out, guaranteed 5 will seem like gold in fans eyes... just like with SA.

Brian359
  • Brian359

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

To me GTA IV made sense. I didn't like it but it made sense.

Strip the game right to mission structure that involves driving from point A to point B, blast everyone before heading to next mission. Rinse and repeat.

Obviously a lot of features of San Andreas didn't work so they were scrapped.

1.Burglary
I hated burglary and considering each city only had one van you could do it I won't miss it.

2.Quarry
Was a lot of fun.

3.Stealth
I know this is in both but people only use it if a mission demands it.

4.Gyms
Each city had a gym where you could change your melee moves.

5.Certain Aircraft
I'm talking about the Hydra and Hunter which V needs.

6.Dry Dock
The dry dock with the stunt checkpoints in San Fierro.

7.Lowriders
The stupid car bouncing minigame that I hated.

8.Dancing
Unnecessary in San Andreas and unnecessary in Ballad of Gay Tony.

9.Friends and Dates
In San Andreas Helena Wankstein was never even in and the constant phone calls in IV made me nearly snap my disc in 2.

10.Trucking
Fun but unnecessary.

First thing I remember when I first cranked up IV was the cars. They handled like a cinderblock on a skateboard although the Comet, Infernus, Super GT etc handled like slightly faster cinderboards.

What was not included from San Andreas was simply replaced with something else. A lot of people were going to moan regardless so let them moan and enjoy yourselves.

Hopefully see some of you soon.

lol232
  • lol232

The Golden Butcher

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:19 PM Edited by lol232, 09 December 2013 - 04:22 PM.

I still think SA was a funner game than core IV (come at me bro),

*Instant ban*

:pp

GTA IV was 10 times better than SA.
No wait, that's an understatement; 99999999 times better than SA.
Can I get a Commendation?

And yeah, pretty much what OP said, SA is overrated like f*ck.

-Do you mean that planning heist = choose one from two scenarios? I don't think it's planning...

What do you need more when it comes to planning?
You've got the crew, you've got the cut.

Speak English, please.

Distrom
  • Distrom

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

-I don't know about hunting so ok
-Yeah, doesn't confirm anything. Just Franklin in gang clothes shooting to rival gang. It looks like gangs play big role in V

While I look at your profile pic and your posts (most of them are rants) I can only imagine you crying at how R* hurted your weak feelings.
Just because you expected way too much things from the heist planning and Chop, doesn't mean they lied, you even said they lied about hunting, and hunting IS indeed in the game, I can only agree with property buying.
Whipe your tears, leave the forums and sell the game (if you haven't yet of course)

17th
  • 17th

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Why you commented only first half of my post? Please read second half, and then we will discuss, because R* lied to us and it's a fact.

I was expected too much from planning? They talked about it like about something new, but it's just two scripted scenarios. Maybe they should go much more deep into this? Like creating our escape ways, or maybe going to the bank when it's empty (in night), or maybe some sort of editor, so we will create our own waypoints, tasks for every team member, or I don't know... Something we've never seen before. But no. Let's make two scenarios and hype it to maximum so we will get sh*tload of money before end of generation.

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

Police Officer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

17th

Actually there are two scenarios to choose from, but they play differently depending on how you do some certain tasks and who you choose in the crew, so it's not entirely scripted.

And it's a fact that they didn't lie to us, you lied to yourself in the inside.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I still think SA was a funner game than core IV (come at me bro),

*Instant ban*

:pp

GTA IV was 10 times better than SA.
No wait, that's an understatement; 99999999 times better than SA.
Can I get a Commendation?

Did you met the shark in gta iv? Oh wait you can't.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users